Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Part 5 is just mediocre in general. Huge step down from Part 4.

Yeah I'm unfortunately coming to agree with this. The show needs some goddamn downtime, not just " okay let's keep going oops another stand attack." It's like part 3 all over again.

Part 4 was so great because we had to see poo poo like Kira dealing with family life. The antagonists showed up again and it felt like we got to know them. They weren't just killed at the end. I want to see these guys hit up a restaurant or just hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't know if I'd agree. Right now it's a significantly better written Stardust Crusaders.

I think the only problem I had with Vento Aureo at this point is how unrelated it is to everything that came prior. Giorno is basically "What if DIO was a kid and also significantly less of a ponce?", but beyond that it's tangentially related to any previous stories, especially with Koichi and Jotaro being removed from the plot and expressly told not to interfere.

Monaghan posted:

The show needs some goddamn downtime, not just " okay let's keep going oops another stand attack." It's like part 3 all over again.

Oh, well this I can agree on. Part 5 really feels like it stays moving fast and the overall part feels all the shorter for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Part 5 is better than Part 3 but shares a bunch of its flaws. Both are Stand of the Week series with little else, spearheaded by really boring protagonists with rear end-pull Stands (though Giorno takes this to an extreme even Jotaro's "oh btw I can swallow Stands/Star Finger/stop time" doesn't)

Where Part 5 shines against Part 3 is in supporting cast. Both of them have supporting casts that are far stronger than the protagonist, but Part 5 has given a heavy focus to Bucciarati and Mista, with the other three also having significant screentime. Contrast to Part 3, where it was all Jotaro, all the time, with the rest existing only to point out how good and cool Jotaro is. Bucciarati has had more spotlight so far than Avdol and Joseph had in the whole of Part 3.

Part 5 is fun, but it's definitely not on the level of Parts 2 or 4.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Monaghan posted:

Yeah I'm unfortunately coming to agree with this. The show needs some goddamn downtime, not just " okay let's keep going oops another stand attack." It's like part 3 all over again.

Part 4 was so great because we had to see poo poo like Kira dealing with family life. The antagonists showed up again and it felt like we got to know them. They weren't just killed at the end. I want to see these guys hit up a restaurant or just hang out.

Don't worry, Part 8 gets back to that sort of stuff. They should get round to adapting it in around 7 years.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 4 is the second-longest part behind part 7 so if 5 feels a little shorter there's a reason for that

also we've yet to see a couple of what are imo some of the top 5 or so fights in the entire series that are in this part, so, hey. part 5 isn't my absolute favorite by a longshot but y'all definitely haven't seen a fair chunk of the cool poo poo it has.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like the part 5 anime adaptation a lot so far

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Of the remaining fights, I think maybe two of them are really good. I don't really care about the rest of them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the anime adaptation is top tier in general and more consistent than part 4's

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, say what you like about Vento Aureo but the anime is really elevating the material

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It might be a better adaptation of the material, but honestly I don't think that core material is anywhere near as strong as Part 4.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CJ posted:

Don't worry, Part 8 gets back to that sort of stuff. They should get round to adapting it in around 7 years.

I'm not saying it has to be slice of life, but the characters need to talk to one another more, because we learn like 90% about them from flashbacks. We didn't get big long flashbacks in part 4 but I can tell you ten times more about Rohan than I could about Fugo.

This could change in the future, but right now, it's not looking good.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 5, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the adaptation and I'm appreciating part 5 a lot more than when I read the bad scans, but yeah, it's a slight step down.

Consider that basically everything from either Aerosmith or Man in the Mirror to now has taken place in one day. Yeah, some downtime would be nice.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

there's a whole bunch of gangstar washouts in this thread

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's massively better than part 3 in general because at least with 5 i don't say 'you can easily skip the first half after the first episode and know what's going on'

also yeah this is literally all happening over the course of maybe like 3 days at most

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I feel like the Gang Stars have had plenty of good interaction with each other. We've gotten a feel for their personalities and their dynamics with each other. It's just that when they're trying to return their boss's daughter before she get whacked, they can't exactly stop to eat at a restaurant.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a real gangster only says "i'm gonna take some downtime" after he's done it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Several of the best moments in all of Jojo's period are one-off stand of the week fights in Part 3, I don't really get the hate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

e: nvm, shouldn't be posting in the anime thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I very much appreciate "If we steal 100 cars, no one will be able to track us" though.

There's more very good moments like that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
My problem with Part 5 is that it is juggling too many characters without really fleshing them out. I mean yeah they have back stories, but outside of rewind dude you rarely see that contribute to their characterization. It may be "cheap" but Part 4 and to a lesser extent Part 3, doing the whole "villian is now an ally" really helps flesh out characters.

Also, where the gently caress are Jotaro and Koichi?

If I had to rank the series so far it would be:

1. Part 4
2. Part 2
3. Part 3
4. Part 5
5. Part 1

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 5, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Monaghan posted:

I'm not saying it has to be slice of life, but the characters need to talk to one another more, because we learn like 90% about them from flashbacks. We didn't get big long flashbacks in part 4 but I can tell you ten times more about Rohan than I could about Fugo.

This could change in the future, but right now, it's not looking good.

Well i actually think the anime is a big improvement over the manga. When i originally read through the manga Part 5 made me quit for a while because of how bland it was. It's a bit like how Part 3 was mostly filler that you could skip, except not quite as bad because it has some really good parts that move the story on every some often, as opposed to Part 3 where the narrative trajectory was constant through the whole thing. A couple of the fights are the best in the series though, although i consider Grateful Dead/Beach Boy to be one of them so if you didn't like that i don't know what to tell you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, where the gently caress are Jotaro and Koichi?

they have no reason to care about what's happening in italy and most likely have their own things to do. jotaro just wanted to follow a lead and check up on it and sent koichi to scope things out for a moment, who determined that giorno wasn't a problem.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

they have no reason to care about what's happening in italy and most likely have their own things to do. jotaro just wanted to follow a lead and check up on it and sent koichi to scope things out for a moment, who determined that giorno wasn't a problem.

I see. What was he point if even having them there then? Just so Jotaro has an excuse to say "Yep, that's Dio's son"?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people like familiarity in a longrunning series and it's why parts 3 and 4 also start with characters people know from the one before before easing more into the new ones

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

people like familiarity in a longrunning series and it's why parts 3 and 4 also start with characters people know from the one before before easing more into the new ones

True, but those characters stay as mainlines during the entire part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How did Giorno get the photo Joseph took with Hermit Purple.

In the manga it was even labelled like a poster!!!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

punk rebel ecks posted:

True, but those characters stay as mainlines during the entire part.

it would be difficult for either of them to somehow integrate with the group, especially since neither aren't exactly direct relatives to giorno and we're also talking about the mafia here which has its own internal structure

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How did Giorno get the photo Joseph took with Hermit Purple.

In the manga it was even labelled like a poster!!!!

The idea of Dio making posters of himself and sending them out does not seem farfetched to me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mention in the OP that Part 5 is more inline with Part 3, mostly as a way to manage expectations, but I also really like that you can see Araki coming back after really shaking things up with Part 4 and then sort of wanting to do a do-over of Part 3, but with more experience. Sticky Fingers vs Gold Experience being the first fight is proof that Araki feels much more comfortable with Stands than Punch Guy vs Fire Bird

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Several of the best moments in all of Jojo's period are one-off stand of the week fights in Part 3, I don't really get the hate.

I like... uhh... D'arby Elder, Mariah, and... Pet Shop? Wait, Pet Shop is plot-relevant, let's switch that out with Steely Dan I guess.

The Stardust Crusaders adaptation is too drat long and I just don't care about most of it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I had to rank the series so far it would be:

1. Part 4
2. Part 2
3. Part 3
4. Part 5
5. Part 1

I feel like I’m broke brained every time I read what people prefer vs what are my actual preferences.

1. Part 3
2. Part 2
3. Part 5
4. Part 4
5. Part 1

I’d be curious to see an actual ranking by people here just for fun.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Waffleman_ posted:

Consider that basically everything from either Aerosmith or Man in the Mirror to now has taken place in one day. Yeah, some downtime would be nice.

It's a shame we probably won't getting any more extended scenes of La Squadra, them losing almost all of their members over the course of a few days would have been interesting to see from the perspective of those that are still alive.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 5, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

I mention in the OP that Part 5 is more inline with Part 3, mostly as a way to manage expectations, but I also really like that you can see Araki coming back after really shaking things up with Part 4 and then sort of wanting to do a do-over of Part 3, but with more experience. Sticky Fingers vs Gold Experience being the first fight is proof that Araki feels much more comfortable with Stands than Punch Guy vs Fire Bird

despite my complaining about some aspects, all the non Giorno fights are a massive improvement over part 3 fights. Even the Black Sabbath fight is great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

Yeah, say what you like about Vento Aureo but the anime is really elevating the material

I'm not really sure that it is. The animation hasn't been particularly animated. Each episode has maybe a few good scenes, but it's largely panels from the comic with people saying the dialog from the comic, and with the pacing from the comic. It's way to faithful to the comic, and that kind of sucks because a lot of what works in the comic is very dependent on it's medium.

To be clear, I've been enjoying part 5, but the best version of this story is easily the manga. The anime is a competent retelling, but "elavate the material" it does not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not really sure that it is. The animation hasn't been particularly animated. Each episode has maybe a few good scenes, but it's largely panels from the comic with people saying the dialog from the comic, and with the pacing from the comic. It's way to faithful to the comic, and that kind of sucks because a lot of what works in the comic is very dependent on it's medium.

To be clear, I've been enjoying part 5, but the best version of this story is easily the manga. The anime is a competent retelling, but "elavate the material" it does not.

Most people probably read part 5 with the lovely garbage translation first so that colors their opinion a lot (including me)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The anime has absolutely been an improvement over the manga. And yes I'm including the improved translation in there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've read both the lovely and good translations for part 5 and the anime is doing a really good job animating the part along with adding extra bits, a big part of that being the consistency which is nice compared to part 4's adaptation where multiple shots got turned into memes purely because of how awful they looked

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

It's way to faithful to the comic,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQx_KMoCgJU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Y’all are just upset cause baby face sucks

In a week you’ll all be sorry for doubting David productions and I will personally report each of you to the appropriate authorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The next fight is really good yes, but after that there's very little I care about in this part remaining sooooooo