Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fruity20 posted:

i'm not home yet, but i'm in the middle of doing some preplanning. maybe i might link my comic soon enough.

and question for you comic makers: what fonts do you use? and where did ya get them?

I made my own! The free version of Calligraphr has enough characters included for uppercase/lowercase/basic punctuation.

Failing that, I'd take a poke around Blambot.

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I use Jack Armstrong italic for my comics. As for where I get my fonts, I go where ever I can find what I need.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just use Comic Sans. I mean, “comic” is right in the title!

(please don’t ban me)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

CS might be a bit powerful for a beginner.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Any of Blambot's free dialogue fonts will work nicely. http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue.shtml

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Mine is my handwriting, it comes from me hand

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I've been using Back Issues from Blambot as of late. Blambot in general is a pretty good resource for comic-friendly fonts. The major bit of advice I always give to people looking for a comic lettering font is to make sure you find one with a capital variant of the "I" with crossbars as it looks much nicer when used for the personal pronoun or in acronyms, don't use the crossbar I within actual words, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ive been working on comics since i got this new tablet to practice and i want to ask if everything is conveyed well in this. like you can tell whats happening right?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hihohe posted:

ive been working on comics since i got this new tablet to practice and i want to ask if everything is conveyed well in this. like you can tell whats happening right?
I'll give my first impression per panel; hopefully that helps in some way:

1. Guy #1 (in center) yells at guy #2 (at bottom)
2. Yelling guy #1 gets punched
3. Guy #1 that got punched is enraged and yelling again
4. Guy #1 bites guy #2
5. Now it looks like guy #2 is biting guy #1

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah I was hoping to show a short fight. Guy 2 punches guy 1 stuns him and guy 2 follows up with a neck bite.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah you kinda broke the 180° rule between the second-to-last and last panels so it looks like they switched places. It shouldn't be too hard of a fix if you wanted to keep most of the composition of that panel, though.

E: oh but if it's supposed to be the same guy throwing a punch and then doing the biting then you've jumbled things around too much. Sorry I'm not sure which one it is now :sweatdrop:

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 7, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, I'm reading it as #1 biting, because we've been looking at #1 over #2's shoulder till that panel, so we're 'trained' to that PoV. You'd want a side-on shot, with the 'camera' swinging around the pair if you want that bite shot to work.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Cool! you guys are great.

Also do you guys know about page sizes and such. Like this is my second try of the comic, the first one i used the first couple of page layouts and i thought "hmm perfect" when i was done though and i tried to load it to a browser it was loving HUGE. like gotta scroll three or four times to get to the bottom huge.I went with a straight resolution 800 x 600 on this one. Its alright but when I get close to correct something or do fine details it gets all pixely and garbled.

I know this is probably a dumb rear end question but is there a way to convert it down after I draw it big?

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 7, 2019

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Cool! you guys are great.

Also do you guys know about page sizes and such. Like this is my second try of the comic, the first one i used the first couple of page layouts and i thought "hmm perfect" when i was done though and i tried to load it to a browser it was loving HUGE. like gotta scroll three or four times to get to the bottom huge.I went with a straight resolution 800 x 600 on this one. Its alright but when I get close to correct something or do fine details it gets all pixely and garbled.

I know this is probably a dumb rear end question but is there a way to convert it down after I draw it big?

Sure, export out a .jpg or .png or whatever your final format is, open that file in whatever digital image editor you used to draw your first image, and resize it.

800x600 is pretty tiny overall, especially now that 4K/retina monitors and tablets are a thing. I'd make your original file as big as possible, and resize your flattened outputs based on where you're going to be displaying them. Print files, meaning files for printing in book form, are generally 300 dots per inch (DPI). This means that for each inch of the final printed piece, there are 300 pixels in that dimension. A file designed to be printed on 8.5" x 11" paper would need to be at least 2550 pixels by 3300 pixels to be 300 DPI. For computer monitors or tablets, the dimensions can be a lot lower. My personal advice, if you're looking for advice in terms of page dimensions:

• Even if you don't plan on printing your comic physically now, it's a good idea to tie your file sizes to a common size of physical media - 8.5" x 11", A4, tabloid, or some other easy to find and use standard. It'll save you a lot of resizing issues should you ever decide to print anything.
  • Ideally (provided your computer can handle larger file sizes) try to keep your source files a minimum of twice as large as your final printing size - So for the office paper example above, you'd want your source file to be around 5100 x 6600. Bigger is better, since you can always export a smaller .JPG from your source file but going larger is a problem.
  • Make sure your files are originally in CMYK color, not RGB. If you ever decide to print, having files in CMYK will make that a lot easier.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

:hfive:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I will add it reads okay and might be clearer with color.

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah you kinda broke the 180° rule between the second-to-last and last panels so it looks like they switched places. It shouldn't be too hard of a fix if you wanted to keep most of the composition of that panel, though.

E: oh but if it's supposed to be the same guy throwing a punch and then doing the biting then you've jumbled things around too much. Sorry I'm not sure which one it is now :sweatdrop:

This makes me think, what about a page depicting a fight where the camera is shifting like this deliberately and a lot. huge messa panels.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hihohe posted:

To scale down well:

Draw in a size that's a multiple of your target size. If you're planning to scale down to 800 x 600, do:
1600 x 1200, 2400 x 1800, 3200 x 2400, etc.

Using a good resampling method is also a must. Most drawing programs & photo manipulation programs should allow you to use bicubic interpolation when scaling. This will preserve details better.

Note that even though a large image might make you scroll when you open up the image file in a browser, this is likely not how it will display on a website. Not many websites will show an image at its full pixel size. Even Somethingawful will display images smaller nowadays if they're big. If you post an image here with the normal [img] tag that's say, 7000 pixels wide, it won't show up as 7000 pixels wide unless your screen resolution is high enough to show that without scrolling. Most websites will do this to some extent nowadays because of mobile compatibility.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Your art software ought to let you specify stuff in millimetres and dpi.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone had any success with converting a normal panels on a page type comic into a LINE webtoon?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Fangz posted:

Has anyone had any success with converting a normal panels on a page type comic into a LINE webtoon?

I do the reverse for non mobile comic sites.

though sometimes i might have several pages done then i snitch them together into a concise structure befit for things like tapas and webtoons.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I wonder if you could use something like Calvin & Hobbes' formatting, turned 90 degrees, so you could have a comic that could be resized to different widths...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, anyway...

My new comic is up. :toot:

https://twitter.com/Fang__z/status/1101227472476098560

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I have 5 updates in the pipeline to cover the next 5 weeks. I don't remember the last time I had a significant buffer. I hope I don't blow it and get to April 23rd with nothing ready to go.

Getting back into routinely working on my comic feels good, but I've been looking back at older pages for part of a retrospective I'm doing and it makes me depressed how much better my art used to be at various points and how my skills have deteriorated from years of prolonged hiatuses and disuse

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Will, I wrote like your comic so far.
Not sure if you planned it this way, but the way the verticality plays out on webtoon was pretty satisfying!

Will certainly keep looking in

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
If you publish a comic on webtoons, can you print physical copies to sell as a patron reward, or convention special, or have you lost the rights for that?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

If you publish a comic on webtoons, can you print physical copies to sell as a patron reward, or convention special, or have you lost the rights for that?

It’s your work. They don’t pay you, so it would be disgusting if they also would take your rights away.
It shocks me a little that people somewhat meekly assume companies have the right to do that. I guess we’re getting used to taking poo poo.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my webcomic is owned by the people

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Hi,
I've been making a comic for the nice folks at Waoow comics: https://mocomics.com/platform/product/violent-contact-contacto-violent-episode-1/
It's a neat little platform that has integrated parallax effect for layers. It gives you the ability to make cool transitions between panels to have a more "cinematic" experience.

The problem is, they don't seem to get a lot of traffic, and there are a lot of obstacles a prospective reader would have to get through to read my comics. I've been working very hard on my story and want a lot of people to see it, and maybe with a lot of luck get some money.

I've been looking into platforms like Webtoon and Tapas to get more exposure. What platform would you guys recommend? What do I need to know before choosing a platform (that isn't already in their "how to publish" tutorials)?

The story is about a narcissistic oaf who want to be the strongest martial artist in the world. Really original.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjoLdBulUKT/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i have now been trying to make a webcomic, the same webcomic, for ten years pretty much without pause and have never produced more than 19 sub-standard pages so to any of you out there who have achieved more than me, i salute you

:marc:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
one day i might just start collating the stories of un-begun but deeply loved webcomics and the people who attempted to give birth to them, it would make a good documentary and heartbreaking insight into the human soul

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It would end like the beginning of a fallout game, with the artist walking outside, being blinded by the first daylight they can remember seeing, struggling to adapt to the harsh realities of the world.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i have chosen for myself, the life of an elf

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

nankeen posted:

one day i might just start collating the stories of un-begun but deeply loved webcomics and the people who attempted to give birth to them, it would make a good documentary and heartbreaking insight into the human soul

I would read the poo poo out of this, though I guess I can get the same effect by going through the old ComicGenesis guide

or the links page on any comic site

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
I know this thread hasn't been used much lately, but I could use some webcomic-y advice if anyone can help. This is probably some noob poo poo, but basically, I'm not sure what size my pages should be on my website. My comic is standard US comic size, and as it's set in deep space, I'd really like to make it as large as I can on the screen to emphasize the stark black that takes up much of each image. That said, I don't want be uploading pages that are so big that they take a while to load and disrupt the reading process.

I've been playing with a width of around 800px, but am not super happy with the results. I can't really find any other webcomics that go much bigger though, so am I being mental and pernickety in pursuing my dream of massive comics?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
That’s a good question I’d like to know the answer to as well (it’s been a long rear end time since I thought about making a webcomic). I wouldn’t worry too much about loading times for images though since most modern internet connections can handle even fairly large sizes just fine.

Perhaps a better question: Is there a way to upload a large image and have it display at a custom sizes based on different criteria (phone vs pc, window size, etc). It would be nice to be able to scale up the image size down the road as people’s screens get better without having to update hundreds of individual pages.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How big is the text on your comic?

I go with about 940px in width, 1300 in height.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

How big is the text on your comic?

I go with about 940px in width, 1300 in height.

Ha, I'd say the text is relatively large, but since I lettered it by hand it occasionally flits between sizes. I probably made it slightly too big for fear of it being illegible. 940 is handy though, I shall try that. Thanks very much for replying - I'd started to worry that I was out in the sticks with some wacky, unworkable idea.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I think it all depends on the website or app your comic is viewed on?
The standard comicpress/easel wordpress site doesn't have the option to make pages scalable. Or not as far as I know.
But I have friends who publish on that webtoon app or izneo app in europe, and it's a bigger resolution. But the app adjusts it to your screen size.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
Nah, I just built my own site on Squarespace, which scales to the device being used. I'm not familiar with webtoon or izneo, so will have a look regardless. TBH, the comic looks pretty much like I want it to wherever I test it, it's just that I have had to scale the pages to pretty ridiculous sizes to get it to that point on my desktop monitor and I'm not really sure why that is. I could reduce them obvs, but I like the idea of making the largeness of it (as webcomics go) a feature rather than a bug. It's all a bit new to me, so I'm probably just being a worrywart owing to lack of experience. Thanks for chipping in, tho!

sammyv fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I was contacted by a Lezhin rep asking to license some of our comics. Has anyone here worked with them? How was the experience?