Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

if yall think Seattle is unfriendly I suggest you stay away from Vancouver BC, the only place where I've asked for directions, the other person's looked me straight in the eyes, and walked away silently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't know, i basically moved 1000+ miles away from known family and have been pretty cool with it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

UnfurledSails posted:

if the job was better it would make the weird alienation tolerable maybe. Or the reverse. nobody really talks to each other unless necessary. Even people I hang out with (non tech mostly) are okay with keeping in touch maybe once a month or so. I dunno I grew up in Istanbul maybe that skews my perspective

idk about the rest of America but that’s definitely the common attitude in the pnw (Idaho, Oregon, Washington) so if you aren’t into that then Seattle might not be a great place for you

which is what you’re saying so never mind. I’m not really sure what area of the country wouldn’t be like that though

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 5, 2019

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the bay area is actually quite friendly if you're white and rich!!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

America is actually quite friendly if you're white and rich!!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah, not really
rich white friends are pretty alienated too

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
from you they are. not from their other rich white friends

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
everybody is alienated, hell wealthier people are probably even more alienated, they just think they can make it up through consumption or, if they're wealthy enough, being tyrants

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so just like make a craigslist ad for new people to accompany you out into the wilderness

lol no

https://www.wta.org/volunteer/schedule

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah i've done volunteer work for california state parks -- feels good man

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
craigslist sounds more exciting though

and now that they've gotten rid of the personals you can rest assured that no one will get the wrong idea about your camping adventure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dijkstracula posted:

if yall think Seattle is unfriendly I suggest you stay away from Vancouver BC, the only place where I've asked for directions, the other person's looked me straight in the eyes, and walked away silently

canadians are definitely more reserved than americans and i bet seattle picks up some of that through osmosis

like, if i see a cool vintage car parked in front of someone's house in america, and i go up and start checking it out and taking pictures and whatnot (not touching), chances are that the guy will come out and say "hey, you like it? let me tell you about it!" and we'll start talking about cars.

if i see a cool vintage car parked in front of someone's house in canada, and i do the same thing, they will crack open the door a bit and peek out and go "excuse me? can i help you?"

the result of this dynamic is that canadians describe themselves as polite and americans as obnoxious, while americans describe themselves as friendly and canadians as cold.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and now that they've gotten rid of the personals you can rest assured that no one will get the wrong idea about your camping adventure

counterpoint:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just make sure you charge up your crystal ahead of time to avoid potential misunderstandings

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's tyool 2019 and not a single one of autodesk's products can handle high-dpi scaling properly

love for every icon and wireframe line to look like they filmed it through a piece of cheesecloth. rhino handles the scaling perfectly and they've got like 50 employees. get hosed guys

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
here's a hobby for you if you have lots of money and feel alienated: buy thousands of dollars worth of camping and hiking gear.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

it's tyool 2019 and not a single one of autodesk's products can handle high-dpi scaling properly

love for every icon and wireframe line to look like they filmed it through a piece of cheesecloth. rhino handles the scaling perfectly and they've got like 50 employees. get hosed guys

i hate autodesk so loving much

my friend who went over to caltrans says that he's in hell now that he has to use their custom version of civil3d because it's so unstable and slow

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

everybody is alienated, hell wealthier people are probably even more alienated, they just think they can make it up through consumption or, if they're wealthy enough, being tyrants

yeah like i assume this is why the peninsula is so weird.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hate autodesk so loving much

my friend who went over to caltrans says that he's in hell now that he has to use their custom version of civil3d because it's so unstable and slow

look at this loving poo poo. compare the title bar to the window contents

also when you click the dropdowns they animate at about 5 fps

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

im the breathtaking 3d content being created

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

im the breathtaking 3d content being created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUmLjTOkHzs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

blessed content

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

it's the butt isn't it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

it was the butt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

AUTODESK® ALIAS® AUTOSTUDIO® 2019®

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

canadians are definitely more reserved than americans and i bet seattle picks up some of that through osmosis

like, if i see a cool vintage car parked in front of someone's house in america, and i go up and start checking it out and taking pictures and whatnot (not touching), chances are that the guy will come out and say "hey, you like it? let me tell you about it!" and we'll start talking about cars.

if i see a cool vintage car parked in front of someone's house in canada, and i do the same thing, they will crack open the door a bit and peek out and go "excuse me? can i help you?"

the result of this dynamic is that canadians describe themselves as polite and americans as obnoxious, while americans describe themselves as friendly and canadians as cold.

you start loving with other people's property and take photos of it without their permission? that's pretty dumb

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sounds like someone isn't down wit O.P.P.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I can still reliably crash AutoCAD by typing Insert and clicking the insert command right after

It's occasionally useful if I want to go home early on Friday

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

you start loving with other people's property and take photos of it without their permission? that's pretty dumb

"admiring someone's cool car is loving with their property" is a weird take but ok

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

AUTODESK® ALIAS® AUTOSTUDIO® 2019®

pictured, top to bottom: autodesk fusion 360, rhino 6, solidworks 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

note also the overlapping ui elements in solidworks, a $4000/a piece of software

fusion 360 is $500 a year, though it's free if you aren't using it to make money

rhino is the cleanest, lightest and most reliable software of the three and it costs $200 for a full commercial unlimited non-expiring license

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Autodesk Revit: we're still doing raytracing on CPU despite requiring a firepro or quadro card that could do the job a million times faster

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
that sunny-d/little debbie twitter drama involving depression was so stupid it caused @brandssayingbae to shudder back to life for the first time in three years

https://twitter.com/BrandsSayingBae

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i remember a time when blender's ui was a laughing stock

the other day I had to do something in 3dsmax and lomarf

"hey man how do I access the settings for <stupid thing used by our game>"

guy clicks some random icon

"aaah yes, of course, THAT one"

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

UnfurledSails posted:

if the job was better it would make the weird alienation tolerable maybe. Or the reverse. nobody really talks to each other unless necessary. Even people I hang out with (non tech mostly) are okay with keeping in touch maybe once a month or so. I dunno I grew up in Istanbul maybe that skews my perspective

I don't even know lol I've only lived in tech cities with atrocious rent and perpetually lonely transplants like me, the only respite I get from all this insanity is people taking about cars in this thread (I never drove a car since I got my license 10 years ago)

I'm currently in the process of getting a green card but I'm not sure if it's worth it honestly. I was thinking I could go work for a random startup in the UK or something but lol brexit

If nobody on your team is talking to each other start scheduling team lunches or an hour to play card games on Friday afternoon.

Outside of work pick up some hobbies. Go to local events and meetups and maybe you can develop some relationships. Worst case scenario at least you’re doing something more interesting than reading this thread.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

that sunny-d/little debbie twitter drama involving depression was so stupid it caused @brandssayingbae to shudder back to life for the first time in three years

https://twitter.com/BrandsSayingBae

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1092511227002085378

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raytheon is the world's largest manufacturer of guided missiles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zlodo posted:

i remember a time when blender's ui was a laughing stock

the other day I had to do something in 3dsmax and lomarf

"hey man how do I access the settings for <stupid thing used by our game>"

guy clicks some random icon

"aaah yes, of course, THAT one"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

blender is the vim of 3d programs. simply the worst.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

tk posted:

If nobody on your team is talking to each other start scheduling team lunches or an hour to play card games on Friday afternoon.

Outside of work pick up some hobbies. Go to local events and meetups and maybe you can develop some relationships. Worst case scenario at least you’re doing something more interesting than reading this thread.

lol meetups

Two hours of people you'll only see once asking "so where do you work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

this has the same energy as the deloitte agile picture