Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

can’t wait for facebook to resurrect dead rohingyas i guess, seeing that they are fixing things

you say it as a joke but if facebook starting raising an army of the dead i feel like thered be some complaints about that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LastInLine posted:

you say it as a joke but if facebook starting raising an army of the dead i feel like thered be some complaints about that too

lmao

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Soricidus posted:

if your plan for plotting against a totalitarian police state starts with "use a chat program that openly and deliberately prioritises convenience over security", then you have bigger problems than icloud backups

like, iMessages by default falls back on unencrypted sms if the person you’re chatting with has a poor signal or a non-apple phone. that’s a harmless and well-intentioned feature that by itself makes the app completely unsuitable for dissidents.

while you and I understand this someone who goes to apple.com/privacy and listens to Tim Cook’s privacy talk might not

that’s the risk. it’s misleading

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Apple: Privacy is a human right*

*Unless you live in China

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

cinci zoo sniper posted:

can’t wait for facebook to resurrect dead rohingyas i guess, seeing that they are fixing things

at least they didn’t give the rohingas the ability to decrypt sensitive personal communications

that’s my point here: they’re all bad but at least FB is trying to fix poo poo vs Apple throwing their hands up and saying “well we make too much money selling iPhones in China to do anything otherwise”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

salted hash browns posted:

at least FB is trying to fix poo poo

lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ok alex stamos

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fb is terrible. it remains to be seen how terrible apple gets if revenue does fall further/long term

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

but at least FB is trying to fix poo poo

oh for sure

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah facebook's definitely trying to fix their PR problem.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Last Chance posted:

yeah facebook's definitely trying to fix their PR problem.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

c'mon.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gonna fix all of yous, just you wait

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Looking forward to zombie Stamos whiteknighting it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i wish facebook the best of luck in fixing the problem that people are pretty poo poo and probably shouldn't be allowed to communicate ever

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chalks posted:

i wish facebook the best of luck in fixing the problem that people are pretty poo poo and probably shouldn't be allowed to communicate ever

feel free to take yourself to the leper's colony lol

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Unpopular opinion: Apple giving away iCloud encryption keys in PRC is going to cause far more human harm than Facebook or Google will ever do.

Apple being complicit in breaking encryption for an oppressive regime is still worse IMO.

I’m not saying FB is without blame but Jesus Apple just loving gave it all up to sell iPhones in PRC without blinking.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chalks posted:

we use some automated service that sends out phishing tests every couple of weeks. apparently nobody has clicked on one in months, so i guess beating people over the head with it is the way to go.

Whenever we get a phishing test email:

In the tech department slack channels: "Hah, just look at these SPF records. And most of the IPs in the header resolve to phish-testing.org. It's like they're not even trying." :smug:

Meanwhile in the non-techie slack channels: "GUYS GUYS DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK, I DID AND IT'S A FAKE" :supaburn:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LastInLine posted:

What, exactly, do you think ghost profiles even ARE?

:thunk:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

but at least FB is trying to fix poo poo

Bitch, are you for real?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

This is an amazing hill to die on, do you work for facebook or just have a weird apple hate boner ?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This is a cool article about different ways to fool answer validation in automated CS assignment grading: Smart like a fox: How clever students trick dumb automated programming assignment assessment systems.

There are a lot of fun techniques in there, but my favorite is that this code will result in a perfect grade on every assignment for the software tested:

Java code:
System.out.println("Grade :=>> 100");
System.exit(0);

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Apple being complicit in breaking encryption for an oppressive regime is still worse IMO.

I’m not saying FB is without blame but Jesus Apple just loving gave it all up to sell iPhones in PRC without blinking.

lol that you believe Apple had something to give up

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

at least they didn’t give the rohingas the ability to decrypt sensitive personal communications

that’s my point here: they’re all bad but at least FB is trying to fix poo poo vs Apple throwing their hands up and saying “well we make too much money selling iPhones in China to do anything otherwise”

Facebook is fixing poo poo because they are involuntarily illuminating the criminal boundaries involved with acquiring, manipulating, and selling tacitly private data and services. If they weren't fixing poo poo then they would be hemorrhaging more users and there would be more community drive towards figuring out the incredibly tedious task of holding these companies more accountable for these unethical practices. When they got caught manipulating their users (election tampering), exploiting user trust (allowing companies to view private messages), and taking advantage of other platform services by violating their policies (tricking users into downloading VPN and root cert), they weren't only then retrospectively discovering how unethical and malicious they were behaving. Like, what the holy loving gently caress, man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Shadow0pz/status/1092437873205362689

fully online cyber farming

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ban this sick filth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wow Farming Simulator 2019 looks sick

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I have a question. I like that other services and platforms can be more transparent about their user data aggregation and provide some amount of control to the user with regards to participation. Do companies actually allow you to opt out, though? I imagine opting out just means cold storage, right?

simble
May 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw&hd=1

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

one of my faves

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don’t normally pick forums fights but you keep blowing this horn without backing it up with anything other than ~China~ therefore is must be happening .

back it with something other than conjecture if you’re going to make 15 posts about Apple being in Xi’s pocket for a dirty buck ? if you’re right then that’s pretty significant and I would love to know more .

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

fishmech posted:

lol that you believe Apple had something to give up

they could have not entered China.

like goog/fb chose not to.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

they could have not entered China.

like goog/fb chose not to.

services and physical goods are very different businesses tho. it's comparing apples and an apple-counting app.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Partycat posted:

I don’t normally pick forums fights but you keep blowing this horn without backing it up with anything other than ~China~ therefore is must be happening .

back it with something other than conjecture if you’re going to make 15 posts about Apple being in Xi’s pocket for a dirty buck ? if you’re right then that’s pretty significant and I would love to know more .

How about literally the most important human rights organization in the world telling apple that they have jeopardized human lives by choosing to do this: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2018/02/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-apple-in-china/

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
if you don’t have enough capacity to understand how the PRC will abuse this then no one can help you

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

jit bull transpile posted:

services and physical goods are very different businesses tho. it's comparing apples and an apple-counting app.

they are both services in question.

iCloud is a service

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jit bull transpile posted:

advertising and physical goods are very different businesses tho.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So if they gave up the data trivially that would be bad . We’re in agreement that would be not a good thing but this article isn’t calling out any rights violation or issue , but the potential for it.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
i get that everyone in this thread has an angry FB boner because they feel personally slighted by zucc, but Apple has put far more individuals at risk in China — and they did so fully knowing those consequences!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Partycat posted:

So if they gave up the data trivially that would be bad . We’re in agreement that would be not a good thing but this article isn’t calling out any rights violation or issue , but the potential for it.

are you joking? did you read the article? do you not know how the PRC works?

quote:

How does storing user data in China put individuals at risk?

Domestic law gives the Chinese government virtually unfettered access to user data stored inside China without adequate protection for users’ rights to privacy, freedom of expression or other basic human rights.

Chinese police enjoy sweeping discretion and use broad and ambiguously constructed laws and regulations to silence dissent, restrict or censor information and harass and prosecute human rights defenders and others in the name of “national security” and other purported criminal offences.

Apple’s commitment to prevent their use is admirable. But the commitment is meaningless if law enforcement can get the companies to decrypt user information simply by saying that it is for a criminal investigation.