Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Celeste is a weak copy of Journey. Inferior graphics, music, gameplay and story.

journey is more like mario 64 than celeste, are you stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Celeste is all right but I'm tired of every new game/album/movie that comes out and tackles certain subjects matters being called brave. Like fiction suddenly didn't have themes and parables until now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ChazTurbo posted:

Celeste is all right but I'm tired of every new game/album/movie that comes out and tackles certain subjects matters being called brave. Like fiction suddenly didn't have themes and parables until now.

What's brave about it? It's just touching, is all. It's a game about overcoming self-doubt, it's pretty simple.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like the game where everyone is bugs

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

celeste is actually about jumping on platforms, the sad girl parts are a mild distraction between the platforms

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Celeste was alright- I didn't play it but I watched my girlfriend give it a go. I like the part where you have that hipster guy in the crystal to kick around as a puzzle-solving tool and sometimes he'll just shout "I'm helping!". That really got me cracking up every time for some reason.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What's brave about it? It's just touching, is all. It's a game about overcoming self-doubt, it's pretty simple.

Note to self: don’t play Celeste.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sim Ant was pretty cool.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

sebmojo posted:

:unsmith: c64 was the best version

Absofuckinglutely! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPrS426ims

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Sim Ant was pretty cool.

gently caress yeah it was I still have it complete on floppy disk somewhere

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh yeah hollow knight is excellent

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Alright guys I think I figured this RPG poo poo out

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 6, 2019

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the only "real" rpg. is progress quest

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh yeah, Journey, posterchild for the monomyth

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. But Journey is definitely the monomyth.

Caesar Saladin posted:

journey is more like mario 64 than celeste, are you stupid?

No, but you are.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. But Journey is definitely the monomyth.

Do go on! :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All video game narratives can be boiled down to three sources: The Hero's Journey, The Charge of the Light Brigade, and America's Funniest Home Videos.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Dennis System posted:

Note to self: don’t play Celeste.

Your abstinence shall be marked with turd-shaped totem. Post on, my smelly comrade.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Charge of the Light Brigade

this is Journey

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
The gamecube is nintendo's best console, and it isn't even close.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

poverty goat posted:

right now in japan some nerds are arguing that the only true RPGs are JRPGs because they were mostly exposed to those games instead of DnD knockoffs as gamer larvae. obviously it cant be a rpg unless it cribbed these features from final fantasy, anything else is a WRPG at best

Interestingly, Final Fantasy is totally a D&D knockoff. I wish I could find a better article on it that I read years ago, but here's a good one anyway that goes over a lot of it: http://finalfantasy.istad.org/2013/01/final-fantasy-vs-dnd/

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 6, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It straight steals from the bestiary including some of its weird quirks and incorrect pictures and information, much less how the magic system works.

The battle designer says they were inspired by american football.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Barudak posted:

It straight steals from the bestiary including some of its weird quirks and incorrect pictures and information, much less how the magic system works.

Check that article, at the bottom they go through the Final fantasy 1 bestiary and cross-reference every single enemy in the game to the AD&D monster manual and fiend folio.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, whatever. DnD is kind of made to serve as a foundation for a new adventure story it's just that Final Fantasy injected anime into it and took it off the tabletop and made their own story. Which is a Really Good Things for some people, especially shut-ins, since DnD is a social experience. It's still hard to find good DnD groups and that's with the internet!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

they had to change the beholder in ff1 American release to "evil eye" and change the art because the copyright infringement was too blatant lol

it's kind of interesting, red mages are obviously supposed to be Bards from d&d. but in later FF games the red mages evolves into it's own thing and they introduce a seperate bard class.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tetris is an RPG

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually funnily enough Tetris isn't an RPG, even though the term RPG is broad enough to include basically anything. There's no world, no story, no character, no roles. It's one of, what, 3 games ever that are definitively not a RPG.

Of course I'm sure there's some way to twist it and say that you're playing some sort of a role within the world or whatever, but it's as much an RPG as a dice roll in a void imo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tetris is a rogue-like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Tetris is a rogue-like

Rogue is a tetris-like

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKKRbw-e4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqT8s7bOTQ

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Rogue is a tetris-like

no, rogue is a chess variant

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

jokes posted:

Actually funnily enough Tetris isn't an RPG, even though the term RPG is broad enough to include basically anything. There's no world, no story, no character, no roles. It's one of, what, 3 games ever that are definitively not a RPG.

Of course I'm sure there's some way to twist it and say that you're playing some sort of a role within the world or whatever, but it's as much an RPG as a dice roll in a void imo.

The term "role-playing game" comes from its use in pen and paper rpgs such as dungeons and dragons, and the terms "connotation" and "jargon" should be learned by you

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sometimes, in an rpg you're a gandalf wizard and there are menus, sometimes you're an anime guy sword guy with menus, like whats not to get?

and before you're like "What about this game with menus?" just ask your heart if its an rpg and you'll know the answer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

sometimes, in an rpg you're a gandalf wizard and there are menus, sometimes you're an anime guy sword guy with menus, like whats not to get?

and before you're like "What about this game with menus?" just ask your heart if its an rpg and you'll know the answer

Train Simulator is definitely a Railway Planning Game, agreed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Tetris is an RPG

I play the game by rolling the pieces. Clockwise.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i heard a rpg is where u build a base and make units and then fight a war with another army. its called a Role Playing Game cause u play the role of the commander

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Use you words or :getout:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 6, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jimmyjams posted:

i heard a rpg is where u build a base and make units and then fight a war with another army. its called a Role Playing Game cause u play the role of the commander

no that's called a Rocket Propelled Grenade

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
madden is an RPG.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Espn nfl 2k5 is the best American football game I've played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

All sports games are RPGs. Hell, some sports are RPGs. People have been making money off baseball by reading numbers for years, I don't even think they have to watch the actual game at all.