Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

YES!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:drat:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I won't disagree there, Titanfall 1 was in many ways a proof of concept that led to Titanfall 2 which was much more polished both on the single-player and multiplayer sides.

Ehhh a lot of stuff was a real regression. The trend from Titanfall 1 to 2 was pulling back on the grunt AI, cutting down the sense of 'ambient battle' and the associated audio, ditching Attrition in favor of pushing Bounty Hunt, reducing the survivability and presence of Titans, building maps that were less suited to wallrunning (at least until the DLC), adding more powerful abilities, and, at least in the earlier builds, slowing players way down.

Draw all those trendlines a little further and you end up at Apex Legends: no AI at all, no Titans, focus on abilities, no wallrunning. (And if Apex Legends has no music then the soundtrack quality is a downward trend too :v: )

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Trip report so far: Playing through the required training. Wanted to jumpjet at the base of the hill, could not. Felt bad. Movement is OK, much like playing a Pilot and forgetting to wallrun.

Guns sound decent and are accurate. FrothyOmen is wrong that this is "not Titanfall", it's absolutely set in the universe and is a shooter so it ought to be! MRVNs, Blisk, RE-45, Alternator...it's Titanfall.

E: Training map feels like you ought to be able to jumpjet to the MRVN P4-FNDR unit. The training dummy has a fricking jump-pack. Why did Respawn let focus groups tell them parkour was "too confusing" or "random and split-second"? Why do I have to holster my guns to run at full speed?

E2: I HAVE A JUMP PACK. WHY CAN'T I USE IT?

E3: I have to choose whether to carry heavy or light ammo? WHY?

E4: Less than three minutes of survival in the first two rounds, both times died to a dude who jumped into midair, froze in space, and killed me. gently caress this, I'm going to go play better games.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 5, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm reasonably confident after the takeoff success of this game we'll probably see them work titans into apex at some point.

I could totally see a mode where it's 3 human players and 1 titan per squad - the titan being a 'fourth squadmate' when in ai mode.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Ehhh a lot of stuff was a real regression. The trend from Titanfall 1 to 2 was pulling back on the grunt AI, cutting down the sense of 'ambient battle' and the associated audio, ditching Attrition in favor of pushing Bounty Hunt, reducing the survivability and presence of Titans, building maps that were less suited to wallrunning (at least until the DLC), adding more powerful abilities, and, at least in the earlier builds, slowing players way down.

Draw all those trendlines a little further and you end up at Apex Legends: no AI at all, no Titans, focus on abilities, no wallrunning. (And if Apex Legends has no music then the soundtrack quality is a downward trend too :v: )

I think this post is super weird for so many reasons, but it's your perspective so whatever. From where I stand Tf2 has plenty of focus on Attrition. Skilled Titan combat is far more emphasized because people actually get in their Titans this time instead of just hopping around all the time with them on a leash. Tf2's slide-hopping is different than Tf1's bunny-hopping, sure, but it leads to gameplay that's far faster and more kinetic, and finally, the overall impression I got as they added maps from Tf1 as DLC is that a lot of the Tf1 maps were filled with edges, clutter, and excess junk that actually slowed down movement at every step. There are a few basic rear end stages in Tf2's level design but on the whole they feel so much better for actually getting around then a lot of the Tf1 maps they added, minus War Games which feels great. Tf2's whole class/skill based structure simply owns.

I mean, it's cool if you were super attached to the original but I don't think the progression of the design philosophy between these games is at all coherent with your perception here.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I'm still mad that they skipped the Arc Cannon in Tf2

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I agree that TF2 turned out really fast and fun (faster than TF1 by and large), but it lost a lot of what I liked about the first game in doing it. I think it became a better arena shooter but a less coherent game, if that makes any loving sense.

It's got more Stuff in it but a lot of it detracts from the core flow. Pilots phasing around, a lot of ways to wallhack, and faster TTK give you more ways to instantly die in unexpected ways. The whole battery/shield system for Titans (why don't they just ship your titan with a battery in it? TWO batteries in it so it can have shields?) never feels very elegant. Purely attritional Titan combat, for better or worse (and in some ways it IS better), makes your Titan a short-lived powerup rather than a peer to the pilot gameplay. Fixed Titan loadouts give them much more of a personality, but you lose the fun of making a Titan loadout 'your own' or working to master all the weapons.

I don't think you can reasonably argue that TF2 attrition has nearly as much audio as in TF1. AI density is lower and by the end of the match it's all Reapers all the time.

I liked TF2 as a shooter, but TF1 felt like it was really pushing the 'living battlefield' and the Titan/pilot interaction, and I think I cared about that more. Which brings me back to the core of my complaint — if you extend a lot of the decisions TF2 made, or tried to make before huge fan backlash, you end up at Apex Legends.

And the TF1 soundtrack was dope.

Sparticle posted:

I'm still mad that they skipped the Arc Cannon in Tf2

And the quad rockets. Let me repeatedly doom myself by panic shooting at my feet you cowards

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 5, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

Random thought: is it possible that the reason AL doesn't have all the wallrunning and movement options is because EA's famously shoddy netcode wouldn't be able to keep up with 60 players running and jumping all over the place? I'm just asking questions here, folks.

I don't think there's any difference from a computer's perspective whether or not someone is running on the ground or running on a wall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It was interesting to note that, according to Giant Bomb, Respawn started with titans and the other core Titanfall aspects being present in their game, and then removed them later because they were too tricky to balance. I can easily see this being the case.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know people say this a lot but I think it's time for gamers to rise up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

In Training posted:

I don't think there's any difference from a computer's perspective whether or not someone is running on the ground or running on a wall.

I mean you'd think so, but it probably isn't

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gunder posted:

It was interesting to note that, according to Giant Bomb, Respawn started with titans and the other core Titanfall aspects being present in their game, and then removed them later because they were too tricky to balance. I can easily see this being the case.

:goofy:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The probably got rid of the cool stuff from titanfall, because the game is already so busy and confusing on an audio/visual/HUD level that it's hard to tell what the gently caress is going on even without that poo poo.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Gunder posted:

That's interesting to hear. A sign of good game design is the ability to edit stuff out to make a stronger and more focused experience.

I'm sure we'll see titans in the game eventually but if so they will likely work quite a bit differently than they do in titanfall 1 or 2.

Edit: Also where are goons main joining up for pickup squads. The two discord links in the OP appear to not work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

The probably got rid of the cool stuff from titanfall, because the game is already so busy and confusing on an audio/visual/HUD level that it's hard to tell what the gently caress is going on even without that poo poo.

Maybe a turn based game would be more suited for your tastes.

Joking aside Titanfall always did an excellent job at delivering information to the player (which there isn't that much to be honest) and made it easy to understand it all. I personally find Battlefield to be more of a clusterfuck of information than Titanfall ever was.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Agreed. I don’t really find this game difficult to parse. I do play games like this a lot though.

Also agreed about Battlefield, especially the most recent one.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Since the titanfall discord links seem to be defunct, Apex Legends folks can probably hop in to Serious Overchill discord.

It'll be in the battle royale games channel called #battle-fort-blops-royale-z1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst thing I can say about Apex Legends is that it just does a really poor job of communicating vital information that feels super critical in a BR game. It actually looks really nice but it's at the cost of looking way too busy and it's hard to spot things or get a clear LOS. Audio cues feel virtually non existent. Prompts, menus, commands, HUD all feel sloppy .

Also executing someone is loving insane. It's so hard to actually finish someone off without getting murdered in the process.

I think the core of it is good but it needs massive tweaking and also I kind of just wish it was titanfall 3 atm.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 5, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

General Battuta posted:

And the TF1 soundtrack was dope.

Ya. Tf2 ost was pretty great, too. If it makes you feel better the music in Apex is similarly good, and the UI and menu design is super snappy and intuitive.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

What exactly does it do a poor job communicating?

Teammates are chattering about vital stuff like non-stop, what other audio cues do you need? I would describe all of the hud stuff the opposite of sloppy. Seems quite polished actually.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
https://twitter.com/PlayApexLegends/status/1092010798493327360

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

CRAYON posted:

What exactly does it do a poor job communicating?

Teammates are chattering about vital stuff like non-stop, what other audio cues do you need? I would describe all of the hud stuff the opposite of sloppy. Seems quite polished actually.

Yeah I'm...not quite getting what the complaints are about? There's an adjustment period when playing any new game where you start to learn what the cues are - maybe that's what's throwing them off.

I also started played the game after watching hours of other people playing so maybe I knew what to look for better by then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Truth is harsh...

Respawn should have joined Devolver Digital instead :shepface:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wazzit posted:

Yes I'm sure if this Battle Royale game does well I'm sure EA will be reasonable enough to let Respawn spend the millions of dollars in resources to make a Titanfall 3 with a singleplayer campaign that on average 25% of it's playerbase will finish.

:shepicide:

Hey man, we live in a world where The Last Guardian and Duke Nukem Forever were both released. Buck up.

Here, read this

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1092578757603442689

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Interesting tip: The middlemouse-ping-system in the game is so thorough you can actually ping your weapon attachment slots to ask if teammates have something for that slot.

Also the hologram guy works surprisingly well for mindgames. Enemies at least this early in the game's launch seem to almost always fall for the decoy.

Oh and linking your steam account is a good idea - there's a growing number of goon pals now trying this game on my steam friends list to potentially play with later.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Spacedad posted:

Also the hologram guy works surprisingly well for mindgames. Enemies at least this early in the game's launch seem to almost always fall for the decoy.

Characters are like 12k, how have you played enough to unlock him?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gunder posted:

Worrying about balance prior to launch is in my opinion a really dumb thing to worry about in an online game

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I feel like "we didn't want to make the game people were looking forward to, we wanted to make the game that would make us money" isn't actually a good statement to tweet about without, y'know, a little more context.

Though in the end, perhaps Apex Legends wasn't the game consumers wanted, but it was the game consumers deserved.

I dunno. Maybe I just think it's a bad idea admitting that half of your company's developmental direction depended solely on the total sales of a competitor's game. A game with a majority user base of people who rarely-to-never played video games until they began playing Fortnite.

drrockso20 posted:

Worrying about balance prior to launch is in my opinion a really dumb thing to worry about in an online game
That's a pretty bad opinion! I mean, unless you like putting out games that are immediately reviewed poorly and abandoned by any possible player base it could have had.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Characters are like 12k, how have you played enough to unlock him?

Guess :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:v: I just wanted an admission

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
On the positive side TF2 has more players on PS4 than I’ve seen in a long time! Last night had 1k more than usual alright!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra38bf12DAc

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I played this a little last night and it seems like it could be fun but I Can't See poo poo. How the gently caress do people tell when someone's so far away? I've even watched a couple of streams and the streamers just start shooting and hitting something that I can't even see as they're hitting it. I have admittedly terrible eyesight and I'm used to blops4 where everything is contrasty and the bad guys glow red which I understand doesn't work in this genre but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DaveKap posted:

I feel like "we didn't want to make the game people were looking forward to, we wanted to make the game that would make us money" isn't actually a good statement to tweet about without, y'know, a little more context.

Wait the official Apex twitter retweeted that picture? Did they not understand that it was showing that what they did was a bad thing? Like the original image is of a guy cheating on his girlfriend and they just went "Yeah that's us! Go us!"?