Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the guy that wants to be made viceroy-for-hire of afghanistan may be a somebody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It will never not be absurd that this orange brain addled gently caress gets all the trappings of the being the POTUS.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shifty Pony posted:

"Utter morons" is also acceptable if you want to save a few keystrokes.

The article, and Nate's twitter replies to criticisms of it, have actually been pretty interesting. He laid out something I had noticed, but hadn't been able to find words for: the Democrats' stated policies poll well and are broadly extremely popular. But statistically, if you disagree with any single one of them, even if only a single one of them, you are more likely than not to vote Republican.

Hate rich people, hate guns, but also pro-life? Republican. A wealthy gay minority environmentalist who thinks their taxes are too high? Republican. Blue collar worker desperately needing healthcare, but also very racist? You better believe you're a Republican.

The Republican party has cobbled together a big tent out of unpopular ideas precisely because they're unpopular. People accuse Republican voters of voting against their self interest, but it's only true to the extent that they're extremely leveraged on one of their interests of the others. It's a grand coalition of single-issue deplorables. Which explains, in a sense, the gradual decay of third way politics. It may now be functionally impossible, at the national level, to peel off Republican or Democratic voters to any great degree because there is no longer an issue to realign around which isn't loving poison to a huge section of one party's base.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

its actually kind of refreshing that prince has not yet been handed over a bunch of countries because this administration is comic book villain evil and prince has been lobbying very hard for it as he sees this as his shot

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1092947085563969536

Why do TV anchors even bother with this lunch thing, anyway

I mean, Trump would have them all hauled off to prison in an instant if he thought he could get away with it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Berke Negri posted:

the guy that wants to be made viceroy-for-hire of afghanistan may be a somebody

Erik Prince is a nobody from a public politics standpoint, though. He's not the kind of person that stands to benefit from a weird stunt like this.

edit- it literally just occurred to me that they could be doing this 100% to impress donald trump and nobody else in spite of the fact that that very idea is so idiotic that it's hurting my brain

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 6, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Berke Negri posted:

its actually kind of refreshing that prince has not yet been handed over a bunch of countries because this administration is comic book villain evil and prince has been lobbying very hard for it as he sees this as his shot

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve Bannon, one of the most successful conmen in history

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Paradoxish posted:

Erik Prince is a nobody from a public politics standpoint, though. He's not the kind of person that stands to benefit from a weird stunt like this.

edit- it literally just occurred to me that they could be doing this 100% to impress donald trump and nobody else in spite of the fact that that very idea is so idiotic that it's hurting my brain

its just grifting the whole way down

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

How does this even qualify as a political stunt? Bannon is a nobody at this point. He's working with nobodies. No one involved in this project gains anything from it and the project itself has no practical value whatsoever.

Besides grift? Because grift is huge. A potential 45 billion dollar project (and that's before it goes overbudget) can get a ton of money siphoned away.

For Bannon I see him trying to gain relevance once more by acting as a magnet for fascists and then acting as a leadership incubator them to see if he can create the fascists of tomorrow. Sure they're nobodies now, but he helped propel a neo-fascist D-List celebrity to presidential status. If he's successful you may see him as a common connection between up and coming strongmen five or ten years from now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Paradoxish posted:

He's a Trump supporter, he was involved in creating a backchannel earlier in the endless Trump scandals, and his sister is Sec of Education.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

oh man i keep forgetting the devos connection

what an awful family

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
one of the most brutal takedowns i've seen in this administration so far is the mcmansion hell lady roasting betsy devos' mansion

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

It's always horrible for Tlaib as well; they really crawl out of the woodwork for the two of them

I noticed there are certain people who tend to have pretty high ratios of lovely replies more often than not. AOC doesn't seem to have this problem, but I think that's cause she's waaay more popular and well known than the other two.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

oh man i keep forgetting the devos connection

what an awful family

She is also the heir to the amway pyramid scheme fortune, is she not?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1092947085563969536

Why do TV anchors even bother with this lunch thing, anyway

I mean, Trump would have them all hauled off to prison in an instant if he thought he could get away with it

How does this motherfucker still not know what a dog is or does at this point

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

But, like, why?

In some weird loving way I understand why Trump is obsessed with the wall, but the thing is pointless. Even as a racist symbol it is loving pointless. As a private venture it is beyond pointless.

Like, this right here:

How does this even qualify as a political stunt? Bannon is a nobody at this point. He's working with nobodies. No one involved in this project gains anything from it and the project itself has no practical value whatsoever.

It's Steven Bannon, "SUPER GENIUS".

None of us peons are smart enough to understand his galaxy-brain machinations

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DoombatINC posted:

Trump has never actually met a dog. They are pure and good animals and flee when they feel his vile presence near.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/FenitN/status/1092950933372325889

Ralph is a huge piece of poo poo

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DoombatINC posted:

This is his most apt dog simile however, since dogs do sometimes eat things too big for them and choke.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

DoombatINC posted:

No, trump just messed up his own turn of phrase: "he choked like (I do) a dog".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cue Trump whining about "off the record" again.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I hate him so goddamn much

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well, this isn't specifically what I feared, but it's going to have a similar result. Kiss the dream of unfucking Virginia's gerrymandered maps goodbye. :smith:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acosta/status/1092956033431986177

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yes, haha, salty trump, let's do this

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh good; he's going to try and force the entire nation to sit through one of his loving stupid Wyoklokoda county fair rallies

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

quote:

But his assumption that allies would give him the benefit of the doubt contributed to Northam’s poor handling of the crisis over the photo, according to people close to the governor. And his shock at being so quickly discarded by the party has made it harder for Northam to accept the calls to resign, the people said.

Over the past several days, he has even toyed with the idea of leaving the Democratic Party and governing as an independent — a sign of the degree that he is isolated from every political ally, from his state party and from the national party.

Are my standards so low now that I am proud of them Democrats for going "gently caress you, I'm not saving your rear end" here?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

luxury handset posted:

one of the most brutal takedowns i've seen in this administration so far is the mcmansion hell lady roasting betsy devos' mansion

I'm the stone pillars who are disappointed in my idiotic playdoh stamp cousins

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Whoa (regarding Fairfax's accuser)

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1092883844980789249

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Are my standards so low now that I am proud of them Democrats for going "gently caress you, I'm not saving your rear end" here?

No, you should be proud that they cut him loose without hesitation.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Even the republicans in Florida got rid of a guy for wearing blackface, he has no hope (and he shouldn't, gently caress him).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Somebody send me a DM when this is over, I'll watch the response on YouTube just to influence the ratings

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

I've been laughing to myself lately at the number of people who don't think he's just going to get up there and start ranting about whatever his maggot-filled brain latches onto first.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acosta/status/1092953897424076805

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So are we TVIVing this here or what?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

haveblue posted:

They didn’t remove the mandate, they reduced the penalty for not compiling with the mandate to zero. This was done because you can do the one through reconciliation but not the other.

I got a tax form in the mail confirming my insurance status so that’s still happening.

THIS IS NOT TRUE, YOU WILL gently caress UP YOUR TAXES IF YOU TRY THIS

The mandate is still in effect until tax year 2019 - filing in April 2020.

What changed this year is no-documentation required for hardship.

E: Oh look at all the pages that were here, waiting on me to refresh. I was beaten only a dozen times.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I guess we know what Dipshit will tweet about tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/AmyEGardner/status/1092941590555971585?s=19

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder which commentator will be the first to call Trump "Presidential" because he succeeded in not making GBS threads himself on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So are republicans now believe sexual assault allegations when they're levelled at a democrat ?