Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

JebanyPedal posted:

I infinitely prefer both Misery (Misery is my absolute favorite) and The Shining, even prefer the new It. The Shawshan Redemption is good but it's a tad bit too orchestrated and feels like a very 90s Hollywood film that cost it quite a bit of character.

I don't know, I liked the old It a lot better than the new one. The new one felt more like a comedy than a horror movie (I mean, come on, that dancing bit looked ridiculous). Better production and writing, sure, but I think the old one "felt" more true to the way the book made me feel.

Current irritation: Cucuy: The Boogeyman. First of all, it's extremely unoriginal. Maybe if it was actually set in spain/mexico/wherever the cucuy story originated it might have an interesting take on it, but this is just a family that happens to be hispanic in america. It's just the boogeyman. The same boogeyman that already has a billion movies, but this one for some reason keeps the kids in cocoons or whatever in a cave. It kind of lost me after the guy with the cucuy tattoo died who supposedly devoted his life to hunting the thing. Given how relatively easily the lady was able to kill it in the end, what the heck was this guy doing for so long? Maybe he should have spent less time on touching up his sick back tattoo and more time finding the cave.

If you're going to be unoriginal and bad, at least do it in a funny way. There is nothing worse than a movie that is bad and doesn't embrace it and just ends up being boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ignite Memories posted:

I hope everyone else is starting to get as tired of chris pratt as i am

didn't he make a hard turn into Jesus land recently? or he's always been religious but just went full bore with it??

also, crisp rat lol

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Slippery posted:

didn't he make a hard turn into Jesus land recently? or he's always been religious but just went full bore with it??

also, crisp rat lol

I mean, he did a whole movie as the son of a god.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think he's always been kinda religious but I haven't heard him trying to convert anyone or anything. Mostly just prayers, and hanging out with Chris Evans at cancer wards for kids.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuking the fridge was worth it for that shot of Indy standing before a mushroom cloud.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The jumping from a plane scene in Temple felt more real to me because it looks like Indy can exert a little control over where it lands and the inflatable boat could be acting like a parachute to at least slow them down before landing on the mountain. He fell seriously hard with the fridge.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Watching the scene again just now, the fridge does take a few really hard impacts. It would have worked better had it landed at an angle and maybe buried itself in a sand dune.

Indy has always shown he can take a hit though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A movie world where people can have their hearts pulled out with little to no ill effect and god's terrifying glory and might manifests itself in face melting fashion and people complain about some pulpy goofy action

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They build up to the heart scene really well and it almost happens again showing that it's a significant threat. The fridge thing felt as out of place as the stupid gopher CGI. But I don't really like the rest of the movie either since I dislike Mutt, don' t like Karen Allen's stupid smile through the whole movie, and dislike how the alien skull is basically the key card from Wolfenstein where its only purpose is to open the door to the next scene of the movie.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Feb 3, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think he's always been kinda religious but I haven't heard him trying to convert anyone or anything. Mostly just prayers, and hanging out with Chris Evans at cancer wards for kids.

He does have that weird thing where he got engaged to his new girlfriend super quick.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

muscles like this! posted:

He does have that weird thing where he got engaged to his new girlfriend super quick.

Basically every hollywood marriage is a sham so that doesn't seem too strange to me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

If you're given the opportunity to marry a Kennedy you quickly marry a Kennedy.

Mu Zeta posted:

...don' t like Karen Allen's stupid smile through the whole movie...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The animated dc movies evreryone talks up as better than the live action stuff seem to be mostly exposition and endless cliche quips.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The animated dc movies evreryone talks up as better than the live action stuff seem to be mostly exposition and endless cliche quips.

Watch yourself some Mask of the Phantasm

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
By coincidence I watched Mask last week or so. It's good, but not a big game changer. It's tribute to how bad most DC stuff can be that it's held to such high regard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

By coincidence I watched Mask last week or so. It's good, but not a big game changer. It's tribute to how bad most DC stuff can be that it's held to such high regard.

You gotta consider the context and time it came out
It’s so good, the scene of Bruce pleading at his parents' grave begging himself to allow himself to be happy, the climax, the score

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The old TAS stuff had a neat style from what I've seen, I'm also watching The Real Ghostbusters and sometimes that feels better animated than this dc stuff.

Actually The Real Ghostbusters looks pretty nice in episodes where it's clearly just anime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watch the Fleischer shorts from the goddamn 40s. Good animation's always been about getting talent and a good budget even way back in the day, just American animation went through the middle of the 20th century consigned firmly to the bottom of the barrel.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

They build up to the heart scene really well and it almost happens again showing that it's a significant threat. The fridge thing felt as out of place as the stupid gopher CGI. But I don't really like the rest of the movie either since I dislike Mutt, don' t like Karen Allen's stupid smile through the whole movie, and dislike how the alien skull is basically the key card from Wolfenstein where its only purpose is to open the door to the next scene of the movie.

It just occurred to me that the archaeology movie starts with him having the maguffin right away, just from a box in a warehouse. The whole movie is the 4th quarter of Raiders.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If they were going for 50s B-movie then Crystal Skull should've been almost nothing but people standing around in a lab talking about crystal skulls and aliens interspersed with two or three brief scenes actually involving that stuff and then a big finisher which 90% of the budget went into.

It probably wouldn't have done any better.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The aliens are historians just like me!

*ship takes off and destroys everything they collected*

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

don' t like Karen Allen's stupid smile

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll scream it out until my dying breath:
Karen Allen would've been a better Lois Lane than Margo Kidder.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

captain innocuous posted:

The aliens are historians just like me!

*ship takes off and destroys everything they collected*

I mean, Indiana Jones doesn’t have a great record of recovering or preserving buildings and artefacts he finds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'll scream it out until my dying breath:
Karen Allen would've been a better Lois Lane than Margo Kidder.

Is that a controversial opinion? Margo Kidder always seemed to be an odd choice to me for the role.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Biopics should not be made. A book or documentary is always a better option.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Queen Combat posted:

I missed the post above yours and got really confused for a second.

That'd make for an interesting comic book though.

MisterHutchinson
Jan 23, 2019

Gaunab posted:

Biopics should not be made. A book or documentary is always a better option.

Agreed. Particularly ones that are very, very reverential or try and cover a person's entire life*.

*That said, I've always liked Tarantino's idea to do an Elvis Presley biopic that took place exclusively over the 24 hours before he first walked into Sun Records.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MisterHutchinson posted:

*That said, I've always liked Tarantino's idea to do an Elvis Presley biopic that took place exclusively over the 24 hours before he first walked into Sun Records.

Wakes up, jerks off, eats a fried peanut butter sandwich. What’s in the second hour?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

and hung onto a periscope for hundreds of miles.

WWII subs traveled on the surface unless they were evading attack or launching an ambush attack.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They had just boarded a ship and kidnapped a woman. They had also in their possession a priceless artifact and were going to what appeared to be a secret base. It'd make more sense for the to dive avoid any unwanted attention.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
the movie is set before WWII, at at time where there were no radars and no constant aerial recon. A ship with a low profile (like a u-boat travelling above water) is very unlikely to be spotted.

U-boats were diesels and required air to run. The diesels charged batteries for submerged operation. The surface range of a u-boat was about 12000 km (7000 miles) at roughly 11 mph. The submerged range was about 150 km (100 miles) at 4.5 mph. They did eventually install snorkels on the u-boats so they could run their diesels while shallowly submerged, but this was not all that efficient, and the Nazi's only mass installed them around '43, when they were losing the skies and radars were installed, so all u-boat operations were in constant danger of being spotted when not submerged.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Indiana Jones draws heavily on pulp serials and comics (the famous Raiders opening scene is actually taken from a Scrooge McDuck comic iirc) where awesome setpieces that don't hold up very long when you think about them for five minutes are pretty much par for the course.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Communists aren't nearly as entertaining villains as Nazis. He should have fought Nazis in hiding in Argentina or something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Didn't Spielberg say he was done using Nazis as villains around the time of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Not aligning Nazis as villains eventually leads to the Alt-Right.

Thanks, Spielberg!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Didn't Spielberg say he was done using Nazis as villains around the time of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Not aligning Nazis as villains eventually leads to the Alt-Right.

Thanks, Spielberg!

I thought he announced that after doing Schindler's List, and that's one of the reasons it took so long to get a script for the fourth Indy movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

WWII subs traveled on the surface unless they were evading attack or launching an ambush attack.

Sure. They ran on battery power when underwater and that was much slower and more difficult than cruising on the surface.

Hanging onto a submarine is still not something people did. Especially since crew would exit the hatch when the sub was motoring along because who wants to hang out in a metal coffin with 100 other men if you don’t have to.

The point being Indy has been irrationally irritating since the very beginning. You just have to ignore most of it.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Both of these two clips highlight my irrational irritating movie moments. The first is from the Matrix Reloaded, specifically Seraph in the hallwau between approx 2:20 to 2:50:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8SYrnmFMYE&t=169s

The second is from Kill Bill Vol 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=flpxujAPNYE&t=3s

To this day, I have no idea what the gently caress those people are saying.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure. They ran on battery power when underwater and that was much slower and more difficult than cruising on the surface.

Hanging onto a submarine is still not something people did. Especially since crew would exit the hatch when the sub was motoring along because who wants to hang out in a metal coffin with 100 other men if you don’t have to.

The point being Indy has been irrationally irritating since the very beginning. You just have to ignore most of it.

Aww poo poo, in the shooting script it dives to periscope depth and he ties himself to the scope with his whip:

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/11/19/the-mystery-of-indys-sub-ride-solved/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Both of these two clips highlight my irrational irritating movie moments. The first is from the Matrix Reloaded, specifically Seraph in the hallwau between approx 2:20 to 2:50:

To this day, I have no idea what the gently caress those people are saying.

It it makes you feel any better, I have no idea what those people are saying in the Matrix Reloaded clip either :v: