Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think Jericho wished he had bought it at that price for the tape library and such, not to actually run the company.

I think it just clicked in my brain, it was a podcast with Bischoff I'm mixing up with the Jericho stuff. I remember Jericho talking about the tape library, and Bischoff talking about WCW being worthless without the network TV deal. It might have even been the two of them together discussing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

Onmi posted:

Yeah, Jericho made comments about how cheap it was, that he might have brought it if he knew it was going for that little. But I doubt he ever intended to run it. It's always been more of a joke.
Cornette has also said he'd have made a play for it just for the tapes, and being one of the world's biggest wrestling nerds I don't think he was kidding at all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Halloween Jack posted:

Cornette has also said he'd have made a play for it just for the tapes, and being one of the world's biggest wrestling nerds I don't think he was kidding at all.

Oh yeah, that rings a bell too! I went through a phase where I listened to Jericho and Cornette's podcasts semi-regularly. (also the Lance Storm/Jackal one) I seem to remember Cornette having Bischoff on once too.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think Cornette ever had bischoff on his show but they appeared together in a wwe network table for 3 episode where they were surprisingly cordial for the most part

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Oh yeah, that rings a bell too! I went through a phase where I listened to Jericho and Cornette's podcasts semi-regularly. (also the Lance Storm/Jackal one) I seem to remember Cornette having Bischoff on once too.

Cornette talks with Bischoff? This I'm shocked to hear.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Cornette talks with Bischoff? This I'm shocked to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpO7BsCcbQc

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 29, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heh, "we both hate Vince Russo so we got along." I love Cornette. I love everybody, though. Thanks for the link.

Bill Watts is another enigma to me as a guy who just knows stories and never watched anything with him or by him. Death of WCW buries him but JR loved him, Cornette apparently liked him.... That's life, I guess.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If someone had bought that tape library for a couple million and really knew how to sell to average wrestling fans and nerds I bet they could have made a killing. I felt what wwe did with it in the early 2000's was decent, some great docs and compilations.

Like, what if a year after wcw shut down the owner started releasing monthly bare bones dvd sets, 2 or 3 discs for $20. The first year do best of Hogan (lol), Flair, Sting. Mix in best of Cactus Jack and Stunning Steve Austin from the early 90's. by 2003 Eddie, Rey, Benoit and Booker were becoming main eventers of the future. Basically most of what wwe did with dvd sets but sooner, a bit cheaper and solely focused on their WCW/JCP careers.

Like why did it take until 2013 or 14 to release a wargames dvd? That should have been a no brainer in the first couple years they started using the library for dvds. As far as I remember it's only Wargames matches and the story explaining its origins, you dont even need to figure out what to include on it like a career retrospective.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A little late to the game, but in 1998, I feel like Steiner and Raven were absolutely ready to move up to the mains.

The thing is, it was a pretty crowded scene.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

A little late to the game, but in 1998, I feel like Steiner and Raven were absolutely ready to move up to the mains.

The thing is, it was a pretty crowded scene.

Raven, yeah. Steiner was getting there, but he hadn't finished evolving into Big Poppa Pump

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There was no WWE Network or even WWE 24/7 on Demand, but WWE clearly knew the library was valuable, I figure that was half the reason they bought it. In that Nitro book they talk about the big meeting at the Power Plant after the final Nitro when WWE fired everyone. The first thing they did in the building was immediately ask where the tape library was and then forbid any WCW employee from entering it for fear they're take/gently caress something up.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tato posted:

There was no WWE Network or even WWE 24/7 on Demand, but WWE clearly knew the library was valuable, I figure that was half the reason they bought it.

Even though there was no Network, DVDs were beginning to boom at that time, and having the tape library of WCW and ECW would give WWE access to everything of significance in the past 20 years(at the time) of wrestling history. They went on to make some fantastic DVD compilations and documentaries out of the footage.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Takuan posted:

Even though there was no Network, DVDs were beginning to boom at that time, and having the tape library of WCW and ECW would give WWE access to everything of significance in the past 20 years(at the time) of wrestling history. They went on to make some fantastic DVD compilations and documentaries out of the footage.

*American wrestling history

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Yes, and had the distribution network to sell them. The mainstream attempts at non WWE released wrestling DVDs other than a couple early ECW releases flopped. WWE got the library cheap for some very specific reasons, and even then it wasn't as cheap as reported because they also had to buy advertising on Turner. AND you couldn't just buy the library for the price Vince bought it for because Vince existed. He'd outbid you. There is a reason Bischoff was the only other realistic party in the bidding at that time, and after the TV got cancelled he basically had no shot.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, and had the distribution network to sell them. The mainstream attempts at non WWE released wrestling DVDs other than a couple early ECW releases flopped. WWE got the library cheap for some very specific reasons, and even then it wasn't as cheap as reported because they also had to buy advertising on Turner. AND you couldn't just buy the library for the price Vince bought it for because Vince existed. He'd outbid you. There is a reason Bischoff was the only other realistic party in the bidding at that time, and after the TV got cancelled he basically had no shot.

didn't Vince have the first-rights to buy WCW as part of the settlement with Turner over the Hall and Nash invasion in 1996

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, and had the distribution network to sell them. The mainstream attempts at non WWE released wrestling DVDs other than a couple early ECW releases flopped.
I thought FMW DVDs sold by TokyoPop did fairly well.

exploded mummy posted:

*American wrestling history

Valid point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

exploded mummy posted:

Raven, yeah. Steiner was getting there, but he hadn't finished evolving into Big Poppa Pump
That was his White Thunder period, right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Anybody got any good WCW GIFs?

Somebody a while ago somewhere posted a GIF of La Parka hitting Disco with a chair and it was great. Any others like that?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Takuan posted:

I thought FMW DVDs sold by TokyoPop did fairly well.

I think I had 3 of the FMW TokyoPop DVDs, they were really hit and miss. They had a horrible English Announcing team. I think I really liked the first one, which had a bunch of Mick Foley matches. But they seemed to lean heavily on having one or two good matches and a lot of fuller.

I could be remembering wrong, because it's been almost 20 years now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NikkolasKing posted:

Anybody got any good WCW GIFs?

Somebody a while ago somewhere posted a GIF of La Parka hitting Disco with a chair and it was great. Any others like that?

Here's a bunch of really old ones I made a looooong time ago (click thumbnail to view).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

syzpid posted:

I think I had 3 of the FMW TokyoPop DVDs, they were really hit and miss. They had a horrible English Announcing team. I think I really liked the first one, which had a bunch of Mick Foley matches. But they seemed to lean heavily on having one or two good matches and a lot of fuller.

They made up their own angles for the DVDs

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

syzpid posted:

I only owned the first FMW DVD they sold, and except for a couple of matches, it was bottom of the barrel trash. I heard the 2nd volume was better: it did have that Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyoda exploding barbed wire match, so that's a plus. And one of the hosts apologized for the poor quality of the first DVD and tried to focus more on the matches. I dunno if they actually followed through, based on what you said.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

MassRafTer posted:

I picture a man in a suit seeing the WCW books, and literally freaking out, ripping out hair and running SCREAMING from the meeting. Possibly tripping over the C in the WCW logo on the way out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
WCW had the best dumb storylines.

"What are you, some kind of a gemologist or something?" - Macho Man Randy Savage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9W8heDxpY

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Smoking Crow posted:

They made up their own angles for the DVDs

The first batch of DVD's had weird angles and storylines like Horace Boulder, CPA. As soon as they switched their announcement team for the second batch, they went full on with the FMW storylines (that were also weird).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remembered FMW being VHS, my mistake. Anyway around 2001-2002 there were a few independent projects that flopped on DVD. The one that comes to mind is Wrestling Gold which had done well on VHS and sadly bombed on DVD. A company or two tried to distribute early indie DVDs to stores too and it did not do well.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that the one with commentary with by Cornette and Meltzer?

I'd love to have that to just hear them sperging about the history of every wrestler and ref on it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Is that the one with commentary with by Cornette and Meltzer?

I'd love to have that to just hear them sperging about the history of every wrestler and ref on it.

It was really good. The Meltzer/Cornette commentary was an alternate track, so I don't know if it was on the original VHS, but regardless the DVD 's are better because they had both that and original audio.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

I remembered FMW being VHS, my mistake. Anyway around 2001-2002 there were a few independent projects that flopped on DVD. The one that comes to mind is Wrestling Gold which had done well on VHS and sadly bombed on DVD. A company or two tried to distribute early indie DVDs to stores too and it did not do well.

They probably were. I think all the DVDs released by Pioneer were also released on VHS except for the last one. The VHS releases had 2 less matches.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

re WCW tape library/archives.

There is a story I think I heard, (I dunno where/when/who I heard it from so I am probably mis-remembering a whole bunch of stuff), that says when the WWE received the WCW tapes, it was literally just a truck full of jumbled, unlabled tapes, all mixed up with no organization, or even proper storage that took forever to sort through and catalogue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I think it was Kevin Kelly who got the first look at them? And he was just going through boxes finding poo poo shoved in with absolutely no semblance of a catalogue or proper labeling at all.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bagwell guested on this week's episode of Sitting Ringside With David Penzer https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1056301-buff-bagwell-plane-crash-angle-rumors-correct

quote:

[Penzer:] So, I’ve wanted to ask you this forever. There was a rumor going around that Eric wanted to work an angle having you “die” in a plane crash and come and interfere in a match and not smarten up the boys. Is that correct?

[Bagwell:] 100% correct! MGM Grand was one of the last Halloween Havocs we did (1998), and he wanted me to die in a plane crash and so he was going to do it. I had already called my parents to get them ready for this, my wife to let them know, and then they switched it, I did some kind of a run in, I think in a Bill Clinton mask. (If we went through with the original plan), he wanted me to come down like a ghost, on wires, after the plane crash.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Bagwell guested on this week's episode of Sitting Ringside With David Penzer https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1056301-buff-bagwell-plane-crash-angle-rumors-correct

oh god bagwell was going to be seven

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Chris James 2 posted:

quote:
[Penzer:] So, I’ve wanted to ask you this forever. There was a rumor going around that Eric wanted to work an angle having you “die” in a plane crash and come and interfere in a match and not smarten up the boys. Is that correct?

[Bagwell:] 100% correct! MGM Grand was one of the last Halloween Havocs we did (1998), and he wanted me to die in a plane crash and so he was going to do it. I had already called my parents to get them ready for this, my wife to let them know, and then they switched it, I did some kind of a run in, I think in a Bill Clinton mask. (If we went through with the original plan), he wanted me to come down like a ghost, on wires, after the plane crash.

That sounds awful but i so want to see that now and its like gonna have to live out the remainder of my days wondering just how awful and corny it would have been.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
What they actually did is pretty much almost as bad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
lol I totally forgot The Great Muta was one of the five billion members of the nWo. That was a fun surprise.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wasn't even the coolest member of NWO Japan even (Chono all the way)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Chono was a lot harder to forget given how many episodes of Nitro he was on. Muta I’d completely forgotten about.

Now I wish I could forget The Giant and Luger’s promos. Good god. Thank god Show improved in the WWE cause he was a marblemouthed mess in 1997.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Very strange way to abbreviate Scott "Flapjack" Norton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was a huge fan of Scott Norton back then, for some reason. Dude just looked like he could legit whip some rear end.