Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1093148562928685056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I love that. :allears:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Britain gonna brexit SO HARD to show that Tusk fellow

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

The 29th of March cannot come Fast Enough. We need to be rid of this venomous little man TUSK and Truly we have seen the mask slip from the face of the EU. No Longer will they appear to be a benign bureaucracy that is servant to democracy and respects the Will of it's People but rather an angry cabal of autocrats who only supports Democracy as far as it's electorate support.

Remainers need to Ask Themselves if this is what they truly Voted for? It is really Charming as who came to Polands aid in 1939? Great Britain did and THIS is the respect we receive from a Polish president.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Being Speaker seems like a dope job. Is there a Bercow mockery compilation somewhere?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1093166475572137985
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1093168216145387520

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
you euros are such weirdos with the “chlorinated chicken”

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Cluckles the Chlorinated Chicken says: "Eating chlorine-treated food is a-okay!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
it’s literally in your drinking water

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
whatever you big babies the chlorine adds taste and a yellow-green color

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Drunkboxer posted:

it’s literally in your drinking water

why would there be chicken poo poo in my water?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

anyhow the real problem isn’t the chlorine but the production process you’re about to enjoy with America that necessitates chlorine baths for food

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Crankit posted:

to add mouthfeel

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Crankit posted:

brexit

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1093125473633271808?s=19

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyhow the real problem isn’t the chlorine but the production process you’re about to enjoy with America that necessitates chlorine baths for food

It's an amazing clash of cultures and philosophies:

quote:

British supermarkets don't refrigerate eggs. It's not unusual to find stacks of egg cartons sitting alongside canned beans, boxes of dry cake mix, or other traditionally nonperishable foods.

This is unlike the US, where eggs are found in the refrigerated dairy aisle with the butter, cheeses, and milk.

The difference is linked to the way that eggs are farmed and processed in the US compared with in the UK and other European nations.

In the US, the Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires that eggs destined for supermarket shelves - called graded eggs - are washed and sprayed with a chemical sanitiser before they are sold to the public to reduce the risk of salmonella infection.

In the UK, Grade A hen eggs may not be washed because the process is thought to "aid the transfer of harmful bacteria like salmonella from the outside to the inside of the egg," according to the Food Safety Authority of Ireland. Forbes contributor Nadia Arumugam has previously noted that USDA graded eggs could not be legally sold in the UK (and the other way around) because of these different preparation methods.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twoday posted:

It's an amazing clash of cultures and philosophies:

That seems crazy. Are both sides right?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Wait, Liam Neeson is a racist? D'you think it'll turn out not to have been his daughter he was killing all the foreigners over in Taken?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bre8t

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

prefect posted:

probably. i'd imagine EU standards for raising lifestock would indeed increase the risk if the eggs were washed whereas American production methods are so indescribably terrible that the risk is lower if the eggs are washed

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

prefect posted:

If your egg came from a hen that had a name, was well cared for, and relatively well off then the European beliefs about eggs are correct. What do you think the odds are that's where the eggs you're eating came from? The EU has a higher rate of salmonella than the US because of a fantasy version of where food comes from. The data I found to back this up is old as hell and if someone has better please post.
Link to article
Basically though, if your layers exist in chicken-hell which is where the eggs we eat in America come from you need to wash them. Most of the eggs you eat elsewhere also come from chicken-hell but the manufacturers pretend they don't.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

prefect posted:

The European method tends to lead to eggs having a longer shelf life and lower risk of salmonella poisoning since all chickens have to be vaccinated. The downside is that all are chickens are now autistic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Thanks for the egg education, all. :tipshat:

Elevator Screamer posted:

The European method tends to lead to eggs having a longer shelf life and lower risk of salmonella poisoning since all chickens have to be vaccinated. The downside is that all are chickens are now autistic.

This one made me laugh out loud. :D

twoday
May 4, 2005

prefect posted:

The issue is further complicated by this:

quote:

The Right Refrigeration Methods

After an egg is refrigerated, it must be kept at that temperature. "A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria that could contaminate the egg," according to the United Egg Producers association. "Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours."
That's why the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention recommends that US consumers keep eggs refrigerated at temperatures of 40 degrees F - to prevent illness from bacteria. "In the EU it is generally suggested that eggs are stored at an ambient temperature of around 17 to 23 degrees C (62 to 73 degrees F)," Fielder says.

But there's another reason the UK is not as concerned about washing eggs as the US: Salmonella is not as big of a health concern in Britain. Egg farmers began vaccinating their hens in 1997, after thousands of people were sickened by the bacteria.
Although vaccination has been linked to a rapid decline of salmonella cases in the UK, US regulators have still not mandated immunisations, although many of today's eggs producers do vaccinate their hens. In 2010, the FDA said it would not legally require the vaccination of hens because "there was not enough evidence to conclude that vaccinating hens against salmonella would prevent people from getting sick," The New York Times reported. Farmers also complained that it would be expensive. Instead, the FDA controls the threat of salmonella through regular testing, refrigeration standards, and strict sanitary codes in hen houses and processing areas, The Times said.

Salmonella is the most common cause of food poisoning in the US, according to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The organisation estimates that more than 140,000 people get sick each year from eating eggs contaminated with the bacteria, which triggers non-life-threatening (though unpleasant) symptoms like diarrhoea, cramps, and vomiting.

So as you can see, just eggs have issues that involve vaccination standards, chemical treatment standards, temperature control (and thus also complicating the method transportation).

Now imagine that the UK wants to import American eggs, what a clusterfuck that would be, and how many different regulations and production processes would have to be changed before importing can begin.

Now imagine that's also the case for every other food product.

Also now it's april 1st and the UK is already running out of eggs. What do you do???

twoday has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Feb 6, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Brexit is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. Brexit is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion, it is the living infinite.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1093199924810973186

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gonna rule when Ireland becomes whole, cotlandbecimes independent, and England becomes north korea

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

nice repost

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The sun never sets on the brexit empire

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Third World Reagan posted:

The sun never sets on the brexit empire
The sun never sets on British crimes.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Agean90 posted:

Gonna rule when Ireland becomes whole, cotlandbecimes independent, and England becomes north korea

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

not like it matters, but why are cornwall and some spot in southwest-central england colored white on the map in that gif? i just read a few pages ago that cornwall voted leave by like 54%

twoday
May 4, 2005

It's from right after the vote and not everything was tallied, I think

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/indyref2-cards-how-scottish-social-8271708

Here's a similar one

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Agean90 posted:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

probably. i'd imagine EU standards for raising lifestock would indeed increase the risk if the eggs were washed whereas American production methods are so indescribably terrible that the risk is lower if the eggs are washed

it is seriously difficult to oversell how awful US egg farms are, and the treatment of the workers on them. they make hog CAFOs and slaughterhouses seem downright pleasant.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/trafficked-in-america/

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
To somebody more familiar with UK parliamentary procedure, would it theoretically have been possible for May to tie the deal to a VONC in a way that refusing the deal would at the same time constitute a VONC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

north england should get to go with scotland imo