Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

also why did they name burrito platters after jane goodall and john lennon and george orwell
Goodall is an outspoken supporter of vegetarianism, so it at least makes sense to give her a vegetarian dish. Lennon presumably gets it for being a meat-eating wife beater his public persona? Really though, couldn't you ask the same of anyone not Cesar Chavez? Who somehow gets a meat dish despite having been an avowed vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Bring me an Adolf Salad.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
That menu reminded me of a place I used to live by http://burritounion.com/ I recommend the fat capitalist. That same company also owns a dance club type place called the red star that is probably the closest thing you'll get to a gay bar in that town.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/littledebbie/status/1092503786399113216?s=21

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:killing:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Does this poo poo actually translate to increased sales? Who the gently caress is going to buy sunny d because "they're depressed just like me"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

junk food trying to make me less depressed seems to misunderstand why I eat junk food lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Does this poo poo actually translate to increased sales? Who the gently caress is going to buy sunny d because "they're depressed just like me"

You're talking about Sunny D right now, and now I'm thinking about Sunny D. They accomplished what they set out to do.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it gets them attention

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the sunnyd tweet wasn't a cry for help it was just about the super bowl lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's just this

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/242303672569188354

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the people who write the tweets are young, not paid all that well, and forced to spend all day on twitter to make a living. it's not the brand posting the cries for help

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

It's okay, Piers. I want you to die, too.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

General Dog posted:

You're talking about Sunny D right now, and now I'm thinking about Sunny D. They accomplished what they set out to do.

True, but how does that translate to more sales? I'm not going to buy their orange flavored chalk water just because I remember they exist.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Has anyone said Sunny Despair yet?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

True, but how does that translate to more sales? I'm not going to buy their orange flavored chalk water just because I remember they exist.

I don't know, but the conventional wisdom of the past 50 years of advertising says yes. That might be bullshit that the marketing firms have just sold multiple generations of clients on though, I have no idea.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It unironically would appeal to a lot of millenials and gen z.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

It says a lot about our society that the biggest recurring joke among young people is "I'm so loving depressed lol."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Retromancer posted:

Has anyone said Sunny Despair yet?

That made me think that they really should have coupled the tweet with this pic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it gets Engagements which are like manna from heaven for advertisers. compare the level of detail of the analytics twitter spits out which tells you how many people looked at your tweet and how many clicked on it and which demographics they were compared to the best they could do ten years ago which was to buy an ad on a commercial on tv then wait a few weeks for nielsen to guesstimate how many people watched that show and you have no idea if any of them paid attention to your commercial or went to go get a snack instead. or you'd have to run some extremely expensive survey to see if people are aware of your ad campaign

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Movie genius, absent-mindedly nibbling lead paint chips dipped in paste: I'll cast a non-actor in the leading role

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They used to run those survey campaigns in malls and idk if you knew someone who worked for those mall kiosks, but the people who worked there were usually explicitly told to just fill out fake surveys to get their numbers up. It's actually insanely funny how nonsense all marketing was before the internet, to the extent that a lot of ad-block-avoiding technologies don't take off specifically because they can't provide solid data about the user who viewed the ad (I can force you to see an ad by burying it in my content delivery pipe, but I can't force you to provide any analytics about it from your browser). Advertisers don't give a gently caress if ad block users don't see their ads, because they don't pay for ads that aren't served.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Retromancer posted:

It says a lot about our society that the biggest recurring joke among young people is "I'm so loving depressed lol."

I'm curious to see what happens when that joke gets old.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You fuckers talk poo poo about They Live? I'll let my main man Slavoj talk some sense into you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwKjGbz60k

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if brands being "relatable" didn't increase sales, they wouldn't be doing it at all. in particular, this works on millennials, which proves that their supposed skepticism of capitalism is a lie

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dont know if the brands posting on social media "works on millenials" is an indictment of our being dumb and gullible so much as it is a recognition of the fact that people under 40 arent exposed to ads in the traditional mediums because they dont watch tv

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

hackbunny posted:

Movie genius, absent-mindedly nibbling lead paint chips dipped in paste: I'll cast a non-actor in the leading role

This isn't the "Hot Takes" thread

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That's a good point, but he was specifically referring to people who find brands "relatable". It used to be worth a giggle to imagine a lady doing laundry secretly having a thing for Mr. Clean, but now there's people who consider companies and products to be part of their identity and that's just straight-up poison. Like, it'd be a little weird if your gf said that she's "a part of the Kotex army" and then you found out she tweeted at them all the time. Or when guys who style their beards with aggressively-marketed products are pretty much like George Clooney going "I'm a Dapper Dan Man!"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Like, imagine that weeb doing the unboxing video where he doesn't recognize what movie the Akira shirt is from.

Forever.

fe. His brand isn't "Akira", it's "Anime (everything about it)"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tbh a lot of people trying to champion woke brands or the right fandoms can be chalked up to humans needing to find new structures for traditions and morals and in-groups now that religion is having a harder time being that for people

unfortunately most of our options are just about squeezing money out of us

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Brother Entropy posted:

tbh a lot of people trying to champion woke brands or the right fandoms can be chalked up to humans needing to find new structures for traditions and morals and in-groups now that religion is having a harder time being that for people

If that's all religion ever was to them, we're not missing much. May they all go broke*.

*in some way that doesn't include giving their brands all their money and that leads them to discover more meaningful relationships.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What did this one say?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you, like @sunnydelight was yesterday, feel like giving up, here are some tips:

--be realistic about what you can do
--speak w/loved ones who will help break you from negative self-talk
--give yourself an incentive for finishing
--remember the "why" of your "this" https://t.co/76mgKGIfl9

— Little Debbie (@LittleDebbie) February 4, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hackbunny posted:

Wrestling is acting bitch

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shear Modulus posted:

If you, like @sunnydelight was yesterday, feel like giving up, here are some tips:

--be realistic about what you can do
--speak w/loved ones who will help break you from negative self-talk
--give yourself an incentive for finishing
--remember the "why" of your "this" https://t.co/76mgKGIfl9

— Little Debbie (@LittleDebbie) February 4, 2019

thanks little debbie. i will eat a box of cosmic brownies and call it self-care in your honor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
this faux-therapeutic language just makes me feel drinking alone has more dignity

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
it's okay just consume

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
feel bad? consume
feel good? consume
feel? consume
f? CONSUME
? CONSUME
????? C O N S U M E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im kind of worried the sunny d thing was an actual cry for help from the human who wrote it and its just being disguised as woke branding