Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

and this is what that type of armor eventually became before the armor disappeared entirely and we end up in the modern period, this is Pedro II's cavlary armor and that dude had really crazy hair

its not very imposing but as gun technology improved the usefulness of armor fell more and more until it became more about protecting some of your vitals in the cut and thrust sword fighting of cavalry clashing after firing their guns.

this piece is still super sturdy and well made although its lacking some of the ornamentation of the earlier periods for this class of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And this is just a neat oddity that can be useful for some character designers, that suit of pikemans armor is a really ornate and nice looking weatherization, but more common soldiers wanted their gear to last too, so what they would often do is paint it up in so many different ways the mind boggles and that would act similarly to the other processes.

Just not many of them survive. A lot of full knight armor was probably painted up like this at various times too but was often stripped down by museum curators who wanted the dignified alwhyte look of knights in shinin armor for their galleries.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I've seen lots of german sallet helms that were painted up instead of being black armor, they look cool.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

And this is just a neat oddity that can be useful for some character designers, that suit of pikemans armor is a really ornate and nice looking weatherization, but more common soldiers wanted their gear to last too, so what they would often do is paint it up in so many different ways the mind boggles and that would act similarly to the other processes.

Just not many of them survive. A lot of full knight armor was probably painted up like this at various times too but was often stripped down by museum curators who wanted the dignified alwhyte look of knights in shinin armor for their galleries.

How many soldiers painted Born to Die World is a gently caress on their helmets?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I declare Sharkopath the Armor Hero.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really hosed up how instead of hating GS or SH for all the actual bad stuff in it people seem to be inventing reasons to be mad.

i think it's kind of inevitable this happens because after a certain (pretty early) juncture this type of thread stops being about protecting the vulnerable from the evils of SH or any kind of critical discussion or whatever (critical discussion is probably impossible when one of the top posters here has admitted they don't read any of the stuff they complain about and rely on hearsay from tvtropes posters) and just becomes about this communal sense of moral superiority from tearing the subject of discussion down together and reinforcing to each other how awful it is. I'm not really grieving for the reputation of shield hero here but I see that same mentality turned on undeserving targets pretty often on this forum so it makes me kind of uncomfortable to see at all, plus it kind of undermines whatever legitimate criticism you have (i'm sure there's a lot to be made) when you make really disingenuous reads on things to fit your narrative.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

i think it's kind of inevitable this happens because after a certain (pretty early) juncture this type of thread stops being about protecting the vulnerable from the evils of SH or any kind of critical discussion or whatever (critical discussion is probably impossible when one of the top posters here has admitted they don't read any of the stuff they complain about and rely on hearsay from tvtropes posters) and just becomes about this communal sense of moral superiority from tearing the subject of discussion down together and reinforcing to each other how awful it is. I'm not really grieving for the reputation of shield hero here but I see that same mentality turned on undeserving targets pretty often on this forum so it makes me kind of uncomfortable to see at all, plus it kind of undermines whatever legitimate criticism you have (i'm sure there's a lot to be made) when you make really disingenuous reads on things to fit your narrative.

:hai:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I could talk about the 15th-16th century and the more classic era full harness knights but instead Ill just talk about fantastical armor in art again to come full circle

this is one of my fav paintings, and its mostly contemporary to the events its depicting

Niccolò Mauruzi da Tolentino at the Battle of San Romano, National Gallery, London

This is early renaissance so note the early use of perspective and such all over the place, its neat.

Let's get a closer look though.

Whoah! Now knights did have headresses and emblems that they would wear as onramention and some surviving armet helms of this type do have mounts for them, but these are all super out there and were most likely just figments of the painters imagination, designed to look neat and impressive and pull certain characters out of the crowd.

This guy in particular is kind of famous because his headdress and some ones similar to him that are in other paintings of this series (its a trilogy) ended up being reproduced by later artists who were just searching for isnpriation from this time period, its ended up in historical books like the osprey series and little miniature knights used for wargaming.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 5, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sharkopath posted:

anyways all fantasy is fantasy and if it looks neat is more important than its friggin practicality because its all wrong.

I think the real answer is: just as sci fi spaceships are covered in pointless greebles, so too are fantasy armors.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Heres the ones that are really prolific, gigantic friggin ostritch feathers in ornate crowns that rise for at least four feet above the head.

Maybe because these are considered more plausible than the very fanciful metalworks in the first painting, these probably just as imaginary arrangements end up reproduced in a lot of places.

Cause they look neat. That's all that is important.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

the Winged Hussars made feathers look good (and cool)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Sharkopath posted:

I want to know if their was an early historian that wasn't a crazy person loving up priceless artifacts because they prove him wrong.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its always weird when the king commissions a giant compensating codpiece for his armor.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DisDisDis posted:

I mean I kinda feel this thread kinda fails to be a protection from posters from Shield Hero because is anyone here actually watching it in a non-ironic fashion?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Are we talking about this because old Europe also had child slaves?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Onmi posted:

I mean I kinda feel this thread kinda fails to be a protection from posters from Shield Hero because is anyone here actually watching it in a non-ironic fashion?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Onmi posted:

Haha the point of this thread is because the kind of person who either watches this show or can't shut up about how much they hate this show will actively discuss it in every tangentially related thread otherwise - as we saw when this thread got locked due to bad posting.

The biggest anime streaming site has gonna balls to the wall in funding and promoting this garbo and people are going to try and talk about it - giving it its own thread where you'll note that I'm not promoting some disingenuous defence of it was the best way to keep it out of every other thread.

Quarantine

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am very curious how many people canceled their crunchyroll subs over shield hero though

I've been a subscriber to them for years but gently caress them for pushing this actively harmful trash into the spotlight when it could have just sat and been a relatively obscure series otherwise

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I doubt it'll have much of an impact.
For better or worse, Shield Hero is a pretty big title and judging by the responses on Twitter etc. The majority of people have no issue with it. And I can totally see this becoming the next Sword Art Online or something.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

what do you like about shield hero

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It sure looks and sounds nice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Yea a legit critical teardown of something like shield hero should be like shooting fish in a barrel but instead it has gotten so performative that many folks don't realize where the end of their gun was pointing.

I've never watched a single episode but last summer I checked out the first volume on a whim while I was miles from civilization with no AC and incredibly spotty internet, sitting in 100+ degree heat, my brain slowly melting. I only knew that it had a bad reputation, not what the reputation actually entailed. It had the obvious two things that get brought up anytime this series is talked about and yeah those things were bad for reasons that everyone knows by now but also that book was like 80% looking at numbers devoid of meaning go up and that's a factor I don't really see being talked about that often? That aspect was the most boring thing imaginable and it increasingly felt like padding to make the book long enough because how often do I really need to be updated on this guy's numbers anyways. It makes me wonder if it doesn't get brought up much because a heck of a lot of stuff in the genre, including some stuff folks here like, do that exact thing.

(And like every time I make a foray into a light novel my expectations were low and it didn't even pass that bar)

Mulderman posted:

For better or worse, Shield Hero is a pretty big title and judging by the responses on Twitter etc. The majority of people have no issue with it. And I can totally see this becoming the next Sword Art Online or something.

Obviously there will still be its niche of diehard fans after it ends but I'm feeling p confident that many of the people that watch it will just move on to whatever the next isekai hit is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's so many other bad isekais they could do, that at least aren't this bad.

But there are also worse ones, some I had to quit reading after five minutes and this wasn't that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just think, they could have taken the huge support and money they threw at this

and made the best dang dungeon meshi anime instead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Yea a legit critical teardown of something like shield hero should be like shooting fish in a barrel but instead it has gotten so performative that many folks don't realize where the end of their gun was pointing.

i mean anyone who unironically watches shield hero because they actually enjoy it is going to be (rightfully imo) run out, and anyone ironically watching it doesn't get to say much either before everyone starts telling them that they have mental illness for watching something they dislike, so i'm not terribly sure what this thread is actually for since anyone with any level of investment in the ostensible topic of the thread is mocked and berated for saying anything about it. i guess having a place for sharkopath to quadruple-post bad jokes/short armor talk is kinda neat? i kinda figured the thread for that would be called "the chat thread" though

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

But how many people have read that, or even know about it? I sure never knew about Dungeon Meshi until someone brought it up in Fate/Goon Order
The thing that a lot of people are talking about (for better or worse) is gonna get views. All publicity is good publicity, as they say.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Teh shield hero quarantine zone / Sharkopath dazzles goons with realistic armour

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HiveCommander posted:

But how many people have read that, or even know about it? I sure never knew about Dungeon Meshi until someone brought it up in Fate/Goon Order
The thing that a lot of people are talking about (for better or worse) is gonna get views. All publicity is good publicity, as they say.
It's not supermassive, sure, but as of 2017, according to wikipedia, over two million copies of the first four volumes were in print in Japan, and it's only gotten more popular since. A push from a company like Crunchyroll could absolutely make it widespread.

Mostly I was saying we could have nice things, but we live in hellworld

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Shield Hero is easily marketable.
Outcast hero says gently caress you society and goes on adventures with a bunch of cute girls.
For a lot of people that's enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean anyone who unironically watches shield hero because they actually enjoy it is going to be (rightfully imo) run out, and anyone ironically watching it doesn't get to say much either before everyone starts telling them that they have mental illness for watching something they dislike, so i'm not terribly sure what this thread is actually for since anyone with any level of investment in the ostensible topic of the thread is mocked and berated for saying anything about it. i guess having a place for sharkopath to quadruple-post bad jokes/short armor talk is kinda neat? i kinda figured the thread for that would be called "the chat thread" though

I think there's something in-between those two forms of watching; not watching it ironically but also with an eye for critical analysis. I don't think that'd happen in this thread but I'd love to be proven wrong!

I feel like the mocking is generally more about the sort of things dis posted about...though speaking personally I'm incredibly suspicious of anyone who has watched more than one episode and claims to be doing so ironically... I think they just want to watch the show and not get flak for it!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean, i haven't gotten the impression that watching it in that fashion would be well received, so i don't know why someone would do so and then post about it here

Namtab posted:

I feel my life is enriched by the fact that I heard they were bad and did not then attempt to find out how bad

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

though speaking personally I'm incredibly suspicious of anyone who has watched more than one episode and claims to be doing so ironically... I think they just want to watch the show and not get flak for it!

Yeah I mean, at this point I think we've all kinda figured out doing things "ironically" is just cover for doing a thing you really want to do but is socially unacceptable :v:

And speaking for myself so idk about anyone else, I think watching something you "hate" just to complain about how bad it is, is extremely tedious to read and also makes me think when someone watches an entire season (or multiple seasons, as has been done I'm sure) then either your dislike is a put-on so you can talk about a bad show without letting on you actually like it or yeah, there might be something wrong with you or no one let you know that you actually *don't* have to finish all the anime on your plate before you get dessert.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean, i haven't gotten the impression that watching it in that fashion would be well received, so i don't know why someone would do so and then post about it here

I think that if someone were to do a critique that was nice and smart and funny instead of, for lack of a better term, a mock thread style takedown that's more about performative reactions instead of saying anything meaningful, then they probably wouldn't get put on blast for it. And if it were to happen then I'd bully the person(s) responsible...even if I had to take on namtab.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Srice posted:

I think that if someone were to do a critique that was nice and smart and funny instead of, for lack of a better term, a mock thread style takedown that's more about performative reactions instead of saying anything meaningful, then they probably wouldn't get put on blast for it. And if it were to happen then I'd bully the person(s) responsible...even if I had to take on namtab.

Pick your fights carefully.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

that's literally the joke being made in those pages
That's pretty obvious, I guess I have this bizarre mindset where I think that some jokes just don't work for me :shrug: It just gets me thinking how many people buy that and how many live long enough to give a good review is all. Especially when subsequent pages give the more likely alternative to occur if your trying to get someones attention. Even operating on DnD logic there's only a single character shown that would be the right class to optimize that set of light armor. When you have Barbarian rage, ancestral spirits, and a +10 bonus to defense while wearing light armor you get the luxury of keeping all your vitals exposed and still fighting dragons. Everyone else gets told to wear chainmail at the very least, and the story has multiple instance showing why that's the case. Just do the more practical thing and put on some casual wear, hit up a pub or something.

The point is; fantasy armor is always going to be this groggy arguing point and you also shouldn't overthink a bad series because it's bad for your health. Also consider the benefits of hunting goblins while safely inside a tank. Fantasy series need more tanks if you ask me.

Mulderman posted:

I think it is going to have as lasting an appeal as Grimgar did to be honest. The anime is getting a lot of attention but once it ends I expect most people to move on to the next seasonal show and I see a dwindling number of reviews for the light novels of Shield Hero and I can assume people start to fall off after a while. Naofumi and Kirito are both edgelords, but I think kirito is a more appealing version of an edgelord if you're looking at market appeal. If Japan can manage to crank out a video game adaptation for Shield Hero that would tell me it has more going for it.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

and before you say im counting boiled leather and coat of plates as lamellar because of all the friggin metal sewn into the underside.

Mongols had that poo poo down to a science

Sharkopath posted:

if you're wearing parts of custom fitted plate harness but not the entire harness before guns have been invented you're also a reckless buffoon.

that stuff wasnt one size fits all, if you can afford to visit an armorer for weeks to get your one vambrace made you can afford to get a whole suit done.

And yeah you're absolutely right, armor is all custom made, unless you're literally a corpselooter. Lindybeige, a fun historisperg, comissioned a full set of platemail. It's an extremely lengthy process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gbqG4iMw3E

edit: ah gently caress, I forgot to refresh the thread

KomeradeCanadian fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 5, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I haven't watched either show. I only know the info I do from tropes and wiki's which I imagine is similar to lots of others on here(not watched, but heard of the bad things).

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I am very curious how many people canceled their crunchyroll subs over shield hero though

I've been a subscriber to them for years but gently caress them for pushing this actively harmful trash into the spotlight when it could have just sat and been a relatively obscure series otherwise

When you say harmful, do you mean to spongy brains of teens? Or do you think anyone that consumes that kind of entertainment is affected?

Also mfw armorposting

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

just think, they could have taken the huge support and money they threw at this

and made the best dang dungeon meshi anime instead

i'm genuinely glad they didn't because i want more dungeon meshi stuff by the Domo-kun studio

that little Senshi short is loving adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Criticisms made from looking at a TV tropes page are almost always extremely weak and easily refuted. I think they actually weaken the case against shows like Shield Hero - casual ADTRW browsers see a bunch of people getting mad at a show they haven't watched and assume they're wrong.