Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
gerald's ghost is finding the afterlife pricier than he had anticipated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smart contract deadman switch c’mon.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
just read about quadrigacx lmbo

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I absolutely agree that it's more likely that the quadrigacx team is running a scam, but how funny would it be if:

- The password was held by only one person who died
- They hand off the computer to a 'hacker' to try to guess his password (as they claimed)
- He succeeds, moves the cold wallet to his personal files, then hands the computer back claiming he couldn't crack it.
- 'Hacker' then immediately starts emptying the wallet.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Bobulus posted:

I absolutely agree that it's more likely that the quadrigacx team is running a scam, but how funny would it be if:

- The password was held by only one person who died
- They hand off the computer to a 'hacker' to try to guess his password (as they claimed)
- He succeeds, moves the cold wallet to his personal files, then hands the computer back claiming he couldn't crack it.
- 'Hacker' then immediately starts emptying the wallet.

It's like a 4-way decision tree that all lead to :lol:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Harveygod posted:

It's like a 4-way decision tree that all lead to :lol:

All roads lead to loss.jpg

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just made a QuadrigaCX post. Remember that time your bank manager died, and suddenly all your money was gone?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s like ready player one except sadder because the dude might not be dead and you’re trying to win your own money

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

He said the password was under a big "W" and they had a madcap race to find it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hey it’s me! The guy who left 100k for his dogs but had to get my body incinerated immediately in India rather than pay to fly it home

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

smellmycheese posted:

Hey it’s me! The guy who left 100k for his dogs but had to get my body incinerated immediately in India rather than pay to fly it home

This is totally Not a Scam tm. Nothing to see here, move along. Hey have you heard of this great new investment opportunity? It's called crypto currency and it's the FUTURE!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The headlines about quadriga losing hundreds of thousands in customer funbux are extremely misleading, the hundreds of thousands figure is how much the exchange owes its users, when in reality it hasn't held >100 BTC in months and had been matching withdrawals with new deposits to appear solvent while the owners have been bleeding the exchange dry.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-25/bitcoin-is-worth-less-than-the-cost-to-mine-it-jpmorgan-says

'frisbee on the roof' scenario is here?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

The hashrate is back up to where it was in July 2018.

from the peak, it has only dropped around 20%

e: it's still using, at minimum, around 35 trillion kwh per year at this rate. More than Denmark or Ireland.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Sim Swapping - all the cool kids are getting caught doing it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A shitcoin, the least likable currency, has become a sponsor of Red Bull Racing, the least likable Formula 1 team

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190205005454/en/FuturoCoin-Unveiled-Partner-Aston-Martin-Red-Bull

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/researcher-counts-the-reasons-he-wants-cryptocurrency-burned-with-fire/?comments=1

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Frisbee on the roof won't happen.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
A few weeks ago I saw a homeless guy with a hat that said "hodl" on it and had a Bitcoin logo. Seems like appropriate clothing.

Did that weirdo ever eat his dick when Bitcoin didn't bounce back by the end of 2018?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, I'm guessing Gerald Cotten either isn't dead or never existed. Which one is more likely?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

So, I'm guessing Gerald Cotten either isn't dead or never existed. Which one is more likely?

Deep down inside, aren't we all Gerald Cotten?

He was in our hearts all along.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

wilderthanmild posted:

A few weeks ago I saw a homeless guy with a hat that said "hodl" on it and had a Bitcoin logo. Seems like appropriate clothing.

Did that weirdo ever eat his dick when Bitcoin didn't bounce back by the end of 2018?

no he’s running for president now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I am Gerald Cotten.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I am Gerald Cotten.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No I am Gerald Cotton

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

klafbang posted:

Frisbee on the roof won't happen.
Yeah. The "frisbee on the roof" problem assumes that people are using bitcoin but if bitcoin suddenly becomes really slow a lot of people will stop using it. The users of bitcoin that care about 10 minute vs 100 minute transaction times are not particularly relevant.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah. The "frisbee on the roof" problem assumes that people are using bitcoin but if bitcoin suddenly becomes really slow a lot of people will stop using it. The users of bitcoin that care about 10 minute vs 100 minute transaction times are not particularly relevant.

and remember that we saw this already - in late 2017, Bitman and BTC.COM were loving around with moving mining to Bitcoin Cash, and the BTC block time was up to an hour at times.

it didn't matter to anyone, because all the action is on the exchanges

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Jack Dorsey, the guy in charge of Twitter despite knowing gently caress all about why people even like or use Twitter. Turns out the reason he doesn’t understand his own website is because he doesn’t understand anything.

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1092920168060088320?s=21

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

If there is a "frisbee on the roof scenario" wouldn't it cause issue after a few weeks even with exchanges? Won't the ledgers so out of date that it will start creating problem similar to a 51% attack because we wont know who has what? Or is bitcoin so insane that it went beyond fiat money and you do not need to confirm who has what anymore and it only matter what the exchange "have" and result in situation like before where exchange just "make up bitcoin"?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bleusilences posted:

If there is a "frisbee on the roof scenario" wouldn't it cause issue after a few weeks even with exchanges? Won't the ledgers so out of date that it will start creating problem similar to a 51% attack because we wont know who has what? Or is bitcoin so insane that it went beyond fiat money and you do not need to confirm who has what anymore and it only matter what the exchange "have" and result in situation like before where exchange just "make up bitcoin"?

no. it would not say when someone got a 51 percent.There is no reason to do it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

Jack Dorsey, the guy in charge of Twitter despite knowing gently caress all about why people even like or use Twitter. Turns out the reason he doesn’t understand his own website is because he doesn’t understand anything.

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1092920168060088320?s=21

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jack Dorsey is top tier in the list of worst people on the Internet

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bleusilences posted:

No. An exchanges has some bitcoin and their own centralized internal ledger that says "The Vampire King owns of our three of our five hundred bitcoins while the Dread Pirate Tim owns 0.35783 of our bitcoins". The only time they must interact with The Global Ledger is when bitcoin goes in or out of their system and delays are normal. If 95% of bitcoin mining went offline overnight and the average transaction time went to 200 minutes, they'd just tell their customers "it may take up to a day for a withdrawal to process thank you suck my dick".

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Gobbeldygook posted:

No. An exchanges has some bitcoin and their own centralized internal ledger that says "The Vampire King owns of our three of our five hundred bitcoins while the Dread Pirate Tim owns 0.35783 of our bitcoins". The only time they must interact with The Global Ledger is when bitcoin goes in or out of their system and delays are normal. If 95% of bitcoin mining went offline overnight and the average transaction time went to 200 minutes, they'd just tell their customers "it may take up to a day for a withdrawal to process thank you suck my dick".

lol

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Gobbeldygook posted:

So business as usual, got it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Exchanges would be at a much greater risk of someone executing a successful double spend attack, just like it happened with Bitcoin Gold.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Gobbeldygook posted:

So the coin exchange uses a non crypto ledger? Too loving good

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Goodpancakes posted:

So the coin exchange uses a non crypto ledger? Too loving good

Of course. The only way a decentralized system to work is to centralize it. This is why Bitcoin will be the global currency of the future.