Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

pseudanonymous posted:

Is Brandon Sanderson really worth critiquing? I only ever read him in the last few WoT books, because I needed some kind of closure, and he was just bad. It seems like he's just real bad, and he writes a lot, I mean nobody is breaking down exactly why Xanth novels are bad, because you know, who cares?

For me, it's also personal. I used to really like Sanderson. I read Elantris when I was pretty young, and loved it. I read Mistborn in college because some of my friends pushed them on me and thought they were pretty drat good. I read Arcanum Unbounded, his big short story collection, just a couple years ago, and actually quite enjoyed it (honestly, my bet is that shorter formats would suit him better, forcing him to get to the point.) But my tastes have changed a lot in the last couple years, and even just thinking back on what little I remember I'm not that impressed. I'm really interested to take a critical look at how dumb I used to be.

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I grew up, I put away childish things read childish things ironically for the internet."

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

As way of kings is spoken for...I could do Mistborn?

Please do an in-depth analysis of how metal engravings are the only trustworthy source of knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Karia posted:

honestly, my bet is that shorter formats would suit him better, forcing him to get to the point.

Probably, hence my suggestion of Emperor's Soul instead of Way of Kings.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The loving angels' name is Moroni. That seems like it's beyond parody.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That is one of the least crazy things about Mormonism.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pseudanonymous posted:

The loving angels' name is Moroni. That seems like it's beyond parody.

what a jabroni

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
moroni is an actual apocryphal angel iirc

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Amethyst posted:

This is incredibly stupid. All of the mods should be banned.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
hieronymous fears botl because he knows in his heart that he'll be mod of this subforum one day

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

hieronymous fears botl because he knows in his heart that he'll be mod of this subforum one day

Well, there's no doubt that Botl is the supreme booklord spoken of in the sacred texts.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

BotL's takedowns are good. But serially probating BotL for months and giving him a mod challenge is also good. That is the riddle of steel.

In actually good genre trash, anyone ever read Fritze Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? It's got that weirdness that early fantasy has, which modern stuff just lacks entirely. Like there's one where a weird guy chants at them and it compels them to just set sail across an ocean. Or one of them pledges service to a guy who's all eyeballs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Critiquing Sanderson is more useful because he’s tremendously productive in both his own writing and in his teaching others how to write. There’s an entire generation of upcoming fantasy writers listening to the Writing Excuses podcast or going on the writers cruise that Sanderson & co organize. His style and the way he thinks about writing has made an indelible impression on the genre. Way of Kings is also the culmination of a decade or more of work at his craft, as opposed to being the one hit wonder that Rothfuss, etc are. So critiques of his current writing will really get at what the problems are with modern fantasy.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

poisonpill posted:

BotL's takedowns are good. But serially probating BotL for months and giving him a mod challenge is also good. That is the riddle of steel.

In actually good genre trash, anyone ever read Fritze Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? It's got that weirdness that early fantasy has, which modern stuff just lacks entirely. Like there's one where a weird guy chants at them and it compels them to just set sail across an ocean. Or one of them pledges service to a guy who's all eyeballs.

Yeah, they're pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOpRcRYKWH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cuT6EmQHw

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Just to be clear about this: it is a major plot point in the second Mistborn book that anything not engraved in metal is suspect. I bring this up not to mock Mormonism (well, not entirely) but because you can draw one hell of a parallel between the golden plates and Mistborn 2. Look at the quote for Chapter 1 at the below link. Death of the author and all, but it would be drat interesting to get a real analysis of the parallels between the LDS and Sanderson's work.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:The_Well_of_Ascension

The more I remember about these books the weirder they get.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Ccs posted:

or going on the writers cruise that Sanderson & co organize.

lmao are you serious?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zoracle Zed posted:

lmao are you serious?

It's not that weird, there are a bunch of smaller cruise ships where people give talks as part of the ticket.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

sebmojo posted:

It's not that weird, there are a bunch of smaller cruise ships where people give talks as part of the ticket.

Hey moron, RESCIND THE STUPID CONDITIONS YOUR IDIOT MOD COLLEGUE HAS PLACED ON BOTL. it sucks and you should be ashamed.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i personally despise Content and think the best posters to probate are the ones who produce it consistently. that is cool, to me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amethyst posted:

Hey moron, RESCIND THE STUPID CONDITIONS YOUR IDIOT MOD COLLEGUE HAS PLACED ON BOTL. it sucks and you should be ashamed.

Lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

hahah lol. Everyone's laughing. Great joke. Mods rule!!!!

Just kidding. You are actively fostering a lovely culture.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

sebmojo posted:

it's actually extremely weird hth

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amethyst posted:

hahah lol. Everyone's laughing. Great joke. Mods rule!!!!

Ty amethyst

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
death of the author does not mean that you cant e.g. look for ways in which the authors religion has shaped a given text

also

Amethyst posted:

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
*godawful fantasy author charges $10k to get secluded with him on a floating norovirus barge* uhhh ever heard of Sea Org?? idiot?? it's actually very popular

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Honestly, sebmojo, at least relax the challenge to threads where he isn't the OP. The Rothfuss thread is extremely impoverished by this stipulation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Honestly, sebmojo, at least relax the challenge to threads where he isn't the OP. The Rothfuss thread is extremely impoverished by this stipulation.

I mod CC so i have no sway on this at all.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sebmojo posted:

I mod CC so i have no sway on this at all.
Ah, I assumed from the way you mentioned it elsewhere that you were directly involved. Forgive me.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Honestly, sebmojo Hieronymous, at least relax the challenge to threads where he isn't the OP. The Rothfuss thread is extremely impoverished by this stipulation.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What made me finally put down way of kings was, right on the heels of one character doing the stupidest possible thing in response to seeing creepy shadow monsters, which was I think to sever all ties to anyone who could help her and run away, learning that the other main character turned down a magical suit of armour because it would instantly turn him in to a nobleman and he couldn't abide it because of how badly they had treated him growing up.

It was just too stupid. Also tedious.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
hieronymous doesnt come into this thread because he is a coward

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

chernobyl kinsman posted:

hieronymous doesnt come into this thread because he is a coward

all mods are cowards. especially the dweeb who thinks its cool to pay five figures to sail into international waters with a mormon robot only to be advised "just type more words faster"

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i am still mourning the fact that this book won an award

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I mean, it won the shittiest fantasy prize that was essentially created just to give Sanderson a pat on the back because all the other ones don't give a poo poo about him

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_Awards

I thought he’d won a Hugo or something.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

more like Blandon Blanderson

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Lol a mormon literary prize

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Then again mormons do have a proud legacy of fantasy

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Then again mormons do have a proud legacy of fantasy

Real hot take bruv

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Real hot take bruv

Look sometimes you gotta take the easy joke

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i present to you my rear end in a top hat. dare you gaze upon the treasures inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
deep within the dark and cartilaginous shaft, you glimpse the shine of a jewelled hilt. could it be one of the assblades spoken of in ancient legend?