Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

why hasnt northern island backed out of the brexit anyway. my only knowledge of the troubles comes from that jackie chan movie. is religion involved

North Ireland can't survive as a nation on its own and would need to reunify with the Republic of Ireland. There's a ton of differences and yeah, the Protestant/Catholic divide is still really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Super No Vacancy posted:

why hasnt northern island backed out of the brexit anyway. my only knowledge of the troubles comes from that jackie chan movie. is religion involved

because they’re part of a larger country that’s determined to blow its foot off

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It's like 98% religion, yes
its really much more about ethnicity and such, religion’s just a convenient proxy for most people

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Super No Vacancy posted:

“I don’t want any Troubles”

- Jackie Chan

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I sent a PM to Hulkamatt, but the Nigel McGuiness episode of the Monumental Podcast might be my favorite ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That was my favorite ever because it somehow led to Erick Stevens agreeing to do the show.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1092088454937219074

I had to break this up into two parts because it goes 3+ hours. Part 1 goes through Gabe nearly losing his poo poo on him during the Gang Wars of 07. You might not think Erick Stevens would be a really funny interview, but he is. Great Roderick Strong stories, Gabe stories, his hatred of the Florida indies, burials of everyone who deserves it, doing TNA dark matches, it goes on and on. I can't say enough great things about Erick or thank him enough for doing this.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

We started recording around 9 and we finish until after Midnight. I think I was smiling ear to ear the whole time. It was such a fun show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That was my favorite ever because it somehow led to Erick Stevens agreeing to do the show.

I had to break this up into two parts because it goes 3+ hours. Part 1 goes through Gabe nearly losing his poo poo on him during the Gang Wars of 07. You might not think Erick Stevens would be a really funny interview, but he is. Great Roderick Strong stories, Gabe stories, his hatred of the Florida indies, burials of everyone who deserves it, doing TNA dark matches, it goes on and on. I can't say enough great things about Erick or thank him enough for doing this.

Erick used to post on DVDVR, and he was funny and nice there, too.

Gonna listen to this, with my earholes.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Super No Vacancy posted:

are you talking about him confusing the invasion angle for a battle royal because seems like a pretty minor mistake
Well, yes and no. At first, watching the clip, I noticed it but didn't think it was a big deal at all to misremember it as a battle royal. But then he uses it as an excuse to go off on the booking for not playing off of an angle that didn't actually happen more directly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh man, Erick was really cool back in the day and I was hoping he'd become a big breakout star for Ring of Honor but then he disappeared. Very excited to learn about him being alive.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

I listened to this today on the way to and from work and it was great. As someone who didn't see a lot of indy wrestling in the 2000s this was very funny and informative.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, between this and being on Omakase this was a nice week of surprise podcasts from you MRT and I'm very happy for you :unsmith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, between this and being on Omakase this was a nice week of surprise podcasts from you MRT and I'm very happy for you :unsmith:

It was a week spent excited about nailing new aerial silk tricks and wondering who Erick Stevens was going to bury.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The end of the latest WOR, Dave goes on a loving amazing derail about just how loving terrible WCW was at its worst. It's incredible.

"We have no choice but to present the worst wrestling in history."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Has Dave mentioned what happened to his son?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He's gaming as we speak

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hate that I knew Bryan was reading off the Mayhem 2000 card and not that Halloween Havoc card.

I love that Bryan seemed to think Halloween was in November.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is the second week in a row in which Dave and Bryan liked Raw significantly more than I did. It's loving with my head.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

jesus WEP posted:

Has Dave mentioned what happened to his son?

Did dave crash his bike into his son?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Dave's son used the family's Twitch Prime sub on Russo's stream, becoming one of his 49 followers

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

:smugjones:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1092880431056388096

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mkay0killsyou/status/1092845868846407690?s=19

I'm not sure how that's a negative given how much post-FB driven media trends have been utterly poo poo and worsened experiences

Did you ever get paid for actually writing Bryan's newsletter

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

exploded mummy posted:

https://twitter.com/mkay0killsyou/status/1092845868846407690?s=19

I'm not sure how that's a negative given how much post-FB driven media trends have been utterly poo poo and worsened experiences

Did you ever get paid for actually writing Bryan's newsletter
I was "lucky" enough to get paid (same as what I was usually getting per-article from VICE when I was writing there regularly), though I always got the impression Bryan was personally responsible for it instead of taking it out of some kind of budget.

Whether the larger issue is them just straight up being cheap, or that they don't consider the free site content to be making them money (even though they run ads and of course it makes more people aware of the subscription site), I have no idea.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

F4W doesn't exactly look like a high dollar operation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no budgets anywhere in that "field." congrats to anyone who has ever seen a dollar from it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wrote a million words, never drew a dime

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
They obviously make money hand over fist and Tony is the third owner of site so things ain't changing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dsriggs posted:

“I don’t want any Troubles”

- Jackie Chan

God I loved that movie.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't post your own tweets bix

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha at the no SEO bullshit like that’s somehow an insult.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ICHIBAHN posted:

He learned it from The Rov!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yall defend some wild poo poo

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Pin Me (on Pinterest) and Pay Me (with an observer sub)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I will not defend this. pay people for their work Dave and Bryan.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the only thing i defend about wrestling journalism is that it is theoretically possible for someone to get a job writing about something else out of it. maybe

No i wouldn't defend that. i read the word defend on here, and i can't get rid of it

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 6, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ICHIBAHN posted:

I only do it to avoid having to use BB code to share the image I tweeted because gently caress BB code.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is bad not to pay writers but it is good not to pay JJWilliamsWON so I am torn.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Let's compromise

Pay writers going forward, get rid of JJ Williams effective immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

was the sack ever compensated