Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All my stays are Airbnb’s so there’s really nowhere to stash them.

I’ve got three bags, two of which I don’t plan to take to Kyoto, so I guess the plan would just be to ship two to my next Airbnb? Can I specify a delivery date? As in, I don’t want them showing up like the day before I get back from Kyoto.

Sorry I feel like this is stuff I could have googled but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Trying to gameplan the middle of my trip. Is there somewhere in central Tokyo I can store two big suitcases for four days? I gather there is some storage at Tokyo station but I’m not sure how short-term it is and I’d rather not lug ALL my luggage to Kyoto.

Drop your bags off at the police station and report them as lost property. Pick them up later.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

captkirk posted:

Do you remember where you saw it? I walked up and down where they were selling the charms and I couldn't find the goshuin books. It doesn't help that I'm too nervous to have any interaction with anyone that doesn't come down to pointing or handing over my passport.

The goshuin section was inside a room so the books were in a shelf in there and not outside with the rest of the charms.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes you can specify a delivery date/time.
Some hosts may also agree to hold them for you.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone have opinions on Akita vs Aomori as places to explore? I lived in Japan for four months last year, so I've already seen the more built up parts of Japan, but I'm looking to do Northern Tohoku for about a week/week and a half as part of a larger East Asian vacation this year. I know I want to do Iwate/Miyagi, but trying to decide whether to start at Aomori or Akita.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has done this part of Japan before, how train accessible is it? Debating whether it's worth renting a car or not.

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 6, 2019

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I gather there is some storage at Tokyo station but I’m not sure how short-term it is

Up to 15 days.
https://jr-east.ecbo.io/en/

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone have opinions on Akita vs Aomori as places to explore? I lived in Japan for four months last year, so I've already seen the more built up parts of Japan, but I'm looking to do Northern Tohoku for about a week/week and a half as part of a larger East Asian vacation this year. I know I want to do Iwate/Miyagi, but trying to decide whether to start at Aomori or Akita.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has done this part of Japan before, how train accessible is it? Debating whether it's worth renting a car or not.

I'm a big fan of Aomori. Aomori city is a lot of fun, if you're there in the first bit of August you can check out the famous Aomori Nebuta festival and the lesser-known Hirosaki Neputa and Goshogawa Tachi-Neputa. If you're into nature you can walk the Oirase Keiryu or hang out in Lake Towada (actually shared by Aomori and Akita). If you want to do more ocean stuff you could head over to Hachinohe or up to Mutsu for rugged ocean time. If you're in a car definitely run by Apple Hill Michi-no-eki near Hirosaki. I did it all by car so I'm not sure about trains. Like most areas in rural Japan, rail service will probably be sufficient but not ideal for hitting the in-between spots.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mmm11105 posted:

Yooo when are you thinking about doing this? I'm considering a trip to Tohoku in Mid-end July and would be fun to not be completely alone the whole time.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Yooo when are you thinking about doing this? I'm considering a trip to Tohoku in Mid-end July and would be fun to not be completely alone the whole time.

Currently thinking end-of-May, early-June, but that may slip a bit. Current full vacation plan is to do Taipei, Seoul and then Tohoku over ~3 wks.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Rent a car. If you are even thinking or debating doing it in Akita or Aomori, then just do it.

Alright, how many days do you want in either Akita/Aomori? Minimum 3-4 and I can plan something very good in either place. Me? I could do a two week trip on just Akita, Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi alone very easily.

As to which is better, that's like picking between kiritanpo and senbeijiru.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

mmm11105 posted:

Currently thinking end-of-May, early-June, but that may slip a bit. Current full vacation plan is to do Taipei, Seoul and then Tohoku over ~3 wks.

Well, my trip is already booked and it's tied to the end of July. If you're considering delaying your trip until July, I'll be in July from 13-29, culminating in the Fuji Rock Festival (lineup drops 2/8).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
you can't go wrong with either aomori or akita, though i slightly prefer aomori due to knowing people there.

absolutely rent a car up there either way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trip dates are set! 4/13~4/26 via Air Canada (cheaper apparently). That seems right around graduation season, so I hope we manage to handle the crowds.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

School will already have started again so you're fine.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Where can I buy a handkerchief? I'd like to stop wiping my hands on my jeans every time I hit a train station bathroom but I can't seem to find them at the Mega Donki nearby (though that probably is because it is hard to find a thing in a store that has everything in existence including roving packs of young women blocking everything).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hundred yen type stores like Daiso will have small hand towels.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wear more absorbent clothes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress. Even I know where to buy a hankie

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

Where can I buy a handkerchief?

Every convenience store has hand/face towels for sale. Just look for タオル and get the size you need.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Sorry, maybe I'm blind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress. Even I know where to buy a hankie

It’s your alt account isn’t it

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
why is japanese web design so awful. this has been at the back of my mind ever since i got here. why does the school website open a new window every time i click something. why did i get a 235 page full-size book containing listings of every single japanese language class, of which i will take maybe five, when a pdf version is available online. why is my internship company's website full of completely meaningless graphs. why is this so persistently mildly annoying

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Welcome to East Asia. Though Japan truly is an overachiever at lovely websites.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Honestly though plenty of Japanese websites are fine and have good modern design, but 1) for many traditional organizations that absolutely hasn’t trickled down as at some point that has to be prioritized by leadership and if they’re all old assholes who literally can barely use computers that’s very unlikely to happen 2) a lot of Japanese are used to really “busy” front pages with all the information presented immediately for you, as opposed to the current minimalist front pages of western design.

I do think there’s a fair amount of confirmation bias that makes people think Japanese web design is worse than it necessarily actually consistently is though. It’s not like every landscaping contractor or whatever in the US with 15 exployees or so has a slick web design.

The love of hardcopy in Japan is more of a legitimate issue I’d say, and more universal than the web design. If you do almost any business somewhere you’re coming across something in your flow where you need hard copy physically stamped in order to do a lot of things.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
My cousin is arriving in Tokyo today from New York and I'm heading down from snowy inaka land to visit him. The goal is to eat/drink, wander, talk to some locals. We'll hit a couple sights like nighttime shibuya, some yokochos or hoppy dori, but mostly wandering around. We're staying in Asakusa, so we'll probably take a digestive walk around Sensoji after drinking / ramen, and I want to wander in Shinokubo in the afternoon. I'm hoping to get him talking with locals, either at a tachinomi bar or small counter bars like in golden gai if we make it out there, and into a karaoke box if the chance presents itself.

Tokyo goons, please tell me why my plans sound lovely, are going to be poo poo, and what we should do instead.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Fuji Rock headliners announced.

Chemical Brothers
The Cure
Sia

Also Cake, Death Cab for Cutie, James Blake, Thom Yorke.. I'm so excited for this year.

https://fujirockfestival.com/artist/index

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's all very good. Play darts after you lose your voices, and enjoy afternoon naps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mongoose posted:

Tokyo goons, please tell me why my plans sound lovely, are going to be poo poo, and what we should do instead.

Because it’s forecast to snow like a bastard all day tomorrow and Monday? :v:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
afaik golden gai is all tourists now

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

There are a couple spots that discourage tourists from coming in with dirty looks and rude service. But very much the exception. The other places are happy to get tourists to pay 500-1000¥ service charge, plus an overpriced drink, before leaving after one because who honestly wants to hang out in a shoebox.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Last I went to golden gai with any regularity was like eight or nine years ago because I had a friend who liked to drink over there. The gist of it was, you'd pick one or two spots to become a regular at, get to know the bartender and staff (if any). The draw was that the ppl working there tended to be into things like music or art or whatever so you'd find a place where you had common interests and make friends by way of introduction to other patrons via the staff. The high prices on pretty generally lovely drinks was the premium you paid to support the little community that formed around the place. As far as I know that dynamic has pretty much been killed off by the influx of tourists except for the couple spots you mentioned that discourage them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I remember one night where whatever kept the beer keg cold was busted so they would just keep running over the 7-11 to pick up six packs of 350ml Asahi cans which they were in turn selling for like 500(?) yen a can.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

There are a lot of tourists, but you can still find bars with mostly locals if you look hard enough.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Mongoose posted:

My cousin is arriving in Tokyo today from New York and I'm heading down from snowy inaka land to visit him. The goal is to eat/drink, wander, talk to some locals. We'll hit a couple sights like nighttime shibuya, some yokochos or hoppy dori, but mostly wandering around. We're staying in Asakusa, so we'll probably take a digestive walk around Sensoji after drinking / ramen, and I want to wander in Shinokubo in the afternoon. I'm hoping to get him talking with locals, either at a tachinomi bar or small counter bars like in golden gai if we make it out there, and into a karaoke box if the chance presents itself.

Asakusa has a ton of options for that kind of thing. A while back I wrote ~900 words specifically about drinking in Asakusa:
https://www.nomunication.jp/asakusa-drinking-guide/

Also there's Ueno nearby. My personal tachinomi recommendation is Kadokura. Of course there are also any of the Takiokas. It's hard to miss tachinomis in Ueno. All have plenty of opportunities to go local.

Failing that, there are Bampaiyas basically all over Tokyo. Lots of friendly people every time I've been.
http://active-source.co.jp/tenpo/

That said, a lot of tachinomis these days often don't have little communities like Stringent describes. They have become more "kakuuchi" style, i.e. a place where people go just because it's significantly cheaper than going to an izakaya, or they just want to pop in for a quick drink.

It's a two-sided coin. On the one hand, you can't expect some scene where everyone in the place is laughing and having a grand time with each other. On the other hand, regulars often ignore randos--especially tourists--so you could end up sitting there awkwardly as the bartender just hopes you leave soon to make room for other regulars.

As for small counter bars, these days for entirely local ones (meaning no gaijin) you often need to get out of the tourist loop. Think Kinshicho, Monzen-nakacho, Gotanda, Oimachi, Kanda, Deep Shimbashi, Uguisudani, i.e. the places which tourists don't even think to visit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Drink outside in the park in the daytime because Japan and your buddy will be jetlagged

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

Drink outside in the park in the daytime because Japan and your buddy will be jetlagged

Yeah, don’t they sell beer in vending machines n poo poo? Just walk around with a drink in hand, that sounds way more fun than getting shoved into a small box.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, drinking while checking stuff out is the most efficient way to use your time. Wandering Kabukicho with Stringent while messing with street touts was fun as heck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We'll be three adults traveling (me, mom, dad), and from what I can tell Airbnb is our best option for lodging in Tokyo. Are there particular residential areas we should try and stay in? Sangenjaya is the obvious pick for me because I know about it, but maybe there's better places I don't know about. Money isn't really a concern cuz I'm not paying :v:. And will the fact that we're three people be a problem? It's unlikely, but I've seen American hotels and Airbnbs for "families" that were more for like 2 people. Is that common over there too?

Also, anything cool happening in the 4/13~4/26 time range? I currently don't have any priorities aside from eating, seeing the teamLabs exhibits, and loving around in Odaiba or Jinbocho, and I'm not gonna explicitly schedule anything other than lodging and transportation. I'm compiling a list of stuff to do off-hand that we can do whenever we have time to fit it in.

What sucks is that mom isn't coming until the fuckin' like, 18th, which will extend our time in Tokyo and pare down Kyoto by a day. I wonder if we shouldn't just change her plane ticket...

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

It will be pretty small as it'll be a Tokyo apartment.

I've always had an OK time in Tokyo Airbnbs but most of the time they're cramming like 4 tiny beds in the one sleeping space or giving you a couple futons next to a queen bed and claim to accommodate 4-5, which is technically true.

Check the pics and contact the renter to be sure it'll be what you want.

e: Sangenjaya doesn't have a lot besides persona 5 fans lookin around, but it's a nice quiet residential area, or at least it seemed so from my time as a persona fan lookin around.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, you should stay somewhere with better transportation access. Shinjuku and Ueno are both safe bets.