Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

The whole point of his character was that he was an out-of-touch actor who was so full of himself that he didn't realize how offensive it was. He also nailed it.

The movie shows the motivations behind it and how absurd it is so it's no surprise that nobody got offended.
I think what a lot of people are worried about is attitudes shifting to a point where you can't do characters like him anymore. Cause as you say, it's a well-realized character, and they couldn't have realized him as well if the studios had preemptively nixed the blackface out of concern they'd get slaughtered on social media just for the announcement.

Tropic Thunder is from 2008. That's a long time ago in terms of public communication. Imagine a studio comes out, today, goes "we're making this comedy movie, it's got Robert Downey Jr. in it, and, uh, here's first pictures...": are people on Twitter going to look at Robert Downey Jr. in blackface and patiently wait to see the movie and get the background on things?

Or anyway: it's not like blackface was still cool in '08. They bucked a convention doing it in Tropic Thunder in '08 and that's what comedy and art have to be able to do to. You can still call them out if they fail. Years down the line, even; if they'd done Downey's character in Tropic Thunder slightly differently we'd all be sitting here going "remember Tropic Thunder, what a racist embarrassment that was" roughly the way we remember Ace Ventura.

e: gently caress me if I'd known I was gonna carry this stuff over to a new page I'd not have bucked the historically proven as wise convention of keeping my mouth shut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Depends on how you pitch it. Kind of the whole point of Tropic Thunder is that it's about an incredibly ill-advised movie production that goes even more horribly wrong, with situations and characters that combine a lot of infamous Hollywood disasters and people, exaggerated for comic effect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9NDCgkybA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, Downey in blackface in Tropic Thunder works because his character Kirk Lazarus is the butt of the joke. He's not making fun of black people; he's being made fun of because he's such a method actor that he's willing to change his skin tone to be a black man. It's totally ridiculous.

Now that I think of it, I believe this was Ted Danson's thinking when he showed up in blackface for the Friar's Club roast of his then-girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg. The trick is that Danson played it totally straight, which makes sense in the context of the roast. I believe even Whoopi thought it was funny. Unfortunately the pic came out & without people understanding how roasts work, Danson was raked over the coals.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think it also works because you have Brandon T. Jackson (as Alpa Chino) to literally commentate on his blackface. With the double layer that Alpa Chino is somewhat playing a role/stereotype himself in order to sell records and sponsorships.

Alpa Chino : And why am I in this movie? Maybe it's because I just knew I had to represent, because they had one good part in here for a black man and they gave it to Crocodile Dundee!
Kirk Lazarus : Pump your brakes, kid. That man's a national treasure.
Alpa Chino : I just wanted to thrown another shrimp on your barbie!
Kirk Lazarus : That poo poo ain't funny.
Kevin Sandusky : Hey, fellas... it's hot! We're tired! It stinks!
Alpa Chino : I ain't fuckin' with you, Kangaroo Jack. I'm sorry the dingo ate your baby!
Kirk Lazarus : You know that's a true story? Lady lost a kid. You're about to cross some fuckin' lines.
Kevin Sandusky : Guys, relax!
Alpa Chino : You know what? gently caress that, man! I'm sick of this koala-huntin' nigga tellin' me-
[is cut off as Lazarus slaps him; goes to punch back]
Kirk Lazarus : [blocking the punch and pulling Alpa into an embrace] For four hundred years, that word has kept us down.
Alpa Chino : What the gently caress?
Kirk Lazarus : Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby...
Alpa Chino : [pulling away] That's the theme song to The Jeffersons. Man, you really need help.
Kirk Lazarus : Just because it's a theme song don't mean it's not true.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Feb 5, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm still pretty uncomfortable with whatever Tom Cruise is doing in that movie. Apparently a lot of people thought it was funny?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm still pretty uncomfortable with whatever Tom Cruise is doing in that movie. Apparently a lot of people thought it was funny?

Playing a coked to the gills movie exec with anger issues? It was pretty fantastic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it also works because you have Brandon T. Jackson (as Alpa Chino) to literally commentate on his blackface. With the double layer that Alpa Chino is somewhat playing a role/stereotype himself in order to sell records and sponsorships.

Alpa Chino : And why am I in this movie? Maybe it's because I just knew I had to represent, because they had one good part in here for a black man and they gave it to Crocodile Dundee!
Kirk Lazarus : Pump your brakes, kid. That man's a national treasure.
Alpa Chino : I just wanted to thrown another shrimp on your barbie!
Kirk Lazarus : That poo poo ain't funny.
Kevin Sandusky : Hey, fellas... it's hot! We're tired! It stinks!
Alpa Chino : I ain't fuckin' with you, Kangaroo Jack. I'm sorry the dingo ate your baby!
Kirk Lazarus : You know that's a true story? Lady lost a kid. You're about to cross some fuckin' lines.
Kevin Sandusky : Guys, relax!
Alpa Chino : You know what? gently caress that, man! I'm sick of this koala-huntin' nigga tellin' me-
[is cut off as Lazarus slaps him; goes to punch back]
Kirk Lazarus : [blocking the punch and pulling Alpa into an embrace] For four hundred years, that word has kept us down.
Alpa Chino : What the gently caress?
Kirk Lazarus : Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby...
Alpa Chino : [pulling away] That's the theme song to The Jeffersons. Man, you really need help.
Kirk Lazarus : Just because it's a theme song don't mean it's not true.

Kirk: What do you mean, "you people"?!
Alpa: ... what do you mean, "you people"?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Playing a coked to the gills movie exec with anger issues? It was pretty fantastic.

It was really bad. Cringeworthy.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

RCarr posted:

It was really bad. Cringeworthy.

Yeah, I'm with Lincoln. Y'all some sensitive-rear end non-gender-specific, sexual-orientation neutral bitches.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Tom Cruise dancing to Flo Rida in a fat suit is funny.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah, I'm with Lincoln. Y'all some sensitive-rear end non-gender-specific, sexual-orientation neutral bitches.

Tom Cruise's character in that movie doesn't really have anything to do with concerns about political correctness, it's just a weird joke that goes on too long.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Comedy is funnier now than it's ever been, Mel Brooks' brain has just calcified from age and he can't come up with new material. When somebody tells you the poo poo you're saying isn't funny anymore, you don't go whining to the news media, you SAY SOME DIFFERENT poo poo

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Tom Cruise's character in that movie doesn't really have anything to do with concerns about political correctness, it's just a weird joke that goes on too long.

Oh, ok well that's whatevs, different strokes for different folks. I thought people were getting pisyy over like a fat acceptance thing, or maybe because his character was a racial stereotype, I dunno. I just thought Tom Cruise in a fat suit was funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RandomFerret posted:

Comedy is funnier now than it's ever been, Mel Brooks' brain has just calcified from age and he can't come up with new material. When somebody tells you the poo poo you're saying isn't funny anymore, you don't go whining to the news media, you SAY SOME DIFFERENT poo poo

Yeah, this. There's still a ton of funny poo poo out there that isn't in the least problematic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My issue with Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder is just that I think playing a Jewish stereotype character(albeit a fairly specific one) is rich coming from him, a guy who has done some pretty shady things in the name of his own religion.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Straight White Shark posted:

Didnt he talk about carpet bombing an Asian kid?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Decrepus posted:

Jesus christ, really? He thinks he's talking to a rival film producer and using hyperbole, when in fact he's talking to a drug lord who is threatening to murder a hostage. But yes, the drug lord is an Asian child, you obviously zeroed in on the crux of that scene.

Edit: You know what now that I think of it, Cruise never even talks to the kid, hes talking to the henchman the whole time. So yeah, you're just looking for dumb poo poo to be offended about. Are you a pre-teen Asian drug lord, is the scene too real for you?

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Feb 5, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

I remember when I first joined this site, or thereabouts, they put a banner ad on the front page for the Spaceball animated series. It looked so incredibly bad.

The whole thing is apparently on Youtube now that I look, but I won't do that to anyone. Instead, behold what I assume is the opening song (I won't click it to watch it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pezanr9bH0U

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RandomFerret posted:

It's always the fucks howling about political correctness and people being too sensitive who are the biggest most delicate snowflakes

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Decrepus posted:

He told flaming dragon to gently caress his own face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Les Grossman is just Harvey Weinstein.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

IUG posted:

I remember when I first joined this site, or thereabouts, they put a banner ad on the front page for the Spaceball animated series. It looked so incredibly bad.

To be fair, this site also shilled Whitest Kids U' Know pretty hard, which somehow lasted...five loving years?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Jesus christ, really? He thinks he's talking to a rival film producer and using hyperbole, when in fact he's talking to a drug lord who is threatening to murder a hostage. But yes, the drug lord is an Asian child, you obviously zeroed in on the crux of that scene.

Edit: You know what now that I think of it, Cruise never even talks to the kid, hes talking to the henchman the whole time. So yeah, you're just looking for dumb poo poo to be offended about. Are you a pre-teen Asian drug lord, is the scene too real for you?

The guy who's listening to Tom Cruise's rant on the phone's "what the gently caress" face is great in that scene

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I liked it when Tom Cruise thrusted his groin. Tom Cruise is pretty great, for a crazy man.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this. There's still a ton of funny poo poo out there that isn't in the least problematic.

Like what

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

What's on second.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I am actually not offended at all about this you dumb spaz.

:laffo:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tom Cruise the actor owns but Tom Cruise the religious zealot is very bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piDRKOwh88

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

:chloe:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Android Apocalypse posted:

Now that I think of it, I believe this was Ted Danson's thinking when he showed up in blackface for the Friar's Club roast of his then-girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg. The trick is that Danson played it totally straight, which makes sense in the context of the roast. I believe even Whoopi thought it was funny. Unfortunately the pic came out & without people understanding how roasts work, Danson was raked over the coals.

Hey i looked up the dates on this and whoopi made him do it, she has a museum of racist advertisement, she thinks this kind of thing is hilarious, she talked him into doing it, and the fallout was apocalyptic and they broke up a month later.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aphrodite posted:

Les Grossman is just Harvey Weinstein.

That's the joke, right? Weinstein is a gross man, in both senses of the word?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

mng posted:

Tom Cruise is pretty great, for a crazy man.

The dichotomy of the Cruise. His films are almost always amazing, but he's a total nutbag. The man works hard at his job, but then I guess he can given that he's a level 10 mind-control immortal who can fly or whatever the hell it is you become when you hit Xenu-con 1.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The weird thing is that Ben Stiller can write well, even outside his comfort zone he produces some good stuff. But for some reason he always sort of reverts to the mid-late 90's milieu because he's more comfortable there. The actors themselves were the funniest part of Tropic Thunder. A lesser cast would have seen a pretty forgettable movie, imo.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

phasmid posted:

I never read Ender's Game and I was never inclined to, having read the guy's other stuff. Now there is a man who makes his politics very apparent, in and out of his work.

his politics arent front and center in the first two ender's games. The second ender's book speaker of the dead is about how ender has a ptsd thing about the reveal in the end of the first book and works so hard to undo what he did. The first one is about how politics can be easily manipulated by the rich. its standard and formuliac now but it was sort of one of the first ya dystopian future books. I think it was ender's and the one where they see in black and white that were the first ones to lay down that forumula.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You mean The Giver? That movie was forgettable but I maintain the set design was loving stellar and Jeff Bridges is always fun to see.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

snergle posted:

his politics arent front and center in the first two ender's games. The second ender's book speaker of the dead is about how ender has a ptsd thing about the reveal in the end of the first book and works so hard to undo what he did. The first one is about how politics can be easily manipulated by the rich. its standard and formuliac now but it was sort of one of the first ya dystopian future books. I think it was ender's and the one where they see in black and white that were the first ones to lay down that forumula.

The Giver? That book blew my mind when I was 10.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

phasmid posted:

The weird thing is that Ben Stiller can write well, even outside his comfort zone he produces some good stuff. But for some reason he always sort of reverts to the mid-late 90's milieu because he's more comfortable there. The actors themselves were the funniest part of Tropic Thunder. A lesser cast would have seen a pretty forgettable movie, imo.

I always thought Stiller was the weakest part of Tropic Thunder. Everybody in the cast was basically playing the type of character they'd actually be cast as. Stiller casting himself as a macho action hero was a misstep.

https://twitter.com/FilmEasterEggs/status/1092934663188897792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cruise was supposed to play the lead and Stiller the McConaughey agent role.

Then when Stiller decided to play the lead himself, Cruise asked to play Grossman because he still wanted to be in the movie and apparently that whole character was his idea.