Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Overall joining your union is better than not joining it because atleast you can get a pulse on what's going on in your industry through newsletters ect.

At most you can unionise the workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in AEU but due to the nature of what I do the union's focus is rarely on issues that are affecting me and others like me (school service officers in paraprofessional roles). Last EB agreement they came up with some promise that certain aspects would be reviewed and changed. 3 years later and I'd heard nothing about it and had pretty much given up, and out of nowhere a bunch of really decent changes to policies and guidelines got pushed to the intranet, I'm getting my first PD review in literally a decade. It did happen eventually, and what I keep in mind rather than being pissed off at how slow it was, it's not just about me, it's about the people who will come after me too who will benefit from these changes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Maybe going to Townsville as part of the QFES response team. Mud city.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

tithin posted:

Likewise, the FSU.

my workplace, a bank, somehow has coverage from both the FSU (whom i have never seen or heard from, but are mentioned in the EBA), and the ASU who currently have a rep sitting in the lunchroom and was unannounced and are sitting playing on their mobile phone.

how does dual representation even work, do they dilute each others bargaining power?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I hope the CFMEU eats all of the other unions and guillotines the SDA and leads all workers to organise and negotiate at a nationwide level

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

TheMightyHandful posted:

my workplace, a bank, somehow has coverage from both the FSU (whom i have never seen or heard from, but are mentioned in the EBA), and the ASU who currently have a rep sitting in the lunchroom and was unannounced and are sitting playing on their mobile phone.

how does dual representation even work, do they dilute each others bargaining power?

I'm in a similar position. I'm professionally staff at a uni. My options are NTEU (who represent academic and professional staff )or CPSU. I went with NTEU because it makes sense for the academics and professional staff to be putting up a united front. Also I believe CPSU has previously caved when EBAs came up and the NTEU held out and won more rights.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

I hope the CFMEU eats all of the other unions and guillotines the SDA and leads all workers to organise and negotiate at a nationwide level

I would rather not see other effective unions in non-construction industries subsumed by the CFMEU.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TheMightyHandful posted:

I honestly have no idea, my current employer (for the remainder of this week) only recognises the FSU, and they're abso-loving-lutely useless.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Steve Holt! posted:

So basically any time Labor attempts to do anything in parliament it's a political game, got it.

Conservative MO. Accuse others of your own failings.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Endman posted:

unions of the world unite!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Gridlocked posted:

Maybe going to Townsville as part of the QFES response team. Mud city.

I got asked to be part of the Lifeline team to be deployed, but I can't as I have a major deadline next week and I can't push it back.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

I honestly have no idea, my current employer (for the remainder of this week) only recognises the FSU, and they're abso-loving-lutely useless.

?!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
didn't cmfeu come out in support of the adani mine awhile back. it makes sense i guess if very shortsighted but it's still pretty lovely

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

After the royal commission tithin decided to announce his Retirement

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

firing gun emoji

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knorth posted:

didn't cmfeu come out in support of the adani mine awhile back. it makes sense i guess if very shortsighted but it's still pretty lovely

They continue to apply pressure to the ALP to leave it alone.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

firing gun emoji

Ouch, sorry mate.

No good news coming out of that place.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

JBP posted:

They continue to apply pressure to the ALP to leave it alone.

Yeah, they seem to just want it to play out how it plays out kinda like QLD Labor seems to be approaching it. They have raised the issue before the Batman by election that alienating Central Queensland voters and losing seats there to retain Batman doesn't help the party at all. Haven't heard much more since really.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thanks to Korgan for making these.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

tithin posted:

Thanks to Korgan for making these.

I didn't make them dude, I stole them like I steal bear memes

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Korgan posted:

I didn't make them dude, I stole them like I steal bear memes

Too late, I told them that you made it

you wouldn't make a liar out of me now, would you?

also; you should post more bears

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
wheres the best place to do a sparky pre-app these days?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Uhhhh does anyone know enough to comment on this, because uhh lol..

https://www.change.org/p/federal-treasurer-josh-frydenberg-save-the-mortgage-broking-industry

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

If the govt. loses a vote in the House of Reps and ScroMo "simply ignores it" rather than call an election, wouldn't there immediately be a motion of no confidence, and wouldn't the government certainly lose it, and then there'd be an election anyway? Am I missing anything here?

Like just because one guy decides to ignore convention, doesn't mean they're all going to.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I don't see why they'd certainly lose it. That would be up to the independents, who AFAIK still don't want to bring down the government.

But I guess this close to an election you never know.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Depends how pissed McGowan might be with the govt.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I mean the basics are that the RC recommends that mortgage brokers no longer be paid by the lender, but instead the borrower. Currently, a broker is paid a commission by a lender for sending a loan their way. This may be based on the total size of the mortgage (including interest), meaning that it is commercially beneficial for the broker to send the borrower to a lender where they will be paying more over the life of the loan. Also, different lenders offer different commission structures so they are incentivised to promote whichever lender offers a better commission to them, rather than a better service to the borrower.

Changing this would be an existential threat to the mortgage broker industry because the number of people who would choose to go to a broker with a $5-10k fee, instead of just going on a market comparison site and applying directly to whichever lender that points them to, is approximately zero.

There’s an argument to be made that it will reduce competition by making it much harder for smaller lenders to attract borrowers, but gently caress mortgage brokers.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

tithin posted:

firing gun emoji

Hopefully you got a golden parachute, friend. Or maybe just a parachute.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wheezle posted:

I don't see why they'd certainly lose it. That would be up to the independents, who AFAIK still don't want to bring down the government.

But I guess this close to an election you never know.

Right, because they know they might be out too.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

I mean the basics are that the RC recommends that mortgage brokers no longer be paid by the lender, but instead the borrower. Currently, a broker is paid a commission by a lender for sending a loan their way. This may be based on the total size of the mortgage (including interest), meaning that it is commercially beneficial for the broker to send the borrower to a lender where they will be paying more over the life of the loan. Also, different lenders offer different commission structures so they are incentivised to promote whichever lender offers a better commission to them, rather than a better service to the borrower.

Changing this would be an existential threat to the mortgage broker industry because the number of people who would choose to go to a broker with a $5-10k fee, instead of just going on a market comparison site and applying directly to whichever lender that points them to, is approximately zero.

There’s an argument to be made that it will reduce competition by making it much harder for smaller lenders to attract borrowers, but gently caress mortgage brokers.

Thanks for that, I saw it and my initial reaction was lol no, but then I realised it was an LNP royal commission on behalf of the banks so I wasn't sure so figured I'd ask.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Most of not all banks have recently changed commission structure from the funding amount to the drawn amount. (Brokers getting their clients to borrow $1m, drawing down say $100k and still getting the commission on the whole $1m.) as you can imagine the outrage was hilarious.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Aunty in Queensland is sharing Fraser Anning posts about "rargh we gave money to Indonesia why don't they give us money for the floods rargh" and Anning being a complete Nazi loving screwball aside, what kind of piece of poo poo do you have to be to make such demands, seriously.

I follow Higgins Storm Chasing on Facebook, it's full of Queenslanders. I read comments masochistically out of a futile hope to witness rednecks beginning to connect the dots on climate change, only to see such thoughts crushed by angry Blundstones.

What I find instead particularly with Townsville is 800 billion varieties of "When will Indonesia send us money?" and "I'll bet the government keeps sending money overseas instead of to true blue underwater rinky dinks?" and "Pray for rain down south, southern Queensland I mean." or they tease me with stuff like "Wish that drat global warming never going to rain again would kick in. Can someone call flannerry" but todays winner is

Janet "Bovine" Consequences posted:

"Rather than complain you should all be praying to the one true God he is the Author of life. The sins of the nation affect the land and Qld has allowed abortion in by politicians andnwe are all responsible. Every drop of blood shed affects our land in a spiritual consequence. We reap what we sow."

Fraser Anning is absolutely typical of the trash floating around up there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

I would rather not see other effective unions in non-construction industries subsumed by the CFMEU.

You're right.

I hope the ANMF eats all of the other unions, guillotines the SDA and leads all workers to organise and negotiate at a nationwide level.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

They read like sovereign citizen posts on facebook

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've got a friend who's a broker and he's spamming angry articles on Facebook like crazy

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Find me an industry that would survive on 33% of its gross sales"

:catstare:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheMightyHandful posted:

They read like sovereign citizen posts on facebook

If you think Broker Own Zone is great, wait until you see the post-ALP win Boomer Own Zone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My credits! :chanpop:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

quote:

By now you have most probably read and heard through various media outlets the findings released on Monday afternoon, on the Royal Commission into the Banking & Finance Industry.
What appears to have happened, is the banks (especially our 4 major banks), have walked away scot free, whilst the Mortgage Broking Industry could be destroyed with recommendations to change our remuneration.

In case you haven't heard, the recommendations are:

Trail Payments - to be abolished from 1st July, 2020 on all new loans written. Existing loans will continue to receive trail payments, but of course as debt reduces, homes are sold, or loans refinanced this amount will reduce significantly in a short space of time.

Upfront Commission Payments - to remain for the time being, but be reviewed within 3 years, with a recommendation that commissions be replaced by a flat fee paid our the consumer (yes, a payment that you would have to pay to use our services).

All these recommendations will do is (1) ruin the brokering industry as we will not be financially viable (2) give power back to the major lenders who have the biggest branch networks and (3) increase the profits of the 4 major banks, as they will not be handing out interest rate reductions, they in fact may even increase rates as there will be less competition in the marketplace.

I (our industry) needs your support if we can ask for it. We need to be able to show the current Government and any future Government, how important it is for competition that the broker industry remains viable. Our industry directly employs over 27,000 people, without allowing for other businesses that could be affected as well.

Can I please ask for your support (and that of your friends and relatives if you could share), to electronically sign the attached petition (link below to use), to help save the broker industry which is facing possible destruction.

Just got this today from my mortgage broker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How much do brokers make on average, and little do they actually work?