Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man every now and then I think about Half Life and get a bit sad.

I think the biggest blow is that the HL and Portal universe just felt so vibrant and full of character and potential, and now it's just face down in a ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Re-reading epistle 3 I remember how much I actually love it, especially this last paragraph, even if it does make me a bit sad too.

Marc Laidlaw posted:

And here we are. I spoke of my return to this shore. It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew, and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists. I expect you know better than I the appropriate course of action, and I leave you to it. Expect no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final epistle.

Yours in infinite finality,

Gertrude Fremont, Ph.D.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Battlefield V stuff:

quote:

During EA’s fiscal earnings call today, CEO Andrew Wilson announced that Battlefield V missed its sales expectations for the holiday quarter.

Wilson attributed Battlefield V’s underperformance to several factors. First was the game’s month-long delay from October 19 to November 20, which pushed the title into a busier holiday season. Wilson also pointed to prioritizing single-player content over Battlefield V’s still unreleased battle-royale mode as a contributing factor to the poor sales. Later in the call, CFO Blake Jorgensen offered specific numbers: Battlefield V has sold 7.3 million copies, putting it 1 million units below the company's expectations.

That said, EA touted that 27 million players have played Battlefield games over the past year, and that they are committed to “long-term live service” for their players. Battlefield V’s battle royale mode is set to launch in March.

Man don't throw single-player content as a selling point under the bus like that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If 7.3 million in sales is too low, make smaller loving games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

If 7.3 million in sales is too low, make smaller loving games

Unfortunately for EA it is. I feel bad for all of the staff working on these games that are not in management positions. You know they are going to be punished for this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Battlefield V stuff:

Man don't throw single-player content as a selling point under the bus like that.

lol yeah that's not why it sold 7.3 million instead of 8.3 million

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm sure the br will be very popular, one month after EA releases the other br

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
In order to meet expectations the next Battlefield game will be shipped without useable vehicles

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Plants vs Zombies Battle Royale is definitely coming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PvZ but every plant and zombie is a horny anime

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Really Pants posted:

PvZ but every plant and zombie is a horny anime

ah, Fire Emblem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

they've already announced a new pvz game is coming out this year

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just a reminder that DICE have such a high opinion of Andrew Wilson that they literally made him the smug corporate villain in Mirrors Edge 2

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

gently caress yes.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Also (not) nice to see Disney throwing older ventures under the bus like...

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1092932865820643328

That? That's...kind of a lie? Because game companies that Disney themselves owned DID make good games, have made good games once upon a time? And like the whole thing with Disney Infinity shutting down wasn't because the game wasn't good but because even though it made money it didn't make money fast enough for them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Disney Infinity had the licensing issue where Disney characters weren't allowed to visit each others worlds.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really getting the feeling I'm never getting a re-release of Nightmare Ned from Disney.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That? That's...kind of a lie? Because game companies that Disney themselves owned DID make good games, have made good games once upon a time? And like the whole thing with Disney Infinity shutting down wasn't because the game wasn't good but because even though it made money it didn't make money fast enough for them.

I really want a new Podrace game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get the wipeout guys who were fired to do it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was Extreme G on Nintendo 64 as good as I remember it being?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my 10th game completed for 2019.

10/10, absolutely loved this game and it was worth the super long wait for the sequel. Will be playing the multiplayer for years to come.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Half-Life universe is pretty generic alien post-apocalypse with a silent protagonist, Valve made the right decision knowing that so many developers have surpassed them in terms of both FPS storytelling and gameplay that there was a 100% chance HL3/Episode 3 would be considered a disappointment

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I'm sure the br will be very popular, one month after EA releases the other br

It is crazy that EA surprise released a f2p scifi shooter like 2 weeks before their big scifi shooter. I know Super Apex Legends and Anthem aren't exactly clones, but still.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Half-Life universe is pretty generic alien post-apocalypse with a silent protagonist, Valve made the right decision knowing that so many developers have surpassed them in terms of both FPS storytelling and gameplay that there was a 100% chance HL3/Episode 3 would be considered a disappointment

Most things in videogames are generic and it's the execution that elevates them beyond that. Valve had that with HL, a great execution on a simple concept. I don't agree that they were left in the dust as far as storytelling goes and I think the portal series shows that. They just let the hype percolate for too long resulting in soaring expectations and paralyzed themselves into inaction.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They realized they could make infinitely more money not making gAmes I think.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

then they made artifact, for some reason

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hahaha, this tweet makes me laugh. Disney can and will say whatever they want about video games because the truth is they simply do not care. Licensing allows them to collect licensing payments and still wield all of the power of refusal and approval. Anyone who works on a Disney video game does so at their own risk.

This isn't just me throwing sour grapes either. No one at the exec level knows enough how to do games correctly nor do they care enough to hire anyone who does know. They've long seen games as an extension of their synergy-based marketing apparatus and not as a form of media or art in and of themselves.

I also highly doubt that they're happy with what EA is doing, but they're also partly to blame for cancelations and they still get paid licensing fees regardless so they probably just don't care there either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

While it’s true HL3 might have been a disappointment, we know that’s not the real reason it was canceled

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

i rented this game once and i only have these fever dream-ish memories of it that can't possibly be representative of what it actually was

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mutata posted:

Hahaha, this tweet makes me laugh. Disney can and will say whatever they want about video games because the truth is they simply do not care. Licensing allows them to collect licensing payments and still wield all of the power of refusal and approval. Anyone who works on a Disney video game does so at their own risk.

This isn't just me throwing sour grapes either. No one at the exec level knows enough how to do games correctly nor do they care enough to hire anyone who does know. They've long seen games as an extension of their synergy-based marketing apparatus and not as a form of media or art in and of themselves.

I also highly doubt that they're happy with what EA is doing, but they're also partly to blame for cancelations and they still get paid licensing fees regardless so they probably just don't care there either.
they made a big deal about Iger being mad at the Battlefront microtransactions but the reality is he probably was only mad that they didn't do a good enough job of sneaking it in

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno Bob Iger kinda seems like a more reasonable guy than that. Didn’t he replace Eisner because he understood digital distribution and didn’t antagonize iTunes and other forward thinking business models?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like Disney would say that they're happy with EA right up until the exact second they end the licensing deal. Them saying they're happy with the deal has essentially no meaning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Viewtiful Jew posted:

We live in a world where Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse exists, so I question this headline.

E: actually that's a good chat thread flash poll- what is the best video game based solely on Disney IP? They have to have owned the IP when the game came out so no old Star Wars games.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 6, 2019

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

i rented this game once and i only have these fever dream-ish memories of it that can't possibly be representative of what it actually was

Exactly

I looked up a video and it looks pretty boring

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

C-Euro posted:

We live in a world where Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse exists, so I question this headline.

E: actually that's a good chat thread flash poll- what is the best video game based solely on Disney IP? They have to have owned the IP when the game came out so no old Star Wars games.
Quackshot

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

C-Euro posted:

Nightmare Ned.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Spent the evening playing Apex Legends (ugh that name) and it's actually fun as gently caress? I feel like it makes a ton of smart updates to the formula.

Just being able to revive teammates is huge. I revived a guy on my team when there were only 4 total people remaining, turning a 1v3 into a 2v3. It keeps death from being frustrating and instead you're waiting to see if your teammates can turn the tables.

Hope people give it a chance. I know it's not Titanfall 3 but it still feels great to play and I feel like Respawn really put a lot into it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I can't wait for the employee horror stories that will come from corporate's hamfisted attempts to fix their percieved 'problem.'

"In order to ensure that the Bioweapons Division meets its projected quotas for the next fiscal year, Weyland-Yutani has changed shift schedules to fit an 80-hour work week, and the entire security wing will be sacked and its facilities will be repurposed as an employee-run daycare."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jay Rust posted:

Tales of Woe posted:

I remember the 3rd game where if you went so fast yoy broke the sound barrier and all the sounds would mute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7DxQShpZs