Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Goons always win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/1093228616916312065

I can’t tell if he’s desperately trying to sound tough, or he legit doesn’t remember due to brainworms

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m assuming that the person tweeting that does not know The Rock is a Republican.

Also there's no way someone who came up in the WWE and works in Hollywood doesn't have at least some disqualifying poo poo yet to be exposed, I don't care how charismatic and likeable the Rock may be.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

FuturePastNow posted:

They won't be term-limited, but the question is, can the VA Democratic party find someone who isn't a racist or a rapist

I have some doubts

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZndxiaWAAA_hbR?format=jpg&name=small

I nominate this good boy.

He has no history of sexual assault or blackface. He has however been known to on occasion roll in his own poop.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 6, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Koalas March posted:

This was a rough read. Dude needs to resign asap. I hope she has a good support system, I can't imagine what she is going through.

Yeah, I feel sick to my stomach every time I read it. I am just going to kill demons in Diablo 3 on switch for a couple days before I jump back in.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Stickman posted:

Did your "nothing matters" predictions of "the political realities" include realistically fact-based reasons to believe that both the #2 and #3 people in line would have enough of their own skeletons to force them to resign? If not, you were just a broken clock.

None of the political realities change the fact that all three of them should resign. In fact, that's the political reality if we want to continue to be able to hold our public figures accountable for their actions. Ideally, this will lead to candidates either airing their dirty laundry in advance of elections (together with apologies and explanations of rectifying work), or simply not running if they're sufficiently lovely.

I'm not talking about how many people in Virgina's leadership are fans of blackface or are rapists. My point was that if Northram didn't want to resign all he had to do was ride it out until the national media moved onto the next thing and that it was silly to say it was over and done and he was gone. I had no idea the next scandal would involve the next 2 people who could become Virginia governor, I figured Trump would just poop himself again or something. My only point was that good things seldom happen and premature smugness and celebration isn't realistic.

friendbot2000 posted:

Northam is going to resign, there is no question of that.

Sigh.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

I think the horse on the left should be the new governor of Virginia and the horse on the right the new Lt. governor.

Pence suddenly got interested in close bipartisan cooperation

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

DaveWoo posted:

I can’t tell if he’s desperately trying to sound tough, or he legit doesn’t remember due to brainworms

Adam poo poo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

DrNutt posted:

Also there's no way someone who came up in the WWE and works in Hollywood doesn't have at least some disqualifying poo poo yet to be exposed, I don't care how charismatic and likeable the Rock may be.

I agree that now is the time to scrutinize Lt Gov Johnson's past

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Thing is, even if it's the former, I guess he doesn't understand that not knowing who the chairs of the major committees are just makes him look like a moron, not someone too smart and important to be bothered knowing the names of all the little cogs, and even that just makes someone look like an rear end.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not talking about how many people in Virgina's leadership are fans of blackface or are rapists. My point was that if Northram didn't want to resign all he had to do was ride it out until the national media moved onto the next thing and that it was silly to say it was over and done and he was gone. I had no idea the next scandal would involve the next 2 people who could become Virginia governor, I figured Trump would just poop himself again or something. My only point was that good things seldom happen and premature smugness and celebration isn't realistic.

That's a better point, though I highly doubt Northram could ride out the majority of his own party calling for his resignation. That's a step beyond public pressure. And the silver lining here is that if these folks actually end up resigning, we'll at least cement the zero-tolerance policy for after-the-fact revelations of racism/rape/sexual assault, which is a very good thing in the long-term.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

friendbot2000 posted:

Northam is going to resign, there is no question of that.

Also...it feels hazy but I remember there being some buzz about the Fairfax thing at the DNC. Like, I swear I heard something about an Edwards Aide assaulting someone.

Probably lots of Edwards aides did that

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

President Big Boy Pants is mad again someone is picking on him and thinks this is harassment of the most powerful seat in the western world. I suppose when he did it to Obama for eight years and all the others he has since taking office doesn't count though.
What a little poo poo.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not talking about how many people in Virgina's leadership are fans of blackface or are rapists. My point was that if Northram didn't want to resign all he had to do was ride it out until the national media moved onto the next thing and that it was silly to say it was over and done and he was gone.

No loving way. The media LOVES calling out hypocrisy in the Dem party. Only the Repiblicans skate on it

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ague Proof posted:

Adam poo poo.

POTUS: Well I hope someone cleaned it up

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

Because the Establishment hates Lee Carter because he constantly calls them on their poo poo, is a general thorn in their side pulling them to the left, and was an upset candidate so I don't think they are going to send resources his way. Danica Roem is a trans woman and I shouldn't have to explain that one to you, even in her district.

Lee Carter won’t get much/any support from the party, but he’ll get support from labor. He’s shown up for the working folks both legislatively and physically. His presence at the A12 anti-Nazi rally, just as a man, not as a dude in a suit, will always be something I remember. And for anyone who ever shows up for grassroots things, I’ll bet they have stories similar to mine. If it’s real and it’s important, he’ll show up. It’s hard to ignore that kind of force.

Roem is a different sort, because she focuses so well on policy and keeping her message tight. I can see her coming in hot to a statewide race. I believe in her.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Nonsense posted:

Goons always win.

Don't worry, they've already forgotten about the whole thing.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1093233925546274816

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/1092979766922076160

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/falafelfacts/status/1093213911892086786

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Also, as a PSA:

It’s not Northram

It’s Northam

Or Coonman, Coonman works

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

1glitch0 posted:

Or, or, he could have just handled the situation differently than "Yeah, but I don't know which one I was" "That wasn't me" "I didn't know they printed that photo".
Something along the lines of "I am truly sorry that I had done such an ugly thing. I was young and stupid and have come to understand such things are intolerable". But no, he went with the racist screed of denial denial denial oh it was me denial foot in mouth

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Also, as a PSA:

It’s not Northram

It’s Northam

i think some things should go back to being unemployed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Actually surprising.

No doubt they'll be found by the end of the week. Or else they're being saved for the general

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Best reply:

https://twitter.com/campinmonkey/status/1093215462291169280

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Stickman posted:

That's a better point, though I highly doubt Northram could ride out the majority of his own party calling for his resignation. That's a step beyond public pressure. And the silver lining here is that if these folks actually end up resigning, we'll at least cement the zero-tolerance policy for after-the-fact revelations of racism/rape/sexual assault, which is a very good thing in the long-term.

I'm all for him resigning, but if he chooses not to I don't know what his party not liking him really matters. I'm kinda repeating myself here, but the next election isn't for 2 years. Some posters argued that his party won't work with him, but really? They're going to deadlock themselves in the legislature so he can't sign bills? Seems unlikely. They could impeach but that always seemed unlikely since that's a bold whole thing. So basically the only way for Northram to go away is if he decides it's the ethical thing to do. So it comes down to the wise judgement of a dude who almost broke out a moonwalk at his blackface apology press conference.

Now impeachment is probably off the table. AND the heat is kinda off him because his Lt Governor apparently raped a woman. So... probably a tough reelection campaign, but who knows. I don't see him resigning, though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

You know who didn't struggle with the question "Are Nazis bad?"? Hillary

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

SocketWrench posted:

President Big Boy Pants is mad again someone is picking on him and thinks this is harassment of the most powerful seat in the western world. I suppose when he did it to Obama for eight years and all the others he has since taking office doesn't count though.
What a little poo poo.

His use of "harrassment" bugs me. I don't remember hearing him use it before MeToo, which makes me suspect he's co-opting that language to make himself seem like a victim.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Also, as a PSA:

It’s not Northram

It’s Northam

Maybe whenever I think of him I just want to ram his racist face with my car. Dont judge.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

I'm all for him resigning, but if he chooses not to I don't know what his party not liking him really matters. I'm kinda repeating myself here, but the next election isn't for 2 years. Some posters argued that his party won't work with him, but really? They're going to deadlock themselves in the legislature so he can't sign bills? Seems unlikely. They could impeach but that always seemed unlikely since that's a bold whole thing. So basically the only way for Northram to go away is if he decides it's the ethical thing to do. So it comes down to the wise judgement of a dude who almost broke out a moonwalk at his blackface apology press conference.

Now impeachment is probably off the table. AND the heat is kinda off him because his Lt Governor apparently raped a woman. So... probably a tough reelection campaign, but who knows. I don't see him resigning, though.

He can't run for reelection. Virginia governors are limited to a single four-year term.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

Uhh...

Even if he could run for re-election...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How many shades darker would he have to go for it to be blackface anyway? Best not to pursue that line of thought, but he's definitely doing something immoral and profane with his skin here

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Fairfax resigning and Northam staying in office is exactly what'll happen in our hell timeline

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SocketWrench posted:

Or, or, he could have just handled the situation differently than "Yeah, but I don't know which one I was" "That wasn't me" "I didn't know they printed that photo".
Something along the lines of "I am truly sorry that I had done such an ugly thing. I was young and stupid and have come to understand such things are intolerable". But no, he went with the racist screed of denial denial denial oh it was me denial foot in mouth

As long as he finished the statement with "And I resign and will work hard in other roles to make up for what I've done" that'd be great. It's obvious he truly doesn't give a poo poo aside from how it affects his political career.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He can't run for reelection. Virginia governors are limited to a single four-year term.

Oh, I didn't realize. Thanks. Well then there's no way he's resigning.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:stare:

well VA is all hosed up.

Fairfax should be in prison, Northam should resign and I haven't made up my mind yet about Herring because he at least seems legit sorry and brought it up on his own.

Christ.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

Maybe whenever I think of him I just want to ram his racist face with my car. Dont judge.

Which direction should he gently caress off? North? Ummm....

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1093202422250512385

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Which direction should he gently caress off? North? Ummm....

As a Marylander, please god no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Didn't Trump take out a full page ad in the Times demanding the Central Park Five be executed even after they'd been exonerated? Seems a bit worse than blackface imo.