Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trabant posted:

Well, I'll be damned -- actual multi-track drifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnTVbsfixfM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Cleaning and restoring the ceiling Grand Central Station was basically the same- they even left a square of tobacco sludge on the ceiling:

Big link- the crab is pointing at it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/NYC_Grand_Central_Terminal_ceiling.jpg

Are you saying they left Cancer pointing at smoke stains?

They did that on purpose, right?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

VKing posted:

When I was in the army, a guy in my battalion accidentally put a metal jerry can full of JP8 across the terminals of the battery in the Bv-206 he was doing maintainance on (the batteries are under one of the rear seats, so he thought he was putting the can on the seat). The depot sprinkler system only had water, not foam. Bonus fun fact: The -206 is mostly made of glass fiber and plastic.

As an aside, the armoury had a framed photograph of a G3 that a previous recruit had decided to stress test by filling the barrel with powder from three or four blanks and firing it with another blank stuffed in the muzzle. Amazingly, the flash hider was strong enough to hold the front end of the barrel in one piece.

I'm still in, and people still consistently weld wrenches in place between battery terminals and the chassis. This is despite being told ad infinitum to disconnect negative first. Naw. I'll just work on the closest one I can see/reach and WHOOPSIE melted a wrench!

One of my absolute favourite incidents was a runaway generator, though. The solenoid controlling the fuel had been beaten/rusted to poo poo, and got stuck in place - which meant that the usual cutoffs weren't doing anything: the diesel was still getting fuel, so it wasn't gonna stop for something silly like the sigs guys pushing buttons and flipping switches.
At this point, you have a few choices:
A) Cut off the fuel - there's little valves for it between the tank and fuel pump, and between the pump and engine.
B) Find the aforementioned linkage and tug it into place to shut off flow - gotta know where to look, though.
C) Block the air intake - slap a clipboard across it and it'll die pretty quick.
Or you can do what the sigs guys did and: D) drain the oil out of the engine.

We got there fortunately just in time before the engine stopped permanently but it remains peak 'army solution' in my experience thus far.

Closely followed by gunners pressure watching the touch-screens on their M777 howitzer computers. "But they're rain proof!"

I think the vast majority of this poo poo is people wanting to 'work smart' and fast about things - because it looks bad to, you know, ask a technician or someone who knows what they are doing for help. Not like we literally exist at every unit an extension away if you're not sure!

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 4, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bX2Xpv7.mp4

Worker didn't get paid for several months, took the opportunity to express his frustrations on his boss's car.

Also I can't tell if those are snow chains on the tires or the new fancy 3D-printed self-healing wheels. Probably the former, but the latter would be cool too.

i'm glad the left blinker was ok

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Secure your load

https://i.imgur.com/ErqBt7L.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Construction on improving I-4 in Orlando temporarily shut down after a worker dies.

A 20-foot length of 18-inch pipe fell on the guy. This is one of several accidents SGL has had in the past year on the project, from wrenches falling onto cars to a worker falling 30 or 40 feet off an overpass for no apparent reason last month.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I still that really hard? Idk never drove a tank. But the treads are independent so you can throw one forward slow and the other back? Idk

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

maybe there is a future for WRC after all

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Train derailment near Field B.C. (middle of the Rockies near the B.C.-Alberta border) three dead, second time a train has derailed here in a year or so. Train fell 60m off a bridge into a frozen river.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/train-derailment-cp-railway-field-bc-tsb-1.5004622

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm sure they'll figure out how to stop trains from falling over there by the time the government buys all those train cars to run oil through there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powershift posted:

I'm sure they'll figure out how to stop trains from falling over there by the time the government buys all those train cars to run oil through there.

If only there was some other way to transport oil. Perhaps some sort of enclosed tube? Nah, that's crazy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

If only there was some other way to transport oil. Perhaps some sort of enclosed tube? Nah, that's crazy.

a tube? someone call elon musk

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nice trains

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Cleaning and restoring the ceiling Grand Central Station was basically the same- they even left a square of tobacco sludge on the ceiling:

Big link- the crab is pointing at it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/NYC_Grand_Central_Terminal_ceiling.jpg

Wow, that's really cool. I was a bit suspicious, so here's a neat, small explanation that corroborates the claim.

Kith posted:

Also I can't tell if those are snow chains on the tires or the new fancy 3D-printed self-healing wheels. Probably the former, but the latter would be cool too.

Nah, that's just when your friend starts crocheting and thus starts crocheting everything.

PittTheElder posted:

second time a train has derailed here in a year or so.

Did they remember to fix the bridge after the first time?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/DXXQIAw.mp4

do the soapy water test please

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

VKing posted:

When I was in the army, a guy in my battalion accidentally put a metal jerry can full of JP8 across the terminals of the battery in the Bv-206 he was doing maintainance on (the batteries are under one of the rear seats, so he thought he was putting the can on the seat). The depot sprinkler system only had water, not foam. Bonus fun fact: The -206 is mostly made of glass fiber and plastic.

As an aside, the armoury had a framed photograph of a G3 that a previous recruit had decided to stress test by filling the barrel with powder from three or four blanks and firing it with another blank stuffed in the muzzle. Amazingly, the flash hider was strong enough to hold the front end of the barrel in one piece.

I want a Bv-206 (and the land to use one on) so very badly. Shame I was never in the army to get to jump on the bandwagon :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We use them (gold mine in Western Australia) to traverse the salt pans that make up half of our mine lease. Not sure if it's exactly the same but they're made by Hagglund, and look pretty similar to photos I've seen online.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Unfortunately, my stint in the army was not very OSHA-worthy. A guy burnt his hand on the stovepipe in his tent after almost freezing his nose off.

The only other thing that might qualify that I remember was when we had to drive the Bvs into a ferry from a quay that didn't have a ferry terminal, so the engineers laid an assault bridge into it.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I want a Bv-206 (and the land to use one on) so very badly. Shame I was never in the army to get to jump on the bandwagon :v:
I appreciate this joke, so have a bonus.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bX2Xpv7.mp4

Worker didn't get paid for several months, took the opportunity to express his frustrations on his boss's car.

lmao the car alarm

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

lmao the car alarm

You'd be alarmed too if a truck that big was coming right for you.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Unfortunately it was a marketing thing: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/excavator-crush-mercedez-viral-ad/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Love the car lifted unsecured on a forklift at the end with the guys under it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

drunkill posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DXXQIAw.mp4

do the soapy water test please

Made me gasp. This is a nightmare I have

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was expecting the flame to ignite the sewer gases.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Mr. Apollo posted:

same.

not sure what you would have to sweat on a toilet flange though? maybe trying to repair the flange? seems dumb, someone please help

e: asked my buddy, apparently older homes without pvc have a setup where you gotta sweat the flange on. ffffunnnnn

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 5, 2019

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

VKing posted:

Since the Ak 4 is blowback operated, the design specification can be generous enough to have some ridiculous design basis barrel blockage scenarios without rupturing the barrel, but still have a reasonably light barrel.

Groda fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 5, 2019

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Groda posted:

Since the Ak 4 is blowback operated, the design specification can be generous enough to have some ridiculous design basis barrel blockage scenarios without rupturing the barrel, but still have a reasonably light barrel.

AG3, not Ak 4, but that's beside the point.
Rereading what I wrote I see I missed the important detail: The barrel was pretty much obliterated and banana peeled into, IIRC, four parts. What I meant was the flash hider held it together at the muzzle, rather than the classic Looney Tunes barrel explosion.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Is this a bit from Red Green? Can you really be this stupid accidentally?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8TqI2alLcg

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

pseudorandom posted:

Wow, that's really cool. I was a bit suspicious, so here's a neat, small explanation that corroborates the claim.

Nah, that's just when your friend starts crocheting and thus starts crocheting everything.

Did they remember to fix the bridge after the first time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JiPj9c98Y&t=18s

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

deoju posted:

Is this a bit from Red Green? Can you really be this stupid accidentally?
What do you mean accidentally? They clearly put effort into being that dumb.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

Train derailment near Field B.C. (middle of the Rockies near the B.C.-Alberta border) three dead, second time a train has derailed here in a year or so. Train fell 60m off a bridge into a frozen river.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/train-derailment-cp-railway-field-bc-tsb-1.5004622

holy poo poo this is horrific

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If that had been a passenger train poo poo would have been real bad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gunshow Poophole posted:

holy poo poo this is horrific

A real loving proverbial train wreck!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Burt Sexual posted:

But the treads are independent so you can throw one forward slow and the other back? Idk

Yes. Tank treads are mechanically separate and with independent speed controls, it's the only way a purely tracked vehicle can steer. They also can rotate in place if you don't mind chewing up the ground and have so much braking power that you have to stop carefully or you'll end up eating the dashboard.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

PittTheElder posted:

It looks like one of those photos of the aftermath of a buffalo jump gone horribly steampunk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

also setting the cloth on fire.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:rip: any potential train surfers who were hitching a ride up front on that train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Look what you made me do.

(Finally found a copy for a reasonable price...)