Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Managed to get 5 matches in with 2 goon buds. Won our first game which felt awesome.

Game is gud. Runs well, plays well, calsses seem solid, guns feel great.

Would recommend if the god drat login servers wouldn't poo poo the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the decision to make this game was made by EA and not Respawn.

The game still smells of placenta, give it time.

It's ABSOLUTELY an EA move.

How do we compete with Fortnite and PUBG money?

Who's got a franchise we can leverage that we own?

Hey, Respawn, go make us a Battle Royale gamr with lootboxes weaved in as subtly as you can so we don't get caught like with Battlefront 2.

Now :toughguy:.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I played a round, thought about how the round I just played was two 30-second encounters stretched over 12 minutes and realized not even Respawn can make me care about a battle royale game.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

s.i.r.e. posted:

How long does everyone thing this will last? I'll give it two months before it's barren.

I remember posting about pubg before it was on steam in alpha and everyone said it would be dead within month of launching lol.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Got a W on my first round. Game is super great.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's ABSOLUTELY an EA move.

How do we compete with Fortnite and PUBG money?

Who's got a franchise we can leverage that we own?

Hey, Respawn, go make us a Battle Royale gamr with lootboxes weaved in as subtly as you can so we don't get caught like with Battlefront 2.

Now :toughguy:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHsvF_QBYqw

According to Jackfrags, Respawn has been stressing that this is their idea.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
It isn't Titanfall but it seems pretty solid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harminoff posted:

I remember posting about pubg before it was on steam in alpha and everyone said it would be dead within month of launching lol.

That's not the same thing. There's only so many players with so much free time to go around, and Apex Legends has to compete with, and pull players away from, Fortnite AND PUBG for the forseeable future to survive. That is a brutally tall order to fill, and nigh-impossible in the best circumstances with a team that actually wants to build a Battle Royale game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing Titanfall 2 right now instead, yeah, that's right, I am an activist.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apex Legends has to compete with, and pull players away from, Fortnite AND PUBG for the forseeable future to survive.
I don't play either of those games but might enjoy Apex Legends (too tired right now to test it). They're all BR games but I don't think they're that similar.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Is the prowler a new gun? It's the only one I don't recognize from Titanfall.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Despite my misgivings I'm installing Origin to give this a try. I wonder how much this will affect the Origin install base.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

panda clue posted:

Honestly, it was probably either this game (Apex) gets made, or nothing gets made. I seriously doubt that the passion people at Respawn were super enthusiastic to drop their dream franchise for the sake of pumping out a BR game as fast as possible. I could be wrong, but I would not at all be surprised to find out that they had to do this to keep their company afloat.

People ITT really should be rooting for this game, because if it does well it means Respawn might have the capital to actually make TF3. Given the sales of 1 and 2, I honestly never expected 3 would be a thing that would actually happen. This gives me a shred of hope.

Some of yall are trying to make it out like Respawn just wanted to give the middle finger to all of their fans for literally no reason, which honestly doesn't make much sense to me.

Yea. If the Titanfall brand was strong enough to sell a Titanfall 3, then this would be called Titanfall Apex.

I hope it’s fun and I hope it does well for them so they continue to exist.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I loved Titanfall, but I also really like Apex Legends so far. There are a lot of games in this genre, but three key differentiators for AL compared to both PUBG and Fortnite are that the gunplay, movement, and framerate all feel great.

Those three things have always been big drivers for my lack of interest in battle royales. I miss wall-running though!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Symetrique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHsvF_QBYqw

According to Jackfrags, Respawn has been stressing that this is their idea.

If this were Respawn's idea then they're dumb as poo poo, but they're also not going to put the blame on EA as they're squeezing the trigger to the gun that's against Respawn's head.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't play either of those games but might enjoy Apex Legends (too tired right now to test it). They're all BR games but I don't think they're that similar.

Apex Legends isn't really doing all that much different mechanically from Fortnite other than Overwatch-esque Heroes and abilities. 90% of the DNA of Apex is lifted straight out of Fortnite.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not the same thing. There's only so many players with so much free time to go around, and Apex Legends has to compete with, and pull players away from, Fortnite AND PUBG for the forseeable future to survive. That is a brutally tall order to fill, and nigh-impossible in the best circumstances with a team that actually wants to build a Battle Royale game.

Not necessarily true, they could bring people into the fold who don't normally play BRs. Grow the market segment based on differentiation from the competition.

I mean, I don't see how that could work, but some actuary at EA does. Who the heck is just now getting into BRs and using Apex Legends to do it? Like one of the things I've thought about is "Co-Op Royale" where you and 99 other players try to hold the line against a swarm of AI enemies like Earth Defense Force. You slowly fall back and are picked off until there's only a couple left, then those survivors have to get to an evac point while under fire from the enemies. That would be something truly different that you could rope new players in with. But Apex Legends is, like s.i.r.e. says, a lot like the competition.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 5, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The BR market segment is so huge that you only need to carve off a sliver to make a shitton of cash, and if you do manage to wangle yourself a bigger piece of that pie then it's loving megabucks time. It's not difficult to see why they chose to go in this direction.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

If this were Respawn's idea then they're dumb as poo poo, but they're also not going to put the blame on EA as they're squeezing the trigger to the gun that's against Respawn's head.

Apex Legends isn't really doing all that much different mechanically from Fortnite other than Overwatch-esque Heroes and abilities. 90% of the DNA of Apex is lifted straight out of Fortnite.

Then you're pretty much ignoring Respawn's own comments and have already made up your mind on who is responsible for this. Judging by EA's track record, thats fair, but lets not pretend that Respawn has no agency here.

Respawn still has a Star Wars game slated to come out this year, so if that gets canceled within a month or two, then the studio is definitely dead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bardeh posted:

The BR market segment is so huge that you only need to carve off a sliver to make a shitton of cash, and if you do manage to wangle yourself a bigger piece of that pie then it's loving megabucks time. It's not difficult to see why they chose to go in this direction.

Do we actually know how big the BR market segment is, though? Is there any research?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was the smart move? Releasing a game with a high skill ceiling and complex inputs that no one will play and will be selling for $20 within 3 months?

We are lucky we even got TF2.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

What was the smart move? Releasing a game with a high skill ceiling and complex inputs that no one will play and will be selling for $20 within 3 months?

If they hadn't bothered with their half-assed singleplayer and just released Titanfall as a multiplayer only thing at a reduced price I think it would've turned out a lot better

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hot take there that the pretty much universally praised single player campaign was half assed.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do we actually know how big the BR market segment is, though? Is there any research?

I'm sure there is, but I'm on my phone and can't be bothered to go hunting right now. But look at PUBG's numbers on Steam. Look at Fortnite which is by FAR the biggest game in the world right now in terms of media attention/cultural impact and almost certainly playerbase and revenue too.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can this be played solo or is it only groups?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Lemming posted:

If they hadn't bothered with their half-assed singleplayer and just released Titanfall as a multiplayer only thing at a reduced price I think it would've turned out a lot better

TF2 singleplayer campaign was the best in probably a decade.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

Come on man, the single player was not half-assed. It was short but very full-assed.

Bardeh posted:

I'm sure there is, but I'm on my phone and can't be bothered to go hunting right now. But look at PUBG's numbers on Steam. Look at Fortnite which is by FAR the biggest game in the world right now in terms of media attention/cultural impact and almost certainly playerbase and revenue too.

Yeah but we don't know the total revenue of them, 1 billion a year is a lot of money for 3 companies to split but a sliver of that isn't going to keep you afloat. Just wondering if there's a total BR market spend for 2018, I would love to see that. Some cursory Google did not turn anything up.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bardeh posted:

For that to work, you need to hold onto said share, and not have people try a few rounds before falling back to PUBG or Fortnite where they've already literally invested money as well as time into.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Uuuuuuuugh he was talking about Titanfall 1 and I clearly was too, the single player in that game was the multiplayer maps with bots (edit: right or players at the start but lol) and was clearly half assed. I know TF2 singleplayer was great and universally praised.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Titanfall 3 and Respawn are dead. Either Apex Legends crashes and burns and EA shoots the studio for failing them within the year (probable),or it anyone with an ounce of sense bails on the studio and it plods along in name only.

Either way, Respawn as you know it is done. Long-term service games and MMO's are the kiss of death to a small studio, nevermind EA-mandated ones.

Except Respawn is EA's premier dev studio right now and their only vehicle for maintaining the Disney Star Wars license going forward. My guess is that Respawn and EA are probably pretty close atm and have no issue scratching each others backs. Zampella is no stranger to airing his dirty laundry (having been through many dev cycles with big companies before when inventing the Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty franchises)...but I've seen none of his characteristic ire in recent months. This leads me to believe that the same leak that accurately mentioned the existence of Apex is correct about TF3 having switched graphical engines for future hardware. Respawn has been dev'ing 3 games then: Apex dev'd by their B-Team on modified Source, and Jedi: Fallen Order / Titanfall 3 on Frostbyte. I think they expect Apex to be a stopgap cashcow while the trend is still hot, which is probably a fair assumption. If it wasn't too late for CoD to successfully get in on the trend 4 months ago then it ain't too late now, and Apex is decidedly more polished than the other BR games on the market.

That being said, Apex may or may not be my jam at all (though I am impressed with how polished and seamless it is right out the gate; like compare this to Anthem :lol:), but nothing really suggests atm that Respawn is in a tight, in fact all signs point to them having a fairly privileged position within EA. I think the picture will be a bit clearer at E3 when we see Fallen Order.

Lemming posted:

LMAO get the gently caress outta here

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For that to work, you need to hold onto said share, and not have people try a few rounds before falling back to PUBG or Fortnite where they've already literally invested money as well as time into.

Well yeah, of course. And I think Respawn have given themselves a decent chance of doing that by releasing a polished product with enough to differentiate itself from those games.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Lemming posted:

Uuuuuuuugh he was talking about Titanfall 1 and I clearly was too, the single player in that game was the multiplayer maps with bots (edit: right or players at the start but lol) and was clearly half assed. I know TF2 singleplayer was great and universally praised.

Oh yeah the whole multiplayer campaign thing was really poorly executed.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Why the gently caress is Apex Legends relegated to the TF2 thread. This is seriously dumb.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

Yeah I won't disagree there, Titanfall 1 was in many ways a proof of concept that led to Titanfall 2 which was much more polished both on the single-player and multiplayer sides.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

truther posted:

Why the gently caress is Apex Legends relegated to the TF2 thread. This is seriously dumb.

Make a thread. Be the change you want to see. People will still shitpost about TF2 in it tho, I guarantee it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AdmiralViscen posted:

I do think releasing a unique product rather than a stale cash grab is a better idea, yes.

Spaseman posted:

Can this be played solo or is it only groups?

Groups only.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Groups only.

I imagine this will change. I know the characters are all designed to be part of a team, but solo play is a big part of these games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

truther posted:

Make a thread then

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Lemming posted:

Releasing TF2 without its known to be amazing SP would be a bigger travesty than not releasing a theoretical TF3 of unknown quality.

People don’t seem to want to buy TF2 even though it’s like $5 every month. The dream is dead

Edit - Oh I see. I meant that TF1’s sales were bad enough that we really had no reason to expect a 2, and then having a second game bomb should leave no surprise at the absence of a 3.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ yes exactly, I agree with you. More or less I think they fumbled the launch of the first game and if they did a better job then TF2 would've been more successful, and I agree we were more or less lucky to have TF2 at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So did they take out the parkour because it was too hard for most players?

I'm not ridiculing the decision (as unfortunate as it is), just trying to understand it.