Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have so many hours in this game and I still can't really manage fighting a war in more than one region, much less a global war with fronts everywhere. Like the war I just got dragged into against the Ottomans. I can't imagine doing a WC just because dealing with all those wars at once seems impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fister Roboto posted:

I want the AI to play more like a human player. If a human player is in an unwinnable war, they would probably recognize that and try to surrender as soon as possible with the most favorable terms possible

I see you haven't played against human players.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

pettiness modeled as an ai parameter

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Give the AI savescumming and ragequitting options for a more realistic playing experience?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

150 year MTTH asks for a pause and goes afk for an undefined amount of time

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Groke posted:

Give the AI savescumming and ragequitting options for a more realistic playing experience?

Maybe CTD is actually AI savescumming.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Patch. :toot:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...0190204_for_rec

I assume still no +women advisor chance custom idea?

quote:

tributaries will no longer be immune to coalitions
Finally. Mmmmm, I can almost taste the tears as people can't use their favorite dumb exploit.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

It's so satisfying to get revenge on a country that hosed me over before. I'm still playing my first real game as Catholic Spain and for the last 100 years or so my mortal enemies were this Protestant Tuscany/Austria alliance. They had some other smaller allies between them but Austria and Tuscany were the strongest and they seemed inseparable. Tuscany owned all of northern and central Italy and kicked the pope out of Rome, and combined with Austria they were super strong and I could just never beat them. I'm really bad at this game and I had lost multiple wars against them and they were slowly kicking me out of Italy. I was down to just the southern tip of the boot. I persisted though, determined to see them burn. Eventually, after decades of giant wars of attrition across the continent, their armies had been weakened substantially when the Ottomans invaded Austria and seized Vienna. I took advantage of that and invaded Tuscany and then I was so, so happy to see Tuscany fully occupied and completely ruined. I even got a special event for my troops sacking their capital and devastating it, looting and burning it and committing all sorts of atrocities.

Now I've taken all my land back plus some extra, gave Rome back to the pope, and then forced Tuscany to break apart into two different states. Their alliance with Austria has been shattered as well. So good. :spain:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Poil posted:

Patch. :toot:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...0190204_for_rec

Finally. Mmmmm, I can almost taste the tears as people can't use their favorite dumb exploit.

- Countries with good (100+) relations will be excluded from coastal raiding

Finally!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Apparently the patch fixed a bug where forming a pirate nation in a multiplayer game converted the host into a pirate instead of you. Lmao at whoever found that out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

- Texas' leader names and ship names have been made more Texan.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Poil posted:

If you don't care about Ironman/Achievements: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1633304335

Does anyone know if it's possible to mod the Naval missions? I'm trying to give galleys trade power, and the basics of that are super simple, but getting the game to recognize that galleys can now protect trade is harder.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

How many are King of The Hill references?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poil posted:

I don't understand why this isn't in the options when starting a campaign, honestly. Let us have more female advisors and leaders if we want.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BUT

MY

HISTORICAL ACCURACY

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

alansmithee posted:

Just wondering is Aragon really better than Castille? I understand all the medditerranean claims, but Castille gets a bunch of Italian claims, as well as PU over GB/England and Austria. That's like, 2 of the three other major european powers just given to you. And from my understanding you should still be able to do the whole no-CB take Byzantium start. The claims Aragon gets are in general worth more than the colonial ones that Castille does but...free PU over GB and Austria! As an aside, if you win the war over GB you can force convert them to Catholic which is humorous.

If you switch to a different culture group, you get the Spanish missions when you form Spain. This makes it super easy to get ham with both trees. My opener is to try and force a PU on Bohemia, then snowball around with them + Iberian Wedding + Portugal. Keep going until you eventually get Spain and blob more.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ironman ironsham. Thank you.

White Coke posted:

How many are King of The Hill references?
Not enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't understand why this isn't in the options when starting a campaign, honestly. Let us have more female advisors and leaders if we want.
There used to be but they took it out. Some bug with it I believe they claimed but it is apparently super duper hard to fix or prioritize.

Fister Roboto posted:

BUT

MY

HISTORICAL ACCURACY
Strange how they always only fall back on that particular "argument" whenever there is a chance to be misogynic and/or racist. Nevermind that there are tons of historical inaccuracies in the game including several kinda important outcomes that are completely impossible (like the Qing, unless a human does it), gotta oppress uppity minorities who aren't white or male enough or they might think they aren't untermenschen.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 5, 2019

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I don't care about achievements so I have the female advisors/generals thing added to the NI of whatever nation I play. I don't know what the bug is supposed to be but it hasn't ruined any of my games at least (I think).

The only thing I don't like about it is that when my ruler is female too her consort will almost inevitably cheat on her with one of the female advisors, even if they're twice the age of my ruler :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Poil posted:

Strange how they always only fall back on that particular "argument" whenever there is a chance to be misogynic and/or racist. Nevermind that there are tons of historical inaccuracies in the game including several kinda important outcomes that are completely impossible (like the Qing, unless a human does it), gotta oppress uppity minorities who aren't white or male enough or they might think they aren't untermenschen.

I've already said it was caused by a bug here several times, and I am pretty sure the modifier is back in this patch since people are reporting it breaking their saves.
I'm the guy who added the equality laws to CK2, stop painting me like some sort of misogynist devil

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 5, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Poil posted:

It's also often used when comparing various nations. E.g. when Institutions are discussed you can hear "ahistorical" for African or Asian power be on par with Europeans at any point. Even though in reality Europeans were less able than they're in the game as the game allows you to send an unrealistic amount of troops all over the world. It's just AI doesn't care enough to do that. And of course it's hard to say what be an appropriate tech level of my African empire if conquers half of the world.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I made that change! It's just the list of defenders of the Alamo, plus the Presidents of the Republic of Texas, plus a departed Texan goon.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

I've already said it was caused by a bug here several times, and I am pretty sure the modifier is back in this patch since people are reporting it breaking their saves.
I'm the guy who added the equality laws to CK2, stop painting me like some sort of misogynist devil
Um, that was completely and only directed towards the "Mah historical accuracy! :qq:" bullshit and not at all towards you, or any other paradox person. Sorry for not being clear.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Groogy posted:

I don’t think we’re talking about you, Groogy. I think we’re talking about the people who make angry comments on the mod page.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Oh I didn't connect it with being related to the mod

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
People get reeeeeal mad about two lines of defines.lua.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, I get mad it's not progressive enough. :argh:

ilitarist posted:

It's also often used when comparing various nations. E.g. when Institutions are discussed you can hear "ahistorical" for African or Asian power be on par with Europeans at any point. Even though in reality Europeans were less able than they're in the game as the game allows you to send an unrealistic amount of troops all over the world. It's just AI doesn't care enough to do that. And of course it's hard to say what be an appropriate tech level of my African empire if conquers half of the world.
Yeah, it's like their entire world view would collapse if they were to accept that 100 Spaniards didn't actually conquer the Aztecs on their own.

It is kinda weird how you can embrace Colonialism as, say, Korea before it even spreads outside Iberia though. Especially if nobody, including you, in the entire continent is even remotely interested in Exploration or Expansion ideas. :v:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

skasion posted:

Apparently the patch fixed a bug where forming a pirate nation in a multiplayer game converted the host into a pirate instead of you. Lmao at whoever found that out.

I found that out when my friend wanted to play as the Moroccan pirate nation and I became them instead lol.

Don't the devs love testing in multiplayer??

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

No, we just balance for MP. But we also don't give a gently caress about MP and only balance for SP. It's Schrodingers argument

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Groogy posted:

No, we just balance for MP. But we also don't give a gently caress about MP and only balance for SP. It's Schrodingers argument

So you were host when you wanted to play the Moroccan pirates right

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Cool, TIL the devs balance for the quantum superposition of multiplayer and singleplayer.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

Cool, TIL the devs balance for the quantum superposition of multiplayer and singleplayer.

Yes exactly! Someone that finally gets it.
Hence why the balance collapse the second someone observes it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You don't balance for observer mode? :(

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The exclusively balance for the three mountains achievement

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wish my mod had worked which forced all institutions to spawn outside of Europe so I wouldn't have to brute force it the year before it should all the time to make sure the Euros know their place

Btw, it's a very strange game to play if you spawn all of them from the start somewhere and I imagine it's a bit like how the old game was

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did somebody say historical accuracy??

Bonus case of The Isles kicking rear end

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Groogy posted:

Here is something that doesn't make much sense to me: why does the 'may recruit female generals' cost 5 points base? You're already giving up an idea slot for it, making it cost points on top of that (while there are a lot of things you can get for 0) seems weird.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

The exclusively balance for the three mountains achievement

They definitely don't because its insanely easy right now with Ryuku being able to become a daimyo.

I really need to get around to finishing my run but cleaning up a WC is just so boring.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
EU4 along with other Paradox titles for $6.50 in the humble bundle right now.
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...es_tile_index_1

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

Here is something that doesn't make much sense to me: why does the 'may recruit female generals' cost 5 points base? You're already giving up an idea slot for it, making it cost points on top of that (while there are a lot of things you can get for 0) seems weird.

It's technically a slight advantage because you can roll a queen as a general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Had a weird bug. Playing as a japan daimyo, was at war (sengoku) with a guy, who was adjacent to my ally (not in the war). My ally had pretender rebels kicking his, when he gave in to the demands, the game got real confused. My war ended (no screen/treaty/etc), somehow my cb on the province (core, sengoku) jumped over to targeting my ally. End of month ticked and everything updated back to where it should be (old claims back properly so I can declare war, no cb on ally).