Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

zoux posted:

And the worst issued service rifle?

INSAS, a Galil style "AK action but not designed like a WWII submachine gun" rifle designed in the 90s to replace the L1A1 (BritFAL) in Indian service, but was so flawed and poorly made it ended up being replaced in combat units by the AK47 in 2017, and the Indians are now looking to replace it with a 7.62x51mm rifle so there's a not-insubstantial chance it might actually get replaced by another FAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

zoux posted:

Do helicopter drivers normally fly with automatic carbines in the cockpit

Oh also does “parabellum” mean anything special in terms of ammo? I know its Latin meaning

Yeah, each crewmember has an M9 and an M4 with them. Apache pilots fancy themselves as gunfighters, so they lock and load when they go on missions.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

276 PEDERSEN I scream as logistics experts beat me to death with a shovel whilst I'm turning into a corncob

Oh come on. We just got a new thread title like an hour ago.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

vains posted:

i thought you were some variation of staff officer.

I was a private and a platoon leader once upon a time

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

Oh also does “parabellum” mean anything special in terms of ammo? I know its Latin meaning

Luger called his gun the Parabellum Auto Pistol, and so when you hear about parabellum ammo, it's just ammo for the Luger automatic.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) not all that significant an upgrade over the Garand. Yeah, detachable magazines are great but the Garand was also pretty fast to load with en-blocs. The gas system was refined but this wasn't some earth shattering thing. 7.62 NATO is cool and all but you can chamber Garands in that. Yeah it had full auto capabilities but this wasn't really a useful feature.

It could have full-auto, but the full-auto fire group wasn't always issued with the rifle in Vietnam, at least.

bewbies posted:

Broadly speaking you're trained to point your weapon at what you want to kill and shoot in full auto and hope for the best. The only guys who really aim and whatnot are DMs and to a lesser extent marines.

See I know a guy who spent a lot of time in the US Army and here's what he said when I showed him that statement:

quote:

.......wat
No.
No.
Not even close.
Jebus
From Day 1 of BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship), you are beat over the head with Aimed Fire.
You barely so much as use 3rd Burst.
You aim aim aim.

And I know that FM 3-22.9 Rifle Marksmanship M16-/M4-Series Weapons, dated 10 FEB 2011 says that rapid semiautomatic fire is the primary use of the rifle, that semi-automatic fire is what soldiers normally should be doing, and makes it very clear that automatic fire is for a limited number of situations where semi-automatic fire cannot be used effectively and probably never against targets more than 50 meters away.

So either doctrine made a 180 very recently or you're talking out of your rear end.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 6, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LatwPIAT posted:

So either doctrine made a 180 very recently or you're talking out of your rear end.

I did a tour in Afghanistan and two in Iraq. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm sitting. Let me know if you want to learn more.

also "doctrine" lol

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

bewbies posted:

I did a tour in Afghanistan and two in Iraq. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm sitting. Let me know if you want to learn more.

also "doctrine" lol

Doctrine, training, whatever. Either the US Army Rifle Marksmanship manual of 2011 and my friend the US Army vet are both lying to me, or your idea of what US soldiers are trained to do is wildly incongruent with reality.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LatwPIAT posted:

Doctrine, training, whatever. Either the US Army Rifle Marksmanship manual of 2011 and my friend the US Army vet are both lying to me, or your idea of what US soldiers are trained to do is wildly incongruent with reality.

Well, poo poo. Thanks for letting me know!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

also "doctrine" lol

You also stated that all M4s are full auto. I think you're full of poo poo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Turns out that the plural of "anecdote" is, in fact, "argument"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

Turns out that the plural of "anecdote" is, in fact, "argument"
it's "slapfight"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

You also stated that all M4s are full auto. I think you're full of poo poo.

m4a1. my mistake.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

bewbies posted:

also "doctrine" lol

Didn't you previously claim to be a doctrine expert at Leavenworth?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FrangibleCover posted:

Didn't you previously claim to be a doctrine expert at Leavenworth?

I write threat doctrine. you can decide for yourself if I'm an expert or not.

that said, if anything my current job has made me lol more at doctrine than ever before

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blowing your years-long unquestioned online military expert persona act because you forgot to google if m4s were automatic seems like an...unlikely mistake

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

what's commonality of ammunition I say as Russian-paid agents who masturbate when mass shootings happen scream about how MacArthur bad because of the one correct decision he ever made

You’re strawmanning pretty loving hard if you actually read the post/follow up conversation. Yes it made sense in 1932, no one said it didn’t. Regardless the Garand and BAR would’ve been better guns in .276 and it might’ve avoided us doing dumb poo poo like making the M14 being married to .30 instead of developing/accepting something closer to a .280 FAL. Hypotheticals, in my history thread!?

Also, tangentially, the USSR used a seperate rifle round and MG round from like 1946 to the fall, and still do in many cases. Good lord, how did they manage that?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 6, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

zoux posted:

Blowing your years-long unquestioned online military expert persona act because you forgot to google if m4s were automatic seems like an...unlikely mistake

Nothing says he can't be a military expert. He just has to be one who doesn't know how the US Army fires its rifles.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I have a feeling that he looked up a report on the need for remedial infantry training in 1944 stressing increasing the amount of firing and firing on the move and extrapolated that to a massive psychological argument instead of more reasonably coming to the conclusion that a basic training regime mostly composed of parade drill and long range marksmanship did not do wonders for infantry combat effectiveness.

I feel like Ambrose's arguments would be far more interesting had he studied one of the late-comer ETO US infantry divisions, as those came to the continent with far less preparation than the ones that got to stay in England for more than a year before entering combat.

It was worse than that, Marshall had established his view on infantry training before writing his reports. Marshall wrote in his memoir that at Makin Atoll (1943), he observed inexperienced marines open fire on any random old thing, but he didn't want to include that in his research because it didn't conform to his expectations of combat. Just kinda flat out describing his own work as fraudulent :shrug:

zoux posted:

Do helicopter drivers normally fly with automatic carbines in the cockpit

The cartridge was just named after the pistol it was originally designed for. That is the Luger btw

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Nothing says he can't be a military expert. He just has to be one who doesn't know how the US Army fires its rifles.

I can absolutely believe that there is a significant gap between "what training and doctrine say" and "what a combat soldier has experienced." In fact, I am sure that the two are quite different.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mazz posted:

You’re strawmanning pretty loving hard if you actually read the post/follow up conversation. Yes it made sense in 1932, no one said it didn’t. Regardless the Garand and BAR would’ve been better guns in .276 and it might’ve avoided us doing dumb poo poo like making the M14 being married to .30 instead of developing/accepting something closer to a .280 FAL. Hypotheticals, in my history thread!?

Hypotheticals are a dime for a thousand and because of my area of expertise I have to hear morons chanting idiot talking points about Brexit or how NATO is a conspiracy and we wouldn't have lost Vietnam if we hadn't abandoned God's Only Caliber dot Whatever and we should Make America Great by endorsing whatever bullshit Trump spews out. Quite frankly I'm sick of them and I'll willing to say so in whatever forum I can that doesn't prejudice my future employment chances, and if you don't agree you can drat well kiss my pale Irish-American rear end in a top hat.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hypotheticals are a dime for a thousand and because of my area of expertise I have to hear morons chanting idiot talking points about Brexit or how NATO is a conspiracy and we wouldn't have lost Vietnam if we hadn't abandoned God's Only Caliber dot Whatever and we should Make America Great by endorsing whatever bullshit Trump spews out.

Ok, it hits a nerve, I get that. Happened to me on something else on this forum not too long ago. I do think Mac made the right decision for the time (easy to read my post as otherwise) but also it’s knock-on effects were bad for our small arms choice for a long time after. Not really his fault on that tho.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 6, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...
How about the British SA80 programme?

Holy loving mess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mazz posted:

Ok, it hits a nerve, I get that. Happened to me on something else on this forum not too long ago. I do think Mac made the right decision for the time but also it’s knock-on effects were bad for our small arms choice for a long time after. Not really his fault on that tho.

No, I agree totally, I'm just jumpy about bullshit because there's a lot of it about. No harm, no foul.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EvilMerlin posted:

How about the British SA80 programme?

Holy loving mess.

So... the usual for every Brit military project since the Centurion tank or (retrospectively) the Invincibles.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As long as it's "good enough" your country's choice of rifle is unlikely to affect the outcome of a war. :can:

This is even more applicable to handguns.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The one situation, and one situation only where we were trained to use our Valmet M62's on full auto was when we were within like hand grenading distance of the other guy, at that point things you're in a bit of a hurry to suppress/drop them. As seen on this training video, it is mostly the job of the LMG gunner to lay heavy suppressive fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRhK-KuUy8

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So... the usual for every Brit military project since the Centurion tank.

Hey now, the f35 aircraft carrier hilarity is separate and independent of normal badcav lols

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

Hey now, the f35 aircraft carrier hilarity is separate and independent of normal badcav lols

Not really. The Brits built the best carriers they could afford but got hosed by the American military-industrial complex in a replay of Skybolt.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
BAE kramers into the defense acquisition office and just keeps kramering, sliding off airplanes, bouncing against tanks. you get the feeling it's trying to defraud your military, but it's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as it finally nails a contract and fails to deliver you think you hear it exclaim "I never even agreed to make the design capable of being CATOBAR, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way out the door

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

C.M. Kruger posted:

As long as it's "good enough" your country's choice of rifle is unlikely to affect the outcome of a war. :can:

This is even more applicable to handguns.

This. Artillery caused most of the casualties anyway. Knowing this, Red Army went even as far as only issuing one rifle per two soldiers, the other was given ammo. :pseudo:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Not really. The Brits built the best carriers they could afford but got hosed by the American military-industrial complex in a replay of Skybolt.

I do feel like they should've just built a CATOBAR on the grounds they could at least buy Rafales or Super Bugs when the F-35B inevitably cost 3x as much as planned. But then again EMALS still kind of doesn't either so it's a lose/lose. (EDIT: I know Steam exists but there was no way they weren't getting upsold on that)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 6, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

Broadly speaking you're trained to point your weapon at what you want to kill and shoot in full auto and hope for the best. The only guys who really aim and whatnot are DMs and to a lesser extent marines.

My goodness, what a ghastly idea. The enlisted men other ranks are liable to fire off all of his ammunition in panic if given a magazine in which to store ammunition.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 6, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

I can absolutely believe that there is a significant gap between "what training and doctrine say" and "what a combat soldier has experienced." In fact, I am sure that the two are quite different.

Sure. Which is why I checked with my friend before I started tossing strong accusations around.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mazz posted:

I do feel like they should've just built a CATOBAR on the grounds they could at least buy Rafales or Super Bugs when the F-35B inevitably cost 3x as much as planned. But then again EMALS still kind of doesn't either so it's a lose/lose.

Yeah, they should've built CATOBAR ships but they were lied to every step of the way about STOVL.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Yeah, they should've built CATOBAR ships but they were lied to every step of the way about STOVL.

I guess there is some hope that between the USMC, the RN, and now Japan the F-35B will eventually get sorted out. As per the more recent SARs, it's numbers are more impressive than you'd expect. A 35B off a 600ft LHD outperforms the 18A-D off a full CVN in terms of range and payload, pretty significantly in fact, and the ski jump should make that slightly better on top. It still has a lot of hill to climb on cost and reliability though.

EDIT: A bit old, the new one is soon-ish, but page 18 for the interesting part

https://fas.org/man/eprint/F-35-SAR-2018.pdf

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 6, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Sure. Which is why I checked with my friend before I started tossing strong accusations around.

Nothing you quoted your friend as saying - that yes, the Army constantly trains to shoot accurately - is a direct refutation of an observation that in practice the standards of training and doctrine are not lived up to, and that troops in combat "spray and pray.".

How did this become some sort of discussion where an "accusation" is even warranted?

You know, I'll bet that if I went over what I did when I was in you could probably find some times where I did things in combat that didn't line up with what is printed in FMs or official doctrines. You going to throw some accusations my way when I post about them?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 6, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mazz posted:

I guess there is some hope that between the USMC, the RN, and now Japan the F-35B will eventually get sorted out. As per the more recent SARs, it's numbers are more impressive than you'd expect. A 35B off a 600ft LHD outperforms the 18A-D off a full CVN in terms of range and payload, pretty significantly in fact, and the ski jump should make that slightly better on top. It still has a lot of hill to climb on cost and reliability though.

EDIT: A bit old, the new one is soon-ish, but page 18 for the interesting part

https://fas.org/man/eprint/F-35-SAR-2018.pdf

I don't doubt the 35B will be an effective aircraft eventually, but the Royal Navy was sold on it being available before the Harrier was retired. The trouble was between Pigfucker Cameron's RAF-friendly defense review and Lockheed's overenthusiasm the RN ended up holding an empty bag than required them to send deck crews to loving Lamoore to practice carrier ops while they waited several years for the first 35s to be delivered. God even knows if the British 35s are combat capable yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

Nothing you quoted your friend as saying - that yes, the Army constantly trains to shoot accurately - is a direct refutation of an observation that in practice the standards of training and doctrine are not lived up to, and that troops in combat "spray and pray.".

How did this become some sort of discussion where an "accusation" is even warranted?

Because the exact words used were Broadly speaking you're trained to point your weapon at what you want to kill and shoot in full auto and hope for the best. and it's the claim that training is to mainly use full-auto fire that I plainly don't believe. I know I can get really argumentative over small things, but like... I thought this claim was really dumb and misinformed?

I can probably try to come out less strong about these things in the future???