Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

In related news I WAS OFFERED AND ACCEPTED A CLASS DATE NEXT MONTH, I WAS HIRED! :toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

:cheers: Congrats! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Congrats! Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for an industry standard CBA. If you get the 767 come join me for getting sloshed on wine and then getting lost in the streets of Cadiz

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Congrats! Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for an industry standard CBA. If you get the 767 come join me for getting sloshed on wine and then getting lost in the streets of Cadiz

I did get the 767 :toot:

They offered me the class on the 18th, which I gladly accepted.

A bit of a gamble with no CBA yet yeah, I hope it works out. It kinda has to in this current environment if they want to stay competitive. Then ride that hiring wave to the top like the guys at Spirit.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 31, 2019

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Goonair is gonna happen :toot:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Already happened, but as with so many things involving the regionals, it apparently doesn't count :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

Is that a frequent layover for y'all? Because if so, that would be worth converting to an FAA license for, I loving love that area of Spain.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

Is that a frequent layover for y'all? Because if so, that would be worth converting to an FAA license for, I loving love that area of Spain.

It is if you are JFK based flying the 767. It is a pretty senior base though.

But yeah its common enough that I know a few guys who live in Europe and just bid Europe-Middle East layovers.

Animal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 31, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

Already happened, but as with so many things involving the regionals, it apparently doesn't count :colbert:

Regional airliners have stairs, but does a 767?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Regional airliners have stairs, but does a 767?

:golfclap: nice

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

I have a buddy that was trying to talk up Kalitta a little bit. I think it’s a little bit too much time away from home in long stretches. Also as of now I love the flight benefits for myself and my family. I have a friend on the 76 at Atlas and he seems to enjoy it though, lots of pictures of positive space business class. Hopefully it em y be more than 2 more years at OO

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Sitting here, waiting for the results from a vote at a rival airline to come in that will decide if I still have a job or not. Nobody ever said airline life was going to be stable, that's for sure.

Although serious kudos to ALPA even if this thing doesn't go through. They negotiated for all of us at the regional that would close to be brought on at the bigger-better regional AND arrange seniority/pay protection for us all. I may not be able to hold a Captain position, but I'll be the highest paid regional FO on the continent. I'm fairly sure this is unprecedented outside of a merger situation.

Desi fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 31, 2019

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I'm planning on starting flight training with the goal of making it to mainline, but it'll be a year before I've paid off enough debt (and lost enough weight, I'm a fat bastard) to start my PPL. What can I work on in the meantime that will allow me to build some useful skills/knowledge without actually being able to set foot in an airplane?

I picked up a yoke and pedals and X-Plane and have been doing basic maneuvers with that, but I've heard varying opinions on whether the skills will transfer to the Real Thing. I also have a stack of FAA manuals and a 2018 FAR/AIM that I've been going over, but it's hard to know what to focus on.

Any suggestions on setting up some kind of skill/knowledge-building program that can keep me busy for the next year until I can actually fly?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fatman1683 posted:

I'm planning on starting flight training with the goal of making it to mainline, but it'll be a year before I've paid off enough debt (and lost enough weight, I'm a fat bastard) to start my PPL. What can I work on in the meantime that will allow me to build some useful skills/knowledge without actually being able to set foot in an airplane?

I picked up a yoke and pedals and X-Plane and have been doing basic maneuvers with that, but I've heard varying opinions on whether the skills will transfer to the Real Thing. I also have a stack of FAA manuals and a 2018 FAR/AIM that I've been going over, but it's hard to know what to focus on.

Any suggestions on setting up some kind of skill/knowledge-building program that can keep me busy for the next year until I can actually fly?

I don't know what the options are for online ground-school in the US, but I'd suggest starting with that. Having a good theoretical knowledge base to work from will help out with the flying, and an actual ground school will probably help you out a lot more than reading FAA manuals and the FARs.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'd recommended downloading the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

They're both available for free (since they're FAA publications), and cover a huge variety of material that you'll eventually need to know in a generally approachable manner.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

PT6A posted:

I don't know what the options are for online ground-school in the US, but I'd suggest starting with that. Having a good theoretical knowledge base to work from will help out with the flying, and an actual ground school will probably help you out a lot more than reading FAA manuals and the FARs.

Yeah I thought about this, but I'm worried about how much of it I'll actually be able to capture without flight time to make it relevant, and how much of it I might forget between now and when I start flying.

azflyboy posted:

I'd recommended downloading the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

They're both available for free (since they're FAA publications), and cover a huge variety of material that you'll eventually need to know in a generally approachable manner.

Got both of those in hardcopy, along with the Instrument Flying and Instrument Procedures handbooks. For casual study I do better with a physical book than with PDFs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

Yeah I thought about this, but I'm worried about how much of it I'll actually be able to capture without flight time to make it relevant, and how much of it I might forget between now and when I start flying.

That is a concern, but it's probably better than nothing. It's not so much about how to fly a plane, but rather a bunch of other stuff that will help you be a good pilot. You don't need to be actively flying in order to start learning about weather, how engines works, aerodynamics, and stuff like that. Things like navigation usually make more sense once you have some experience in the plane, so pick and choose which bits you do first. Air law and regulations is tricky -- it's possible to learn without flying, but I personally have an easier time of remembering things like that if I can relate them to things I've done in the plane, so I'd hold off on that too, or at least don't get stressed out over it if you aren't ready to write the exam ASAP.

Flight sim is fun but ultimately there's a limit to how much can be done in the sim because even a very good sim doesn't feel like a real plane. If you want to do it for fun, then by all means go ahead and have fun with it, but if you're looking for it to actually help with your training, don't set your hopes too high. The number one problem I see with students with a lot of sim experience is they focus on the cockpit too much, so if you want to set yourself up for PPL training, focus on looking "outside" -- use the features of the sim to fail some or all of your instruments so you get used to flying just based on looking at the horizon and managing power settings. Focus on correct procedures rather than precision, since the feel will end up being completely different in a real plane anyway, but knowing what order to do things in, etc., will transfer perfectly out of the sim.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

PT6A posted:

That is a concern, but it's probably better than nothing. It's not so much about how to fly a plane, but rather a bunch of other stuff that will help you be a good pilot. You don't need to be actively flying in order to start learning about weather, how engines works, aerodynamics, and stuff like that. Things like navigation usually make more sense once you have some experience in the plane, so pick and choose which bits you do first. Air law and regulations is tricky -- it's possible to learn without flying, but I personally have an easier time of remembering things like that if I can relate them to things I've done in the plane, so I'd hold off on that too, or at least don't get stressed out over it if you aren't ready to write the exam ASAP.

Flight sim is fun but ultimately there's a limit to how much can be done in the sim because even a very good sim doesn't feel like a real plane. If you want to do it for fun, then by all means go ahead and have fun with it, but if you're looking for it to actually help with your training, don't set your hopes too high. The number one problem I see with students with a lot of sim experience is they focus on the cockpit too much, so if you want to set yourself up for PPL training, focus on looking "outside" -- use the features of the sim to fail some or all of your instruments so you get used to flying just based on looking at the horizon and managing power settings. Focus on correct procedures rather than precision, since the feel will end up being completely different in a real plane anyway, but knowing what order to do things in, etc., will transfer perfectly out of the sim.

Thanks for this. Thankfully I have a pretty solid theoretical grounding in the aerodynamic and mechanical stuff and a little flight time from ages ago, so I'm not starting from scratch for the fundamentals. I definitely need the most help with weather and law concepts, as it's never something that's been particularly interesting to me so I haven't studied it on my own.

Navigation is another one that I'm concerned about, would it be a good idea to get an E6B and a sectional and just work navigation problems? Or is there a better way to approach it?

Good advice on the sim, too. I've heard positive things about VR simming, since your body sort of emulates what it thinks the physical sensations should be for what you're seeing, but that's out of my budget right now. I planned on focusing on just learning the mechanics of the basic flight maneuvers, ground reference maneuvers and whatnot, but procedures is definitely something good to practice, especially once I get bored with the PPL test standards and start working on instrument flying.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

Thanks for this. Thankfully I have a pretty solid theoretical grounding in the aerodynamic and mechanical stuff and a little flight time from ages ago, so I'm not starting from scratch for the fundamentals. I definitely need the most help with weather and law concepts, as it's never something that's been particularly interesting to me so I haven't studied it on my own.

Navigation is another one that I'm concerned about, would it be a good idea to get an E6B and a sectional and just work navigation problems? Or is there a better way to approach it?

Good advice on the sim, too. I've heard positive things about VR simming, since your body sort of emulates what it thinks the physical sensations should be for what you're seeing, but that's out of my budget right now. I planned on focusing on just learning the mechanics of the basic flight maneuvers, ground reference maneuvers and whatnot, but procedures is definitely something good to practice, especially once I get bored with the PPL test standards and start working on instrument flying.

There's nothing wrong with picking up an E6B and practicing with it, but honestly you'll probably get bored with it after a few hours because -- and this is crucial -- it's pretty drat easy to use when you're not trying to split your attention with actually flying a plane.

With the sim, when I say "focus on procedures" I mean thinks like making sure you're entering climbs and descents and levelling off in the correct order, going through all the checklists, and making sure you have the normal speed and power settings memorized. Forced approaches are also great to practice in the sim for this reason -- most students struggle primarily with the cockpit management aspects, so if you've already practiced those, you're going to have a much easier time in the plane. Sims are much more forgiving than real life when it comes to flying overly casual, obviously, but if you're hard on yourself to do things properly, they can be a valuable learning tool.

Learn to fly instrument procedures if you want, but I'd look at that as more of a fun thing than a skills development thing. Focusing too much on that will exacerbate your tendency to look inside rather than outside.

EDIT: Use the sim as an opportunity to build good habits, too. Fly one hand on the yoke, one hand on the throttle as much as you can, always use crosswind inputs when taxiing, check the instruments for correct function while taxiing, all those little things that I spend a huge amount of time nagging my students about. It's not the fun poo poo, but it will make your training go that much more smoothly and your instructor will be impressed.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 5, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone know the formula (or the search term to find it) for calculating altitude from a barometer reading when you have the QNH? I don't exactly know what I'm looking for any my googlefu isn't helping

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 5, 2019

simble
May 11, 2004

Pressure or density altitude? One begets the other.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
1” of mercury is equal to 1000’ of altitude, so it should be QNH minus the actual barometer reading multiplied by 1000.

Example, let’s say QNH is 30.50 and your barometer is reading 24.00

30.50 - 24.00 = 6.5 x 1000 = 6500ft

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I apply for Atlas can I move to Anchorage, buy a truck and grow a beard?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

If I apply for Atlas can I move to Anchorage, buy a truck and grow a beard?

Yes, yes, and you’ll have two weeks off at a time so also yes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

fatman1683 posted:

How about listening to ATC recordings and get used to interpreting them?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have the serial timing diagrams for King DME serial? It's a protocol from like the 70s or something. Synchronous, with a clock and data, and perhaps an out-of-band request channel?

I know it's probably on a physical book somewhere, but I can't figure out which one, and I'm not sure which specific maintenance manual would have it in there.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Well poo poo, now I got an email from Atlas...

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Saukkis posted:

How about listening to ATC recordings and get used to interpreting them?

Once I have a bit of free cash flow I plan on signing up for PilotEdge to practice ATC procedures. I've heard good things about them in terms of developing those radio skills.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have the serial timing diagrams for King DME serial? It's a protocol from like the 70s or something. Synchronous, with a clock and data, and perhaps an out-of-band request channel?

I know it's probably on a physical book somewhere, but I can't figure out which one, and I'm not sure which specific maintenance manual would have it in there.

Not sure if this is what you need but this book has some pinouts and circuit diagrams.

https://www.wulfsberg.com/cgi-bin/cp.cgi?which=RetrieveFile&doc_number=006-00959-0009&rev=9

edit: Here's another book for a different DME model that has what look like signal timings and codes:

http://www.flymafc.com/docs/manuals/king-KN62_KN62A_KN64.pdf

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 6, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

simble posted:

Pressure or density altitude? One begets the other.

What the altimeter reads when set to QNH (is that indicated or true?)

e.pilot posted:

1” of mercury is equal to 1000’ of altitude, so it should be QNH minus the actual barometer reading multiplied by 1000.

Example, let’s say QNH is 30.50 and your barometer is reading 24.00

30.50 - 24.00 = 6.5 x 1000 = 6500ft

Cool cool, I was starting to wonder if it was just a standard rate thing, thanks

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

come join us bitch non stop about contract negotiations while we get sloshed on sake in a lovely Misawa karaoke bar

simble
May 11, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

What the altimeter reads when set to QNH (is that indicated or true?)

It is true (altitude MSL) but is also indicated because that’s what your altimeter says. Pressure would be when your altimeter is set to 29.92 mmHg or 1013 hPa and density is pressure altitude corrected for temperature.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

ONE OF US ONE OF US

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

fatman1683 posted:

Once I have a bit of free cash flow I plan on signing up for PilotEdge to practice ATC procedures. I've heard good things about them in terms of developing those radio skills.

Not sure if this is what you need but this book has some pinouts and circuit diagrams.

https://www.wulfsberg.com/cgi-bin/cp.cgi?which=RetrieveFile&doc_number=006-00959-0009&rev=9

edit: Here's another book for a different DME model that has what look like signal timings and codes:

http://www.flymafc.com/docs/manuals/king-KN62_KN62A_KN64.pdf

Thank you so much. That's exactly what I needed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

simble posted:

It is true (altitude MSL) but is also indicated because that’s what your altimeter says. Pressure would be when your altimeter is set to 29.92 mmHg or 1013 hPa and density is pressure altitude corrected for temperature.

It may not be true altitude (which is to say your distance from the ground [EDIT: goddamnit, I meant distance from MSL]) because pressure only changes at the standard rate under standard atmospheric conditions. Hence the need to apply cold weather corrections to instrument procedure altitudes. It's presently -30C here, you definitely notice the difference.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 6, 2019

simble
May 11, 2004

True altitude is altitude msl. Absolute altitude is AGL. Go back to flight instructor school scrub.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

simble posted:

True altitude is altitude msl. Absolute altitude is AGL. Go back to flight instructor school scrub.

Non-standard conditions affect both true altitude and absolute altitude any time your absolute altitude is greater than zero.

Let's say you're taking off from an airport that's at 4000' MSL and reach an indicated altitude of 5000' MSL. Under standard conditions, your absolute altitude is 1000', your indicated altitude is 5000' and your true altitude is 5000'. But let's say it's a very cold day, and your absolute altitude is only 800' instead of 1000'. Your indicated altitude is still 5000' MSL, but your true altitude is 4800' MSL.

EDIT: Oh whoops, I see the typo in my original post :downs:

simble
May 11, 2004

I still think you're wrong. QNH is literally atmospheric pressure adjusted to mean sea level. By your logic, the same thing would be true at higher than standard temperatures, but it isn't. That affects density altitude, not true altitude. Quote your source.

Edit: Found a source. We both win (after your correction). It's basically isobars with altitude and the fact that it's determined at airfield elevation and it's definitely more important in cold rather than hot.

simble fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 6, 2019

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

simble posted:

I still think you're wrong. QNH is literally atmospheric pressure adjusted to mean sea level. By your logic, the same thing would be true at higher than standard temperatures, but it isn't. That affects density altitude, not true altitude. Quote your source.

Colder temperatures have way more of an effect on indicated altitude than higher temperatures. https://www.flyingmag.com/everything-explained-all-about-altitude is a decent overview. If the atmosphere isn't getting colder at the standard lapse rate, then your indicated altitude won't match true altitude. Calibrated altitude will be closer if your altimeter has an OAT input, but without a temperature input to your altitude display, then indicated and true altitudes may not match.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IFR question: if you decided to go missed on an ILS approach due to an unstable approach before you'd reach the DH, how do you determine where the missed approach point is in order to begin turns associated with the missed approach procedure? I assume you'd continue on the final approach course to the missed approach point defined in the associated LOC procedure to assure obstacle clearance during the missed approach, but that's really a bit of a guess on my part -- the IPH or Transport Canada's corresponding Instrument Procedures Manual don't offer any concrete guidance.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 6, 2019

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Is your class date Feb 11th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good