Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bell_ posted:

I'll get a chance to play next week. Do folks usually go to these with one character in mind or do they bring a couple to make sure all the bases are covered?

Bring whatever. Tier 1, especially, there's no need to have a "proper meta" party. If you wind up with 4 fighters, just roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Sounds like an excuse to go halfling longsword monk. Thank you!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ok. Theory crafting time. What would I run if I wanted to make a character or team who focuses on capturing enemies alive? Though it would be cool if we had a bounty hunter campaign I know wizard has a spell that summons a hand which can grapple or push with a very high strength check. Anything which saps STR/DEX is also nice and enchanting is probably going to be very nice. Do not know a lot about conjuration, but any teleporting is probably going to be important. That way we sneak in with invisibility, enchant, grapple, pull in the portal and out. Maybe some persuasion checks.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Midig posted:

Ok. Theory crafting time. What would I run if I wanted to make a character or team who focuses on capturing enemies alive? Though it would be cool if we had a bounty hunter campaign I know wizard has a spell that summons a hand which can grapple or push with a very high strength check. Anything which saps STR/DEX is also nice and enchanting is probably going to be very nice. Do not know a lot about conjuration, but any teleporting is probably going to be important. That way we sneak in with invisibility, enchant, grapple, pull in the portal and out. Maybe some persuasion checks.

What character level are we talking here?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

Yeah because at level 11 a rogue with expertise in athletics is the most reliable Wrestler. Add expert in acrobatic and call him El Santo...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah because at level 11 a rogue with expertise in athletics is the most reliable Wrestler. Add expert in acrobatic and call him El Santo...

weird way to spell bard

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

CubeTheory posted:

Preferably effective by level 5. Anything longer than that is a bit too much work until reaching the goal.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Midig posted:

Preferably effective by level 5. Anything longer than that is a bit too much work until reaching the goal.

Fighter 3, Warlock 2

Take the Close Quarters Shooter UA fighting style and carry lots of nets with you. The fighting style nullifies the disadvantage on trying to net someone. Choose Battlemaster. Use things like Disarming Attack and Trip Attack to put your foe in bad positions. I believe these maneuvers can be performed while netting as they just require a weapon attack. As for the warlock levels, take Hex. Since removing a net is a strength ability check and not a save, hex will give them disadvantage on removing it at bonus action speed. Take the Devil's Sight invocation and the Darkness spell to disorient them as you move in and capture them. This part is kind of sketchy, but if you can convince your DM, take another level in warlock and take the Improved Pact Weapon and make your pact weapon a net to give it resistance to damage and you can just summon them out of thin air.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The GM would probably object to bringing the guy over with the summon object, it might have been a good idea otherwise. It might be seen as an exploit and GMs do not look kindly upon players who area one trick pony. If you run a party full of high AC, eventually enemies start casting willpower saving throws and so forth.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Midig posted:

The GM would probably object to bringing the guy over with the summon object, it might have been a good idea otherwise. It might be seen as an exploit and GMs do not look kindly upon players who area one trick pony. If you run a party full of high AC, eventually enemies start casting willpower saving throws and so forth.

I just meant you can make more nets out of thin air. The GM permission is because you can't choose nets as a pact weapon, though Improved Pact Weapon opens up other ranged weapona

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Reading through all spells now trying to find good ones for capturing or escaping. I wish they just ordered it based on class or school instead of alphabetical.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Hold Person is a pretty obvious one, Slow too.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
For capturing:

Arcane Lock
Grease
Hideous Laughter
Darkness
Web
Hypnotic pattern

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Anyone try out this Monster Classes book on DMSGuild? And if so how is it? Preview shows Animated Armor, which seems to pick only 1 skill, though the bit of Azer that is visible in the preview does get the usual 2 skill picks.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

It's a decent effort. We have a new player running a Kuo Toa (who thinks he's an elf) cleric and he got the ability to perceive invisible creatures from that book. As the party is now headed to a Duergar city and the Duergar know well the Kuo Toa can see them sneaking about invisibly it's going to make for interesting time when they force him to wear a bucket on his head before entering the city...

e: I could add some more about it but I'm running out the door - anything in particular you'd like to know?

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 7, 2019

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Midig posted:

Reading through all spells now trying to find good ones for capturing or escaping. I wish they just ordered it based on class or school instead of alphabetical.
Or even by level, like it was always supposed to be. :mad:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
5e.tools is your friend

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, friends are starting a thing of this up, and I wound up joining. Character is probably going to be a Divine Soul Sorcerer, with more of a focus on support and radiant damage than the Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer also in the party, who is bringing a lot of fire. I'm wondering how inefficient it'd be to have most of my damage spells be radiant damage for character purposes, and if there are ways to boost radiant damage or make it more effective (things like Elemental Adept won't work for radiant damage). Also any general tips would be appreciated.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Enlarge/Reduce 2 level transformation: Amazing to use on an ally who is grappling or enemy who is being grappled, although it is based on con save which is usually not preferred.

Entangle 1 level conjuration: Strenght check or restrained.

Exoeditious retreat: Dash as bonus action

Fear 3 level illusion. Make all creatures except the target (who should be restrained) run away if they fail wisdom check.

Find steed 2 level conjuration: gently caress this poo poo im out. Also, a good way to carry the target and outpace enemies.

Fly 3 level transformation: 60 speed flying on allies. See no weight restriction.

Fog cloud 1 level conjuration: Good for distraction to capture and run away.

Grease 1 level conjuration: If they cannot be feared, they can fall on their rear end. Must be used with care.

Gust of wind 1 level evocation: Keep them at bay if all else fails

Hold person 2 level enchantment: Restrains target on wisdom save

Misty step 2 level conjuration: Teleport 30 feet

Pass without trace 2 level alteration: Leave no tracks. Meaning creatures cannot follow you once you got out.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

In the campaign I'm running right now the players are legendary heroes that have been summoned by the Archmage, Gundren Rockseeker (they hate him) to go off on a series of one shots to defeat the Minions of the Lich, Sildar Hallwinter. One of the players asked to run a session and I told him yeah.

Has anyone here had any experience with rotating DMs? It seems like a campaign that is just a series of one shots would be ideal for this sort of thing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

So, friends are starting a thing of this up, and I wound up joining. Character is probably going to be a Divine Soul Sorcerer, with more of a focus on support and radiant damage than the Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer also in the party, who is bringing a lot of fire. I'm wondering how inefficient it'd be to have most of my damage spells be radiant damage for character purposes, and if there are ways to boost radiant damage or make it more effective (things like Elemental Adept won't work for radiant damage). Also any general tips would be appreciated.

Sorcerer is all about using Twinned Metamagic.

You can grab Sacred Flame as your basic attack but it's mediocre. You have access to Toll the Dead and that's quite good even if it's necrotic. Ask the DM if it can deal Radiant instead??

Guiding Bolt is an excellent 1st level offensive spell, that you can Twin for cheap (1 SP).
Bless and Shield of Faith are very good 1st level buffs, the latter a Bonus Action spell that likewise you can Twin.
Protection from Evil and Good, more situational but also very good Twinned.
Healing Word is clutch. Also bonus action that you can Twin if necessary.

Your best offensive option at 2nd level is Spiritual Weapon, deals Force though.

For 3rd level you can get Spirit Guardians, which is a great AoE Radiant damage spell, however Divine Soul sorcerer is a poor chassis for it due to your default low AC and HP.
If you have two decent martials in the party, they'll love a Twinned Haste.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

You have access to Toll the Dead and that's quite good even if it's necrotic. Ask the DM if it can deal Radiant instead??

Toll the Living?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sorcerer is all about using Twinned Metamagic.

You can grab Sacred Flame as your basic attack but it's mediocre. You have access to Toll the Dead and that's quite good even if it's necrotic. Ask the DM if it can deal Radiant instead??

Guiding Bolt is an excellent 1st level offensive spell, that you can Twin for cheap (1 SP).
Bless and Shield of Faith are very good 1st level buffs, the latter a Bonus Action spell that likewise you can Twin.
Protection from Evil and Good, more situational but also very good Twinned.
Healing Word is clutch. Also bonus action that you can Twin if necessary.

Your best offensive option at 2nd level is Spiritual Weapon, deals Force though.

For 3rd level you can get Spirit Guardians, which is a great AoE Radiant damage spell, however Divine Soul sorcerer is a poor chassis for it due to your default low AC and HP.
If you have two decent martials in the party, they'll love a Twinned Haste.

Yeah, I'm not going solely radiant damage; Spiritual Weapon is already on my radar. I was just curious how mechanically viable it is to rely mostly on it and/or if I could buff it a bit the way some other elements could be improved, but wasn't seeing any. It's not my priority, but it is something I wasn't having much luck finding on my own so I thought I'd ask. I'm trying to keep my character's spells "appropriate" for their backstory and personality rather than winding up with a weird grab bag of stuff while still being effective.

And we have a DEX-based Eldritch Knight and some sort of Barbarian, so Twinned Haste is almost certainly happening, yes. Bit tricky avoiding having too many concentration spells though; Bless, Haste, Protection From Evil and Good, possibly Enlarge/Reduce, there's a whole lot of stuff like this.

Thanks, by the way.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well, you don't use all your concentration spells at the same time, of course, and in the particular case of Sorcerer you swap them out as you level up for new higher level spells. For example, Bless or Shield of Faith can be excellent 1st level slot uses early, but once you get to 5 you'd want to cast Haste instead in the situations where those would be useful.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Roland Jones posted:

And we have a DEX-based Eldritch Knight and some sort of Barbarian, so Twinned Haste is almost certainly happening, yes. Bit tricky avoiding having too many concentration spells though; Bless, Haste, Protection From Evil and Good, possibly Enlarge/Reduce, there's a whole lot of stuff like this.

Thanks, by the way.

I've got a level 8 divine sorc that leans towards support more than damage or control. Great class but like any sorc the limitation is on spells known. So mine has only two concentration spells. Currently Bless and Greater Invis. Bless really is a great support pick basically all of the time so there goes your concentration. Twinned haste/invis/poly/etc comes out during hard fights when you need the big boost, at a high cost in sorc points.

Some other stuff I took was Aid (I upcast it daily, no concentration, basically a free buffer), and the obvious picks like Healing Word, Shield, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor. You won't be able to take all the staples if you load up on situational concentration spells like Prot Evil. And I always take 1 damage spell, Fireball for now and probably for a long time. Blindness is another good pick since it's twinnable and not concentration.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Toll the Living?

Those are called Toll Booths

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Our group needs a beefy boi. I could do a paladin but I'm wondering -- is there any reason why an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian with Sentinel and polearms wouldn't work? I don't have the books in front of me so I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it seems like it'd give people a reason to try to hit me and I could use that and Sentinel to gently caress nerds up and control the space.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

PAM opportunity attack, Sentinel opportunity attack, and Spirit Shield all compete for your Reaction.

The Ancestral Guardian kit really is very simple and works on its own: you attack an enemy and that enemy has disadvantage to attack anyone but you, and any target it hits has resistance against damage, and furthermore you can use your reaction to reduce that damage (or from any other source). It's a Barbarian.

OTOH the kind of zone control you wish to do is more in line with Fighter (either Battle Master or Cavalier). They get more feats, too.

Vengeance Paladin also works, since at 7 they can reposition whenever they hit with a reaction (PAM and/or Sentinel), and at 9 they can self-cast Haste, which grants any martial melee martial amazing battlefield presence and opens up various options.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Our group needs a beefy boi. I could do a paladin but I'm wondering -- is there any reason why an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian with Sentinel and polearms wouldn't work? I don't have the books in front of me so I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it seems like it'd give people a reason to try to hit me and I could use that and Sentinel to gently caress nerds up and control the space.

Nah barbarians aren't very interesting in terms of options and probably worse tanks than paladins but they can really hit like a truck so its a decent option. You're hyper vulnerable to save vs sucks since you'll need str + con then dex to get yourself beefy enough to cope which realistically means you don't have room to protect your wisdom or really get great AC but huge right hooks should compensate to some degree.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man why can't any barbarian be mechanically interesting

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Man why can't any barbarian be mechanically interesting

Because it has to be appealing to barbarian players. :downsrim:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So assume I did a Conquest Paladin. Does Bane have any LN followers? I think LE is gonna be a hard sell for this particular group. I like his whole "crush the opposition" thing but the "worship me or die" thing doesn't seem to lend itself well to PCs.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So assume I did a Conquest Paladin. Does Bane have any LN followers? I think LE is gonna be a hard sell for this particular group. I like his whole "crush the opposition" thing but the "worship me or die" thing doesn't seem to lend itself well to PCs.

Eh, I'm personally pretty liberal about rewriting flavor text to fit the character, but that honestly depends on the campaign and the playgroup, so that may or may not work with your group. I mean, it's not like 3.5 where NPCs were expected to play by the same character building rules as PCs, and some prestige classes were pretty clearly designed with NPC antagonists in mind, so I'd assume that Oath of Conquest is meant to slot into your "average" adventuring party without too many complications, but it's ultimately up to you to decide the way you want to interpret your Oath tenets.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm looking for some kind of deity to add a little background heft to a character who's generally unsentimental and who looks at their oath as taking on the burden of doing what must be done. Less "muah ha ha I will make everyone bow to me" and more "Arthas did nothing wrong."

edit: I kind of like Hoar, Bane's exarch of revenge and ironic retribution.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 8, 2019

Happy_Cat
Jul 21, 2006
Welcome to the internet!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I ran into kind of the same situation with my group, granted we are super flexible on basically everything and alignments are no exception as long as you give a pretty plausible reason. My guy started our campaign as lawful good, but part of his backstory was that he was a pretty big idiot and is easily tricked into doing things even if they were pretty awful. My buddy in the same group plays a warlock and he actually played his guy entirely around getting my guy to stupid/evil stuff making him think it was good, so when it came time to pick an oath I just went with conquest and it was pretty easy to justify. Also in our case the group dynamic hasn't really changed a lot since my guy is still stupid as hell and easily manipulated, just now he wants to rule the world basically.

I am guessing none of this helps your situation much but I can say conquest is pretty awesome to play, so I would push for it if you can.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Is anyone here familiar with the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica? I'm in the middle of a campaign in the setting and having a lot of trouble figuring out how to be an effective party member, I feel like we're always one bad roll away from dying.

Party:
Vedalken Druid (me)
Loxodon Paladin
Centaur Monk
Goblin Sorcerer

I seem to be falling more into the healing/support role, which is fine, but I'm constantly conflicted between what's effective. None of my healing spells heal enough, and none of my damage abilities damage enough, and the most effective spells can only work one at a time thanks to concentration. Are there hidden gems in the druid spell list that I'm not seeing? GGR gives me access to Acid Splash, Expeditious Retreat, Alter Self, and Enlarge/Reduce in addition to the standard PHB + XGE druid spells.

(For context, the entire plane of Ravnica is one big city, and druids in my guild can only use Circle of the Land, so my Wild Shape is limited to urban animals for now).

vvv Circle of the Land (coast), Simic Scientist background.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 8, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What type of Druid are you?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Is anyone here familiar with the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica? I'm in the middle of a campaign in the setting and having a lot of trouble figuring out how to be an effective party member, I feel like we're always one bad roll away from dying.

Party:
Vedalken Druid (me)
Loxodon Paladin
Centaur Monk
Goblin Sorcerer

I seem to be falling more into the healing/support role, which is fine, but I'm constantly conflicted between what's effective. None of my healing spells heal enough, and none of my damage abilities damage enough, and the most effective spells can only work one at a time thanks to concentration. Are there hidden gems in the druid spell list that I'm not seeing? GGR gives me access to Acid Splash, Expeditious Retreat, Alter Self, and Enlarge/Reduce in addition to the standard PHB + XGE druid spells.

(For context, the entire plane of Ravnica is one big city, and druids in my guild can only use Circle of the Land, so my Wild Shape is limited to urban animals for now).

vvv Circle of the Land (coast), Simic Scientist background.

Healing Spirit is a really good healing spell.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well, Land Druids are just kind of "eh", but you do have a few good options in your spell list:

1st level:
Entangle: good CC choice as long as you are judicious with its positioning.
Goodberry: best 1st level out-of-combat healing spell.
Healing Word: best combat healing spell (bonus action pick-me-up, only one worth using really).
Faerie Fire: advantage for allies is nice.
Ice Knife: competent area damage at a distance.
Thunderwave: also competent area damage.

2nd level:
Healing Spirit: hands down the best healing spell in the game.
Heat Metal: situational but powerful.
Hold Person: also situational but powerful.
Moonbeam: solid damage
Pass Without Trace: take care of everyone's stealth checks for an hour.

3rd level:
Conjure Animals: if you get to pick the animals yourself, just conjure a CR2 Cave Bear and enjoy (two Cave Bears with a 4th level slot).
Call Lightning: meh, but you've got nothing else at this level

Your best round-to-round combat option is Shillelagh if you've got good AC/CON, otherwise stick to flinging fire with Produce Flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Call Lightning: meh, but you've got nothing else at this level

Honestly it's a pretty good blasty spell. The fact that you can keep blasting with it and get some AoE if you get the enemy bunched up has made it pretty useful in my games.