Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's rad as hell :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

The mention of Kawasaki, along with $1 beers, prompted a question of probable faulty premises: why was it American motorcycle companies seemed to almost exclusively produce motorcycles, while bikes in other countries were made by larger industrial firms like Suzuki, BMW, Honda, etc? I vaguely recall Daimler/MB did as well? But there’s also non-American counter examples like Triumph and maybe the Italian companies as well? And I’m even more ignorant when it comes to the Soviet front; and maybe Harley and Indian actually were building tanks; and, in conclusion, please use my rambling and ignorant questions as an opportunity to post cool and informative poo poo.

So in the post war period in the US, you kinda see a boom and backlash against motorcycles pretty quickly. During the war Harley Davidson and Indian crank out motorcycles for the US and Canadian forces. And they can keep up with demand. So the Army isn't really pushing for Ford and other car companies to start producing motorcycles. And right after the war, most of the US Army's motorcycles are declared surplus and sold cheaply. This is a pretty big boom for the motorcycle community at first. Tons of super cheap motorcycles that are begging to be customized and built on a platform that is pretty solid and easy to fix. A golden age of motorcycling in the US is about to dawn. Except that a fair number of the new people joining are veterans who are having issues readjusting to civilian life and other issues.

The American Motorcycle Association holds what they call Gypsy Tours. Basically motorcycle festivals with races, rallies, and hanging out. And in 1947, they restart them in Hollister California. The first problem is that they are expecting just under a thousand people. Instead four thousand people show up. And Hollister is just not remotely set up to handle that many people. And it becomes a bit more festive than other Gypsy Tour events. Getting to Mardi Gras level of partying with seven cops to try to keep an eye on 4,000 people. It goes like you'd expect. People drunk in the street and all that goes with it. Dudes riding up and down the road hooting and hollering. Some fights but only three serious injuries. Not fun for the locals but well below what we'd expect from the name the press gives to it. The Hollister Riot. Life publishes this staged photo:

And public perception immediately becomes that motorcyclists in the US are all bad dudes who are riding into idyllic towns like a horde of modern barbarians. So the AMA puts out a statement saying that 99% of bikers are perfectly law abiding people. And the ones who aren't seize on the idea of being the 1% who aren't. Thus the idea of the 1%er is born and becomes adopted by more than a few motorcycle clubs. Those groups lean into the stereotype that is forming, and combined with films like The Wild One, the popular perception is that motorcycles are for criminals. So Ford, Chrysler, and every other car company isn't going to touch motorcycles. Sure, Chrysler will make some fine air conditioners in the post war period but won't touch motorcycles.

There are a bunch of economic issues that this doesn't touch on but are fairly important factors that others can cover in better depth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

...is that a chinstrap?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

bewbies posted:

loving weird his dad fought in the mexican war and the civil war

I couldn't help but googling this guy and when Simon Bolivar Jr. Was dying on Iwo Jima Simon Bolivar III was graduating from West Point. Doesn't look like Simon Bolivar Buckner IV chose to go the military career route however.

I also found Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr.'s Mint Julep recipe:

quote:

March 30, 1937
My dear General Connor,

Your letter requesting my formula for mixing mint juleps leaves me in the same position in which Captain Barber found himself when asked how he was able to carve the image of an elephant from a block of wood. He replied that it was a simple process consisting merely of whittling off the part that didn't look like an elephant.

The preparation of the quintessence of gentlemanly beverages can be described only in like terms. A mint julep is not the product of a FORMULA. It is a CEREMONY and must be performed by a gentleman possessing a true sense of the artistic, a deep reverence for the ingredients and a proper appreciation of the occasion. It is a rite that must not be entrusted to a novice, a statistician, nor a Yankee. It is a heritage of the old South, an emblem of hospitality and a vehicle in which noble minds can travel together upon the flower-strewn paths of happy and congenial thought.

So far as the mere mechanics of the operation are concerned, the procedure, stripped of its ceremonial embellishments, can be described as follows:

Go to a spring where cool, crystal-clear water bubbles from under a bank of dew-washed ferns. In a consecrated vessel, dip up a little water at the source. Follow the stream through its banks of green moss and wildflowers until it broadens and trickles through beds of mint growing in aromatic profusion and waving softly in the summer breezes. Gather the sweetest and tenderest shoots and gently carry them home. Go to the sideboard and select a decanter of Kentucky Bourbon, distilled by a master hand, mellowed with age yet still vigorous and inspiring. An ancestral sugar bowl, a row of silver goblets, some spoons and some ice and you are ready to start.

In a canvas bag, pound twice as much ice as you think you will need. Make it fine as snow, keep it dry and do not allow it to degenerate into slush.

In each goblet, put a slightly heaping teaspoonful of granulated sugar, barely cover this with spring water and slightly bruise one mint leaf into this, leaving the spoon in the goblet. Then pour elixir from the decanter until the goblets are about one-fourth full. Fill the goblets with snowy ice, sprinkling in a small amount of sugar as you fill. Wipe the outsides of the goblets dry and embellish copiously with mint.

Then comes the important and delicate operation of frosting. By proper manipulation of the spoon, the ingredients are circulated and blended until Nature, wishing to take a further hand and add another of its beautiful phenomena, encrusts the whole in a glittering coat of white frost. Thus harmoniously blended by the deft touches of a skilled hand, you have a beverage eminently appropriate for honorable men and beautiful women.

When all is ready, assemble your guests on the porch or in the garden, where the aroma of the juleps will rise Heavenward and make the birds sing. Propose a worthy toast, raise the goblet to your lips, bury your nose in the mint, inhale a deep breath of its fragrance and sip the nectar of the gods.

Being overcome by thirst, I can write no further.

Sincerely,
S.B. Buckner, Jr.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

...is that a chinstrap?

I think that's just the crease of a fat dude's neck. Unless you were thinking the chin strap is somewhere else.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Thomamelas posted:

So the AMA puts out a statement saying that 99% of bikers are perfectly law abiding people.

I thought that was a rumour and the AMA had said they have no record of ever saying such a thing?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

I thought that was a rumour and the AMA had said they have no record of ever saying such a thing?

It's entirely possible. I don't really have any materials handy and that was from memory.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Thomamelas posted:

I think that's just the crease of a fat dude's neck. Unless you were thinking the chin strap is somewhere else.

Guy in the background

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Guy in the background

Ah, yeah. That guy does have a chin strap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
perhaps they realized that motorcycles are idiotmobiles for dumbasses

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

counterpoint: motorcycles are rad

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

For your dudes, taking cover and waiting for someone else to fix your problem doesn't work and is kinda cowardly. By the forties, that seems to become an important part of American tactics.
within certain parameters there's not much "someone else" can do. If communication breaks down, which it often does, a battalion should be able to fight on its own until it's reestablished.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The 1ID(the most experienced US infantry division in the ETO) was considered to be a mess in terms of discipline. I've heard that the UK 7AD was similar but i've also heard that it had problems with its leadership at Normandy.

I think the weirdest thing about the 1ID is how they ended up with a lower casualty rate than some of the divisions that were only fighting from D-day onwards. How does that even happen?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alchenar posted:

I recall this from one of Max Hasting's Normandy/post-Normandy books - around 6 months experience was apparently 'peak veterancy' for a unit, after which the benefit of experience starts to get overwhelmed by the feeling that the law of averages is going to catch up with you.
In addition to the attitude toward violence, I wonder if the difference is because 17th century weapons were really not that great a lot of the time

Also there are fewer battles. Casualty rates in a battle are horrifically high, but if you never get into one it's all just maneuver and tiny groups of cav riding around in the woods

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

This is pretty much spot on for everyone who has fought a war ever. The US army also now has mountains of data about how this works across multiple deployments, which is pretty fascinating. Some tidbits off the top of my head:

- Soldiers on their second deployment are usually significantly less efficient for the first 6 to 8 weeks. The likely cause for this is some mix of "the way my old unit did things was better" and "I'm a pro, I know all this poo poo already"

- Second deployment soldiers, once they adapt to their new situation, are typically the most efficient of all soldiers until they hit short-timer status

- Third deployment soldiers usually start at peak efficiency, but it erodes very quickly about halfway through the deployment. This is the model everyone follows for all future deployments.

- The probability of criminal action or some other serious malfeasance increases with subsequent deployments. It is almost a straight line increase in probability based on total time you've spent deployed.

- Latter deployments (especially 3rd+) are heavily financially motivated. A lot of these guys were volunteers of sorts, and most were senior NCOs or officers by this point, and so had a huge financial incentive to deploy.

- PTSD probability is unchanged between multiple deployments, provided you adjust for the greater chances of something bad happening.

Anyway if anyone wants to operationalize all this and tell the army what to do about it that'd be great.
what thalantos identified as #4 doesn't appear to exist during the 30yw, although I wouldn't be surprised to find it in a report from the late 40s or the early 50s. (Interesting thing about the Saxon army: strength fluctuates all through the 40s until the war ends, then it rises and remains absolutely constant until the troops are mustered out. Nobody deserts while they're waiting for all that back pay! perfect attendance!)

Financial motivation is higher on the list (or people feel less shame admitting this). The veterancy-criminality graph is really interesting to me because this fits in with anecdotal evidence from the sack of Magdeburg, where one guy reported that the young soldiers were much less likely to do awful things. But in the context of 17th century archival research I'm not sure how to track that with statistical rigor

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

I've heard Ambrose described as "history as seen through the eyes of an adoring child sitting on grandpa's couch."

"Tell me what you did in the war, granddad?"
so i have a choice between "narrowly missed korea, was gay in japan" and "italian navy"

greeeeeat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

The latter sounds like an impossible nightmare for a statistician. Outside of one's deployments, we're talking about the entire rest of the person's life - which could last 70 years after the last deployment, or the person might die in a traffic accident on the first day as a civilian. Not to mention the number of different jurisdictions you'd need to query to know how many indictments the person has got outside military. So probably the former.
it's not impossible though, and the idea of how to do it intrigues me

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

HEY GUNS posted:

so i have a choice between "narrowly missed korea, was gay in japan" and "italian navy"

greeeeeat

I was going to say the first at least would be really interesting, but then I thought about either of my grandfathers telling me about their sexual exploits, of any type at any place at any time, and immediately recoiled.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvilMerlin posted:

About half a million American Jews served in WW2.

16 million Americans served during the whole war. This included both TO's and home units (like WASPs etc).

So yeah chances are you did have a Jewish soldier/airman/Marine in your unit...

PS: read up on Maurice Rose, not only a Jewish soldier, but also the highest ranking American killed in the line of duty.
because of antisemitic allegations that jews do not fight, this has been studied for many years (since ww1 Germany in fact). Statistically there are slightly more Jews in the army than their percentage in the general population. They fight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

being in the Regia Marina beat the gently caress out of being in the Regia Esercito

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

It's the 40's and 50's. The cars of the period aren't safer. The regulations that require collapsible steering columns don't happen till the late 60's. Volvo doesn't start using the three point seat belt till 59 and it takes a few years till you see wide adoption on them. You don't see disc brakes as a mainstream thing until the 60's in the US. Hell, even radial tires aren't a mainstream thing in the US until 70's. I mean I loving love old cars. But gently caress they were horrifyingly unsafe.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I was going to say the first at least would be really interesting, but then I thought about either of my grandfathers telling me about their sexual exploits, of any type at any place at any time, and immediately recoiled.
statistically speaking our parents and grandparents had way more sex outside of marriage than our generation does

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

within certain parameters there's not much "someone else" can do. If communication breaks down, which it often does, a battalion should be able to fight on its own until it's reestablished.
Yeah, exactly. Compare that to the joke about identifying enemies by shooting at them and seeing what they shoot back; If it's quiet for five minutes and then you explode in an artillery barrage, it was Americans. I think in a context with reasonably reliable radios and messengers with proper motor vehicles, experience would teach infantry officers to take their time and wait for the tank destroyers.

Edit:

HEY GUNS posted:

In addition to the attitude toward violence, I wonder if the difference is because 17th century weapons were really not that great a lot of the time

Also there are fewer battles. Casualty rates in a battle are horrifically high, but if you never get into one it's all just maneuver and tiny groups of cav riding around in the woods
This also makes a lot of sense.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

...is that a chinstrap?

That's Logan showing he really doesn't age.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

Pussy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Good name/av/post combo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also most of these guys are queer in some way. this aesthetic is where the leather aesthetic/subculture comes from

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

"narrowly missed korea, was gay in japan"

New thread title?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Alchenar posted:

I recall this from one of Max Hasting's Normandy/post-Normandy books - around 6 months experience was apparently 'peak veterancy' for a unit, after which the benefit of experience starts to get overwhelmed by the feeling that the law of averages is going to catch up with you.

This was generally true of individuals on one-year tours in Vietnam. Early on you're the FNG, after a few months you're competent, when you're close to a year you're "short" and just looking to get out.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

This also makes a lot of sense.
Also if you want to leave there's nothing anyone can do to stop you. Some people leave and then come back. You probably feel less trapped in a situation like that.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

also most of these guys are queer in some way. this aesthetic is where the leather aesthetic/subculture comes from

Yeah, you get a fair amount of overlap. One of the longest running gay organizations in the US is the Satyrs MC. They date back to the mid 50's or so. And you definitely get a lot of fluidity there. Outlaw biker culture would make a lot of anti-homosexual noises but engage in kissing and acts of grab rear end that look pretty homoerotic to me as a bi dude. The Outlaw biker groups tended to draw from a bunch of people who just don't fit into the 50's.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
More mildly interesting org behavior stuff with regards to the short timer phase: it is basically a classic prisoner's dilemma, but on a big scale. Like, if you're not taking any risks individually, you might be safer, but if your entire unit starts doing it, suddenly everyone is much. much less safe. This issue then gets folded into the "deploy as a unit" versus "individual augmentation" as a manpower strategy.

The army's approach in GWOT was all "deploy as unit" but to encourage commanders to pull back units at the end of their shifts as much as possible, which is probably the best compromise all things considered. I have no idea how this learning might be applied to a proper hotwar situation though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

More mildly interesting org behavior stuff with regards to the short timer phase: it is basically a classic prisoner's dilemma, but on a big scale. Like, if you're not taking any risks individually, you might be safer, but if your entire unit starts doing it, suddenly everyone is much. much less safe.

C.f., the entire US military in Vietnam 1971-72.

edit: Firebase Mary Ann is a great example.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cessna posted:

This was generally true of individuals on one-year tours in Vietnam. Early on you're the FNG, after a few months you're competent, when you're close to a year you're "short" and just looking to get out.

One of the more common arm chair general Vietnam Lost Cause arguments I’ve heard is that the whole 12/13 month tours in country prevented unit cohesion and combat effectiveness. The whole “we didn’t fight one 8 year war we fought 8 one year wars” thing.

Doesn’t that argument completely fall apart if you put more than 2 seconds worth of thought into it? How the gently caress do you give an army an indefinite deployment in a counter insurgency war without everything absolutely falling apart after 2 years at most as the whole army mutinies?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How the gently caress do you give an army an indefinite deployment in a counter insurgency war without everything absolutely falling apart after 2 years at most as the whole army mutinies?

By rotating units, not individuals, like the US does today.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cessna posted:

By rotating units, not individuals, like the US does today.

I’ve heard more then one person say that it should have been like in WWII where once deployed the troops shouldn’t come home until the war was won. This argument always involves invading the North of course because that would have been genius.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve heard more then one person say that it should have been like in WWII where once deployed the troops shouldn’t come home until the war was won.

I'm guessing that one person wasn't volunteering to do that themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve heard more then one person say that it should have been like in WWII where once deployed the troops shouldn’t come home until the war was won. This argument always involves invading the North of course because that would have been genius.

I guess I never realized that was how it's done. Were dudes who were enlisted in like 1940 bound by that as well?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

I guess I never realized that was how it's done. Were dudes who were enlisted in like 1940 bound by that as well?

The term used was "for the duration."

And they didn't just throw down their rifle and leave the second the Germans/Japanese surrendered. There was a system (which wasn't especially fair) of "points" called the "Adjusted Service Rating Score" that was supposed to send longer-service troops/troops who had been in combat more home first, but didn't always work out that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bewbies posted:

I have no idea how this learning might be applied to a proper hotwar situation though.

some kind of sector based rotation like was used in WWI on the Western Front?

depends on how long the hotwar is, i think - most modern WWIII novels are weeks or months in timescale, at which point do you really have the opportunity to rotate troops? of course, all the pre-WWI invasion novels and poo poo were weeks or months in timescale and look where that got