Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

yikes, that doesn't sound like it should be hard on an impact at all. Guess its a little beyond what Ryobi users are usually doing like stripping ikea screws. That is a shot at ryobi tools not users haha

You're talking like 1 1/4 too I'd imagine. Should just fly in with the countersink!?

These were 5" long x 1/4 shaft, they took some push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

Full battery couldn't send em? I'll have to grab one and my impact and see if it can do it

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr. Mambold posted:

Anything that has a shaft over like 1/4" should be pre-drilled to like 1-2 letter sizes under the minor diameter in woods to prevent the entire thing splitting like a melon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My dewalt was doing 3/8x5 lag screws into treated 6x6 posts with little to no trouble, for comparison. I know dewalt isn’t a magic brand or anything but I’ve been very happy with that driver.

e: Oh yeah, that’d be pre-drilled, if OP didn’t do that, good luck. I have driven 3/8x3-ish without pre-drilling because Reasons, though, and it wasn’t bad.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Full battery couldn't send em? I'll have to grab one and my impact and see if it can do it

Go hog wild. It drove them about half way and just wallowed. Do the speed settings also have different torque and I didn't know about it?

Bad Munki posted:

My dewalt was doing 3/8x5 lag screws into treated 6x6 posts with little to no trouble, for comparison. I know dewalt isn’t a magic brand or anything but I’ve been very happy with that driver.

e: Oh yeah, that’d be pre-drilled, if OP didn’t do that, good luck. I have driven 3/8x3-ish without pre-drilling because Reasons, though, and it wasn’t bad.

I predrilled about half way or so, iirc, through the panel and into 4x4 treated. That was enough for the regular drill, but not the impact.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 5, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bad Munki posted:

It may not be a magic brand and supposedly other brands have better batteries, but DeWalt drills and drivers are indestructible in my experience.

And yeah, hammer drills are for drilling holes in masonry, impact drivers are for driving screws and bolts and stuff.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Yes. One applies the banging toward the end, driving it into the surface. The other applies the banging in a rotary direction, driving the thing circularly. They have entirely different applications.

e: Hammer bangs in, impact bangs around.

Great, that's made it very clear, cheers.

Impact driver goes on the list.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Impact drivers really are so much better than drills for driving screws in, by the way. Pretty much the only reason my drill gets used any more is if I have a large spiral drillbit that doesn't have a hex shaft, like a 1/2" or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It may not be a magic brand and supposedly other brands have better batteries, but DeWalt drills and drivers are indestructible in my experience.

It’s anecdotal but I’ve had the same dewalt hammer drill for literally 20 years and it’s still going strong. I’ve converted it to lithium using their little 18-20 adapters, but that’s it. I don’t use it as much as I used to after picking up a (dewalt) impact driver in the last few years though, but I have no indication it was reaching the end of its life. I expect similar results from the impact driver.

Those adapters are great, by the way. The batteries that come with them are tiny and garbage, but a 4Ah battery instead will power the tool plenty long.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bad Munki posted:

It’s anecdotal but I’ve had the same dewalt hammer drill for literally 20 years and it’s still going strong. I’ve converted it to lithium using their little 18-20 adapters, but that’s it. I don’t use it as much as I used to after picking up a (dewalt) impact driver in the last few years though, but I have no indication it was reaching the end of its life. I expect similar results from the impact driver.

Those adapters are great, by the way. The batteries that come with them are tiny and garbage, but a 4Ah battery instead will power the tool plenty long.

That said, the new hydraulic ones are stupid quiet, and as long as you aren't trying to impact loosen something retarded like a 2" fastener that rusted shut, work amazing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Anything that has a shaft over like 1/4" should be pre-drilled to like 1-2 letter sizes under the minor diameter in woods to prevent the entire thing splitting like a melon.
To be fair, he did say spax, which are self drilling.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If you're getting more performance out of the drill something is wrong with the impact, I had no problem driving 1/4 lag bolts with my regular non-brushless Ryobi impact and accidently drove a 3 1/2 deck screw half way through a 2x4 when I wasn't paying attention with ease.

If you haven't had it long I'd suggest just returning it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was utterly underwhelmed by Ryobi's impact driver pushing spax screws into fence panels & post. Couldn't do it, even with countersink help. Compared to their standard drill, it sucks. First time I'd used it on a heavy application since I got it last year in some promo deal Homey Depomey ran. Maybe that's not what it's intended for.

something is wrong with your impact driver, you should be able to drive some gnarly poo poo as long as your battery isn't poo poo. they used to give out pretty poo poo batteries with some of the combo kits.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That said, the new hydraulic ones

the what now

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

the what now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvxcNUT4oac

this

ridgid also makes one

they fuckin rule, so much quieter

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have the Ryobi one and I fuckin love it compared to my old regular impact

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Did that speed test not seem off to anyone else? The hydraulic driver seemed to move at a pretty unremarkable speed while the "regular" driver seemed awfully slow for what seemed like a pretty light task.

Edit: Seemed off enough I sought out another example and happened on this video which actually includes a surge compared to a number of other drivers. I can't speak for the quality of the tests or that specific channel but the impression I got was the surge is competent but unremarkable however, they actually had 2 Makitas one a hydraulic and one conventional brushless and the hydraulic actually did turn out to be stronger despite having a lower max power rating.

Still though, the DeWalt which appeared to just be a regular brushless driver completely dominated and I find myself surprised just how big a gap there was between what're theoretically all premium brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqar-4ZelA

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 5, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This post didn't get any traction in the house thread so maybe this is a better place:

quote:

I am looking at an old Ariens ST 1032, it's probably from the 1980s, it no longer has the original motor but instead a Briggs & Stratton 10hp motor. Are these old beasties still good? I generally trust older machines more than new ones, as long as they haven't been tortured.

Seller wants 640€ for it which seems a bit high, 450-500€ I think if it's in good shape and I guess an older machine like this is of higher build quality than a new one (they've had many decades to rationalize the design since).

These older machines worth it? I saw some reviews on modern Ariens and it wasn't as positive as I had read about the old ones. I'm looking at different brands, Honda, Yamaha and Gilson are three other brands I have heard good things about. New machines are completely out of the question, gonna be something 2nd hand and from a reputable brand, those are my main requirements. And probably nothing under 8hp.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elem7 posted:

Did that speed test not seem off to anyone else? The hydraulic driver seemed to move at a pretty unremarkable speed while the "regular" driver seemed awfully slow for what seemed like a pretty light task.

Edit: Seemed off enough I sought out another example and happened on this video which actually includes a surge compared to a number of other drivers. I can't speak for the quality of the tests or that specific channel but the impression I got was the surge is competent but unremarkable however, they actually had 2 Makitas one a hydraulic and one conventional brushless and the hydraulic actually did turn out to be stronger despite having a lower max power rating.

Still though, the DeWalt which appeared to just be a regular brushless driver completely dominated and I find myself surprised just how big a gap there was between what're theoretically all premium brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqar-4ZelA

imo...unless you're a professional, saving your ears is more important than saving a bit of time

i like the surge because of the reduced noise but also it has 4 different torque settings which is nice. my former ryobi impact required you to feather the button to reduce torque, with mixed success.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

This post didn't get any traction in the house thread so maybe this is a better place:

These older machines worth it? I saw some reviews on modern Ariens and it wasn't as positive as I had read about the old ones. I'm looking at different brands, Honda, Yamaha and Gilson are three other brands I have heard good things about. New machines are completely out of the question, gonna be something 2nd hand and from a reputable brand, those are my main requirements. And probably nothing under 8hp.

There's a small engines thread in AI that would probably get you a good response.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302145&pagenumber=45&perpage=40

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Elem7 posted:

2 Makitas one a hydraulic and one conventional brushless and the hydraulic actually did turn out to be stronger despite having a lower max power rating.

A non-hydraulic one might have a peak max torque of 450 N*m at like a 3% duty cycle, whereas a hydro one might have 325 N*m for a 15% duty cycle. As long whatever you're driving needs less than 300ish N*m to turn, the hydro one wins by a huge factor in terms of speed, noise and operator fatigue. The super edge-case ones where it doesn't perform super well, you go get the 1/2" drive impact gun and go ham on it with a socket.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I've got an old ST1032. I put a 420cc Honda clone on it, and it kicks rear end. The newer machines are built much lighter, but have more features. I'd never give up my unit.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Having never owned a snowblower before, and given that the one I got is heavily loved (and was $75 for a running 24" 5hp), of course I managed to burn up the first replacement auger belt I put in through my failure to understand how the auger tension cable mechanism worked, with its guard plate. On the plus side, this forced me to completely take it apart, which led me to properly retension the auger cable, which I might not have otherwise.

Neat little machine; I guess these belts are more expensive than I thought, good thing I'm in VT and was able to trade a quarter ounce of legalweed (cost me $6 to grow) for both of them...

Snowblowing has been more fun than I expected, unlike lawnmowing which is just a much of a pain in the rear end as I remember from youth.

I've convinced myself that when the time comes for a new snowblower, 5hp will be insufficient. We get a lot of footage, up here in the hills... I've already saved more than $75 on plowing since I got this, so, already revenue positive, good deal. My lower back might disagree with that, but, gently caress you back, here's some Klonopin.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

There's a small engines thread in AI that would probably get you a good response.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302145&pagenumber=45&perpage=40

Nah that's shut isn't it?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nah that's shut isn't it?

Well, crap, it is. That's what I get for phone posting without looking too carefully.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've decided not to get it anyway, asked on another forum and apparently the motor was even older than the original, plus not being winterized properly.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

You'd think the one thing a snowblower would be, is winterized

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rotten Cookies posted:

You'd think the one thing a snowblower would be, is winterized

The previous owner put a different motor on it, apparently older than the rest of blower even. And a winterized motor is supposed to have the air intake inside a housing that protects it from taking in snow and which also allows the air to be a little preheated from the motor itself. That motor as a normal air filter which clogs up easily from the fine powdered snow in the air that is produced. I could fix that, but not for 500€,

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The previous owner put a different motor on it, apparently older than the rest of blower even. And a winterized motor is supposed to have the air intake inside a housing that protects it from taking in snow and which also allows the air to be a little preheated from the motor itself. That motor as a normal air filter which clogs up easily from the fine powdered snow in the air that is produced. I could fix that, but not for 500€,

Or you just do what I did: ignore the winter-box entirely and just use the stock Honda clone. I've never had it ice up. I think the older motors really needed the additional heat to run correctly, but the new ones seem OK without it. You've got to run thin oil, too. 5W30 is what's in mine. But yeah, E500 is way too much to pay for that thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small/pancake air compressor and attachments that aren’t made of cast flour, water, and dreams?

Primary use is going to be inflating car tires, detailing interiors of cars, and blowing out/cleaning/foam detailing pads.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phone posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small/pancake air compressor and attachments that aren’t made of cast flour, water, and dreams?

Primary use is going to be inflating car tires, detailing interiors of cars, and blowing out/cleaning/foam detailing pads.

I have the California air tools one and it’s great.
It doesn’t come with attachments though.

California Air Tools 8010 Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.0 hp Steel Tank Air Compressor, 8 gal, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM1VPKE/

It’s super quiet which is nice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

sharkytm posted:

Or you just do what I did: ignore the winter-box entirely and just use the stock Honda clone. I've never had it ice up. I think the older motors really needed the additional heat to run correctly, but the new ones seem OK without it. You've got to run thin oil, too. 5W30 is what's in mine. But yeah, E500 is way too much to pay for that thing.

Looking at this instead, same price almost:

Toro 828 LE. TBH my heart wants an older 70s or 80s machine to turn into a restoration project, but I think this is good value for money and it will work now.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Does anyone have experience with any of the electric snow blowers? The E-Go (looks like there is only on model) is really way more than I need.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Dukket posted:

Does anyone have experience with any of the electric snow blowers? The E-Go (looks like there is only on model) is really way more than I need.

I’d be interested to hear about this as well. I was looking at rechargeable models on Amazon the other day after my current Toro started giving me carb-related issues for the millionth time. Looks like a couple Chinese brands get decent reviews but I’m in Minnesota so I’m probably an outlier when it comes to the amount of abuse snowblowers take.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've read a little about them and they seem to be weak.

I brought the Toro 828 home today and used it and I am really satisfied with how it just chews through wet snow, we have above freezing temps now and lots of snow and I have a lot of snow that has just piled up in places we didn't used to clear when we only used manual labour. And with the freezing temps a lot has fallen off the roof. The only problem I have is when the traction is not sufficient. Gonna have to break up those banks, they are getting too tall there, but once I do that I can plow through them too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like a good snowblower and a good piece of land too. Can’t imagine wanting to shovel that for long.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you're going to get an electric snowblower, make sure there is some manner of return policy longer than a weekend. My previous neighbour bought an electric one that had an approx ~12" wide intake, and the first time he tried it out it clogged several times in 4" of powder snow. He finally had to take 6" swipes to keep it from bogging down. The next time he tried it there was 2" of "packy" snow and he had to push it as fast as you would expect to push a carpet cleaner. Anything faster than a snail's pace would just kill it. He returned it and picked up the cheapest gas model they had and had no problems.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I already asked in the automotive tools thread and realized I was probably in the wrong place.

Recommend me a soldering iron/station. I need a SMD rework gun and a soldering iron.
They can both be in the same 'station' or separates. I don't mind either way.

The goal here is something quality. I had a cheap ebay Chinese Yuasa station that lasted me a while but was a total piece of poo poo. The rework gun was finicky and really only good for smoking weed. :okpos: The soldering iron was pretty lovely and sorta delicate. The heating element broke on the first one so I had to buy a replacement.

I want something that is sturdy and durable, easy to get replacement parts for, and is capable of soldering a wide range of things from SMD's to 8AWG wire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I already asked in the automotive tools thread and realized I was probably in the wrong place.

Recommend me a soldering iron/station. I need a SMD rework gun and a soldering iron.
They can both be in the same 'station' or separates. I don't mind either way.

The goal here is something quality. I had a cheap ebay Chinese Yuasa station that lasted me a while but was a total piece of poo poo. The rework gun was finicky and really only good for smoking weed. :okpos: The soldering iron was pretty lovely and sorta delicate. The heating element broke on the first one so I had to buy a replacement.

I want something that is sturdy and durable, easy to get replacement parts for, and is capable of soldering a wide range of things from SMD's to 8AWG wire.

I too am interested in this, as the only real options I've found that aren't that ebay junk are full on $texas rigs with the expected names on them. I'm hoping I've missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I looked at the Amazon reviews for this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JDGY1J/ and they were pretty :stare: to say the least.

quote:

Question: Does this unit have a fuse in it?
Answer: Nope, this unit a potential fire and electrocution risk.
By Igor on December 19, 2018
I am not aware of a user-accessible fuse. However, the unit has several safety features, such as automatic shut-off, which is adjustable.
By Ed Morris on December 19, 2018
Have a look at Louis Rossmann or EEVblog Youtube channels which show that there is no fuse for the primary side of this appliance. If the insulation breaks down with age or if you plug it into 230V, then you are likely to have a fire to deal with.
By Mr. C. West on December 19, 2018
Be aware that this unit has a serious defect in the actual pen. The plastic handle cannot withstand the heat that the 70watt generates. The plastic cracks and the heated element falls out of the blue plastic. I have had mine replaced twice by the factory . The replacements are good for about two hours of use before cra… see more
By Peter M. on December 19, 2018
It is unclear, however we need to qualify the negative responses. This quest results from a EEVBlog post in which the "expert" electronics blogger plugged his north american device(110v-60hz) unit "accidentally" into an australian(he is in australia) 230v-50hz outlet. In north america the outlet between 110v and 220v,2… see more
By RFTripp on December 28, 2018
Not sure, but I don't think so. There's no fuse cap accessible from the outside of the unit, and I didn't see any reference to a fuse on the Weller data sheet. There could possibly be a fuse inside the unit.
By Douglas D. on December 19, 2018

oh good. I was afraid I wouldn't be buying a melting firey-time-bomb.