Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

joe mccarthy was a cousin of his i believe, but "cousin joe" went too far in herbert's view. too big government.

What is this gobbledygook post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's this entire granola conservative archetype you don't really find off the West Coast but it's absolutely a thing. It sounds like Herbert was one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Described as having hair like the karakul sheep, I'm comfortable saying Duncan was at least swarthy.

Oh, qaraqul! So if the Harkonnen are Russian maybe he's Afghani.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I imagine that being so far into the future, having a surname originating from earth (from before the colonization of the galaxy) was a prestige thing. Sorta like romans claiming that they were totally trojans, or chinese people claiming 5000 of heritage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
libertarianism in Frank Herbert's day was way closer to anarchism or whatever before the Kochs and other assorted Randroids took the over movement in the late '70s

it was still pretty stupid but it was a different, less capitalist type of stupid

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
dune is best read as a novel w/ a simple political message (heroes and messiahs bad) and shouldn't be forced too hard into the square holes of "which ideology is it the most like"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

dune is best read as a novel w/ a simple political message (heroes and messiahs bad) and shouldn't be forced too hard into the square holes of "which ideology is it the most like"

Don't say things like this too loudly on the internet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Don't say things like this too loudly on the internet.

But which Hogwarts house would Duncan Idaho go into?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Herbert was all about grassroots democracy. He talked about how every citizen should have a turn on decision making counsels and there would be no leaders.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Duncan went to Durmstrang

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just finished children of dune and thought I'd look at the last few pages of this thread, just wanna say brutalist mcdonalds is a huge idiot nerd god drat lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
herbert was a speechwriter for sen. guy cordon, "the last dependably rock-solid conservative to represent the people of Oregon" according to oregon historical society.

quote:

One of a growing number of anti-New Deal/Fair Deal Republicans in the Senate, Cordon was a reliably conservative vote on most domestic and international issues, voting for the anti-labor Taft-Hartley Act and the isolationist Bricker Amendment.

[...]

Senator Cordon was also a relentless budget cutter of federal programs and government workers’ pay. By 1949, although on personally friendly terms with fellow World War I artillery veteran Harry Truman, Cordon painted Democrats as "soft on Communism" and as fellow travelers. Although not a demagogue himself, he quietly welcomed Senator Joseph McCarthy's speeches and hearings as the start of a long-overdue crusade against what was known as the Red Menace.
like i don't have a bone to pick with frank hebert's corpse and not mad. herbert wrote some pretty sweet sci-fi novels. it more shows that one doesn't have to be politically "progressive" to write inspired works of fiction. herbert had that intensity of vision.

i think herbert today would really be into rand paul

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

libertarianism in Frank Herbert's day was way closer to anarchism or whatever before the Kochs and other assorted Randroids took the over movement in the late '70s

it was still pretty stupid but it was a different, less capitalist type of stupid
or also maybe like thoureau

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

herbert was a speechwriter for sen. guy cordon, "the last dependably rock-solid conservative to represent the people of Oregon" according to oregon historical society.

like i don't have a bone to pick with frank hebert's corpse and not mad. herbert wrote some pretty sweet sci-fi novels. it more shows that one doesn't have to be politically "progressive" to write inspired works of fiction. herbert had that intensity of vision.

i think herbert today would really be into rand paul

The term conservative implied different things back then than it does now. Hopefully this doesn't come off as too dickish, but I don't think you're really grasping the context of the terminology you're employing, especially in relation to political ideologies. I say this as someone born and raised in Oregon.

Anyways, if you want a libertarian-leaning sci-fi writer, Heinlein's got you covered, but even he's divorced from the meaning/context of the term's usage in contemporary discussion/practice.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The more I see or hear politics discussed, the more I become a proponent of dropping labels and talking about policies in detail instead, since it seems like the labels have undergone so much change in the past, and are still undergoing so much change now, that nobody really knows what they mean.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The term conservative implied different things back then than it does now. Hopefully this doesn't come off as too dickish, but I don't think you're really grasping the context of the terminology you're employing, especially in relation to political ideologies. I say this as someone born and raised in Oregon.

Anyways, if you want a libertarian-leaning sci-fi writer, Heinlein's got you covered, but even he's divorced from the meaning/context of the term's usage in contemporary discussion/practice.
The above discussion and especially the last post, the one I quoted, reminds me of one of my favorite past-times: watching people argue over Heinleins ideologies based on his writing, when his writing demonstrate just about every single ideology you can reasonably find, including him making fun of people who try to argue his ideology based on his books.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want a mashup of Dune and Arrested Development. It could work with either the Atreides or the Harkonnens as the Bluth family stand-ins.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

So where are you getting "Libertarian" out of any of that?

Before you said he was a Libertarian because he opposed Joe McCarthy, and Joe McCarthy was "too big government." (which, bizarrely, would make a bunch of not only Democrat politicians but also some of Joe's fellow Republicans Libertarians). Now he's a Libertarian because he wrote speeches for a conservative who supported decidedly non-Libertarian policies like Taft-Hartley (Milton loving Friedman argued that right-to-work laws were anti-market, for chrissakes).

Stop using words when you don't know what they mean.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank did have personal politics that were focused on liberty and a good chunk of the dune series is built on a critique of authority structures, but it's not useful to compare him to modern right wing libertarianism. He held ideas that today would seem incongruous.

However I'm on my way to work and I have no desire or time really to gather sources for this. You can look yourself or wait till I find time for it if you really care

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

whydirt posted:

I want a mashup of Dune and Arrested Development. It could work with either the Atreides or the Harkonnens as the Bluth family stand-ins.

Leto:
What have we always said is the most important thing?

Paul:
Spice!

Leto:
...No. House Atreides.

Paul:
Oh right! I thought you meant of the things you eat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

The more I see or hear politics discussed, the more I become a proponent of dropping labels and talking about policies in detail instead, since it seems like the labels have undergone so much change in the past, and are still undergoing so much change now, that nobody really knows what they mean.

The above discussion and especially the last post, the one I quoted, reminds me of one of my favorite past-times: watching people argue over Heinleins ideologies based on his writing, when his writing demonstrate just about every single ideology you can reasonably find, including him making fun of people who try to argue his ideology based on his books.

I mean, fair enough, I'm not saying Heinlein wasn't complex and ever fluid in his analyses and ideas, but when you write one of the most prominent tales of libertarian revolution of all time, that makes you slightly more libertarian than a dude who studies whether grass can grow in sand.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Arrhythmia posted:

BUT HOW ELSE WILL WE KNOW IF IT'S OKAY TO READ HIM?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, fair enough, I'm not saying Heinlein wasn't complex and ever fluid in his analyses and ideas, but when you write one of the most prominent tales of libertarian revolution of all time, that makes you slightly more libertarian than a dude who studies whether grass can grow in sand.
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress ends with "But Prof underrated yammerheads. They never adopted any of his ideas.", though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nothing is ever gonna make me care about somebody's dumb politics and I'm still gonna read their fiction if I like it.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
in the cat who walk through walls hazel stone who was a granny in the rolling stones bitches constantly about how authoritarian the moon has gotten

Mod edited for clarity:

in The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, Hazel Stone, who was a granny in The Rolling Stones, bitches constantly about how authoritarian the moon has gotten.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 6, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't see anyone itt dedicated to saying dune is good saying that it's bad and people shouldn't read it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I was more trying to express that I think it's prolly the worst kind of bookchat but I'm a moron and prolly worded things too aggressively.

Honestly half the time it turns into people calling an author's works bad because the author may or may not have been bad but you're right everybody's not that uptight about it in here.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ratatozsk posted:

Leto:
What have we always said is the most important thing?

Paul:
Spice!

Leto:
...No. House Atreides.

Paul:
Oh right! I thought you meant of the things you eat.

Now I got this whole Mr. Kwisatz Haderach bit in my head

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Pimblor posted:

in the cat who walk through walls hazel stone who was a granny in the rolling stones bitches constantly about how authoritarian the moon has gotten
The revolution was Capital-L Libertarian (for the times). But Heinlein recognized that these situations never last. And Hazel Stone calling a govt authoritarian might not mean said Govt is what you and I call authoritarian.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

D. Ebdrup posted:

Looks like someone's on the name-chain

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It is true that sometimes these words get slopped around imprecisely.

It is also true that Herbert had some ancient Reverend Mothers with Other Memory turn to the camera and do that mallard filmore "liberals liberals liberals liberals liberals!!" strip in Chapterhouse.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

exmachina posted:

The revolution was Capital-L Libertarian (for the times). But Heinlein recognized that these situations never last. And Hazel Stone calling a govt authoritarian might not mean said Govt is what you and I call authoritarian.

Yeah, "too authoritarian" for her encompasses a lot of things, including "failed her ship on inspection over Cr 50 worth of air filter spares".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, "too authoritarian" for her encompasses a lot of things, including "failed her ship on inspection over Cr 50 worth of air filter spares".

Sounds more Bureaucratic than authoritarian.

I don't know what 'Cr 50" is, but I am assuming its like 50 cents or something low.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Looks like someone's on the name-chain
Wait, have I now been involved in some sort of nefarious scheme where I get to pet my cat and laugh evily?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
what is filmbase supposed to be? future-paper? e-ink readers? holographic poo poo?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

what is filmbase supposed to be? future-paper? e-ink readers? holographic poo poo?
I suppose every single time I've read it, I've taken it that it meant propaganda film.

For being a science fiction book, Dune is almost completely absent of technology that isn't distinguishable from magic - yet, I don't for a second buy the argument that Dune is fantasy.
If anything, it's converse coalary of how Star Wars being Le Morte d'Arthur set in space - although I may need a bit more time to formulate it into words.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The argument that Dune isn't sci-fi but 'science fantasy' never made much sense to me, especially when the people who claim it is science fantasy generally peg it there under a restrictive set of guidelines that means most contemporary works of sci-fi wouldn't fit in the genre either. For example, things like: prescience doesn't exist, there's no way Spice could do all that it does, etc. It feels like it ignores the core of the series - an exploration of the effects of prescience on society, examining the idea of a hero, discussing socio-political stuff, etc - and puts too much emphasis on the devices that enable it.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

I suppose every single time I've read it, I've taken it that it meant propaganda film.

For being a science fiction book, Dune is almost completely absent of technology that isn't distinguishable from magic - yet, I don't for a second buy the argument that Dune is fantasy.
If anything, it's converse coalary of how Star Wars being Le Morte d'Arthur set in space - although I may need a bit more time to formulate it into words.

are filmbooks made out of filmbase? those sound like e-readers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dune is deliberately schizophrenic with the technology with the implication that the Jihad means their development and priorities are radically different from what we take for granted now. Quite possibly their medical science and engineering are very advanced, the Fremen are said to manufacture Stillsuits using sophisticated engineering and design. Thing is in Dune is that people aren't at all implied to be the ignorant noble savages with the occasional effete/eccentric intellectual you expect from a fantasy, post-apocalyptic or feudal setting, in fact given Spice and Mentats being a thing (and Paul is iirc noted to be a Mentat or at least use their exercises) most of the characters seem to be very intelligent, having private languages and all.

I think Dune is meant to be styled more after historical fiction, especially given it takes a lot of influence from historical literature. But also especially the first book recalls religious scripture/fiction, especially with the prescience elements. And the while Jihad element resulting in a society necessarily shaped by technology it lacks as much as technology it has.

I'd say it very much falls into science fiction of a more classical kind than more modern stuff. And someone did say it's in many ways a response to the Foundation series that inverts its themes.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alright, so I think I've managed to remember the logic I once came up with for why Dune is science fiction: Dune is the exploration of a field of science (ecology) set in a fictional world, and what pressures that would force upon a people as seen through the lens of a set of characters.
Of course, it's also many other things including Herbert railing against demagogues.

Another answer, of course, could be that Dune is science fiction and fantasy as it "can be in many places at once".

Temaukel posted:

are filmbooks made out of filmbase? those sound like e-readers.
Isn't a filmbook described as using shigawire as a sort of rope memory? So maybe a sort of e-reader but with the aforementioned shigawire memory.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 6, 2019