Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

I got a creative flight totem from a mob drop. but im 1305 xp, need 2000 to equip it >< and im not doing anything to get xp. Will bee line for xp crops today i think

Make a mob farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Since from that screenshot it appears PO3 has DarkUtils, you can make a pretty cheap Player Trap to push mobs onto (using vector plates, which enemies spawn on top of!) and it'll drop both player-only drops and XP, and you can store the XP via a number of collection means. For example the absorption hopper is in most mod packs, plug that into an adjacent tank, and slap a faucet on that to drink up the delicious XP.
You'll be level 120 before you know it.

Oh also vector plates can be placed on Cursed Earth for ridiculous spawning speeds.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Since from that screenshot it appears PO3 has DarkUtils, you can make a pretty cheap Player Trap to push mobs onto (using vector plates, which enemies spawn on top of!) and it'll drop both player-only drops and XP, and you can store the XP via a number of collection means. For example the absorption hopper is in most mod packs, plug that into an adjacent tank, and slap a faucet on that to drink up the delicious XP.
You'll be level 120 before you know it.

Oh also vector plates can be placed on Cursed Earth for ridiculous spawning speeds.

It's hard to see, but those vector plates are indeed on top of cursed earth. The black smoke particles are billowing out from underneath them. I'm using a mob masher because they one-shot everything and have fortune 10 on them, as well as beheading if I could be bothered to craft 80 non-stackable helmets as ingredients.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I made an Extreme Reactor in Ultimate Alchemy. Wow, it's bad. Like 250 rf/t with a 3x3 reactor, I can't imagine scaling it up is going to improve that by a factor of 10 and I'm getting 1500 rf/t from overclocked generators.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Talonos (the guy who made Blightfall) joined ExactChange and streamed a preview of his new pack, Captive Planet today. I watched a vod of the stream here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/374018881#%23

I jotted some notes down during the stream.

- No date given for release or public beta. It sounds pretty far from either of those.
- This will be a 1.12 modpack, with around 120 mods. Of those 120, approximately 12 will be major content mods.
- The modpack has a static map ala blightfall, and takes place on an archipelago.
- No questbook - but extensive NPC quests. As you complete quests and recruit characters, NPC's will rebuild a town on the starter island. There are designated lots within this town so you can still build your own base.
- Ores (and probably other stuff) is staged ala Sevtech. You'll need to solve quests/advance to advance ages.
- Anything equipped or on your hotbar stay with you on death. everything else has a chance of staying with you or dropping to a gravesite upon death.
- Spice of life carrot edition and Nutrition cover food mods. There was a fair amount of discussion of trying to reward players (via nutrition buffs and permanently increasing max heats) for eating a unique diet.

The major content mods I noticed mention are:

- Immersive Engineering
- Thermal Expansion
- Thaumcraft
- Botania
- Advanced Rocketry

I hope this comes out eventually. Blightfall is still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and the Blightfall thread here is what led me to these forums.

*edit* - fixed the link to the correct VOD

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Oh man. I totally forgot about that. Yeah ive got a few stacks of the solid xp ><

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bann posted:

Talonos (the guy who made Blightfall) joined ExactChange and streamed a preview of his new pack, Captive Planet today. I watched a vod of the stream here:

- No date given for release or public beta. It sounds pretty far from either of those.
- This will be a 1.12 modpack, with around 120 mods. Of those 120, approximately 12 will be major content mods.
- The modpack has a static map ala blightfall, and takes place on an archipelago.
- No questbook - but extensive NPC quests. As you complete quests and recruit characters, NPC's will rebuild a town on the starter island. There are designated lots within this town so you can still build your own base.
- Ores (and probably other stuff) is staged ala Sevtech. You'll need to solve quests/advance to advance ages.
- Anything equipped or on your hotbar stay with you on death. everything else has a chance of staying with you or dropping to a gravesite upon death.
- Spice of life carrot edition and Nutrition cover food mods. There was a fair amount of discussion of trying to reward players (via nutrition buffs and permanently increasing max heats) for eating a unique diet.

- Immersive Engineering
- Thermal Expansion
- Thaumcraft
- Botania
- Advanced Rocketry

I hope this comes out eventually. Blightfall is still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and the Blightfall thread here is what led me to these forums.

Awesome news! I'm hype for basically any large-scale custom map questing pack.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bann posted:

- Immersive Engineering
- Thermal Expansion
- Thaumcraft
- Botania
- Advanced Rocketry

Man this sounds rad as hell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bann posted:

- Immersive Engineering
- Thermal Expansion
- Thaumcraft
- Botania
- Advanced Rocketry

oh poo poo, nice

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Those all sound pretty good, except Advanced Rocketry. I've never enjoyed it (or Galacticraft) in any modpack it's ever been in.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Gentlemen, behold! CLAY!

Also behold my ugly base.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

Oh man. I totally forgot about that. Yeah ive got a few stacks of the solid xp ><

Shift + right click to consume a stack. You might already know that, but afaik it isn't documented so no on down

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Whalley posted:

Shift + right click to consume a stack. You might already know that, but afaik it isn't documented so no on down

Oh, if you die with flight, it drops. So you need another 83 or so levels of xp to put it back in......

blast protection here i come.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Is anyone having trouble with really unstable cursed earth mob farms in PO3. I had to turn off mob greifing, because chunks of it kept getting blown up.

Not to mention some abyssalcraft mobs straight up just eating the walls.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Arkitektbmw posted:

Is anyone having trouble with really unstable cursed earth mob farms in PO3. I had to turn off mob greifing, because chunks of it kept getting blown up.

Mine keeps dying. I think the demon animals start fires which eats away the earth.

You have the farm in your claimed chunk? that should get rid fo most of the griefing, but not the fire

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I honestly always turn off mobgriefing it's just too annoying.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I know everyone loves flight methods but the last couple times I've played I've been using alternative travel methods.

One fun and semi early option is to make a slimestring and some slime boots. Hold the string and look down in the opposite direction you want to go, and it will launch you and the boots will let you jump a few times too. Not bad.

But now I'm been using...I think it's called an Ender Hook? it's a grapple, and it's great. combine with the climbing glove bauble and you're basically Spider-Man. This thing let's me travel so fast it makes my server restart from generating too many chunks at once. Works best with lost cities and Twilight Forest but useful pretty much anywhere. something to prevent fall damage is also helpful here, I've been using an air charm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arkitektbmw posted:

Creepers go off at the slightest provocation in PO3, so make sure there aren't any gaps for them to see through. If you're using half-slabs to block light while still allowing you to peek in, don't do that. Use dark glass instead. Also, making sure to kill them quickly reduces the chance that they'll explode; a mob masher with 10 sharpness upgrades is highly recommended; it'll one shot them.

Also, yeah, shoggoths are a problem. If you let a lot of them pile up in your cursed earth farm, they'll start constructing monoliths, which will punch through the walls. They're immune to every kind of automated killing method I've tried, as well as immune to ranged damage. In a creative test world, I tried Killer Joe, the IF mob crusher, the DE mob grinder, a mechanical user with a sword. None worked. However, lava will kill them, so I'm considering a system to flood my cursed earth chamber with lava to clear them out.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bann posted:

Talonos (the guy who made Blightfall) joined ExactChange and streamed a preview of his new pack, Captive Planet today.

This sounds really cool for sure!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Those all sound pretty good, except Immersive Engineering. I've never enjoyed it in any modpack it's ever been in.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

Those all sound pretty good, except Immersive Engineering. I've never enjoyed it in any modpack it's ever been in.

It may be that IE is just not for you with the slight possibility you've played bad modpacks or ones that have misused IE.

And to be fair, IE does have a huge issues when it's either combined with other tech mods that it's comparatively slow to get going and issues when it's not where the big stuff at the end doesn't really feel worth it.

Absolutely killer presentation that makes for fantastic looking builds, though.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Creepers go off at the slightest provocation in PO3, so make sure there aren't any gaps for them to see through. If you're using half-slabs to block light while still allowing you to peek in, don't do that. Use dark glass instead. Also, making sure to kill them quickly reduces the chance that they'll explode; a mob masher with 10 sharpness upgrades is highly recommended; it'll one shot them.

Also, yeah, shoggoths are a problem. If you let a lot of them pile up in your cursed earth farm, they'll start constructing monoliths, which will punch through the walls. They're immune to every kind of automated killing method I've tried, as well as immune to ranged damage. In a creative test world, I tried Killer Joe, the IF mob crusher, the DE mob grinder, a mechanical user with a sword. None worked. However, lava will kill them, so I'm considering a system to flood my cursed earth chamber with lava to clear them out.

My farm is completely closed up. No peeky holes. I stand on top of it and still hear stuff exploding. I am using a mob masher with 10 sharpness upgrades.

From what I can tell, I think blizzes are exploding. Apparently they've extended the blaze explosions to all of it's cousins.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arkitektbmw posted:

My farm is completely closed up. No peeky holes. I stand on top of it and still hear stuff exploding. I am using a mob masher with 10 sharpness upgrades.

From what I can tell, I think blizzes are exploding. Apparently they've extended the blaze explosions to all of it's cousins.

Aha, that would be the difference, yeah. My void island is all Deep Ocean biome, so I don't get any COFH blazealikes.

e: Try the actually additions shock absorber, maybe?

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 3, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

How the heck does the dank null docking station work? I've tried putting it on top of an ME interface, on top of an AA crate, on top of an itemduct with a servo pulling from it -- nothing.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How the heck does the dank null docking station work? I've tried putting it on top of an ME interface, on top of an AA crate, on top of an itemduct with a servo pulling from it -- nothing.

Do you have the docking station on a mode where it's taking out the right amount? For example if it's on "Leave 64 of each item" it won't do anything if you don't have over a stack of anything. Not sure what the default is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

Do you have the docking station on a mode where it's taking out the right amount? For example if it's on "Leave 64 of each item" it won't do anything if you don't have over a stack of anything. Not sure what the default is.

The docking station itself has modes? How do you change them?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bann posted:

- Immersive Engineering
- Thermal Expansion
- Thaumcraft
- Botania
- Advanced Rocketry

PUT IT IN MY MOUTH

e: I think Talonos is registered here, so if they read this: my favorite incentive for eating a varied diet I've seen is Enigmatica, where every 10 unique food items gives you another maximum health point.

Vib Rib posted:

Those all sound pretty good, except Advanced Rocketry. I've never enjoyed it (or Galacticraft) in any modpack it's ever been in.

I think if Talonos can make a modpack centered around thaumcraft 4 amazing he can make IE work.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 4, 2019

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The docking station itself has modes? How do you change them?

Control-left click the item in the Dank Null to change the extraction rule for that item. It defaults to do not extract.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

President Ark posted:

PUT IT IN MY MOUTH

e: I think Talonos is registered here, so if they read this: my favorite incentive for eating a varied diet I've seen is Enigmatica, where every 10 unique food items gives you another maximum health point.

iirc the mods used for it are a mixture of nutrition which gives you buffs if you eat varied amounts of different food groups and one explicitly where eating unique foods will give you more permanent health points over time instead of the spice of life used in blightfall

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

President Ark posted:

PUT IT IN MY MOUTH

Johnny Joestar posted:

iirc the mods used for it are a mixture of nutrition which gives you buffs if you eat varied amounts of different food groups and one explicitly where eating unique foods will give you more permanent health points over time instead of the spice of life used in blightfall

Yup, those're the ones. Talonos technically has an account here, but he doesn't use it. I'm irl friends with him though and I like to tell him when people have stuff to say about his work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make whatever is pulling from it redstone toggleable. It's weird about block updates, so you gotta flip a switch sometimes. Also make sure each stack has the right extraction mode.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Syka posted:

Yup, those're the ones. Talonos technically has an account here, but he doesn't use it. I'm irl friends with him though and I like to tell him when people have stuff to say about his work.

If he wants custom configs for food flavors (spicy, savory, salty, etc.) that give buffs, let me know. I have some that DPT uses.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What up, Tinker I/O Smart Output? You'll dump me one ingot, but if I want to cast a block, I have to make the level 4 upgrade (all previous upgrades plus diamonds) and then smash it with 4 basins and 4 obsidian. Is it really that super-duper-special from just ducting into a chest?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What up, Tinker I/O Smart Output? You'll dump me one ingot, but if I want to cast a block, I have to make the level 4 upgrade (all previous upgrades plus diamonds) and then smash it with 4 basins and 4 obsidian. Is it really that super-duper-special from just ducting into a chest?

It cools instantly though. So probably a fair bit fastr than draining into 4 basins, but yeah, i rarely make it, just pipe to something that auto crafts blocks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

just pipe to something that auto crafts blocks.

What's this now? Do you mean just cast ingots and assemble the blocks from bricks?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey yall, I've been fiddling around in Tekkit Legends and I've run into an issue with the Philosopher's Stone. All the fuel recipes from Coal up to Aeternalis Fuel work fine; however, the recipe to go from Charcoal to Coal, which is key to the whole reusable mass production thing I want to set up, seems to be missing from the install. The Tekkit Classic wiki seems to show that it should be there, but it's not in my game.

Is the charcoal -> coal thing something they added later and it's not supposed to be in Legends? Or is something hosed up?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Syka posted:

make sure to tell him that blightfall is still the pinnacle of minecraft modpacks for me to this day

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tell him blightfall is the worst gaming experience i've ever had, and make a note of his expression. then tell him that was lies and it was actually amazing

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've found splitting blightfall into two parts is better for describing it: The first half with all of the exploration is grade-A fun. The second half with clearing taint is a horrible unfun slog. A pack that does more of the first and eliminates the second would be aces.

Though I will say the first part did have the problem of the spreading taint putting a vague time pressure feeling to everything, especially because once it spread it made the landscape pretty boring.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The Blightbuster mod is really neat though.