Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

where's the reboot of sinistar, where we can finally learn the dark backstory of the sinistar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRMfrF9o6QA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I remember testing stat caps and finding that things scaled pretty steadily the whole way. Maybe I'm misremembering and there's a soft cap somewhere along the way, though.

Either way, there's also no reason to try to limit your leveling in Nioh for multiplayer or anything like that. Combined with amrita and coins being separate resources and leveling stats to do anything you want isn't really a huge deal.

And yes, I forgot about that part with weapons: the game wants you to use multiple weapon types and it's worth doing so even if you don't use them all long-term.

https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Stat+Softcaps (damage scaling might be constant though)

Respecs are also plentiful and cheap so trying stuff out is recommended. Utility Ninjutsu/Onmyo can also be really good with just small investments, especially for inflicting debuffs. Giving an enemy two debuffs gives them a special ailment called discord, which lets every hit stagger them among other things (this also works on many bosses).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

what's the average level you finish off the game at? that'd help me figure out where i want to put stat points more than anything. perhaps not so shockingly the nioh wiki site is extremely empty and poorly written.

I wanna say 80ish but if you do the dlcs you'll go much higher

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

what's the average level you finish off the game at? that'd help me figure out where i want to put stat points more than anything. perhaps not so shockingly the nioh wiki site is extremely empty and poorly written.

Probably about 80-90ish at the end of the first run? I don't really remember. I ended up in the 200s in NG+ (which I recommend, actually--if I recall correctly, NG+ actually changes some things and has new tiers of gear and stuff).

You can also respec without too much trouble. It costs a gold but towards the end of the game the cost isn't too bad. Though respeccing is also kind of a pain because it unassigns literally every experience point and skill point so you can reassign them, and at endgame that can take a while just to go through the menus.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Gritty remake of my own choice would be boogerman but reimagined to be a lot like the Arkham Knight and taking itself that seriously.
Fart-propel yourself through the city to land on a group of things and blow snot on them while delivering one liners.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

boogerman has a son and has to learn to be a father

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Probably about 80-90ish at the end of the first run? I don't really remember. I ended up in the 200s in NG+ (which I recommend, actually--if I recall correctly, NG+ actually changes some things and has new tiers of gear and stuff).

You can also respec without too much trouble. It costs a gold but towards the end of the game the cost isn't too bad. Though respeccing is also kind of a pain because it unassigns literally every experience point and skill point so you can reassign them, and at endgame that can take a while just to go through the menus.

Yeah the NG+ system is really cool and is actually where the stats on gear becomes fun to play around with since you can start changing them to your liking. They went a little overboard though since they just kept adding new difficulty levels with each of the dlcs. The final difficulty is insane with enemies one shotting you constantly and being immune to like every status effect. You're kind of forced into a spirit build at that point.

e: Oh I forgot the best part about NG+: you don't have to play the whole game again. They give you like the first three areas already unlocked and you can unlock more by just doing whatever missions you please. You only need to do like half the missions to make it to the end.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 5, 2019

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

I wanna say like 100 or so? But I did every single side mission too, so if you don't it's quite possible you'd be closer to those other estimates. Getting more Amrita to grab a couple extra levels is very easy though if you ever find yourself a couple points short of something you want.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

homeless snail posted:

boogerman has a son and has to learn to be a father

Sounds good in theory but might be too close to Shrek 3

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so with the missions thing is it like picking them up from a bounty board in a diablo hub town sort of deal, or are they like devil may cry/bayonetta chapters, or more of an elder scrolls quests in your journal sort of deal, or none of the above?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKgJhpw29s

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Play the darn game

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

so with the missions thing is it like picking them up from a bounty board in a diablo hub town sort of deal, or are they like devil may cry/bayonetta chapters, or more of an elder scrolls quests in your journal sort of deal, or none of the above?

You pick missions from a regional map with the main story unlocking more regions. Red scrolls are story/main missions and grey ones are side missions. A red checkmark means you've completed the mission at least once already. You can have several missions at the same spot when they take place in the same area in which case you can swap between the available missions using L1/R1.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Play the darn game

i'm at work this is prep time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

unlike dark souls, nioh has very little in the way of hard-to-find unique items, NPC's, or LORE so there's not much for wiki-crafters to do

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You kill enemies, they drop loot. Sometimes you can summon a named enemy that will drop loot with better color.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Play the darn game

good troll idea: get the chat thread to write 1 million words about game you got then decide to not play it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no my secret troll strat revealed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

unlike dark souls, nioh has very little in the way of hard-to-find unique items, NPC's, or LORE so there's not much for wiki-crafters to do

Plus, a lot of the loot is randomized, so there's not a ton of value in exhaustively cataloging it anyway. It's easy enough to find what sets exist for set bonus stuff but other than that it all has random bonuses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Gritty remake of my own choice would be boogerman but reimagined to be a lot like the Arkham Knight and taking itself that seriously.
Fart-propel yourself through the city to land on a group of things and blow snot on them while delivering one liners.

*reluctantly uncovering a jar labeled BEST FARTS from underneath the floorboards*

"I.. I promised myself I would never succumb to using these again..."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Binding of Isaac hits all the same grotesque notes I believe

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I would rather play boogerman than binding of isaac though

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Boogerman redone with a Wolfenstein writing. The protagonist who is sick of fighting, the world that isn't anything like he remembers and if he can even do something to change it back, all played extremely seriously.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I would rather play boogerman than binding of isaac though

Isaac owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want Air Fortress to make a comeback.

Mix it with the metroid series or something. Idk. I'm not sure if there are ever any other games out there that did what Air Fortress did.

Unrelated, is Nioh a console exclusive game or is it multiconsole or what?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its on ps4 and pc (maybe xbox1?)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nioh is on PS4 and PC

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Unrelated, is Nioh a console exclusive game or is it multiconsole or what?

Nioh is on PS4 and PC. The PC version came later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MMF Freeway posted:

good troll idea: get the chat thread to write 1 million words about game you got then decide to not play it

Almost the equal of coming to the thread, asking a question that gets a long, thoughtful reply that took a while to write, and then never ever posting in the thread ever again

at least say thanks, random drive by posters!!!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I know I've posted this before and I wish I had more unique clips, but I think this is a good thread for gameplay snippets and we're talking about Nioh, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

Not very impressive since it's only on NG difficulty, but you can get an idea of what a late-game build plays like when dueling against two people. I relied on debuffs on big targets for the second half of the game; their experience commitment was low and being able to make someone slow and weak for a few seconds was a huge benefit. I bought the season pass but never dipped into any of the content; my save is at the beginning of NG+ and I a) forgot the nuances of the controls and b) die to everything in a few hits. It's like learning the game over, from scratch! I'd like to mess around with the new weapon types but I couldn't find any when I went back in; maybe I could buy some from the store? I'll have to take another look.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nioh was the first game where I kept a progress log.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Never forget there was going to be a gritty first person reboot trilogy of Megaman X where in the final game X would go insane with power due to all the abilities he had acquired and you'd play as Zero who had to kill him.

Also there were Doom 2016 style finishers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nioh was the first game where I kept a progress log.

I love the 200 death count jump at Tachibana.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GUI posted:

Never forget there was going to be a gritty first person reboot trilogy of Megaman X where in the final game X would go insane with power due to all the abilities he had acquired and you'd play as Zero who had to kill him.

Also there were Doom 2016 style finishers.

wasn't that kind of the plot of the megaman zero games on the gba

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I finally decided to pay for the stupid remaster of dark souls. charging money for a patch to make networking not be broken is cool and rad.

Anyway I can finally see phantoms and messages, and the game doesn't lag constantly, so maybe I'll get further this time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Are those alpha/beta/last chance trial bonuses for Nioh tied to your account or...?

Kinda just want to restart my file, I played those prerelease versions so much that by the time it came out I was tired of that first area, but also it's been so long that I'd want to start there again because I don't remember what things I had done. Coming out between Berseria and Breath of the Wild didn't help.

Cowcaster posted:

wasn't that kind of the plot of the megaman zero games on the gba

Not really, the zero games were about copies of x and zero. The originals were there, but you played the copy versus a copy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Phantasium posted:

Are those alpha/beta/last chance trial bonuses for Nioh tied to your account or...?

Kinda just want to restart my file, I played those prerelease versions so much that by the time it came out I was tired of that first area, but also it's been so long that I'd want to start there again because I don't remember what things I had done. Coming out between Berseria and Breath of the Wild didn't help.

I'd imagine that they are tied to your account. You can have multiple save files, so you don't need to wipe anything out. I don't recall the pre-release stuff being that game-changing, just some minor stuff to help you through the first stage or two. Maybe a unique helmet?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got a valve helmet kind of like the valve accessory in nier when i made it past the tutorial last night but i think that's it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'd imagine that they are tied to your account. You can have multiple save files, so you don't need to wipe anything out. I don't recall the pre-release stuff being that game-changing, just some minor stuff to help you through the first stage or two. Maybe a unique helmet?

I know they're no big deal but I played a shitload of those versions and I want my drat helmet(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I finally decided to pay for the stupid remaster of dark souls. charging money for a patch to make networking not be broken is cool and rad.

Anyway I can finally see phantoms and messages, and the game doesn't lag constantly, so maybe I'll get further this time

that remaster on PC is pretty criminal but hell I'm part of the problem since i bought it day 1 anyway.