Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

PSA are awesome and listening to Chapo is exactly like reading the Dems are a waste thread. So if you liked that thread then you’ll probably like chapo. PSA is more like the old Trump threads.

which part did you find most inspiring, the part where they said "the limit of what you should expect from healthcare is that using it won't bankrupt you" or the part where they told Elizabeth Warren "no, seriously, tell donald trump a test says you're 1/365th native american, then he'll have to stop calling you pocahontas as an insult"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Re: Bill Gates
Early on during the first Lula government in Brazil, the Brazilian government had developed a low cost PC that would run on a version of Linux and cost $250 (which at the time was a bargain for a computer in Brazil) and be purchased by the Brazilian government and distributed to public school students. It was such a no brainer that it was called the "MP do bem," the "good law" essentially. Then microsoft put on a full court press, the project got stuck in limbo for years and went nowhere. Then the 16 impeachment happened and one of the first things to follow was to replace linux in the project with windows, and make it substantially more expensive.

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013

Perhaps you're not being serious, but there's nothing communist about this vague garbage involving shadowy oligarchs and evil corporations ruining the purity of our democracy. If you're actually taken in by this poo poo you're as credulous as oprah.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tl;dr: if you're cool and smart you like chapo and if you love to chug poo poo 24 hours a day PSA is the pod for you!

:hmmyes:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Bill Gates's charter schools "philanthropy" runs on a funds matching basis, which is to say: he is actively working to defund public schools. gently caress him.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Moon Shrimp posted:

Perhaps you're not being serious, but there's nothing communist about this vague garbage involving shadowy oligarchs and evil corporations ruining the purity of our democracy. If you're actually taken in by this poo poo you're as credulous as oprah.

I mean, I don't know what the gently caress she's talking about but calling billionaires "oligarchs" is something we can all get behind.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
So if I've got yesterday's developments down correctly, Klobuchar is def running, Beto is inching back in and Warren's biggest flaw just went back on the front burner. Not great, but at least Bernie might have his lane to himself.

Is there any other prospective lefty who might jump in?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DynamicSloth posted:

, Beto is inching back in

That's all he needs to cramp your calves

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
PSA is a ‘great’ podcast as a window into the liberals-pretending-to-be-leftists thought process. They’re completely out of touch with the average person (it’s almost comical how clueless they are to their own stations in life), but they’re extremely well-connected to the party. I find it useful listening to keep in mind the limits of what to expect from the dems and their framing often predicts what the party ends up doing.

On the recent chapo, one of the dudes said he listens to every episode to ‘see what’s going on’ and that’s basically where I stand on it. It helps me understand where some of my coworkers and extended friends are at, which also helps me talk to them on certain issues.

In any event, they’re going to be annoying relevant for the primary because they’re going to be the encapsulation of certain voting constituencies (Harris, especially).

edit: it’s also very funny when they’re confronted with bad things from the Obama administration. Lovett (the Jon from the health care clip) got ruined on his show by Melina Abdullah and it was hilarious to listen to. It also sparks comments like this from the FRIENDS OF THE POD:

quote:

Melina is part of the reason blm doesn’t get more traction. Yes the treatment of black people is poor and we all need to fight to change it but it’s not the only issue in America and I’m sorry but the people you need to persuade (those somewhat center right) are NOT going to listen to your argument the way you state it. No one has ever changed someone’s ideas by jamming something down their throat. Education, sharing and engagement are better than the gently caress you I’m right approach she seems to take.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 6, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

and her name is T-na

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheBalor posted:

I mean, I don't know what the gently caress she's talking about but calling billionaires "oligarchs" is something we can all get behind.

:hmmyes:

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
So Harris plan yesterday was a gigantic flop. I didn't see or heard of anyone anywhere at all talking about her pre-SOTU response.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really have trouble caring about this 'scandal' since it seems like she was told when she was younger that she had Native heritage and believed that until she was corrected on it. It's being overblown and she has apologized for misunderstanding it. I don't think finding out that she had many years back claimed that heritage really changes anything since we already know this.

Writing "Native American" in the Race box doesn't mean you're "claiming Native American heritage". It means that you, yourself, are personally claiming that you're predominantly Native American.

Brony Car posted:

I suppose you could argue that there's no benefit to her in this since it was a question solely for statistical purposes, but it still feeds pretty well into the narrative that the right wing has been forming for her. There's something that just seems so opportunistic about this even if you cannot draw a step-by-step link to how it might have benefitted her to claim a minority status.

There's no need to buy into the right-wing framing to criticize it. She's appropriating minority identity, and trivializing the struggles they face and the things that make them who they are. Even as she claimed to be more native than white, she showed little to no understanding of Native American issues, did not involve herself with Native communities in any way, and did nothing to address the problems they face even when she became a politician.

Regardless of whether she materially benefited from it, the fact remains that she trivialized a minority identity for the sake of making herself feel special.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Luckyellow posted:

So Harris plan yesterday was a gigantic flop. I didn't see or heard of anyone anywhere at all talking about her pre-SOTU response.

She's running "against Bernie" and she knows it. She had to do something, a prebuttal just wasn't it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

So here's my reaction to this.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1092547794357927936

I don't think Bernie is being disrespectful to Stacey Abrams, I think that's an unfair attack which I've seen on my twitter feed.

But I do think he should do it the next day, instead of later that night after she speaks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1093009735224315905

https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/status/1092884660558942208

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1093007267329462272

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I can’t believe Bernie interrupted all of those women.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

i am the bird posted:

I can’t believe Bernie interrupted all of those women.

The Root posted:

Hey, Bernie Sanders Can You STFU After the SOTU and Let Stacey Abrams Shine?
I thought after the “Bernie Bros.” reportedly ditched their liberal persona and voted for Donald Trump in an effort to “bern” Hillary Clinton that everyone had learned their lesson and informally agreed to play nice.

As it stands, we’ve got an orange demigod in the White House who needs to be sent packing in 2020. Bernie Sanders may run as a Democrat in 2020 and would most likely be one of the top choices next to California Sen. Kamala Harris and the pride of New Jersey, Sen. Cory Booker. So why the hell is Bernie Sanders giving his own rebuttal to the president’s State of the Union address when the Democratic Party has already tapped former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams to give the official Democratic response?

Sure, America’s favorite disheveled math teacher has always given his own response on Facebook Live since Trump’s been in office, but this year should be different. For one, the Dems have chosen a fresh-faced star who came with an an inchworm’s eyelash of becoming the first black female governor in U.S. history. Even though Sanders is slated to give his speech-lette after Abrams, the optics of this aren’t helping Sanders at all considering he’s holding his own shindig that many see as upstaging a black woman’s moment.

Sanders is the kid that kicks it with the jocks but lightweight talks poo poo about them when he isn’t around them. He’s the drama kid that doesn’t want to be called a dramaturge in public. He caucuses with the Dems but then points out to anyone who asks that he’s an independent. At this point, I kind of want Sanders to have all the seats. I want Sanders to rent a bus and then sit in any seat he likes. Now would’ve been a nice time for him to sit his rear end down and let a black woman handle this because she’s got it covered. It also would’ve shown that he is willing to play nicely with those in the party that he keeps wanting everything and nothing to do with.

CNN’s Editor-at-large Chris Cillizza also found Sanders separate SOTU after party to be a bad move:

All of which brings me to this: Within a not-insignificant chunk of the Democratic Party, there is some leftover ill will toward Sanders for his role in the 2016 campaign and lingering doubts as to the firmness of his commitment to the Democratic Party.

Given that, why, why, why would you choose to deliver your OWN SOTU response? Why not just let Abrams handle it? Why put yourself out as special and different from the party you want to lead in 2020 — especially when you know people in that party already have doubts about how firmly committed you are to it?

What Sanders is doing by giving his very own SOTU response is sending a very clear sign that he’s different than the rest of the Democrats running for office. I’m in my own party and I’ll give my own State of the Union response!

That will please his loyalists to no end. The problem for Sanders is that in a field filled with major Democratic heavyweights — and rising stars — is that simply being a liberal alternative to the establishment (in the form of Clinton in 2016) won’t likely be enough.

But who are we to stop the Bernie Sanders bus that seems to roll how it wants? So if this is the move he’s making then have at it, but I assure you it’s the wrong play on a stage where a black woman will own the night. Just because you’ve always done something doesn’t mean you have to keep doing it. No one would have balked if Bernie Sanders sat this one out but he couldn’t, which makes me think that this “independent” name chain that Sanders wears when it suits him is really just a ploy to do what he wants. But it would be nice if he knew when to stand down.

And trust me, Sanders is going to learn the hard way that the last group of voters you want to offend are black women.

The comments are even more anti-Bernie. Seems he still has some resentment attributed to him.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Coredump posted:

The comments are even more anti-Bernie. Seems he still has some resentment attributed to him.

So nice of that guy to put wild unsubstantiated bullshit in the first paragraph of his article so you know it’s not worth reading

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
We would still be hearing about those goddamned Obama Bros if Hillary had won the 2008 primary and then lost the general election.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Imagine using Chris Cilizza's opinion as a supporting argument for anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is a portion of the party that just hates Bernie irrationally and reflexively. It's going to be a problem for him if he gets in.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Coredump posted:

The root is disingenuously anti Bernie. During the ga primaries they claimed that Bernie Bros were behind the Stacy Evans campaign (the white Stacy who did the ad where she face melds into MLK). Except our revolution had already endorsed Abrams, Nina Turner gave a speech during Abrams' campaign launch, and all Bernie affiliated organizations were with her (including Bernie soon after). None of which got mentioned as they claimed it was all a Bernie bro thing.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Verus posted:

We would still be hearing about those goddamned Obama Bros if Hillary had won the 2008 primary and then lost the general election.

Excuse me, but they were the Obama Boys.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

There is a portion of the party that just hates Bernie irrationally and reflexively. It's going to be a problem for him if he gets in.
They are just a loud group. I don’t think they are a real concern.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't believe any of you were even posting on the day of the SOTU rebuttal, let Abrams speak

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I can't believe any of you were even posting on the day of the SOTU rebuttal, let Abrams speak
Never

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Root is basically black Gawker, iirc.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mcmagic posted:

counterpoint: gently caress the reagan/clinton democrats

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

counterpoint: gently caress the reagan/clinton democrats

I don't disagree with that at all. I don't think that is the only group that hates Bernie though. The hate I'm seeing for him doesn't appear too ideological.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are just a loud group. I don’t think they are a real concern.

yeah maybe if they didn't have the DNC, the media, and the MIC/intelligence community on their side

i expect the Bernie hate to be the worst its ever been this cycle

remember, the Democrat Party would rather lose to Trump than win with a progressive. Trump is seen as a temporary problem to them, a Bernie style takeover is seen as existential

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i am the bird posted:

PSA is a ‘great’ podcast as a window into the liberals-pretending-to-be-leftists thought process. They’re completely out of touch with the average person (it’s almost comical how clueless they are to their own stations in life), but they’re extremely well-connected to the party. I find it useful listening to keep in mind the limits of what to expect from the dems and their framing often predicts what the party ends up doing.

On the recent chapo, one of the dudes said he listens to every episode to ‘see what’s going on’ and that’s basically where I stand on it. It helps me understand where some of my coworkers and extended friends are at, which also helps me talk to them on certain issues.

In any event, they’re going to be annoying relevant for the primary because they’re going to be the encapsulation of certain voting constituencies (Harris, especially).

edit: it’s also very funny when they’re confronted with bad things from the Obama administration. Lovett (the Jon from the health care clip) got ruined on his show by Melina Abdullah and it was hilarious to listen to. It also sparks comments like this from the FRIENDS OF THE POD:

I always thought it was weird how people like the PSA folks and more specifically Ezra are described/describe themselves as 'wonks' when they really don't seem interested in technocratic knowledge at all. Like Ezra doesn't seem interested in policy or social science per se at all. He and others like him seem interested in centrist consensus building for its own sake, in order to maintain and protect the class position of white collar knowledge professionals. Something like Obamacare was good because it was the product of centrist consensus building with professional, upper middle class elites at the center, and for no other reason whatsoever. The specifics seem completely irrelevant. The latest Weeds episode is a great example, where they're talking about M4A and Ezra literally does not understand why Bernie people start with a specific policy they want to enact and then build their politics around that. Why you would want a specific thing, instead of just validation and buy-in from the upper-middle-class on literally anything, just seems like a totally alien thought process. That's like the opposite of how 'wonkery'/technocracy should work based on those words' definitions

Yglesias on the other DOES seem actually interested in policy and social science, although he is insufferable as a person

The PSA guy going Jordan Peterson sob-mode over how the specifics of healthcare plans are an invalid grounds for critique and contestation is a perfect example. You cannot criticize the professional-consultant-class over policy specifics. Their right to rule is categorical and absolute.

I feel like you could take this in a Foucauldian knowledge-as-power direction, which is ironic because centrist libs love the Orwell-style, totalitarianism theory "Power over Truth is Fascism" stuff and have revived that in a big way in the last few years. The whole discourse is 100% projection I think, and always has been

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 6, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gresh posted:

yeah maybe if they didn't have the DNC, the media, and the MIC/intelligence community on their side

remember, the Democrat Party would rather lose to Trump than win with a progressive. Trump is seen as a temporary problem to them, a Bernie style takeover is seen as existential
If the DNC would rather give the election to Trump than back Bernie as the nominee then we need to take the party over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gresh posted:

Bernie-Jesus is going to take all the slings and arrows so that the AOCs of this world will be able to take over the party.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie is letting all these clown car candidates have their own press cycles. He’s an honorable communist monster!

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Can't wait for more "bernie bro" nonsense, sexism charges, and a full on disinformation/fake news smear campaign by repulsive russiagaters accusing him of being a Russian asset or useful Kremlin idiot... similar to whats happening to Gabbard right now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I’m glad it is acknowledged there is a genuine hate machine and it must be destroyed.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/murphymike/status/1093185242397962240

Amy Klobuchar: The candidate GOP pundits/strategists love

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gresh posted:

remember, the Democrat Party would rather

where are people learning to say "Democrat Party" that isn't Fox News

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cease to Hope posted:

where are people learning to say "Democrat Party" that isn't Fox News

It’s the Dems are a Waste Crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's going to be endless disingenuous attacks on Bernie, far more than 2016. And as I've said here before, I think it's unlikely that Bernie wins (only path I see is if Biden runs and doesn't immediately collapse). But I also think that the grassroots campaign for Bernie this time around will be substantially larger and more organized than last time around, and that will have ripple effects through politics. There will be far more AOCs coming up because of that.

Which, ironically, shows how the people who complained that Bernie stayed too long last time around didn't get what he was doing. It wasn't about winning the nomination at a certain point, but keeping the mobilization going. Bernie had virtually no chance when the NY primary happened, but him still going is what allowed the network that led to AOC's election to be in place.