Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sorry, I mean to say when the batteries are side-by-side.

You need less wiring/conductive material if you make the user put the batteries in in an alternating order in compartments like that, instead of wiring up so they can go in either direction, or designing it so that the batteries can all be the same orientation while next to each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Its Coke posted:

Who should I follow on instagram?
Ask yourself, "Do this person's photos and videos spark joy?"

Mine is mostly my friends, cute animals, and attractive people. It's all empty calories but that's all I'm interested in getting from Instagram.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I follow some comedians who I find funny. Their stories (I think? Little videos that play sequentially?) are the main thing I go there for.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
When I log into my Windows 10 laptop, it rotates through some nice photography. I don't mind the photography, but I really hate the stupid text bubbles that appear. Because, like, if it just said "This place is in Moscow!" then that would be fine. Instead, it's all clickbaity bullshit, like "You won't believe how cold this place can get..."

It sounds silly, but I've spent more than an hour trying to figure out how to get rid of the text things, and I'm not sure it can be done. There is a photography slideshow that it has, but that's just photos that are already here. I like new photos being rotated in. I just don't want the text bubbles.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

credburn posted:

When I log into my Windows 10 laptop, it rotates through some nice photography. I don't mind the photography, but I really hate the stupid text bubbles that appear. Because, like, if it just said "This place is in Moscow!" then that would be fine. Instead, it's all clickbaity bullshit, like "You won't believe how cold this place can get..."

It sounds silly, but I've spent more than an hour trying to figure out how to get rid of the text things, and I'm not sure it can be done. There is a photography slideshow that it has, but that's just photos that are already here. I like new photos being rotated in. I just don't want the text bubbles.
You need some third party program to do it, Windows doesn't offer the spotlight rotating wallpaper thing without the annoying text.

There's a folder where it stores a handful of cached images of you're enamored with a particular one you saw recently, but this cache doesn't update unless you use the function as intended, so it's not like you can just point the regular rotating wallpaper function there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Huh. Well, I can easily find a plethora of high-res images to just be rotated through the slideshow. I was just surprised that there didn't seem to be a way opt out of the text. But I guess it drives some ad revenue this way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what kind of nutrition would you get if you were some farmer in old times whose diet consisted of bread, potatoes and meat? I google the nutrition of each and there's a lack of certain vitamins / minerals, but a lot of poor people had these diets ages ago.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

what kind of nutrition would you get if you were some farmer in old times whose diet consisted of bread, potatoes and meat? I google the nutrition of each and there's a lack of certain vitamins / minerals, but a lot of poor people had these diets ages ago.

It depends on the location and period you’re talking about but that was rarely all there was to a diet afaik. Mostly because farming isn’t so intensive that you can’t do other things while your plants grow and because it would be disgusting and lead to malnutrition. There were also “kitchen gardens” where less durable vegetables and herbs would be grown just for a family or two to eat.

In addition to their personal vegetable gardens, people would also go into the commons and gather mushrooms, berries, roots and fish and small game. If they were slightly more well off they’d have a goat or two for milk and meat. If they were straight up potato farmers they would still have part of their crop to sell or trade for whatever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Qubee posted:

The thing to remember is, a lot of the stuff missing there is stuff that you only need small amounts of to get by. Those people would usually be able to eat enough from foods that were hard to come by throughout the year.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Qubee posted:

Remember that potatoes come from the New World. The traditional European peasant diet is cheap carbs (like bread) + whatever else they can scrounge up.

Modern peasants still suffer from vitamin deficiencies, e.g. Tens of thousands of children go blind every year because of vitamin A deficiency.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

It really would depend on where you lived and what grew there. The thing to keep in mind is that your body can actually synthesize a lot of what it needs. I think only a third of the things your body needs is stuff that it can't make itself. Unless you're eating something that's too simple like rabbit meat any meat you can get provides basically everything, including most fish.

Irish people for example are associated with potatoes as they grow great there. Ireland flourished once the potato was introduced (until the famine, anyway) as you could feed four people with an acre of potatoes and the milk from a cow. Potatoes and dairy is I think the simplest diet that you can get everything you need from. So in the case of taters you can survive very well on little else. Potatoes get a bad reputation now as people tend to skin them, deep fry them, and cover them in fats. The not carb nutrients are in or near the skin so you really need to just eat the whole thing to get the best nutrition out of it.

Indigenous Americans often farmed what are called the three sisters crops; corn, beans, and squash. That combination of crops actually has everything you need to survive. This is incidentally also why Mexican food is so heavy on beans and corn tortillas. That's very, very nutritious. With those three crops and whatever meat you can happen to catch you can easily get all of the nutrition you need to live well.

Bread as we know it today also is very different from bread as it was known in the periods you're thinking of. It's getting closer now that whole grain is more popular but your common farmer probably wasn't eating heavily processed wheat bread. It was more likely a whole grained barley or rye bread. If you're talking about Europe various pottages and soups made of peas were also staples. Cabbage would be a staple in various Germanic or Slavic areas. Bread would often also have other stuff baked into it. Ye olde farmers probably also didn't eat nearly as much meat as you're assuming; any livestock that they had was far more valuable for the work, eggs, or milk it provided. This is why things like "let's roast an entire pig" are associated with festivals or celebrations; it was special when you got to eat a pig. Mostly people subsisted on plants. Often other stuff would be baked into the bread. I think there are things that keep longer if you bake it into bread. Same goes for cheese; cheese predates recorded history and is a staple food for a lot of ancient people as some varieties actually keep quite a while.

Even so ye olde farmer didn't just grow grains and nothing else. Usually they'd grow multiple crops or forage for extra stuff as needed. The Irish in particular have an old folk song about the seaweed they eat when things get really lovely. It's called Dulaman and it's a good song. In any event read about crop rotations to get a better idea of what people would eat. In European-style three crop rotation you'd usually plant grains in one field, oats and peas in another, and then not plant in the third. Grains and peas or beans shows up all over in human food history as it's quite a nutritious combination.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 2, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It really would depend on where you lived and what grew there. The thing to keep in mind is that your body can actually synthesize a lot of what it needs. I think only a third of the things your body needs is stuff that it can't make itself. Unless you're eating something that's too simple like rabbit meat any meat you can get provides basically everything, including most fish.

I don't know why I find this stuff so interesting. Are there books I can read that basically lay everything out similar to how your post did? The Middle Ages time period is super fascinating to me. Nutrition, lifestyle, diet, all this stuff is interesting.

And are you sure one acre could only feed four people? I was reading a bunch of potato-related links, and from one seed potato, you can get 5-10 potatoes, and they don't need to be spaced far apart to grow well. An acre is large, I feel like with that you could probably feed more people. But then I guess if you need to make it last the entire year, an acre seems realistic.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Qubee posted:

I don't know why I find this stuff so interesting. Are there books I can read that basically lay everything out similar to how your post did? The Middle Ages time period is super fascinating to me. Nutrition, lifestyle, diet, all this stuff is interesting.

And are you sure one acre could only feed four people? I was reading a bunch of potato-related links, and from one seed potato, you can get 5-10 potatoes, and they don't need to be spaced far apart to grow well. An acre is large, I feel like with that you could probably feed more people. But then I guess if you need to make it last the entire year, an acre seems realistic.

Think of it less that an acre only feeds 4 people ever, and more that even in bad conditions, the acre of land would be enough to keep them fed while in good conditions it keeps them fed plus provides sufficient surplus to pick up other goods they need.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Qubee posted:

My farm in Ontario was 2 acres of vegetable crops (~50 varieties) and we produced 40 ~15lb baskets of produce for 20 weeks (Spring - Fall). YHWV though! People certainly supplemented the baskets with grocery store food though. I loved getting into the math and trying to make things more efficient.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

It's absurdly easy to find interesting. It could be a lot of reasons; one of them is eating something while realizing that it was invented before writing. Stuff like bread and cheese goes back that far and has just been refined over the years. Maybe you read a recipe or tried a traditional food and heard the story of why it came into being. Traditional food is probably the most interesting because literally all of it is "well OK so this is what grows here now how do we make it taste good and keep well?" Then you have hundreds or thousands of years of people working with those ingredients and you get some really interesting stuff. You also eat every day and food is a basic lizard brain urge because, well, you don't eat and you die so of course food gets your attention. Meanwhile if you have a lovely diet you know it does bad things to do so reading about how to have a good diet becomes important if you care about such things. Then you start wondering how people who don't or didn't live with modern conveniences dealt with nutrition. One of the things that I find very interesting is that modern western diets are commonly loving awful while, say, medieval English peasant diets were actually very healthy. You'd think that a medieval English peasant would be the one eating like crap but primarily living on oats, peas, whatever random vegetables you can find, small beer, and fish is quite good for you. Fancy that.

Ireland is not a place known for its good soil. In fact it's a lovely place for farming. One of the reasons potatoes did so well there after some selective breeding made them able to deal with the conditions is that you can grow them basically anywhere. You have good soil? You can grow potatoes. You have lovely soil? gently caress it, potatoes. Farmers in Ireland were amazed at the fact that they could easily at least double their crop yields by just growing some taters. The potato and the blight were so important to the Irish thriving that the population of the island peaked in the early 19th century and still hasn't recovered fully. Think about that for a second; there are billions more people on this rock but millions fewer in Ireland. Potato blight hosed things up for the people on that island that badly. Also the acre wasn't all potatoes; some of it was grazing land while they still planted various grains. Oats are a big one in the Isles in general. However potatoes ended up making up the bulk of their diet once it was introduced and allowed to spread.

As for books I'd recommend looking at other sources. Cookbooks will sometimes have a lot of history on old foods that have been around forever. Wikipedia also has some good general overview articles. The internet is also a good place; I've seen some really interesting YouTube videos where somebody talked about historical foods in various places, why they were the way they were, and how to make it. Then they'd actually make it and somebody would try it. Incidentally that's how I learned about pottage. Archaeology will also sometimes mention what the people they were studying ate. You can actually learn a lot about a people's eating habits just by analyzing the food residue on pot shards apparently.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 2, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Look into nutritional anthropology as well. That’s the field for this stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

Look into nutritional anthropology as well. That’s the field for this stuff.

The only "famous" nutritional anthropologist ever:

Deb Dutchon who was on Good Eats.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Why are so many companies registered at "Suite 1, 5 Percy St" in London, what kind of organisation is that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shy posted:

Why are so many companies registered at "Suite 1, 5 Percy St" in London, what kind of organisation is that?

I think it might be a "virtual office" - a business that lets you use their address there as a mailing address so you can pretend you're in London.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Disgusting. Thanks!

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Why can't I see the woozy face emoji in my browsers?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Even so ye olde farmer didn't just grow grains and nothing else. Usually they'd grow multiple crops or forage for extra stuff as needed. The Irish in particular have an old folk song about the seaweed they eat when things get really lovely. It's called Dulaman and it's a good song. In any event read about crop rotations to get a better idea of what people would eat. In European-style three crop rotation you'd usually plant grains in one field, oats and peas in another, and then not plant in the third. Grains and peas or beans shows up all over in human food history as it's quite a nutritious combination.

I never knew Black Betty was an Irish folk song :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

anyone have tips for how to get a neighbors dog to shut the gently caress up. It’s a German Shepherd they leave out all day every day and it barks constantly. If it sees me in my own house it goes apeshit. If I open my backdoor it goes apeshit. Any humans that are visible or the dog can smell means it will start barking.

I talked to them twice already and they’re dickheads about it. Filing a complaint with the city as well, per the code if they get 3 or more infractions in a 12 month period they get hit with a fine equal to the number of officers responding x the number of hours needed x 75% for every occurrence from #3 on. This doesn’t seem to be a big financial penalty all told though, and I’m not sure what, if any, collection action the city would try to take considering the small dollar amount.

Thinking of one of those units that detects barks and blasts them with ultrasonic sounds as the next step.

Small claims court as a last resort?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's that meme with an MSPaint US Soldier with oil in the backdrop and he's sorta happily dragging his hands down his face? There's tonnes of variations of it, but I can't find it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Qubee posted:

What's that meme with an MSPaint US Soldier with oil in the backdrop and he's sorta happily dragging his hands down his face? There's tonnes of variations of it, but I can't find it.

It's an example of the Feels Good meme (not to be confused with the similarly-named Feels Good Man meme).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's the one, cheers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How do you deal with nightmares?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well I mean if you're stressed, traumatized, or anxious, deal with those things. How to do that is far beyond the scope of my expertise.

That said, the most effective simple change I can think of is be more careful about regulating your temperature while you sleep. Being too cold, especially, is a good way to end up with horrible dreams.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Make a bedtime routine that calms you down and chills you out. Mine is reading a book and just spraying lavender all over the place and having classical music play really really quietly in the background whilst I read. Going to sleep with a relaxed mentality usually helps me sleep well through the night.

Though, like Tuxedo said, nightmares are usually the result of being stressed, traumatized or anxious. I had a seriously bad bout of nightmares after a relationship breakup that lasted a few months, I was getting them nightly and then they slowly tapered off. I guess that coincided with me "getting over" the breakup. So if there's anything in your life that is causing issues, try addressing it (if possible).

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:2bong:

I don't smoke but according to others I've talked to, when you smoke weed you tend to not dream.

If you stop you get some wicked vivid dreams though so be careful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our three-year-old daughter's room started smelling pretty musty yesterday morning. I've checked behind and under all the furniture and don't see any discoloration. I'm having a hard time finding the source of the odor since most of the room seems to smell about the same. How can I pinpoint where the smell is coming from?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, thanks for the advice. Having tea before bed helped me sleep soundly last night.

There's stress in my life that I can't do anything about, so that's not helping. :sigh:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I smoke weed.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, thanks for the advice. Having tea before bed helped me sleep soundly last night.

There's stress in my life that I can't do anything about, so that's not helping. :sigh:

Get yourself Rooibos tea, it has next to no caffeine content so you can drink it as much as you like leading up to bed. If I have regular tea before bed, it keeps me awake.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

hooah posted:

Our three-year-old daughter's room started smelling pretty musty yesterday morning. I've checked behind and under all the furniture and don't see any discoloration. I'm having a hard time finding the source of the odor since most of the room seems to smell about the same. How can I pinpoint where the smell is coming from?

That's about the age my son discovered the vent cover in his room and started dropping stuff down into the ductwork.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

That's about the age my son discovered the vent cover in his room and started dropping stuff down into the ductwork.

Our vents are all in the ceiling, luckily. Tomorrow I'm going to wash a bunch of her stuff and clean the carpet with a vinegar solution.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My daughter’s room stinks like vinegar. Send help!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

Get yourself Rooibos tea, it has next to no caffeine content so you can drink it as much as you like leading up to bed. If I have regular tea before bed, it keeps me awake.

I drink herbal tea in general but thank you!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
There are drugs that can help with your nightmares.

There are also drugs that can cause nightmares; pseudoephedrine has a rare side effect of giving some people vivid nightmares (it's also contra-indicated for some of those anti-nightmare drugs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have a reputable, trustworthy VPN that I can use on my Android phone as well as my PC? Mainly using it for Pandora (I live in the UK) and occasionally Netflix. Added bonus if it doesn't break the bank. There used to be some guy on SA Forums that had a VPN and it was the best one I ever used, I miss it but I think he shut it down because I can't see it in SA Mart and can't remember what it was called.