Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Both of which could be appointed by Herring in this apocalyptic hypothetical, yes?

Actually, I think the new governor appoints the LG and the (Republican) General Assembly appoints the AG, unless this all happens after the General Assembly adjourns, then it's a temporary gubernatorial appointment until the next session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

What crime could he be charged with?

Hopefully he just resigns.

neglect of duty seems like a generic catch-all

You could make the argument that he can't possibly exercise his duty to faithfully represent all Virginians after dressing up in blackface/a Klan hood. Or that almost moonwalking at a press conference about a serious racial issue is neglecting his duty to Virginians.

Also high crimes and misdemeanors isn't defined, bald-faced obvious lying to the public with this ridiculous Shaggy defense could arguably be that.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

is herring bad?

The only real knock I've ever heard against Herring is that he was a moderate up until about 2013 (when he ran statewide) and then he took a hard left turn. I'm sure he has some 2007-era votes he regrets now, like most Dems in office back then, but it's not like he voted for Bush twice or anything.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
https://www.wral.com/wake-lawmakers-ready-to-fight-dmv-headquarters-move/18171567/

So, in November, the state of North Carolina passed a constitutional amendment saying we have to have voter ID. The GOP super-majority led General Assembly passed a voter ID bill. Our Democratic governor vetoed it. The General Assembly overrode the veto. All of this happened in the span of two weeks in the December after the midterms.

Now that February's here, our DMV HQ needs to be moved. It's current location is:
- Just outside downtown Raleigh
- In the middle of a densely populated area that's mostly minorities
- Connected to Raleigh and Triangle public transit

The proposed location is in Rocky Mount, which is:
- An hour away from Raleigh
- In a rural/suburban area
- Not connected to any Triangle transit routes (in fact, the Triangle transit doesn't even go into the city)

The move will displace 600 workers, 1000's of potential voters in the second largest city in the state will be effected, and the bid process is starting to come under some scrutiny.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sticking a large state government office in the old hardee's headquarters 60 miles away from raleigh is the ncgop's leadership in a nutshell

in other news, vote blue no matter who:

https://twitter.com/FenitN/status/1092950933372325889

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But we got work requirements on Medicaid to keep the lazy poor away from the healthcare so it was all worth it

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
But Ed Gillespie is good, you see, because

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sticking a large state government office in the old hardee's headquarters 60 miles away from raleigh is the ncgop's leadership in a nutshell

in other news, vote blue no matter who:

https://twitter.com/FenitN/status/1092950933372325889
Does he... think that makes his racism go away?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I went back home for Christmas and started thinking about maybe moving back and I got to say that I'm glad this came up to remind me that no, Virginia is still trash

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There's a lot less pieces of poo poo than there were, but the well is very deep and they need to all be removed and shoved into a WVA hole.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do Virginia chuds love the movie Gettysburg?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does he... think that makes his racism go away?

I think he may think that'll protect him from a threat of impeachment?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Abel Wingnut posted:

is herring bad?

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1093187326476541952

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Virginia’s current line of succession:

Dem governor: blackface, comically buffoonish
Dem Lt. Gov: sexual assault accusation, could be a thing
Dem AG: blackface, level of comic buffoonery pending
Republican Speaker of the House: has his job because of a massive gerrymander and because in one clutch race they drew the republican name out of a hat a year ago.

This is a loving disaster.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Teddybear posted:

Virginia’s current line of succession:

Dem governor: blackface, comically buffoonish
Dem Lt. Gov: sexual assault accusation, could be a thing
Dem AG: blackface, level of comic buffoonery pending
Republican Speaker of the House: has his job because of a massive gerrymander and because in one clutch race they drew the republican name out of a hat a year ago.

This is a loving disaster.

How the hell did this happen? Is the entire Virginia Democratic Party comprised of nightmare people?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

How the hell did this happen? Is the entire Virginia Democratic Party comprised of nightmare people?
fairfax's accusation is up in the air, so we'll ignore that

everyone else is a old white guy in the state with that submitted a statue of robert e. lee to the national statuary hall collection

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Their entire reason for existence is sucking up to the war industry and bureaucrats in the NoVA suburbs so yes

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Endorph posted:

fairfax's accusation is up in the air, so we'll ignore that

I have bad news...

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1093189392196427777

It's a bad look no matter how that pans out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I have bad news...

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying it hasn't been admitted to like everything else, and also doesn't fit into the same type of behavior. I realize how 'we'll ignore that' comes across, lol, didn't mean it like that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Vanessa Tyson has retained a lawyer and has allowed herself to be identified by name; I figure it's only a matter of days before she comes forward officially. I used to believe that if someone was accused of sexual assault and continued to categorically, unconditionally deny it instead of wavering and temporizing, that was usually a sign they didn't do it--then the Kavanaugh thing happened. Brett Kavanaugh was so obviously guilty of being a drunk-rear end rapist...

Handsome Ralph posted:

I have bad news...

For whatever it's worth, his chief of staff immediately issued a categorical denial of this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I saw the denial. Honestly I can see it being bullshit and I can see it being true (if I were in Fairfax's shoes and I felt I was wrongfully accused, I'd probably say some stupid poo poo in private as well that wouldn't look good if people heard about it).

Either way, it's a huge poo poo sandwich.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sexpig by night posted:

I think he may think that'll protect him from a threat of impeachment?

Or it's spite because he's pissy Dems didn't defend him.

Also, reminder governor can appoint replacements for Ags or lts that resign.

vvv indeed

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 6, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
just make lee carter god-emperor of the commonwealth and be done with it

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Me too brother. Me too. I am reaching hesitantly for the bottle of bourbon I keep in my office desk drawer for problems in production because holy hell I need a drink right now

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't want to tell VA goons what to do, but I stromgly suggest you all unplug. You're only going to get more upset right now. Take a day, two even, and come back with some emotional healing under your belt before you have a giant breakdown. Then see how the situation has progressed while you were gone and see how you feel about it, then start calling delegates and congresspeople.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I don't want to tell VA goons what to do, but I stromgly suggest you all unplug. You're only going to get more upset right now. Take a day, two even, and come back with some emotional healing under your belt before you have a giant breakdown. Then see how the situation has progressed while you were gone and see how you feel about it, then start calling delegates and congresspeople.

Yeah I'm not even paying attention to the news any more. We're in a Cheeto Sky-like scenario for VA politicians being awful.

I just hope they don't hit Danica Roem or Lee Carter next :ohdear:

I could see a "compromise" scenario now where Fairfax and Herring resign, Northam appoints the replacements and then he resigns too. Who knows

What a mess.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

axeil posted:

I just hope they don't hit Danica Roem or Lee Carter next :ohdear:

Lee's probably really thankful he did that twitter thread a few months back, all things considered.

axeil posted:

I could see a "compromise" scenario now where Fairfax and Herring resign, Northam appoints the replacements and then he resigns too. Who knows

I don't really think Herring resigns - people seem a lot more understanding of his mistake - he was younger & his response was a lot better. The more cynical & further removed would point out that the picture's worth a thousand words - even if Ralph's now denying that that blackface photo is him, it's still associated.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jackson Taus posted:

I don't really think Herring resigns - people seem a lot more understanding of his mistake - he was younger & his response was a lot better. The more cynical & further removed would point out that the picture's worth a thousand words - even if Ralph's now denying that that blackface photo is him, it's still associated.

There are different degrees too. Herring claims he and some friends dressed up as 'rappers.' Northam's full minstrel and there's a KKK member who may or may not be him.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah thinking on it now with a bit of time behind us, I think the most likely scenario is Herring becomes Gov and appoints a new LT Gov in the interim with a special in 2019 for Lt Gov/AG, although I'm not sure he can order that.

Next most likely is "no one resigns" which would suck and be bad.

Next, next most likely is the crazy daisy chain scenario where Periello ends up as Gov or something wild like that.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
https://www.wral.com/legislative-le...R9O1uM_RI8ZRGWI

Surprise! Surprise!

Phil Berger and Tim Moore, the General Assembly leaders that brought us the anti-trans bill HB2, see nothing wrong with moving the DMV HQ to a rural area.

House Speaker Tim Moore posted:

...moving DMV offices to a rural area makes financial sense. He said provisions could be made to help workers, but he didn't elaborate.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

Lee's probably really thankful he did that twitter thread a few months back, all things considered.

Also Northam was already sunk because he has a history of racist policy initiatives like bulldozing Union Hill, a historically black neighborhood to build a unpopular natural gas pipeline and distribution center. Not to mention he skull hosed the panel to get it approved by firing the people who were going to veto it and replaced them with Dominion Power shills. He outright said he would outlaw Sanctuary Cities if one showed up in VA. He is expanding/privatizing Route 81 with tolls which is basically transportation segregation because no one except the old white upper middle class can afford tolls that skyrocket to nearly 20 bucks depending on traffic density (EZPASS is a loving disaster and needs to be shitcanned and made into Bus/Trucking only lanes with signs like "Stuck in traffic? Ride the bus!" all along them to increase bus ridership , new bus fleets are part of this too as well as expanding the VRE, but I digress.)

Northam has ALWAYS been a politician who didn't say the quiet part out loud. The difference is now we have a very loud photo that gives white people permission to say "hey, wait a minute..." because most of us are incapable of seeing how all the other poo poo he has done is racist because white people are literally the worst at spotting racism because its hard to see the bottom when you are so high in the loving ivory tower.

I have had a couple of people on Facebook go into how the sward falling is a little fast and without mercy and I posted this in response and I think it is pretty accurate for the reaction to Northam's Minstrel Show:

quote:

Part of the sword dropping I suspect is because Northam has never said the quiet part out loud, but it is well known where he sits on the "Good Ole Boys" spectrum of cross burning and having...very clean sheets. Now that this picture has been released white people have "permission" to cry foul despite the evidence of racist policies being everywhere. It is one of those things where the literal worst thing you can call a white person is racist so for white people to get on board this train you literally need a picture of them in black face or dropping the hard "R". I mean, the man couldn't even take a stand on Confederate Monuments for Christ's sake.

It is an anecdotal example but before all this came out I have talked with a number of white people who think they are pretty woke and progressive about how Northam is enacting racist policies and likely either is a racist or has hard racist leanings. The common response is that I was being hyperbolic or looking for things that weren't there. He is just trying to create jobs with the pipeline and those people will be reimbursed for their property because we all know eminent domain works real well for that eh? Especially if the way black neighborhoods are zoned means that you are getting robbed for the value of your house, at least in Richmond. So if you say had your house taken by eminent domain in a white neighborhood, you would get significantly more money than for the same exact house in a black neighborhood, but I digress. I mean, never mind it is straight out of the "White People in Power" playbook to bulldoze PoC neighborhoods for construction projects because lol, they dont have the money to stop them in court. Thanks Eisenhower!

Or with Route 81, it was to ease congestion and totally wasn't outside the reach of anyone who is not white upper middle class. Yeah, because paying 10-20 bucks one way for a toll is really within the reach of ANYONE along 81 that doesn't have some serious scratch to spare. They literally refused to even entertain the idea that it was transportation segregation.

Now fast forward a week or two to the picture being dropped and these same people are using my exact words to say, "Yes, he is a racist for these reasons". White People literally need the kind of racism that appears in the movies to be convinced that "yes, this is indeed racist." and balk at any attempt to paint another white person as racist until such blatant evidence is provided. Like, the burden of proof is so friggin high and when you finally reach it, they turn into the most radical social justice warriors you ever did see, partly I suspect because they must purge the racist white from their number because #notallwhitepeople.

The grand irony here is that the sword doesn't drop nearly as fast or as hard for politicians who commit sex crimes. Largely because the world is controlled by men and a preponderance of evidence needs to be produced to oust a man. The only reason Franken was ousted was because there were photos, but that goes back to my previous point. White people demand receipts to believe anything against one "theirs".

Lee Carter was the first that I saw to tell Fairfax he needed to go because Lee is a rape victim. It is one of the reasons I loving love him so much because we need more men to come forward publicly in power positions to say, "I was raped" or "I was sexually assaulted" to show that the system fundamentally fails male victims because of how toxic our culture is towards masculinity.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

volts5000 posted:

https://www.wral.com/legislative-le...R9O1uM_RI8ZRGWI

Surprise! Surprise!

Phil Berger and Tim Moore, the General Assembly leaders that brought us the anti-trans bill HB2, see nothing wrong with moving the DMV HQ to a rural area.

quote:

"There's been in the past a history of moving everything into the city. Well, now, because of the natural growth and the highest and best use of land, it may be more economical to put some of these facilities just outside the cities, and I think we can make this happen," said Moore, R-Cleveland. "We have plenty of state agencies located outside of Raleigh."

lol "just outside" it's three loving counties over

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

Lee Carter was the first that I saw to tell Fairfax he needed to go because Lee is a rape victim. It is one of the reasons I loving love him so much because we need more men to come forward publicly in power positions to say, "I was raped" or "I was sexually assaulted" to show that the system fundamentally fails male victims because of how toxic our culture is towards masculinity.

One of the only reports I've done on twitter was someone mockingly recreating the circumstances of Terry Crews sexual assault to insult him in a tweet.

It was... super loving gross.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cross-post from USPOL:

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1094377636825088000?s=20

The fact that the strongest block of support to stay in office for Northam is African Americans is pretty interesting. It's looking more and more like he's going to survive this tornado of madness.

It really was a perfect storm for Northam. Fairfax being exposed as a sexmonster, Herring also coming out with his admission and therefore the threat of a Republican taking the mansion, and then finally that revelation the other day about the State Senate Majority Leader's yearbook that was just full to busting with openly racist language and photos to remind everyone what an R governor in Virginia really means.

If I were in Virginia I'd still be pissed as hell at Northam, for the racism as a matter of course, for the threat this poses to the taking back of the legislature and the state's strength as a blue bastion, for the lovely was he's handled it all, and particularly for that story that when the heat was on the most he was thinking about ditching the party and becoming an I Governor rather than just doing what was right. But it looks like he's not going anywhere.

However, if Virginia Dems (and the goon in this thread) can take anything positive away from all this, I hope it's that both the national and state parties did the right thing pretty much the whole way, and still are doing so. Fairfax is facing impeachment if he doesn't step down. Herring is working with the Black Caucus to make amends with the community. And if that poll number among black respondents is anything to go by, enthusiasm for Team D has not been strangled in it's crib.\

Keep fighting friends, your home seems to have your backs. :)

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 10, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

There is a conference call this Wednesday for the DMV area on GND Land Use topics. If you want anything advocated for specifically, shoot me a line or post it here.

I plan on pushing and asking for:
* Dedicated Bus/trucking Lanes instead of toll roads
* Densified Zoning
* Rent Control
* Metro Expansion
* Investment in Nuclear Power for the DMV Grid and the GND at large

Also, if you have any really good data or hard-hitting articles that you think I should be armed with going in, then give em here because I would prefer to be armed to the loving teeth to smash NIMBYs, racists, and climate deniers into oblivion.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Metro expansion is near and dear to me. Turning non-rail hours into night-owl bus hours would be a game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Metro expansion is near and dear to me. Turning non-rail hours into night-owl bus hours would be a game changer.

https://www.urban.org/policy-center...ad-expenditures

We spend so much goddamn money on roads and a pittance on rail in this country. State and local govs spend like only 1.6 billion on rail versus 168 billion on roads

I will take a look into that too for the buses. I am pushing for new bus fleets and a massive marketing campaign to fight the stupid, racist stigma against riding the bus