Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

oh sure, older college whites are less likely to go for Bernie, the same isn't true of the younger generation, especially if they -are- students

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/19/11649054/bernie-sanders-working-class-base

Bernie supporters are basically young people and cuts across class-lines, the older generation, even those lower on the income scale, were likely clinton voters in 2016:

quote:

One is to say that the white working class includes every white American voter who is currently below a certain income threshold — say, $30,000 — or currently lacks a college degree.

But under this criteria, the white working class also includes a large group of young people and enrolled students who will soon join the middle or upper class and aren't necessarily facing any real material deprivation. (A junior at Harvard with a job lined up on Wall Street may have an income of $0 right now, but she's hardly destitute.)

quote:

Political scientists have a couple of ways to try to get around this problem. One, taken by Grossmann in Michigan, is to use separate survey data to bore into what the exit polls don't reveal: Who does better by class within each age group?

If Sanders's "white working-class" voters aren't just college students, you'd also expect him to be doing better among downscale middle-aged white voters than rich ones.

But this turned out not to be true: Low-income white people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s did not break for Sanders. There was little difference in support by income among older voters, with higher-income older white voters actually more likely to support Sanders, according to Grossmann's Michigan data.

"My main concern is that the image of Bernie-supporting older poor people who've lost their factory jobs to trade is not supported," Grossmann says. "I'm least supportive of the idea that there's a population of white, older workers who lost their jobs and are now supporting Sanders. There's very little evidence of that."

quote:

For instance, he commands a massive 68-10 lead over Clinton among voters younger than 29 without a college degree. He holds similarly massive leads among young voters earning less than $25,000 per year.

However, once you get to the middle-aged and the elderly, Sanders ceases to be the candidate preferred by the majority of low-income white voters.

Among white voters over 40 without a college degree, it's Clinton who leads by a 43-35 margin, which is about the same size as her national polling lead. Among white voters in their 50s without a college degree, Clinton is up by a 46-35 margin.

Sanders is the candidate of the millennial generation, who tend to have less income than their older counter-parts. It's just that just as you have downward mobile people, so too you are going to have relatively upward mobile software engineers who makes a lot of money in your coalition. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this either.

Typo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Trabisnikof posted:

No goon’s friend circle is representative of any Democratic Party constituency.

oh right, I forgot, somethingawful dot com otoh sure is the perfect representative of the democratic party constituency

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

someone explain what's going on with Beto and non-whites

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

He sucks

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

someone explain what's going on with Beto and non-whites

As it turns out, as a group they have strong opinions on skateboarding.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

every single person who has ever run for president was a narcissist. every single person running for president is a narcissist. every single person who will ever run for president will be a narcissist.

each person who runs has a different level of narcissism, sure, but they all are narcissists. you have to be.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1092640117544665088

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Majorian posted:

I agree, but I figure he's got a plan or whatever.
I think the plan is to keep Warren looking over her left shoulder for the next year, and then not run for President.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Abel Wingnut posted:

every single person who has ever run for president was a narcissist. every single person running for president is a narcissist. every single person who will ever run for president will be a narcissist.

each person who runs has a different level of narcissism, sure, but they all are narcissists. you have to be.
If you're just going to assert it like that I'm just going to assert right back that you're wrong.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This drama is like the Women's march event of a couple of years ago. He was one of the opening speakers on a night where Maxine Waters was the headliner and keynote speaker, but that didn't stop people from getting outraged that Bernie was "headlining" the convention. Then Bernie decided that the drama wasn't worth it, so donut twitter then decided that Bernie had decided cancel his appearance because now that Maxine Waters was the keynote (which she was all along) Bernie couldn't stand being upstaged by a black woman. And then a week later no one remembered it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

notice the cowardly distancing employed ---- it 'looks' bad. its 'poor optics'

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Typo posted:

oh sure, older college whites are less likely to go for Bernie, the same isn't true of the younger generation, especially if they -are- students

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/19/11649054/bernie-sanders-working-class-base

Bernie supporters are basically young people and cuts across class-lines, the older generation, even those lower on the income scale, were likely clinton voters in 2016:

quote:

One is to say that the white working class includes every white American voter who is currently below a certain income threshold — say, $30,000 — or currently lacks a college degree.

But under this criteria, the white working class also includes a large group of young people and enrolled students who will soon join the middle or upper class and aren't necessarily facing any real material deprivation. (A junior at Harvard with a job lined up on Wall Street may have an income of $0 right now, but she's hardly destitute.)

Sanders is the candidate of the millennial generation, who tend to have less income than their older counter-parts. It's just that just as you have downward mobile people, so too you are going to have relatively upward mobile software engineers who makes a lot of money in your coalition. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with this either.

Are you kidding me with this garbage? I almost picked it apart, but then I realized that basically every response boiled down to one of the following:
  • "he provided no evidence for his claims"
  • "he provided deliberately misleading 'evidence' for his claims, doing all sorts of careful pruning and filtering on his data sets to produce the numbers most hostile to Bernie"
  • "he says that his claims are probably unprovable, and suggests that they therefore can't be ignored, even though even basic critical thinking would blow huge holes in his theory"
  • "he doesn't source anything and the direct quotes from his sources don't exist anywhere else on the internet, so I'm pretty sure the studies he's citing aren't quite as study-like as he's claiming"

I don't think a paying Harvard student who's already got a big Wall Street job lined up via their dad's friend is likely to be a Bernie voter. And in a more general sense, I don't think there's enough 19-year-old future multimillionaires to be putting the kind of skew on numbers that the article is suggesting. And he offers absolutely no evidence for that claim - it's just a completely unsourced assertion that young people must all be partying their way through college before they graduate and settle into six-figure incomes. Of course, he also defines "working class" as "making less than half the median household income", so he doesn't seem too tuned in on class issues to begin with.

Also, note that he never actually provides numbers on what low-income elderly people think of Bernie. He'll cite numbers on what young low-income people think of Bernie, and he'll cite numbers on what young people without a college degree think of Bernie - but when it comes to the elderly, he'll only provide numbers on the ones without a college degree. And if you check out the screenshot, you'll notice that he's not restricting his numbers to only Democratic voters, which is an awfully weird decision for an article commenting on primary numbers!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Because Clinton style third-wayism completely destroyed a generation, politically speaking. All that we have now are people old enough to predate that change who stuck to their guns all the way through like Bernie, or people young enough to have grown up in the wasteland it left behind

Yes, this. The generation raised by Boomers is not producing top notch progressive candidates? Shocking.

Almost nothing in there is bad or negative (of the 20 or so I looked at). Like, are there people arguing the last 15 years have been good and successful for the Democratic party? Is voting for a woman because she's a woman somehow better than voting for any candidate because they have better views and policy ideas that align with your own?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yes, this. The generation raised by Boomers is not producing top notch progressive candidates? Shocking.

Almost nothing in there is bad or negative (of the 20 or so I looked at). Like, are there people arguing the last 15 years have been good and successful for the Democratic party? Is voting for a woman because she's a woman somehow better than voting for any candidate because they have better views and policy ideas that align with your own?

Those probably are related. A lot of gen Xers in particular had issues like 'feminism' neatly cleaved from 'politics' and having strong beliefs about the latter is considered gauche at best. They've been taught that representation is the only thing that really matters, and bringing up poverty, healthcare and voting rights is like saying it's actually about ethics in games journalism.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I don't remember who that is lol

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't remember who that is lol

"Oops my finger slipped and voted to give the president even more nukes, my bad everybody."

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I just had to google "donut twitter" because, much to my surprise, I'm not extremely online enough.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

what's it mean even though I'm sure everyone saying it is an idiot

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

there may be some uspol posters considering to rush in with instructive posting that no, they're not idiots for saying that but let me spare y'all time in telling you it won't help

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the thing that gets me about the donut twitter nonsense is the previous shithead republican governor of north carolina did the exact same thing a couple years prior to pro-choice activists when he refused to meet with them

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

okay I googled it and i was right

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
donut twitter is pro-clinton centrist liberal pundit/wannabe twitter. the reasons for it are extremely stupid and using the term is a symptom of being terminally online

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's like a DSA rose, except for dems who also secretly worried Maroon 5 would do something controversial during the Superbowl.

Maroon 5 would perform their lame rear end rock music live at AOC's trial and immediate hanging if they were paid to.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Donut twitter is mostly made up of petty bourg white people who all seem absolutely convinced that they're secretly black and hence they get to speak for all black people everywhere. This often leads to some pretty tragicomic poo poo, especially when they interact with actual black leftists.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite are the blue wave rose donut emoji people

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1092757072419192832

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Muppets On PCP posted:

my favorite are the blue wave rose donut emoji people

I want to die

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dehumanise yourself and face to twitter

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Berke Negri posted:

what's it mean even though I'm sure everyone saying it is an idiot

Nina turner showed up to a dnc office with other leftists to deliver a petition and the staff barricaded the office and blocked her from entry. Then they brought a single box of donuts and some water to the people instead of listening to their concerns

Nina turner naturally took offense to being brushed off like this and posted about it online, and “donut Twitter” as they’re called now mocked her for being uppity and ungrateful for the hospitality the dnc showed her. Then they started putting donut emojis in their handles to mock her

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

As for the bernie state of the union, I’m laughing my rear end off at the idea that a YouTube stream is gonna take the wind out of the sails of abrams’ televised response to the state of the union

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I am lolling at Bernie’s enemies growing ever more desperate.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

As for the bernie state of the union, I’m laughing my rear end off at the idea that a YouTube stream is gonna take the wind out of the sails of abrams’ televised response to the state of the union

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Were people mad that Bernie giving his own SotU response last year stole attention from the first SotU response ever given by a fish person?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Were people mad that Bernie giving his own SotU response last year stole attention from the first SotU response ever given by a fish person?

merman erasure

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, knowing what donut Twitter is is an extremely online thing. But this entire "controversy" over Bernie's response is extremely online. Talk to someone who isn't extremely online and ask them if it's racist to do a YouTube stream after Stacy Abrams and they'll look at you puzzled.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gripweed posted:

probably since liberalism is a mental disease

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Donut twitter is mostly made up of petty bourg white people who all seem absolutely convinced that they're secretly black and hence they get to speak for all black people everywhere. This often leads to some pretty tragicomic poo poo, especially when they interact with actual black leftists.

https://twitter.com/thequalitygirl/status/1092565883686285312

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
charlie pierce and rachel maddow are in a tight contest for who has the worst case of brainworms

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Centrist libs are just looking for a reason to be mad at Bernie. Total non story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is only gauche if you're already pre-mad whenever you hear a sentence that starts with the phrase "Bernie Sanders" and spend your next couple seconds of cognition entirely on deciding why that is