Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
New Folks

Truthkeeper posted:

NEXT TIME: Caillou will probably show up for his stuff at some point, and I have a new dungeon to hit up.

Yeah, funny story, none of that actually made it into this update.

Day 16

Alright, another news bulletin, another day…

Oh? A customer waiting outside before I even get the news?

Huh? Hey, what’s that girl doing outside the shop?

Sge’s, uh… just kind of staring into the shop. Does she want to come inside, maybe? Or are our windows that gripping.

That is a very attractive days-old unrefrigerated cut melon in the window.

Well, smile, Recette! Come on, smile, look friendly… Eheh, heh… heh…

Okaaaaaay, what should I do here…

frozen in a vapid smile for all eternity.

Tear, have you not been paying attention? Recette’s been wearing that same smile for most of the game.

Also, the mysterious green haired girl vanishes after this line.

Oh, Tear! There’s a girl at the window who looked curious about the inside of the shop, so I tried to give her my best “come in and buy lots of stuff” smile!

Okay, I stand corrected, she’s not smiling vapidly here. And she actually frowns a bit for the next line.

I wonder why she… It must have been your sudden, terrifying appearance, Tear! Yeah!

So I a TERRIFYING, you say? Really? Terrifying…

Um, that smile you have is kind of… yeah, I think “terror” sounds abou-

Things like this are why I dislike Tear. Her response to finding out Recette is afraid of her, the mafioso enforcer loan shark, is to justify that fear.

But that’s enough of the complicated dynamics of the relationship between our two leads. Back to game mechanics.

I vaguely mentioned item crafting earlier, this is the interface for it. When you’ve got an item used in a crafting recipe, the game will tell you which recipes use it, and how many of that item you need. Usually this requires one buyable or already crafted item and a number of mob drops.

In this case, fusing an iron armband with five insect traps of various + levels made a Maiden’s Bracelet +3, being significantly better than the bracelet that went into it, but not as good as the ones I can currently buy, because I focuses on grinding my merchant level instead of lots of dungeon runs.

It’s also only usable by women.

Similarly, one of my extra charred lizards and a buyable necklace. Again, it’s not as good as necklaces I can currently buy, but it is worth a decent chunk of money.

My supplies bought and crafted, let’s open up shop.

Oh hey.

Oh hey! You’re that girl who was hanging out near the windows earlier! Stained-glass yayness! I’m glad you came in! What can I get you?

Arma.

Bwuh? Oh, is that your name? So, is that like “Miss Arma” like a last name, or-

“Missarma”. Negative. Arma.

There’s something about her speech patterns, it’s a bit odd. I just can’t put my finger on it.

Soooo… you’re saying “just call me Arma” then.

Affirmative.

It’s also strange how her facial expression never changes. Strange girl.

Well, I’m Recette! Nice to meet you, Arma!

Recette.

Very sparing with her words too.

Yep!

State the purpose of this facility.

And very direct.

The “purpose” of? … Uh, okay! To start with…

FADE TO BLACK

FADE-IN

So that’s about it! You can buy and sell items here.

A material distribution center. Understood.

That’s a bit technical, but mostly correct, sure.

Materi- uh, yup! So what do you-

I am taking this object, then.

Yeek! wait, hold on!

There is a problem?

Well if you want to have something, uh, “distributed” to you, you need to pay me some money, y’know!

“Money”. Term undefined. Elaborate.

Huh, must be foreign. One of those communists the TV news is always warning me about. Quick, Tear, grab my blunderbuss!

I need to explain money? Yikes… I’d better start all over then. So, uh, how do I explain what money is? Well, the money we use is referred to as “pix”…

FADE TO BLACK

FADE-IN

… So that’s why different items cost different amounts, see?...

FADE TO BLACK

FADE-IN

…And that’s when the hero yelled “this is the end of my journey!”…

FADE TO BLACK

FADE-IN

And that’s why you need to pay for items in a place like this!

Recette is either best teacher or worst teacher.

… … Understood. I currently lack “money” and am therefore unable to perform “shopping”.

Note of course that the shop was full of customers during that whole conversation and lesson.

Well… that was exhausting! I hope she does come back, though…

I wish she wouldn’t. Whenever you get a new customer, they always start at their beginning budget. I’ve worked hard to train up my current customers and my merchant level so I can sell expensive poo poo.

I do love it when advance orders coincide with price increases and I can sell lots of expensive stuff at double price.

I love it so.

I did good enough business to take the evening off and wander around town a bit.

Have I complained recently about how judgmental the loan shark who pressed a child into slavery can be?

Hahaaaah! Shilly fairy, you can’t shtick a person in a cup!

However, I still hate phonetic drunk accents, so I’m going to agree with Tear here.

Maybe I coul’ stuff oyou inta one, though…

Then again, I think I like where Charme is going with this.

Heeey, Teeeeah, y’want shome’o’thish?

I believe… I shall pass.

Whelp, yer loss, then, y’stick-in-the-mud. Maybe Recette’ll wan’ shome…

Charme, please do not corrupt the minor.

HeuWHA? Er, that is, uh, um…

Stop clinging to he, for Heaven’s sake. I swear, for a “professional berk”, you can not hold your liquor at all…

Oh? Is somebody else having an event at the same time as ours? drat it, we had “the protagonist visits the bar in the evening” slot booked!

Hmm? What is…

He’s certainly wearing enough belts to be an RPG protagonist, but the priestly accoutrements clearly label him as somebody’s party member.

Not just no, but HELL no! Do you have any idea how long your tab already is?! You’ll drink me out of business at this rate!

Son of a… Alright, alright, I can take a hint. I’ll call it for the day.

Goodness, quite an argument.

Aw, him? Tha’ happens all tha’time. That guy keepsh puttin’ shutff on ‘is tab and doesn’ pay up, so he keepsh gettin’ chased out. Haha! I think he even has Louie beat when it comesh t’bein’ poor! Well, eitha whey, don’ worry t’much ‘bout ‘im.

Hmph. The unwise use of money is the human trait which I find the most perplexing by far.

“Unwise ush of…” huh… well, anyway… C’mon, Recette, yer big sis wantshta introdush ya to a man named “Jack”…

Oh absolutely NOT!

I’d feel better agreeing with Tear, except I think her primary objection is that Recette won’t be able to work as hard if she’s hung over.

Huh, come to think of it, there was no newsflash this morning, so this is the only news we’ve hard today.

There are signs of a boom in longswords among men who know quality
The price of weapons has normalized
The initiative to rename Egg Toast “Lunch Bread” is gaining strength, sources say

Time to fill the shelves with swords again.

NEXT TIME: Caillou and Amber Garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Truthkeeper posted:

The fusion mechanic
Oh hey, that. The worst part of this game. Occasionally I want to replay this, and then I remember that it's a thing, and I hate it so much.

Truthkeeper posted:

In this case, fusing an iron armband with five insect traps of various + levels made a Maiden’s Bracelet +3, being significantly better than the bracelet that went into it, but not as good as the ones I can currently buy, because I focuses on grinding my merchant level instead of lots of dungeon runs.
And here's one of many reasons why. Not only are several of the fusion items worse if you have access to higher-tier stuff, but in order to fuse stronger stuff, you need your merchant level up anyways. By the point you can fuse stuff better than the current marketplace stock, the marketplace stock has gone up. For the entirety of the story, fusion is worthless.

But then, in the post game, surprise surprise, fusion goes from "basically worthless novelty" to "if you want to beat the final dungeons, you're gonna sit here and grind, motherfucker." Because in this game about being a merchant, you can't buy half the weapons in the game. Every single weapon recipe is [rare item from chest] + [10 rare drops from a monster who only spawns on 5 floors]. You'll spend hours trying to get one of the post-game weapons, and not even one of the last post-game weapons. (Which are, generally, [crafted item] + [rare drop] + [rare drop]) It's more grindy than Disgaea, and that game is built around grinding! :argh:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 4, 2019

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

One could argue that grinding is what capitalism is all about!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A newbie would sell all the junk from the early dungeons. A veteran would shed a tear for every fur ball sold. Before the cheaper fusion patch came, you needed several times the amount of various items to fuse stuff. You won't be able to +15 every single item, but it was much more sane. I think you needed about 50 items to make certain shoes.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Blaziken386 posted:

But then, in the post game, surprise surprise, fusion goes from "basically worthless novelty" to "if you want to beat the final dungeons, you're gonna sit here and grind, motherfucker." Because in this game about being a merchant, you can't buy half the weapons in the game. Every single weapon recipe is [rare item from chest] + [10 rare drops from a monster who only spawns on 5 floors]. You'll spend hours trying to get one of the post-game weapons, and not even one of the last post-game weapons. (Which are, generally, [crafted item] + [rare drop] + [rare drop]) It's more grindy than Disgaea, and that game is built around grinding! :argh:

ehhhh....yes and no. I'd say more but I don't really want to go into details.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

mauman posted:

ehhhh....yes and no. I'd say more but I don't really want to go into details.

The boss battle where (spoiler) kidnaps (spoiler) and Recette has to (spoiler) can be beaten without fusion items, I think sums up what you'd want to say?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given exactly how much of a fantasy pastiche we're dealing with here, it's entirely possible that literally every concept in this world exists because a hero defeated a villain. "And thus with a silver standard was the dark lord Market Speculation sealed away for a thousand years."

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

All My Favorite People
Day 17
The price of daggers has decreased
The price of food has normalized
The “Are Adventurers Necessary” symposium has opened today

Oh hey, that last one sounds interesting, I should totally make some time to… oh, it didn’t say where to go. Well, it probably costs money to get in, and Tear would never dream of letting Recette spend money on something so foolish.

At the very least, my morning is set in stone.

Men. Great numbers. Popular swords.

But also.

There’s THIS rear end in a top hat.

-oh. Right.

Good day. Did you finally manage to get my order in?

Well it’s not like you’re any kind of priority, you’re lucky we even bothered.

Ehehehe!

Is your laugh supposed to creep out the customers, or is that just one of your natural talents?

Point to Caillou.

Da-ta-daaa! Wha? You’re not happy?

What in the name of… “Da-ta-da”? Have you no shame, you ninny? Given how long I had to wait for this… Well, whatever, I did put in the order, and I do still need these, so I’ll go ahead and take them now. Here’s the fee. Thank the owner for me. Despite the delay, I do appreciate the help.

I TOLD you. I! AM! THE! OWNER!

You really don’t know when to give up on a prank, do you?

If it was a prank, it certainly wouldn’t be a very good one.

In any event, you do need to learn to deal with customers better.

The hell you say. Customers like you deserve to be booted out into the street. Ordinary retail workers don’t deserve this kind of poo poo, and the owner of the store particularly doesn’t.

I’ll be coming in here more often from now on, so I expect good service.

You’ll get the exact same service everybody else gets for now. I might care about you if this LP reaches the point where I actually use you.

poo poo I should probably do that at some point.

Dammit Caillou, now you went and upset the poor girl.

Although clearly not that much. As mentioned earlier, these items are worth a lot more depending on how long it takes to procure them, with the best price being when you flop them on the counter the first time Caillou walks in.

Also, it seems like it shouldn't have been that hard to not have that text break out of the box.

Louie forgot what kind of weapon he uses. Again.

The price of armor has increased
The price of swords has normalized
Merchant’s Guild master, your wife is looking for you

Poor guild master, his is a tough life.

I love increased armor price, it’s truly a beautiful thing.

Unfortunately, Arma’s still too poor to be able to buy high-end armor at normal price, let alone double. I sold her the cheapest bracelet I had.

Well, he should really have a shield equipped, even though he doesn’t need one to block attacks. But this still hurts a lot to let him have.

I’ll get over it.

Day 18
The price of shields has increased
The swords boom has ended
Racial wars in the north coming to a head, sources say

It’s always the little snippets of backstory that are the most interesting. I’d really like to know more about these racial wars. Is it those drat dirty elves again? The only good long ear is a dead long ear!

A thoroughly uneventful morning shop opening got us to merchant level 17. Recette can now carry 25 items in dungeons. These inventory increases are always welcome, and they stop well short of where I need them to be.

Oh good, you’re here. Maybe I should invite Caillou and then we can have a party in the shop. While I burn it down.

Hi, Alouette! You look like you’re in a good mood.

I am! Father and I are going on an excursion to eat foie gras in a bit.

What’s a foe-grub? It sounds kind of mean.

Recette, foie gras and foe grub don’t sound anything alike. I think you’re faking it at this point. You’re actually brilliant and well-educated, aren’t you? Admit it!

What in!- You don’t even know what foie gras is?! Poverty IS a curse!

She may not know what foie gras is, but I bet she knows how to curbstomp the bourgeoisie if they don’t shut the hell up.

Awww… Teeear! Help me out here!

Yes, very well. Foie gras is a good made from goose liver, and is generally considered to be a “high class” dish, due in part to what is involved in creating it. By overfeeding the geese, excess fat accumulates in the liver, significantly changing the taste. The process is lengthy, naturally. As a dish, it is typically sautéed, then eaten.

Oooo… kay. Is it yummy, though?

Naturally! It’s a delicacy of the upper crust, after all. It utterly lacks any texture… It’s strangely meaty and oily!… It’s truly the ultimate in rare tastes!

In my experience, rich people are too stupid to know what good food is. Or, in the words of an excellent doctor and a world class chef: “Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where’s the goose? Where’s the fish?” “That’s what rich people eat, the garbage parts of the food.”

But… it’s yummy, right?

Of-of course it is. S-silly plebian…

Still pretty sure Recette is smarter than she lets on. Also pretty sure she’s only putting up with Al’s poo poo out of pity.

Grinding wallets is still tedious. And I have to do it for every character when they start shopping here. By my count , I still have five left who haven’t started yet.

I’d read that book.

:sigh:

Hello again, Al.

Hiya, Alouette! You going somewhere again?

She only just said a few hours ago that she was going to get foie gras with her father!

Oh.

Wait

Now I get it.

Al’s father is a major businessman, the owner of Big Bash. I bet she hasn’t actually seen him in months because he’s always working, and makes up elaborate stories about what she thinks she’d be doing if Daddy actually had any time for her! And Recette is the only one who will listen!

HA!

I made myself sad.

Indeed I am! Father and I are off to have some truffles!

Puffles? Uh…

And you don’t even know what a truffle is! It’s to be expected of a pauper, I suppose. How distressing!

The really scary thought is that maybe Alouette thinks this is how making friends works.

Well then, this time I shall instruct you personally!

Truff-kay! Thanks!

Y-yes, you… should be thankful.

… Recette?

Uh… that’s it?

Yes, that’s it!

So, mushroons? Okay, thanks, Alouette! I feel smarter already!

Hard to not feel smart when you’re in the same room as Al.

Well then, pardonne moi…

Huh. Maybe I’m too used to Tear’s long explanations…

Yeah, a short and to the point explanation does seem weird now. She also completely missed the point, naturally.

God drat it Louie, didn’t I already tell you you can’t just go waltzing in with one of those? Are you trying to run me out of business?

Yes, yes, Grandma’s prized comic book, I’m sure.

At least she’s popping in a lot, makes the grind a little faster.

And the day finishes with another level up, increasing the stock at the wholesale shops.

NEXT TIME: New characters and the Amber Garden will finally make an appearance

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I won't lie, for a long time I never tried truffles (the chocolate) because I thought they were just chocolate-covered truffles (the mushroom).

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How dare you doubt grandma's love for her prized #1 200 Warriors? She planned to retire by selling it for millions!

Too bad she got attacked by an ooze a day before retirement :negative:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ok, what if that grandma's prized comic book grandma is actually Alma timeshifted into the past and she held onto the story because it was such a touching reminder of her friendship with Recette? So the book you just got back is actually the same one you sold, and consequently is kind of/sort of way past the 90 day item return policy?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Randalor posted:

I won't lie, for a long time I never tried truffles (the chocolate) because I thought they were just chocolate-covered truffles (the mushroom).
I might eat the mushroom if it was covered in bacon as well. Sounds rather tasty.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

But… it’s yummy, right?

Of-of course it is. S-silly plebian…

Still pretty sure Recette is smarter than she lets on. Also pretty sure she’s only putting up with Al’s poo poo out of pity.
I like the idea that Recette is both humoring Alouette, and also trying to goad her into admitting that she's eating gross crap because "it's an expensive delicacy."
"Rich people are dumbasses!"

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah that sounds about right.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I never read any hostility into that. It just looks like a little girl with a perfectly normal naked snake focus on what's important

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize Arma's probably just asking you to check the back room because of her tiny wallet, but I can't help but imagine it as some kind of IRL captcha.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

"Rich people are dumbasses!"
Pretty much the secondary tagline of the game right here. Pretty much the only reason I like Alouette more than Caillou is because she at least drops bundles of cash every time she walks in, and would drop even more if I tried to bleed her instead of grinding pin bonuses.

And yet, we've thus far avoided the worst character in the game showing up.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Truthkeeper posted:

Pretty much the secondary tagline of the game right here. Pretty much the only reason I like Alouette more than Caillou is because she at least drops bundles of cash every time she walks in, and would drop even more if I tried to bleed her instead of grinding pin bonuses.

And yet, we've thus far avoided the worst character in the game showing up.

I don't remember who you think the worst character is. Is it Ms. "Ha ha I have the prices of everything memorized and I want to buy it at 0% markup" or Ms. "Hi, do you want to waste money or make a customer sad? Pick one!!!"?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

zonohedron posted:

I don't remember who you think the worst character is. Is it Ms. "Ha ha I have the prices of everything memorized and I want to buy it at 0% markup" or Ms. "Hi, do you want to waste money or make a customer sad? Pick one!!!"?

The first is merely annoying, the second is :argh: incarnate.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

zonohedron posted:

it's less "do you want to waste money" and more "she attempts to rob you by trying to sell obscene treasures at 300% price"

she has some of the funnier cutscenes in the game, though

JustPassingBy
Aug 6, 2014
I may be the one person who finds the second character less annoying than the first. At least you can wait to unlock the latter until after money has become wholly meaningless, at which point you might as well allow yourself to get scammed so you can complete the encyclopedia.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Day 19
The price of accessories has increased
The price of daggers has normalized
If your glasses need adjustment, talk to us today! – Western Glasses Store

Increased accessory price is pretty nice when it happens, since accessories tend to be pretty high price-point items already. Of course, I just made a lot of sales, and leveled up enough to expand the available items for purchase from the guild, so that’s less nice to have prices go up before I buy.

I have a little problem that I need your help w-

We automatically refuse to place horse heads in anyone’s bed.

I think you’re a little confused Tear. You’re the mobster here, not the guild master.

Actually, I have a package that needs to be delivered to the orphanage near town square. You’ve seen it, right?

Nope. I still can’t prove that this town has more than seven buildings. There appear to be more than that, but those are probably just cardboard cutouts.

I’m a bit busy right now, so…

Oh yeah! Sure! We can do that!

Thanks, girls! This’ll help me out a lot.

Alright then! Package acquired, charge forth!

It’s a little odd that the master of the Merchant’s Guild doesn’t have any employees or apprentices or anything to do his grunt work for him., but it’s nice that Recette can agree to help somebody out with no expectation of a reward and not get bitched at by Tear for wasting company time.

Indeed, not a bad idea. The Merchant’s Guild has been generous to us in the past, so getting them into our pocket now will only help us down the road.

For gently caress’s sake Tear, can’t we do one nice thing for somebody without you trying to expand your damned mafia empire?

Look, you upset the poor guild master.

For the orphans! Let’s go!

Cut to the town square, no need to spend additional time and money drawing another location or more character artwork when we can just use our imaginations and pretend there’s an orphanage just offscreen.

Delivery successful! Forward to yayness!

Well, I am glad we were able to get that done with quickly.

I’ll say! Everyone seemed to like the package! Although… what d’you think they’ll do with… I mean, just the…

I’d rather not think about it.

The dreaded noodle incident. Given that it’s a package from the Merchant’s Guild, which is where I go to buy general adventuring equipment, I have this niggling feeling that I just delivered a box of swords to a bunch of orphaned protagonists who are now prepared to go avenge their dead parents and doomed hometowns and such.

Blasted guildmaster… I think I would have preferred the horse head.

Well, either way, we pulled it off! Back to the shop?

Indeed… wait.

Uh, what’s up?

It may be nothing… over there, however, is that not…

Oh! It‘s the man with the huge bar bill, isn’t it?

Yes, but why on earth is he hiding behind a wall?

Heeeeey… yeah, that’s suspicious! Forward, to investigation!... and yayness, later.

Ah, wait! Recette!

Tear doesn’t approve of Recette wanting to dig into something shady going on? Couldn’t imagine why.

Naturally, since the background is completely unchanged, it looks like they were having that discussion two feet away from him.

Cease whatever vaguely sneaky thing you’re doing at once!

Whoaho!

I was going to be snarky, but this is actually a pretty normal reaction to a young girl sneaking up on you and accusing you of doing “vaguely sneaky things”.

This is an orphanage! What are you doing here, peering at it like that?!

What in… mind tellin’ me who you are, little miss?

My nae is Recette! I run the item shop “Recettear”, on the hill.

You accuse the shady individual of doing sneaky things involving orphans, and then immediately tell him your name and where you live. Well done, Recette. Well done.

I was on my way homme from delivering a package, and saw YOU being all sneaky!

Oh, you’re the one who runs that… huh. Pretty impressive at your age. We seem to have gotten off to a bad start. Name’s Elan. In the strictest terms, I guess you could call me an adventurer. I kind of owe something to this orphanage, so I stop by a lot.

What, you rung up a huge tab here too?

Why all the sneakification and peering, then?

I wasn’t… peering, really. It was more… gazing at, I guess. With guilt.

You’d probably feel less guilt if you paid your tab.

What do you…

Time’s have been… a little hard, lately. You know how it can be. I can’t afford to buy the kids who live there treats anymore… So I think to myself, “It’d just be better if I didn’t show up at all…” But… still…

Oh, I… I see. I’m sorry I was angry at you, but…

Aw, hell’s bells! Now they’ve seen me!

Sorry Dresden, looks like you’re going to have to suck it up and go interact with some children who seem genuinely happy to see you.

Gotta let ‘em down and go in empty-handed, I guess…

Don’t worry, they’re probably still riding the high of the box of swords I brought them.

It’ll be okay.

Huh?

Look at them. The kids appreciate YOU, not the gift! Hehe, kind of weird for a merchant to say you don’t need gifts, I guess…

Tear would scoff if she had bothered to follow Recette over here.

But it’s true, really! Go on, they’re waiting!

Little miss…

Elaaaaan, we’re gonna form an angry mob and go purge the unclean with live steel! Come with us!

Oh dear, looks like they’re starting with him.

Your fans await, Mr. Elan. Good luck! Oh, maybe you should go easy on the alcohol too… for their sake.

And then you can use the money you save from not drinking to pay your hospital bills! Capitalism, ho!

Haha… man, she sure told me. Recette of “Recettear”, huh…

Oh, hello Tear. When did you show up?

…Was it just my imagination, or was that fairy giving me a hell of an evil eye just now?

Probably just a stink eye, I don’t think Tear knows how to channel the malocchio. She’d be using it to drum up more business if she could.

Having gotten sidetracked from my original shopping goal by that cutscene, it’s time to get back on track!

With another cutscene, at the church.

Really, I must admit, you do not strike me as the pious type.

Just as there are no atheists in foxholes, I’m pretty sure there are no atheists among starving orphans.

When you came to chapel, you’d get a stamp on a little card, and with enough stamps, you’d get a piece of candy!

So your primary motivation was the candy, not the faith.

Again, starving orphan.

Ayep!

Merde. My previous judgment hit the sweet spot, it seems…

And another!

Oh yeah, the coins in the fountain. Wow, there’s a lot now!

C-COINS?! Why are COINS in a public water display?!

Those coins should be filling our coffers!

You’ve never had the urge to toss a coin into a fountain and make a wish? Just looking at the fountain kind of makes me want to…

… Can I make the natural assumption that you have been so abysmally foolish in the past as to actually throw perfectly valid money into this fountain?

Ehehe… well… maybe once… or twice… or thrice?... Oh! I haven’t done it in forever, though! Really?

I’m going to assume ever since Papa Lemongrass left and money suddenly became tight.

I certainly hope not.

Well, that’s enough of Recette’s disturbingly cheerful renditions of her life as a poor starving orphan. Let’s get back to work.

The ideal situation, where I get to sell an expensive armor upgrade, during a period where its price is increased, to an adventurer.

Day 20 is special, because it’s time to go check out the new dungeon we heard about some time ago.

The Amber Garden is neither amber, nor a garden.

It’s also kind of a long slog, and represents a substantial jump in difficulty over the Jade Way. It’s still not very hard.

The most notable new enemy are bombs. Unlike Final Fantasy bombs, these don’t explode until you kill them, at which point you have three seconds to run or knock them away, much like bomb traps.

These were just super-convenient.

More monster-regicide. Eyebat King is kind of a pain, he’s accompanied by infinitely respawning regular eyebats, so I have to dodge their usual projectiles from multiple directions…

…while the king flies around doing this.

I probably could have made it further, but no rush.

I’d complain about Caillou buying equipment that’s incompatible with his gender, but I’m enjoying price gouging him too much.

Day 21
Lots of sunshine in the forecast - beware of sunstroke!
The price of shields has normalized
Hire an adventurer at the Adventurer’s Guild today!

That bit about sunstroke is our headsup that another boom has begun. Unlike the swords boom, this one doesn’t tell you what item to stock up on.

It’s hats.

My shop is now flooded with little girls desperate for hats to protect them from the sun.

And housewives buying overpriced produce.

And middle-aged men buying random high-value weapons.

This sort of thing is why grinding merchant level and customer wallets in the early game is more important that focusing on making money, even to the extent of failing the first payment a couple times. Being able to sell big ticket stuff means I can spend less time overall in the shop, and more time out in the wilderness cracking the whip on Louie.

NEXT TIME: More cracking the whip on Louie in the second part of Amber Garden

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 26, 2019

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

An update so good I can read it twice! :v:

(But no really, you copy pasted twice by accident it seems)

I always forget Elan is a thing in this game, probably because he seems wholly unremarkable.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

ohboyohboy, I think we're almost about to unlock my favorite adventurer.

Can't wait to :spergin: about it.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

An update so good I can read it twice! :v:

(But no really, you copy pasted twice by accident it seems)

It took two or three tries where I kept missing bits, but I think I finally got that resolved.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I always forget Elan is a thing in this game, probably because he seems wholly unremarkable.

He's completely missable if you're not careful to grab pub scenes, I think I actually did totally miss him my very first playthrough. And then he just turns out to be a chill dude in a cast of lunatics.

mauman posted:

ohboyohboy, I think we're almost about to unlock my favorite adventurer.

Can't wait to :spergin: about it.

You are a terrible person, encouraging horrible abuse of underage laborers.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

You are a terrible person, encouraging horrible abuse of underage laborers.

preeettty sure you're not thinking of the one I like to use.

It's Elan

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 26, 2019

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Oh, in that case I just deride your taste in adventurers.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Charme has always been my favourite, just because of her dash ability. The ability to rocket around and quickly shank things has always been invaluable to me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

My favorite adventurer is hands down Griff, but he's literally the second to last one you can recruit

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never noticed the causes of economic booms because I thought they were storyline fluff. Monster invasion? Goblin Slayer will take care of them.
Caillou was buying jewelry for a girlfriend. It likely failed, making him angry. Keeping him angry all the time.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Oh, in that case I just deride your taste in adventurers.

Trust me, I was shocked too when I figured out just how good said adventurer is. I completely understand why most people don't like him, because they never get over the initial issues he has.

I didn't use the guy for 4 full games before I tried him for real and realized how broken he his.

I'll get to why when you unlock him.

Cyouni posted:

Charme has always been my favourite, just because of her dash ability. The ability to rocket around and quickly shank things has always been invaluable to me.

Elan can do that, just need to practice turning. You're right, speed is important and playing non-dash characters drives me insane.

Blaziken386 posted:

My favorite adventurer is hands down Griff, but he's literally the second to last one you can recruit

You say this, but my first game I unlocked Griff before Nagi :downs:

Had some real bad luck there.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 26, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Better a senseless brooding party than a pointless superiority complex.

(This is why you get price gouged while others are told 'money isn't everything', Caillou)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Caillou is such a little dingus.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

mauman posted:

Elan can do that, just need to practice turning. You're right, speed is important and playing non-dash characters drives me insane.

I think Charme's is better just because of the invul-frames - dashing away from an attack at the right time lets you take no damage, and combined with her skills, you can play keepaway from a lot of threats.

Charme's just really good at my favourite tactic of hit-and-run.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cyouni posted:

I think Charme's is better just because of the invul-frames - dashing away from an attack at the right time lets you take no damage, and combined with her skills, you can play keepaway from a lot of threats.

Charme's just really good at my favourite tactic of hit-and-run.

I like Charme too, she's just too much of a glass cannon though. Plus, her skills are very inefficient sp wise at higher levels where you need to constantly use said skills (particularly doppelganger).

Plus, I'll be honest about myself, I don't have the skill to do the parry thing.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She's so fast and her range so short that i end up running into enemies on accident. I take more damage from that than the monster attacks themselves

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's nothing quite like the hit of an adventurer buying an expensive upgrade with their own money. It's no army of little girls thirsting for hat blood, but it does pay off down the road.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Charme is far and away the most fun to play as for the vast majority of the game. Speed is king!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

mauman posted:

I like Charme too, she's just too much of a glass cannon though. Plus, her skills are very inefficient sp wise at higher levels where you need to constantly use said skills (particularly doppelganger).

Plus, I'll be honest about myself, I don't have the skill to do the parry thing.

I've managed it on occasion, but it's really hard. I don't like to rely on it because of that, but she still does have two other ways to escape. Parry's just good for those times where you really don't want to have to handle where you're dashing into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

just had a run of this game where I basically had a recession during the final week of debt collection. Clothes, armor, weapons, metal, precious items, etc. were all decreased in value, so I couldn't sell anything.

and then I forgot that bad end NG+ starts you off with $1,000, not however much you had left. I still had a decent amount of stock, but I lost $280,000, in addition to Recette's house. :negative: