Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

Like Batman and the joker, you can't have one without the other:

Is this one of those magnetic bikes? Or just Australian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

What did I do to my fresh phat funky GN 125 today. I cut a slot in the bottom allen-head exhaust flange bolt because the inside rusted out to the point where it will no longer hold a hex head socket. My rotting exhaust replacement depends on this being successful.

Tomorrow I attack the bolt with a slotted impact bit and great hope. Salute!

I wish I had a blowtorch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Threw a bigass windscreen on.

In my defence, it's really loving cold right now.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 20, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Renaissance Robot posted:

Threw a bigass windscreen on.

In my defence, it's really loving cold right now.

I really dig that actually, what kind is it?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
National Cycle Plexistar 2. They do slimmer, sportier stuff as well, but I specifically wanted something with handguards.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Renaissance Robot posted:

National Cycle Plexistar 2. They do slimmer, sportier stuff as well, but I specifically wanted something with handguards.

Awesome! I already have a national cycle deflector dx or something like that, but I want something more substantial. I won't even have to change the mounting prong holder thingies.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Follow-up to the last post:

I had a spare set of plastics that I decided to hit with bronze plasti-dip since they were a chalky black and had iron crosses on them. Not exactly my style.
<pics>

Won't the plasti-dip rub off where your legs touch the tank? I've found that plasti-dip is neat but even light rubbing over time will peel it off...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Won't the plasti-dip rub off where your legs touch the tank? I've found that plasti-dip is neat but even light rubbing over time will peel it off...

Same here, I put a tank bib (it's a cruiser, it fits) on my bike after I plastidipped it to protect it. They can probably get some rubber knee pads, the adhesive should stick to the plastidip pretty well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I might slap some knee pads on there like the other plastics have. Gonna be a minute until I can ride again anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Day one trip report: haha goddamn I forgot how loving loud fairing turbulence is. It's big enough to hide myself completely behind if I crouch, but if I want to sit comfortably I'll probably need to look into a laminar lip at some point [next winter].

Kept me warm and dry at least!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

got rid of a mirror (gonna put a lo pro CRG on the left eventually) and washed all the mud off it :D

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My '66 Ducati 250 needs new wires

So I bought it a new wiring harness!

It doesn't fit very well, though. Lots of extra wires.

I grabbed a 90s suburban's wiring harness from the junk yard and stripped it for colored wire because even the most inexpensive roll of wire isn't cheaper than me. It seems good enough for several projects so far, time will tell if it was worth the hassle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm on like my fourth donor harness at this point, gently caress buying like fifty different colored wires.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

My '66 Ducati 250 needs new wires
I'm not sure there's a goondolences solemn enough for this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you for arranging the wires in ROYGBIV so I didn’t have to yell at you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seemed like the best way to do it. I thought about putting 50 holes in a piece of PVC but a coffee can full of rolls seems to work fine.

Upgraded wires, installed a new battery and USB charger on the triumph.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

What did I do to my fresh phat funky GN 125 today. I cut a slot in the bottom allen-head exhaust flange bolt because the inside rusted out to the point where it will no longer hold a hex head socket. My rotting exhaust replacement depends on this being successful.

Tomorrow I attack the bolt with a slotted impact bit and great hope. Salute!

I wish I had a blowtorch.

This GN 125 is turning me into the ultimate PO, if there will even be a next one for this poor little bike.

The head of that bolt sheared off. The exhaust can now be removed, but it can only be secured with a single bolt at the flange. My only options now are to ride it as is, or use the half-inch of bolt sticking out from the head to continue to work on it, cutting out another slot...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got a blowtorch? Alternatively one of those rotating clamp type stud extractors might make things easier.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Received my aliexpress chain breaker and the riveter tip seems sheared off. It looks identical to the motion pro product so I think I can order this replacement tip and be set for using a rivet master link

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slide Hammer posted:

This GN 125 is turning me into the ultimate PO, if there will even be a next one for this poor little bike.

The head of that bolt sheared off. The exhaust can now be removed, but it can only be secured with a single bolt at the flange. My only options now are to ride it as is, or use the half-inch of bolt sticking out from the head to continue to work on it, cutting out another slot...

You turned a bolt into a stud. Just clean the threads up and put a nut on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Received my aliexpress chain breaker and the riveter tip seems sheared off. It looks identical to the motion pro product so I think I can order this replacement tip and be set for using a rivet master link

Interestingly I've got this and it also uses the motion pro pattern for the pins. The original breaker pins lasted me about five years even after being bent/shortened by me. Eventually I caved in and got a full replacement set of actual motion pro pins and they all broke on the first use, so now I've only got the riveter but that seems to be sufficient for both breaking and riveting :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mewse posted:

Don't bother. You'll break that one too. They're single use.

Just pay the money and get the RK Excel Chain Breaker tool. I've done at least a hundred chains with mine and never had a problem with it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't bother. You'll break that one too. They're single use.

Just pay the money and get the RK Excel Chain Breaker tool. I've done at least a hundred chains with mine and never had a problem with it.

:tif:

clipped master link it is

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mewse posted:

:tif:

clipped master link it is

FWIW I've only ever used clip master links and never had a problem out of one. I've also never known anyone IRL to have a problem with a chain caused by the clip master link. That said, I do carry a spare link and tool with me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rivet type are objectively better but on small bikes and dirt bikes the clip can be convenient. The only problem with rivet links is most of the chain tools out there are loving terrible.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Got a blowtorch? Alternatively one of those rotating clamp type stud extractors might make things easier.

Nope... I just found out about those butane ones. But I didn't want to wait for one to arrive; bike has already been down a month. But now I just made things worse for myself.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You turned a bolt into a stud. Just clean the threads up and put a nut on it.

Not enough material! The flange itself is half an inch thick. (About 10 mm) It's flush with the newly-anointed stud.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Rivet type are objectively better but on small bikes and dirt bikes the clip can be convenient. The only problem with rivet links is most of the chain tools out there are loving terrible.
Seriously, it's amazing how hard it is to find the good ones. It doesn't seem to be a question of price. We've tried a bunch at the shop and disliked most. Got a Motion Pro Jumbo right now which seems to work good but it's kind of overly complicated I think. But at least it's beefy enough, we've had several that just bent when trying to mushroom rivets.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah there is literally no correlation between price and quality for some reason. Having said that I've never used any of the super fancy $350+ ones but gently caress paying that much for a chain riveter of all things.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Yeah there is literally no correlation between price and quality for some reason. Having said that I've never used any of the super fancy $350+ ones but gently caress paying that much for a chain riveter of all things.

If you're spending more than $150 on a rivet tool then you're doing it wrong.
I think I paid $120 shipped for my RK after my Motion Pro broke. It was so good it wound up being the only one all 3 mechanics in my shop used for like a whole year.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How the gently caress are y'all bending riveters? I've used the same lovely STOCKTON TOOL one for like, a decade (identical to the Aliexpress one). I do grind the heads off before I push them through but mostly cause I'm not an rear end in a top hat and it's like 30 seconds with an angle grinder. Beyond that, it's press on the side plate, run the rivet spreader attachment until it's just barely flush with the head of the rivet and you're done. I've even once accidentally split the top of the rivet cause I overdid it with the tool, still never hosed up the riveter or bent the tool itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You lucked out and got a decent tool.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the harbor freight one and it’s been great :iiam:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Done a dozen or so chains with my motionpro and never had a problem.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I have evidence of a broken clip type master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-3uLPmC2w

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Got some new toys for the R6

Also bought a set of Michelin Power RS for the upcoming season. Tough decision between the conti Sport Attack 2 and these, but I figured since I have the contis on the KTM Supermoto I'll give these Michelins a try.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

new pegs :D

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that oil cap thing reverse threaded?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

-1 tooth sprocket on the front, rebuilt R1 rear shock in the back, chain cleaned and adjusted and speedo healer installed.

Those two mods have made it feel like a totally different bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I looked at the bike today. That's about it.

I had to figure out the type of mount to get for my Beeline :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ridebeeline/beeline-moto-smart-navigation-for-motorcycles-made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finished the oil change! Threads seemed fine, though there was some gluey yellow goop at the base; hit everything with degreaser and a rag and oiled up the threads and o-ring for the new filter.

It's probably just my imagination, but unf that new oil feel, so smooth :circlefap: