Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

I look at the Avengers/Captain Marvel trailer and I look at the Hobbs and Shaw trailer and I wonder how is this even the same industry? It's late night local cable TV vs full on Hollywood blockbuster level of different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuRcYUbE2zE

they can cheap out on the trailers because the comic book nerds are going to shuffle in anyhow, can't they

profit is revenue - spend friendoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How big of a demographic is comic book fans? I would be interested in seeing demographics for who is showing up the most to see these films in theaters. I've always been very interested in seeing what it is that brings people into the theater, but I don't know that such information exists. I know that deep down it probably has nothing to do with the quality of a film, because as we've seen, the MCU movies make an incredible amount of money.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Actual people who buy comic books are a tiny group.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I said come in! posted:

How big of a demographic is comic book fans? I would be interested in seeing demographics for who is showing up the most to see these films in theaters. I've always been very interested in seeing what it is that brings people into the theater, but I don't know that such information exists. I know that deep down it probably has nothing to do with the quality of a film, because as we've seen, the MCU movies make an incredible amount of money.

Agreed, I've come to the gradual realization that the correlation between financial success and quality is tenuous at best, because people go to movies to relax and be entertained, and for better or worse, MCU has perfected that kind of light and disposable entertainment. I think a big help is that bloggers and media are far more generous to to the MCU movies for some weird inexplicable reason. If people are told a movie is good then they're more likely to give it the benefit of the doubt I think.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dan Didio posted:

Actual people who buy comic books are a tiny group.

Yep, but the problem is that [original fans] of comics and cartoons and books are very vocal online and if there's no other newsworthy aspects about an upcoming adaptation then they can pretty easily hijack the discussion. There doesn't even need to be an actual discussion, they just need to be seen to be kicking up a stink and that'll make headlines all on its own, and even if the general public doesn't read the articles they'll still see the headlines in sidebars and assume the production is in trouble.

The lead up to Ghostbusters 2016 was a great example of all that (irrespective of the actual quality of the film when it eventually came out)

Related to that, I just heard that there's a Comicsgate movement that is a bunch of chuds fighting back against the "SJW invasion" of the medium :rolleyes:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, but the problem is that [original fans] of comics and cartoons and books are very vocal online and if there's no other newsworthy aspects about an upcoming adaptation then they can pretty easily hijack the discussion. There doesn't even need to be an actual discussion, they just need to be seen to be kicking up a stink and that'll make headlines all on its own, and even if the general public doesn't read the articles they'll still see the headlines in sidebars and assume the production is in trouble.

The lead up to Ghostbusters 2016 was a great example of all that (irrespective of the actual quality of the film when it eventually came out)

Related to that, I just heard that there's a Comicsgate movement that is a bunch of chuds fighting back against the "SJW invasion" of the medium :rolleyes:

Can you imagine the uproar if Superman fought against the nazi alt right movement today? Or if Captain America told the MCU president to gently caress off with his wall and caravan scaremongering?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

McCloud posted:

Agreed, I've come to the gradual realization that the correlation between financial success and quality is tenuous at best, because people go to movies to relax and be entertained, and for better or worse, MCU has perfected that kind of light and disposable entertainment. I think a big help is that bloggers and media are far more generous to to the MCU movies for some weird inexplicable reason. If people are told a movie is good then they're more likely to give it the benefit of the doubt I think.

Like... Just... Turn your brain off??!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gatts posted:

I look at the Avengers/Captain Marvel trailer and I look at the Hobbs and Shaw trailer and I wonder how is this even the same industry? It's late night local cable TV vs full on Hollywood blockbuster level of different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuRcYUbE2zE

Could be worse, the Birds of Prey trailer looks like public access TV

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The latest genius to come from that group is Mike S Miller drew on an original Mike Weiringo cover breakdown and turned Spider-Man into his own lovely character, then forged Ringo’s signature. He tried showing it off to another chud, who told him he shoulda just left it alone.

He handled the news like a true adult, setting the piece on fire on his lovely outdoor grill.

Edit: Corrected. Thanks man!

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 5, 2019

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Retardog posted:

The latest genius to come from that group is Ethan Van Sciver drew on an original Mike Weiringo cover breakdown and turned Spider-Man into his own lovely character, then forged Ringo’s signature. He tried showing it off to another chud, who told him he shoulda just left it alone.

He handled the news like a true adult, setting the piece on fire on his lovely outdoor grill.

Sciver is an absolute scumbag, but to give rear end in a top hat idiocy its due, it was Mike S. Miller that did that with the Spider-Man picture.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Retardog posted:

The latest genius to come from that group is Mike S Miller drew on an original Mike Weiringo cover breakdown and turned Spider-Man into his own lovely character, then forged Ringo’s signature.
He was gonna pawn it off as a semi-original cover from Weiringo until his estate stepped in and very politely told him to gently caress off.

Dude folded like an accordion.

Also that same line of idiot chud comics morons:
Have an anti-circumscision hero book
Reached out to Larry Hama to speak out against SJWs in books (lol)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These people running in the same circles as Diversity & Comics or is that a different thing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Burkion posted:

These people running in the same circles as Diversity & Comics or is that a different thing

He's the mafia boss, apparently.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Endgame is still currently sitting at around a 3 hour edit:

http://collider.com/avengers-endgame-runtime-update/

For as long as Infinity War was, I thought it was paced fairly well. The Thor plot line in the mid-movie was a bit of a drag, but I still think overall it worked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have zero problems with a three hour movie but i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I have zero problems with a three hour movie but i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority here.

I'm down for it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least for the first run through. I feel like Marvel and especially Avengers stuff tends to diminish for me on repeated views as the novelty wears off and I can see the seams on the action, I don't think a 3 hour cut would help with that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I have no problem with a three hour movie if the content demands it. But I agree with the concept of diminishing returns. When Infinity War popped up on Netflix I had to break it up into three viewings on a rewatch, and never had any interest in dedicating that time to it again in theatres.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
You get your money's worth as well.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Three hours isn't much compared to a 24 hour marathon of all the movies

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

You get your money's worth as well.

If the movie is long enough it's like they're paying you, really.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
id be worried theyll linger for the first hour where they show the aftereffects of The Snap, kinda boring with nothing happening

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I rewatched Infinity War the other other night and it works for me because its so dense. No, there's not some great narrative in there but its just scene after scene of teamups and meetups and fights. So it never really stops to lose momentum (except maybe with that Peter Dinklage subplot or the Thanos/Gamora stuff, but I was cool with both).

So like, if Endgame does that same sort of thing it can work even at 3 hours. And its interesting because we know Ant-Man, Hawkeye, and Captain Marvel all got held back but show up in Endgame so they theoretically left themselves room to keep running on the "teamups and meetups" thing even without any other surprises to keep the "finger snap fallout" first act moving.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1093273420857569280

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Ammanas posted:

id be worried theyll linger for the first hour where they show the aftereffects of The Snap, kinda boring with nothing happening

I don't want anything to linger but there's a LOT of ways this can be interesting. Show the immediate effects (planes falling out of the sky, ships running aground, meltdowns, blackouts, ...) and longer term global impacts. Does society break down? Villains take over? Personally I hope they don't just gloss over the impact and consequences.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

935 posted:

I don't want anything to linger but there's a LOT of ways this can be interesting. Show the immediate effects (planes falling out of the sky, ships running aground, meltdowns, blackouts, ...) and longer term global impacts. Does society break down? Villains take over? Personally I hope they don't just gloss over the impact and consequences.

They won't say poo poo - at best:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Killing half of all life would do wonders for the climate change situation

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Retardog posted:

Killing half of all life would do wonders for the climate change situation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47063973

TL;DR Colonization of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it cooled the Earth enough to create a “mini ice age”.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lol, Ike sucks

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I said come in! posted:

Bring back Intermission

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

TL;DR Colonization of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it cooled the Earth enough to create a “mini ice age”.

Ghengis Khan's conquests did something similar, if memory serves.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

If the snap actually happened for real that would leave the earth with 3.76 billion people, which probably would not have the impact that this mass genocide had because when it occurred the earth didn't even have 1 billion people yet. I don't think realistically halving the worlds population in 2019 would do any good, the damage has already been done and according to pretty much all environmental scientists can't be reversed at this point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I find it fascinating that people are hypervigilant about all the people Superman callously does not save in a fight to the death, but are now having casual conversations about how genocide may heal the Earth.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Vintersorg posted:

They won't say poo poo - at best:

wasn't this retconned in civil war, with only like 70 people dying in that battle?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Equeen posted:

wasn't this retconned in civil war, with only like 70 people dying in that battle?

I believe the reasoning was that “hundreds” were killed total while 70-something were killed indirectly through the Avengers’ own actions.

It’s still pretty funny that a massive alien armada turning all of NYC into a war zone is less lethal than nineteen people on a few planes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I find it fascinating that people are hypervigilant about all the people Superman callously does not save in a fight to the death, but are now having casual conversations about how genocide may heal the Earth.

We could save a large number of citizens, down some of our deeper mine-shafts!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1093520269656973312

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's a good shot though, right? I'd dare say that's a great shot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's a good shot though, right? I'd dare say that's a great shot.

Well, it accomplishes the goal of showing us the characters that's for sure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ragnarok is full of shots like that and I cannot bring myself to watch it again. It looks awful. What the hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously the best way to show a crowd of people watching their home get destroyed is to have them stand calmly in order at an extremely level angle

Only a complete amateur would show them, say, crammed against the window trying to see what's happening