Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New slime isekai
https://mangadex.org/chapter/534396

Good job raising flags all over the place, rimuru.

I got a bit spoiled that something real bad is about to happen so I guess it's time to buckle up

This one is good fun for the most part. Though it's getting a little bit E.T. in recent chapters

Slime Isekai is hands down my favorite. And not just because Ranga and his wolves are best doggos. Which they are you can't argue with this fight me

But also because Rimuru is a fun character and the humor is fantastic.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

New slime isekai
https://mangadex.org/chapter/534396

Good job raising flags all over the place, rimuru.

I got a bit spoiled that something real bad is about to happen so I guess it's time to buckle up

This one is good fun for the most part. Though it's getting a little bit E.T. in recent chapters

When I read the WN years ago I vaguely remember that this was about the part stuff started to get confusing in the way time travel shenanigans always do.

Still a good series, though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bakanogami posted:

When I read the WN years ago I vaguely remember that this was about the part stuff started to get confusing in the way time travel shenanigans always do.

Still a good series, though.

Beyond saying that the author seems to have fixed this issue, I'm not saying anything else and recommend people avoid this spoiler.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

Slime Isekai is hands down my favorite. And not just because Ranga and his wolves are best doggos. Which they are you can't argue with this fight me

But also because Rimuru is a fun character and the humor is fantastic.

Agreed.

The part where he got a kiss on the cheek and Chloe told him she loved him were both cute and funny when he got grumpy about why it couldn't have happened in his previous life

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoy the first four .hack games and SIGN. I played .hack/GU twice and while the gameplay was much better the story just didn't hold up. I'm stuck between a fun story with awful gameplay, and fun gameplay offset by a mediocre story.

I still hold a torch for the franchise somehow.

Also El Hazard and Escaflowne still hold up, and yes I include the El Hazard TV series because I am a monster. I even listen to it dubbed, as Jinnai's VA chomped through every goddamn scene.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i never noticed the incest (over?)tones in legend of the twilight until somebody on these forums pointed them out in the past couple of years

I spent the day reading Feng Qi Cang Lan
(https://mangadex.org/title/20214/feng-qi-cang-lan)
Girl gets transported into a cultivation setting (wuxia?xianxia?) as her VRMMO character. It's pretty generic female power fantasy but like, I enjoyed it well enough. I had a pretty awful day and it got me through it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

it was dryzen, dryzen pointed out the incest.
as punishment he needs to finish his lp

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I enjoy the first four .hack games and SIGN. I played .hack/GU twice and while the gameplay was much better the story just didn't hold up. I'm stuck between a fun story with awful gameplay, and fun gameplay offset by a mediocre story.

I still hold a torch for the franchise somehow.

Also El Hazard and Escaflowne still hold up, and yes I include the El Hazard TV series because I am a monster. I even listen to it dubbed, as Jinnai's VA chomped through every goddamn scene.

I played gu first and going from that to OG .hack was intensely jarring. The original's game play was atrocious, I dropped it halfway through mutation because not even alcohol and friends could get me through that

Also I don't really get why people hold the OG games' story up so highly, in comparison to gu it seemed like less of a focus as well. Past the initial premise and elk being a weird creeper I don't really recall there even being all that much of a story. The emails and forum stuff created a neat sense of mystery and atmosphere but that was pretty much all there was to it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There was something intensely satisfying about being in on every part of the multimedia. It's insanely cool that you could watch an episode of SIGN and go to the same area in one of the games and get rewarded for it, or having a multi-tiered quest designed around finding ghosts of characters from SIGN just wandering around spitting out quotes. I did actually like the gameplay of the original series and it was less of a problem when you were waiting for the next game to release, but in retrospect all the dungeons being made of prefabricated parts and having intensely boring grinds based on farming virus cores (which only get worse as you go on, jumping the first two games which were maybe 15 hours a piece to 20 for vol 3, and 30 for 4) ruins the pacing immensely and the idea of playing all four of them back-to-back sounds excruciating to go back to.

everythingWasBees posted:

i never noticed the incest (over?)tones in legend of the twilight until somebody on these forums pointed them out in the past couple of years

Which version, the manga or the anime? I ask because only the former is canon, the anime went in it's own direction after a point and I don't remember if it makes a difference because I don't remember this stuff but thinking back on it if it was incest-y I wouldn't be surprised.

That's another thing that kinda sucks in retrospect, there was far too much manga stuff that they churned out for that franchise that was just straight up non-canon poo poo with mostly bad quality.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Phantasium posted:

probably important to keep in mind that CyberConnect was originally helping with development of the FFVII remake, which means they were basically held up by that up until they were dropped because Square can't manage a drat thing these days, and almost immediately after the news came out that CC were dropped they announced all this poo poo.

Oh is that what was happening with CC? I thought the long dry spell was just them not really getting much out of the occasional Nartuto game and lackluster .hack spin off and they just saved up to GU Recoded.

Alder posted:

It was the 15th anniversary of .hack and fans had been asking for a remake for awhile. Also, in the perfect timeline CC will be working on a new .hack for the current gen beyond mobage.

Sure, I mean with SAO out and about, a new .hack series of games is primed to make some bank. It's also been long enough for another dumb death of the internet and reforming into something else.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Oh is that what was happening with CC? I thought the long dry spell was just them not really getting much out of the occasional Nartuto game and lackluster .hack spin off and they just saved up to GU Recoded.

I mean it's more just a guess, but considering how long they were attached to that it wouldn't surprise me if productivity would have taken a hit while they were attempting work on that.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Namco Bandai approached them with the remaster first because they've shown interest in reviving a bunch of latent series they have, especially considering they've cornered a bunch of anime games themselves, including SAO which does super well for them and is an obvious comparison.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I still like .hack because it was the first time I'd encountered the concept of a MMO and having internet friends. Like up to the point I never played a game where you interacted with strangers to complete side quests, check the BBS, mail and missions even though it was a fake MMO setting. Also, this was before a ton of isekai series popped out later so it was cool to think that you (Kite) would be involved in saving the virtual world.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its probably the best encapsulation of what was the internet around the late 90s-early 00s, even in a now completely not plausible setting (lol the internet is replaced by an OP run on super linex by the 2010s). You got image boards with art you download, fake chat rooms full of personalities that grow throughout each game (rip buttrice), fake news articles that occur around each event in game. It was annoying when you had to log off the world to check your mail to log back in to progress the story, but it built something that was more natural than other virtual world titles that came before or after .hack.

I can only guess a new .hack would involve game streamers, esports and live chats in a weird faux future NEO The World setting.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 6, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

I guess The Wanderers was alright, just kind of bland. The dub is excellent, though. It's one of the earliest I can think of that actually felt like it had a lot of effort put into the script and voice acting. It even had Steve Blum in one of his first roles.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm, there is an isekai I kinda like that I dunno if you guys will enjoy.

Its called "The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich"

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-experimental-log-of-the-crazy-lich/

Its a chinese isekai where a lawyer was isekaied into an mmo setting that he knows is going to have a huge number of catastrophes; from the rise of the elemental lords, undead invading from other imensions, etc. until the world ends.

The thing is that the story begins with the protag as a 'crazy lich' with a uncooperative and pushy quest system, and a huge amount of baggage from his past that is used and revealed throughout the story as he tries to reincarnate and build up resources to head off these catastrophes. The author liberally uses D&D and World of Warcraft races and gods without

The issue is that there are characters like beifang, who is a ranger into gay bestiality, who is used as the butt of jokes throughout the series, or the male necromancer who turned themself into a lich when the secret shipyard they ran for their kingdom was sealed off when the only person who could open from the outside died... and when the protag offers to reincarnate them into a living body, its revealed the lich wants to be a woman because it is a trans person. This is also used as a joke.

Its a pretty unique story, but there are definitely problematic elements that stand out to me far more than other isekai upon rereading.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Apkallu was my favorite part of gu and I desperately wish "lovely in-universe fanart that you set as your fake desktop background" was a thing more games did

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alder posted:

I still like .hack because it was the first time I'd encountered the concept of a MMO and having internet friends. Like up to the point I never played a game where you interacted with strangers to complete side quests, check the BBS, mail and missions even though it was a fake MMO setting. Also, this was before a ton of isekai series popped out later so it was cool to think that you (Kite) would be involved in saving the virtual world.

Kite is still one of my favorite protagonists just because of who he isn't. Yes, he is a little bland and generic, but I kinda felt that was the point. Aura wanted the assistance of the two craziest players in the game, Skeith mucked that up by taking out Orca, so with nowhere else to turn she passes the bracelet off to a nobody lvl 1 starter kid. Yeah, Kite becomes this legendary figure after his story, but he was a chosen one only because all other options were exhausted. I'm a sucker for that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-04/japan-bookstore-employees-rank-top-manga-of-2018/.142998

According to booksellers in Japan, Slime is the #1 Isekai and Bakarina is at #5. All is right and good in the world now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pharohman777 posted:

Hmm, there is an isekai I kinda like that I dunno if you guys will enjoy.

Its called "The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich"

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-experimental-log-of-the-crazy-lich/

Its a chinese isekai where a lawyer was isekaied into an mmo setting that he knows is going to have a huge number of catastrophes; from the rise of the elemental lords, undead invading from other imensions, etc. until the world ends.

The thing is that the story begins with the protag as a 'crazy lich' with a uncooperative and pushy quest system, and a huge amount of baggage from his past that is used and revealed throughout the story as he tries to reincarnate and build up resources to head off these catastrophes. The author liberally uses D&D and World of Warcraft races and gods without

The issue is that there are characters like beifang, who is a ranger into gay bestiality, who is used as the butt of jokes throughout the series, or the male necromancer who turned themself into a lich when the secret shipyard they ran for their kingdom was sealed off when the only person who could open from the outside died... and when the protag offers to reincarnate them into a living body, its revealed the lich wants to be a woman because it is a trans person. This is also used as a joke.

Its a pretty unique story, but there are definitely problematic elements that stand out to me far more than other isekai upon rereading.

I'm gonna be real, this sounds like a crappy version of Sekai Game

Sekai Game is loving hilarious, by the way

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
sekai game understands that a good cheat ability isn't granted by god before you start your adventure, it's granted by grinding against a wall for hours while a bored nun stares directly into your soul

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

just dropping in to say .hack//sign was extremely good, roots was boring, and everything .hack after g.u. is artistically bankrupt (g.u. itself was borderline, imo)

i tried watching sword art recently; it just seems very shallow?

SAO, throughout the franchise, runs the gamut from in offensively bland to strikingly thoughtful to heinously exploitative to mind-numbingly incompetent. It has no consistency.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd say it kinda qualifies as isekai, as while he does remain in "our world", it completely changes everything and he gets involved in a second, shadow world to ours - The Gamer. It's a successful Korean Webtoon, about a guy who one day finds he has abilities similar to video games. Status menus, exp, leveling, everything like that. But he also discovers he is one of many people on earth part of The Abyss, the shadowy world behind the scenes of our world, where magic and supernatural abilities rule all. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but I'm genuinely impressed with the direction it's gone over time, and somehow hadn't totally worn out the premise. It's little things like people freaking out when he asks them to join his group and an invite window just pops into existence in front of their face or when he is attacked at his house it abruptly turns the fight into a tower defense perspective, because, well, he's the gamer after all. He can grind monsters and they drop literal stacks of neatly sorted cash, that sort of thing. Starts out looking rather rough artwise, but the artist's skill definitely improved over time, and despite his ability being utterly, utterly overpowered, they've somehow managed to keep him relatively in line with other Abyss dwellers, if not outright making him look like a chump.

I enjoy it a lot, it's got some slow bits but it's still good fun most of the time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd say it kinda qualifies as isekai, as while he does remain in "our world", it completely changes everything and he gets involved in a second, shadow world to ours - The Gamer. It's a successful Korean Webtoon, about a guy who one day finds he has abilities similar to video games. Status menus, exp, leveling, everything like that. But he also discovers he is one of many people on earth part of The Abyss, the shadowy world behind the scenes of our world, where magic and supernatural abilities rule all. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but I'm genuinely impressed with the direction it's gone over time, and somehow hadn't totally worn out the premise. It's little things like people freaking out when he asks them to join his group and an invite window just pops into existence in front of their face or when he is attacked at his house it abruptly turns the fight into a tower defense perspective, because, well, he's the gamer after all. He can grind monsters and they drop literal stacks of neatly sorted cash, that sort of thing. Starts out looking rather rough artwise, but the artist's skill definitely improved over time, and despite his ability being utterly, utterly overpowered, they've somehow managed to keep him relatively in line with other Abyss dwellers, if not outright making him look like a chump.

I enjoy it a lot, it's got some slow bits but it's still good fun most of the time.

I remember burning out on the power grind at some point, but I enjoyed what I read of this.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The Gamer has a thread in case anyone was super intrigued by that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh right I meant to also link the thread, sorry.

And yeah he does grind a lot, Korean mmo stereotypes etc, but I find it amusing a lot of the time how he works the systems in his favor a lot of the time. Also how he perpetuates the cycle of making bad decisions by never raising his wisdom stat

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can't believe I forgot this one.

Isekai Death Game
https://mangadex.org/title/23388/isekai-death-game-ni-tensou-sarete-tsurai

A hardworking, but very stern-looking office worker finds himself drawn into a death game. And then completes it in about five minutes.
Then he gets drawn into another one. And another. His once-normal life has become full of demons and reapers and all kinds of wackiness.

Also he introducing amazing modern technology to the world and solves all their problems with his superior japanese mind.

khy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 6, 2019

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-04/japan-bookstore-employees-rank-top-manga-of-2018/.142998

According to booksellers in Japan, Slime is the #1 Isekai and Bakarina is at #5. All is right and good in the world now.

this list also has The Man Picked up by the Gods at #3 which is probably too high for it but it's still a good series. Absurdly buff salaryman dies, gets reborn with the help of some friendly gods, spends years studying slimes alone in the middle of a forest.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dordreff posted:

this list also has The Man Picked up by the Gods at #3 which is probably too high for it but it's still a good series. Absurdly buff salaryman dies, gets reborn with the help of some friendly gods, spends years studying slimes alone in the middle of a forest.

I remember I have that one on my to read list. Not Isekai, but everyone should read Ojisama to Neko and feel.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dordreff posted:

I'm a bit surprised at it being there. I haven't tried the new manga adaptation, but the WN was one of the first isekais I read, and while I enjoyed it well enough I wouldn't exactly rave about it either.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you read it a while ago, it's being rewritten so I'm betting that's the version that's there. I haven't read the first pass though, so I don't know how different they are.

The manga's fun, though the fan translation is a little slow at getting chapters done.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

khy posted:

I can't believe I forgot this one.

Isekai Death Game
https://mangadex.org/title/23388/isekai-death-game-ni-tensou-sarete-tsurai

A hardworking, but very stern-looking office worker finds himself drawn into a death game. And then completes it in about five minutes.
Then he gets drawn into another one. And another. His once-normal life has become full of demons and reapers and all kinds of wackiness.

Also he introducing amazing modern technology to the world and solves all their problems with his superior japanese mind.

I can recognise Mizu Asato's work anywhere. It's his love of deadpan humour. Besides this, he's done some romcoms and they're honestly all pretty hilarious.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Faraway Paladin updated

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just read a bunch; I mostly forgot the titles though:

The glitch isekai: hilarious, I love it.

Honzuki: I'd be remiss if I didn't namedrop it here; nobody's mentioned it outside of the OP but the WN is my fave within the genre of "uses knowledge from earth to improve fantasy world"; in particular her flavor of overpoweredness is such that she still has to go through a lot of hardship to get what she needs, and it goes into sometimes excruciating detail about how she goes about bringing this or that thing from earth to her new home.

The one where he becomes a kid who raises slimes: Very pleasant; the MC is also plenty overpowered but unlike most protagonists he's a very docile fellow and instead of going around fighting monsters he just uses his slime army to help improve people's lives. Not much happens, but it's a relaxing read.

Wins a lottery and just flat out imports futuretech from Japan into fantasy land: Pretty standard fare but I thought this was okay. Nothing I'd super highly recommend, but, well, it's exactly what it says on the tin. I do think that the author thought out some of the details well, like how nutrition works in that world.

Isekai Yakkyoku: There's parts of this I enjoy, but I really hate when the protagonist's cheat code trivializes everything; there's not a lot of room for interesting medical research when your skill just lets you synthesize whatever medicine you need on the spot. Some of the investigation into illnesses is fun, although all things considered I'd prefer to read more Jin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are tons of webnovels about someone doing the isekai thing and using their medical knowledge to prosper. unfortunately, these webnovels are almost all chinese and the medical knowledge is actually tcm gibberish. it's very sad.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are tons of webnovels about someone doing the isekai thing and using their medical knowledge to prosper. unfortunately, these webnovels are almost all chinese and the medical knowledge is actually tcm gibberish. it's very sad.

There's a good pharmacist Isekai I posted a page or two ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

There's a good pharmacist Isekai I posted a page or two ago.

yeah, and that's japanese.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tcm gibberish, to be fair, fits pretty OK in your average fantasy world, would probably work better there than in reality, and is probably easier to implement than actual medicine

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tcm gibberish, to be fair, fits pretty OK in your average fantasy world, would probably work better there than in reality, and is probably easier to implement than actual medicine

Yeah, but Traditional Chinese Medicine is leading to a bunch of species becoming endangered/extinct because idiots thinks snorting up their ground up bones will give them a boner. Isekai encourages this behavior with "rare" (aka endangered) species having special medicinal properties.You can say Isekai is just fantasy, but so is Tradional Chinese Medicine.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

It's a shame that the guy translating Sekai Game is on indefinite hiatus after two volumes. It wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining in a way Reincarnated in a Fantasy World with Special Power #489 isn't. It also seems pretty much unadaptable, so fingers crossed that he comes back to it eventually.

Then again, I was already starting to get bored thanks to the plot just being the same three beats over and over again, so maybe this is for the best

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i need to know if hes gonna marry train girl or what