Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

bunch of wealthy Venezuelans

You got a single shard of evidence to back this up or are you content to fling poo poo at people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furia posted:

You got a single shard of evidence to back this up or are you content to fling poo poo at people?

Why are you replying to an uninterrupted fart noise as if it contained words?

You're going crazy Furia, understandable after the 20th day in a row in which a stranger or a co-worker has gone "phew things sure look dicey over there hey?" When they realize you're Venezuelan.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Furia posted:

You mean like beyond the fact that nearly all the “real Venezuelans” in this thread supporting the coup don’t live in Venezuela anymore?

That somehow the opposition, which is supposedly starving under Maduro’s foot, has huge parades with tricked out cars with a trump Statue of Liberty on them, or massive sound stages and projectors?

Like, jeez, read the news. It’s unreasonable for me to be the only one citing sources time and time again while pro-coup posts just blindly yell “Brown Man Bad” about Maduro and Chávez.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

The fact that Guaido has declared himself the figurehead of this movement is honestly the only reason I'm suspicious about the opposition at all. I can think of maybe a dozen more sane and reasonable things that could be done with all this protest energy than put this guy no one has ever heard of in charge of the country because he pinky swears that he's one of the good ones.

There is considerable controversy about whether the Constituent National Assembly is legal or not, from legal scholars and lawyers within Venezuela and experts abroad. These people know more than you or I about this situation, and they know more than you and I can learn from glancing at translated texts.

There are two possible reasons,

1) It is actually controversial and not at all clear.
2) The controversy is entirely manufactured and all these people are just lying.

The only real way to reach conclusion 2 is if you already believe that to oppose any government that calls itself leftist is, in itself, fundamentally illegitimate, just as any action taken by a nominally leftist government is fundamentally legitimate and beyond criticism.

We already know that's what you believe. That's also why you have falsely claimed that the opposition simply boycotts elections to make the government look bad. That has to be the reason, since by definition they can't engage in any legitimate action.

You're a transparent dullard.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 6, 2019

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

You're going crazy Furia, understandable after the 20th day in a row in which a stranger or a co-worker has gone "phew things sure look dicey over there hey?" When they realize you're Venezuelan.

I know. I think I should give it a rest for a day or two.

Do your coworkers ask you about cocaine by the way? It is literally the first thing that comes out of their mouths like 70% of the time

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furia posted:

Do your coworkers ask you about cocaine by the way? It is literally the first thing that comes out of their mouths like 70% of the time

Haha what? No, that's a first, but I'm guessing Spain got tired of asking Latinos about cocaine with the Colombians, 20 years ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Furia posted:

The stuff in the UK is shite so I'd say anyone asking has given it a go is why

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

uninterrupted posted:

Listen, the only way to fix Venezuela is to go from regular elections to maybe elections.
The dumb poor of Venezuela keep electing leftists and that’s just unacceptable.

Guaidó was elected.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Haha what? No, that's a first, but I'm guessing Spain got tired of asking Latinos about cocaine with the Colombians, 20 years ago.

Oh man it goes from “I’ve heard that there’s a lot of cocaine there” to them getting huge grins on their faces and going “OH, cocaeeeena!” and doing a snorting sound if they’re feeling bold enough

There was this one time that I was discussing how Mexican coke (as in Mexican coca cola) is often preferred in the US because it’s made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup and then the jokes (read: racism) just wrote themselves from there, starting with “yeah you’d know about that HAHAHAl

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furia posted:

Oh man it goes from “I’ve heard that there’s a lot of cocaine there” to them getting huge grins on their faces and going “OH, cocaeeeena!” and doing a snorting sound if they’re feeling bold enough

There was this one time that I was discussing how Mexican coke (as in Mexican coca cola) is often preferred in the US because it’s made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup and then the jokes (read: racism) just wrote themselves from there, starting with “yeah you’d know about that HAHAHAl

What the gently caress?

I mostly get asked about good places to get tequeños at.

Too bad because I have like twenty kilos of blow ready for sale and there's no one interested, maann. How will I get my second helicopter at this rate? Ugh thanks Maduro.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

What actually ends up happening is that people without jobs do long hours in line, even days beforehand, in order to buy as much basic products as they can get away with. Then, they resell them for ten, twenty times more money to people who have decent works, but no time to do lines. Then while 1kg of rice may cost 9BsF , unless you're really lucky you end up paying at least 100 to get it, from the hands of a reseller (or bachaquero).

Also it’s crazy that posters in this thread talk about hoarding and reselling price controlled food, then turn and breathlessly state that Maduro is the one starving his people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

uninterrupted posted:

Also it’s crazy that posters in this thread talk about hoarding and reselling price controlled food, then turn and breathlessly state that Maduro is the one starving his people.

You should come over for arepas. My family usually fills them with gold hopefully that's ok.

Quoting a post from 315 loving pages ago, lmao.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Furia posted:

Jesus Christ :cripes:

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

You should come over for arepas. My family usually fills them with gold hopefully that's ok.

Quoting a post from 315 loving pages ago, lmao.

“Listen to real Venezuelans!”
Hey this real wealthy Venezuelan expat is describing how he contributed to food shortages
“No don’t listen that much”

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^ bachaqueros a symptom of the disease, not a cause.

Furia posted:

I hope the background to this story is you're a high school student so all your friends/associates are 16 and dumb.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saladman posted:

^^^ bachaqueros a symptom of the disease, not a cause.

Not to mention bachaqueros came almost exclusively from the lower income Venezuelans since their minimum montlhy wage was less than what they could make by reselling toilet paper for a week.

Or how the whole bachaquero phenomenon changed Venezuelan culture basically overnight. He's a malicious idiot and I'm done replying to him with any degree of seriousness, I've already told him enough.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uninterrupted posted:

The Venezuelan Supreme Court said he’s not the legitimate president. That’s pretty much the end of the conversation as far as how legal the coup is. Incredible that a bunch of wealthy Venezuelans want the legal analysis of a bunch of Americans to overrule real Venezuelans, who overwhelmingly support their democratically elected president.

You realize the "wealthy Venezuelans" you keep talking about aren't the people that want government changing because they are literally starving right?

The "wealthy Venezuelans" are Maduro and about 1000 of his high ranking officials. They want to keep the status quo. Because the country is being run into the ground stealing from the mouths of the real citizens.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uninterrupted posted:

You mean like beyond the fact that nearly all the “real Venezuelans” in this thread supporting the coup don’t live in Venezuela anymore?

That somehow the opposition, which is supposedly starving under Maduro’s foot, has huge parades with tricked out cars with a trump Statue of Liberty on them, or massive sound stages and projectors?

Like, jeez, read the news. It’s unreasonable for me to be the only one citing sources time and time again while pro-coup posts just blindly yell “Brown Man Bad” about Maduro and Chávez.

Nvm. Obvious troll at this point pretending that whether or not regular people are starving is up for debate. Educate yourself. People are losing 20 lbs a year and the majority of the population has to skip a meal a day. Time to get blocked troll.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

uninterrupted posted:

At least try and quote his whole post:

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The problem is, while "Basic products" are cheap, they are almost impossible to get. In March I did about 10 hours of waiting in line with my mom in the two weeks I was there, just so I could buy milk, chicken, deodorant and toothpaste (among other, less scarce things).

In fact, when I was going back there, I asked my friends and family what did they want from Spain that I could bring with me. You'd think Spanish products such as cured meats or wine would be the regular gifts. Nope, I brought with me around 20 deodorants. I gave away deodorants like some kind of speed stick santa claus.

What actually ends up happening is that people without jobs do long hours in line, even days beforehand, in order to buy as much basic products as they can get away with. Then, they resell them for ten, twenty times more money to people who have decent works, but no time to do lines. Then while 1kg of rice may cost 9BsF , unless you're really lucky you end up paying at least 100 to get it, from the hands of a reseller (or bachaquero).
ninjaedit: Both my mom (who's upper middle class) and my mother in law (poor-ish) have developed the same hoarding impulses due to this. Open the fridge and there's kilos of uncooked frozen meat, cans and cans of coke, two unopened packages of salt, etc. If you find something in the store you better buy it even if you don't need it right now because tomorrow there might be no way to find sugar in the whole city.

The prices are ridiculous. As in I was constantly with my mouth hanging after asking for the price of things. A thousand Bolivares for a hamburguer. Two thousand in groceries for my mom and dogs alone. Five years ago we could eat with 120 BsF. The best part is that the highest bill is 100, so you can imagine how fun was to carry around enough cash for lunch. It was basically monopoly money and everytime I had to take out my wallet and count 30 bills to pay for a round of beers for five friends it just got weirder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQMLfZ5zbM This video is from 2014 and shows a bunch of people running across town because milk just arrived to the store.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdz_O6VcFoo Line to buy chicken.

Yep, and the worst part about it is that we're just getting worse. Many, many venezuelans leaving the country develop an even more inflated sense of self and arrive to their new home feeling cocky and superior to everyone else. They speak of the people remaining there with disdain and even insult the citizens of their new country. There's thousands of venezuelans living in Panama now that treat Panamanians as "uneducated indians". It's like the further we get from our previous state of privileged, rich country, the biggest assholes we become trying to compensate for it.

Obviously it's just a generalization, from my personal observations.

edit: Venegoons, don't be like that when you leave. Please. Pleaaase??

The fact that you think this is some kind of indictment of Hugoon and not increasingly desperate people doing increasingly desperate things in a system that's breaking down completely (and has gotten far, far worse in the three and a half years since) is...

loving Christ you're a dumb loving rear end in a top hat.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 6, 2019

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

uninterrupted posted:

Did you just quote a post from 4 years ago? Holy autism tank brain.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

patonthebach posted:

And just think how much worse things got in the interim.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
blaming people stockpiling food for the crisis is like blaming people buying houses for the rescission

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rust Martialis posted:

And just think how much worse things got in the interim.

Sadly true. I re-read my own post and already think it's completely outdated.

There's a really weird feeling when I've spent ten years thinking "surely this is rock bottom and I can't see how it could get any worse" only to be proven wrong in a month.

Fun fact: I mentioned in the post a burger had run me 1k bolivares fuertes. It's now 10k bolivares soberanos, or one million fuertes. Minimum wage is 18k soberanos.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Fun fact: I mentioned in the post a burger had run me 1k bolivares fuertes. It's now 10k bolivares soberanos, or one million fuertes. Minimum wage is 18k soberanos.

It's also worth adding the units to that minimum wage, since Americans (and maybe other nationalities) tend to think of minimum wages as "per hour". But no, that's not 2 burgers per hour, that's 2 burgers per month.

And that it's not some derelict law from 1800, but an actual minimum wage that is earned by a majority of the population. It makes Cuba's $25/month look good, because at least in Cuba you get food and housing and electricity and poo poo for "free".

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

blaming people stockpiling food for the crisis is like blaming people buying houses for the rescission

uh speculators hoarding and flipping houses was literally one of the primary catalysts for the recession :wtc:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:wrong: billionaire speculators aren't people

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

uh speculators hoarding and flipping houses was literally one of the primary catalysts for the recession :wtc:

No, you see they’ve already gotten rich off black market food hoarding and reselling and left Venezuela, now it’s time to blame the crisis on completely unfounded claims that Maduro is stealing everything for himself.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

uninterrupted posted:

No, you see they’ve already gotten rich off black market food hoarding and reselling.
Joining the global 1% one roll of toilet paper at a time.

God, imagine being that loving stupid.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Joining the global 1% one roll of toilet paper at a time.

God, imagine being that loving stupid.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

What actually ends up happening is that people without jobs do long hours in line, even days beforehand, in order to buy as much basic products as they can get away with.

Imagine reading.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

uninterrupted posted:

No, you see they’ve already gotten rich off black market food hoarding and reselling and left Venezuela, now it’s time to blame the crisis on completely unfounded claims that Maduro is stealing everything for himself.

The queue to become filthy rich off black marker food hoarding!

Look at all of these newly rich people about to buy their Ferraris!

Destroying the economy to fund their vacations!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 6, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

uninterrupted posted:

Hoarding and black marketeering isnt great behavior, but it's a symptom of shortages, and not the cause of it. If it's an environment of shortage, and you come across someplace that has products, you buy as much as you can afford, because you don't know when you'll be able to get more. And black markets happen because when people are desperate for things they cant get on the open market, they'll gladly pay whatever they can for what they need. If a bag of rice will keep you and your kids from starving, you buy the rice, even of it costs 20 times what its "supposed to".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CYBEReris posted:

the recession was caused by banks and investment firms playing increasingly complex and convoluted get rich quick schemes that assumed that housing prices were going to rise forever and nothing bad would ever happen

regular people buying houses or in some cases buying second or third houses to invest in, or poor people accepting mortages they couldn't afford were not the root cause of the entire global economy loving exploding, much like people buying ten tubes of toothpaste in venesuela are not somehow causing the food supply of the entire country to contract

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 6, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
edit:gently caress this poo poo

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 6, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
e:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Didn't at least one of the goons being accused of being a "wealthy Venezuelan expat" only manage get out of Venezuela because of other goons helping pay for him to get out? I recall a pass the hat moment a couple years ago.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

patonthebach posted:

uninterrupted posted:

Was just told via PM from someone that you are irl autistic. Sorry man, didn't mean it as a personal insult.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Didn't at least one of the goons being accused of being a "wealthy Venezuelan expat" only manage get out of Venezuela because of other goons helping pay for him to get out? I recall a pass the hat moment a couple years ago.

I'm pretty sure that's fnox

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

uninterrupted posted:

This is bad, even for the Venezuela thread. It's along the lines of blaming jangmadang moms for causing north korea's mass famine. Your entire line of reasoning terminates at that you plainly don't understand what caused the bachaqueros to come about during Venezuela's severe products shortages / hyperinflation crises, and are so desperate to write off the lived experiences of Venezuelans, that you portray the entire phenomenon as some sort of mass grift and come up with the posting equivalent of the fox news "and look at these supposedly "poor" venezuelans, 96% have ..."

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I believe I watched part of that take place, and I hope whoever it is still posts, but I don't remember the name.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kavros posted:

This is bad, even for the Venezuela thread. It's along the lines of blaming jangmadang moms for causing north korea's mass famine. Your entire line of reasoning terminates at that you plainly don't understand what caused the bachaqueros to come about during Venezuela's severe products shortages / hyperinflation crises, and are so desperate to write off the lived experiences of Venezuelans, that you portray the entire phenomenon as some sort of mass grift and come up with the posting equivalent of the fox news "and look at these supposedly "poor" venezuelans, 96% have ..."

I believe I watched part of that take place, and I hope whoever it is still posts, but I don't remember the name.

Venezuelans in this thread have been called "not real Venezuelans" because we have access to the internet and speak the magical language of English. Obvious we must be rich burgouise people from old money.

I'd love to compare our formative years and see who comes out as privileged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I mean really all this polemic on the Venezuelans is missing right now is for someone to draft up a huge-nose picture of the wealth hoarding Venezuelan expats carrying giant bags labeled 'hoarded bachaquero money' across the Venezuela border and snickering "heh heh, I can't wait to support a neoliberal coup against my own people so that Maduro can stop making their lives so great"