Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Expect My Mom posted:

Winter Anime 2019 Stuff Such As: Vic Mignogna Is A Pedophile

seriously tho, you should probably make a thread if you want to i guess, like they did after the ruroni kenshin stuff

The ruroni kenshin thread started as a regular Kenshin thread it just turned into discussing that because holy poo poo what a reason for a hiatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Space Flower posted:

when one idiot makes a stupid post and gets negative karma for it, why screenshot it and post it everywhere and platform them

This is a good post. Who cares what one unimportant redditor or tweeter says.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

Winter Anime 2019 Stuff Such As: Vic Mignogna Is A Pedophile

seriously tho, you should probably make a thread if you want to i guess, like they did after the ruroni kenshin stuff

Eh, it's "Anine News", and the seasonal threads are kinda the closest we have to a general "anime news" thread.

Also I feel like the story with Todd Haberkorn and Jessie Pridemore that came to light this weekend,
probably caused a lot of stirrings behind the scenes and gave more credance to Vic being a creep.This SA post sums up what happened fairly well

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

I've been seeing a lot going around about Vic Mignogna recently. I've kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin my career. I didn't want to not get invited to conventions. But I can't keep quiet about it anymore. I used to have the same opinion as everyone else. "Oh well he's always been nice to me."; But after seeing his behavior evolve in front of me over the years and my own assault story, I can't keep it to myself anymore.

About ten years ago, I was a bright eyed and bushy tailed cosplayer at the height of my cosplay career. I was really well known for being the official character model for several anime companies and worked a lot with voice actors for events. I was also a high up staffer at a convention I loved. I was also going through a divorce.

A voice actor (I'm not willing to name because I can't be alone when I do this. He's too powerful in the community) (Todd Haberkorn) that I really admired and thought was cute was flirting with me. Used my divorce as an "in." Him and another man kept feeding me drinks. Despite another voice actor kicking him in the leg to stop, he kept going. He inviting me up to his room to see his "Japanese candy collection." I blacked out. I woke up half off his bed and undressed just from the waist down. I couldn't even see who's room I was in. I gathered my stuff and left horrified. After talking to a couple people, I pieced together what had happened that night. I was too young to understand what consent was in that situation and thought that he was truly interested in me. I'd give more details, but it would give his identity. So I went to the next convention he did. He spent the entire weekend treating me like garbage. When I finally opened up to my ex husband about what had happened, he told me I was raped. Even then I didn't want to admit it. Over the years, I found there was more girls that it happened to. He started telling people I was obsessed with him and just mad he didn't want to date me.

So the part about Vic. The guy (Todd Haberkorn) who raped me told everyone at an anime company I regularly worked with that we had hosed and that I was a con slut. He also told Vic. I played nice with Vic a lot because of my position in the community. At this point though, I had seen him be really lovely to people and staffers and knew he wasn't a good person. I ran into him at a con and said hi. We started chatting for a little bit and a couple fans ran up. I went to walk away, but he grabbed my arm and wouldn't let me leave. At one point, one of the fans starts talking about a series that he's in. I said that I actually really liked his role in it, I didn't even realize it was him (making a comment on how all his roles usually sound the same). He turns to me and says, "Oh I know why you like that series." He then slides his hand up through my hair (which was long at the time) on the back of my hair and tugs hard while saying "Because of (Todd Haberkorn)." I was stunned. My heart sank. A friend ran over (there were a lot of witnesses) and asked if she needed to take me away. I just didn't even know how to respond. And if that wasn't bad enough HE DID IT A SECOND TIME with the implication that if the other voice actor had "had" me, he could too. I RAN off in tears. Called a friend of mine in said anime company and told him that if Vic ever touched me again, I would kick him in the balls, I didn't care who I was working for.

fuckin y-i-k-e-s

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so, uh, whats worse, being a run of the mill date rapist, or physically assaulting a woman on stage in public

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

fuckin y-i-k-e-s
Holy crap. :stare:

Like I've known the thing about Mignogna being a poo poo for a while (even if you don't use google, literally the third most common search term including his full name doesn't paint a flattering picture, but Jesus poo poo the thing the lady posting that went through sounds like a goddamn horror story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The thing that sucks about the mignogna thing is that tons of people would circle the wagons anytime it came up, even though people knew about it for years. Not just voice actors, but 'woke' anime news sources/anime Tweeters, etc. The only reason it picked up steam this time is because a bunch of people timed it to when Mignogna was in a movie that was getting mainstream attention and non-anime news sources picked it up. I'm sure if they hadn't coordinated like that he'd still be fine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

The thing that sucks about the mignogna thing is that tons of people would circle the wagons anytime it came up, even though people knew about it for years. Not just voice actors, but 'woke' anime news sources/anime Tweeters, etc. The only reason it picked up steam this time is because a bunch of people timed it to when Mignogna was in a movie that was getting mainstream attention and non-anime news sources picked it up. I'm sure if they hadn't coordinated like that he'd still be fine.

I thought it had more to do with the big name fan Hazukari being outed as a bigger monster than even Vic has been accused of (yet) and the American anime community collectively going 'so, uh, any other serial child rapists we might have been giving way too much benefit of the doubt to?'

Seriously, it seems like that was a big wake-up call about bad behaviour at cons.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yikes is the entire english dub/voice actor scene scumbags?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

fuckin y-i-k-e-s

I sure hope the rest of the dub industry isn't full of creepy, rapey freaks. Now I feel even more justified in my decision to not give money to anime dubs that don't involve Crispin Freeman

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It sort of feels like it's a recipe for that kind of issue, given how it's a narrow niche field, built on personal relationships, with folks with access to young people and who have often cultivated edgy down-with-the-kids personas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also funimation is run by rick santorum

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Fangz posted:

Yikes is the entire english dub/voice actor scene scumbags?

Of course. When has it ever been wrong to extrapolate that a couple of bad actors are representative of an entire group?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

fuckin y-i-k-e-s

Christ.

HiveCommander posted:

I sure hope the rest of the dub industry isn't full of creepy, rapey freaks. Now I feel even more justified in my decision to not give money to anime dubs that don't involve Crispin Freeman

I'm gonna say that making this about anime dubs instead of about rapists and abusers in privileged positions is more than a little weird and wrong-headed tbh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Of course. When has it ever been wrong to extrapolate that a couple of bad actors are representative of an entire group?

lol if you dont immediately distrust anybody with an even minor amount of power prestige or wealth.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Lol if you think being an english dub VA is a very lucrative job for most people...:smith:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/02/05/my-hero-academia-test-anime-college-viral/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Unless you have some solid reason to believe that English VAs are more likely to be sex pests than Japanese VAs, Vic being a sex pest is a weird reason to boycott all dubs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think people are extrapolating a lot from statements.

My sentiment here is that Mignogna and Haberkorn are significant figures in a pretty small pond, and the revelations about them and the suggestion that others have covered them up, reflect pretty badly not just on them but the broader sector they worked in. With Japanese VAs, if similar allegations came out, it would be about an individual in a much larger pool. For someone comparable you'd be looking at someone like Jun Fukuyama and even then the damage would be much more isolated because you've got hundreds of others.

If you just avoid Mignogna and Haberkorn's shows you're avoiding a pretty big chunk of all the anime that get dubbed.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 6, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Julias posted:

Lol if you think being an english dub VA is a very lucrative job for most people...:smith:

power structures dont need to be large to foster abuse

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

give an inch, take a mile, etc

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fangz posted:

I think people are extrapolating a lot from statements.

My sentiment here is that Mignogna and Haberkorn are significant figures in a pretty small pond, and the revelations about them and the suggestion that others have covered them up, reflect pretty badly not just on them but the broader sector they worked in. With Japanese VAs, if similar allegations came out, it would be about an individual in a much larger pool. For someone comparable you'd be looking at someone like Jun Fukuyama and even then the damage would be much more isolated because you've got hundreds of others.

If you just avoid Mignogna and Haberkorn's shows you're avoiding a pretty big chunk of all the anime that get dubbed.

Mignogna maybe, but looking at the credits list for Haberkorn, its mostly just garbage with maybe some bit roles in a handful of popular shows.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Mignogna maybe, but looking at the credits list for Haberkorn, its mostly just garbage with maybe some bit roles in a handful of popular shows.

He's Natsu in Fairy Tail. That's not the biggest Shonen Jump behemoth, but it's still a Shonen Jump behemoth.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tbh I just googled "Famous English VA" and saw both of them in the seven people it suggested .

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

He's Natsu in Fairy Tail. That's not the biggest Shonen Jump behemoth, but it's still a Shonen Jump behemoth.

Fairy Tail ran in Weekly Shonen Magazine, not Shonen Jump.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fangz posted:

It sort of feels like it's a recipe for that kind of issue, given how it's a narrow niche field, built on personal relationships, with folks with access to young people and who have often cultivated edgy down-with-the-kids personas.

Large swathes of the general entertainment industry act the same way, so it's not really a surprise for it to pop up here.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbh I thought Mignola entered irrelevance years ago and was shocked when he started getting roles again relatively recently with Free (which led to being rehired as Broly, which is probably what set this off).

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm gonna say that making this about anime dubs instead of about rapists and abusers in privileged positions is more than a little weird and wrong-headed tbh.

Same. Talk about not being able to set aside priorities.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 6, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
In other anime news, here's a new Vinland Saga PV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJmBWvCfNU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a Kodansha property and one of their few that could compete with Shounen Jump.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you think Vic Mignogna didn't take advantage of the relative nicheness of anime in the west at the time he got big, or the inherent power dynamic of being someone with some amount of access to figures western fans consider insanely distant, or how undervalued and detested female anime fans were in the west at the time, you're fooling yourself.

I'm not saying 'burn all dubs' or anything because that angle is dumb, but there are dimensions to this that are exclusive to dubs, and especially the dub scene when he got big and when he was victimizing the most women, and ignoring that is setting yourself up for ignoring warning signs of other situations like this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

oh god I'm agreeing with endorph

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Julias posted:

In other anime news, here's a new Vinland Saga PV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJmBWvCfNU

So hype!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Guess wondering if there's more rapists in a community where two seemingly-high-profile VAs got outed is definitely bad.
Makes sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Guess wondering if there's more rapists in a community where two seemingly-high-profile VAs got outed is definitely bad.
Makes sense.

It's a good thing that's not what I said, then. There's going to be predators and abusers in any sufficiently large group. Yeah some of those groups will be structured in ways that make predation easier, but our response to that shouldn't be to just default to assuming that any particular member of said group is a rapist and predator, it should be to act in ways that minimize the threat to victims. Act to restructure the community in ways that make vulnerable people safer, and ensure that when things happen that victims are believed and consequences happen in order to act as a deterrent to future bad actors. Not just, y'know, shrug it off and go "well I guess I won't listen to dubs anymore cuz rapists" like you're scoring the weirdest possible point in the Dubs v Subs competition.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

HiveCommander posted:

Makes sense.

Mentioning money made your comment sound like a weird brag when this is really not the situation to try to get on top over something.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 7, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-08/voice-actor-kinryuu-arimoto-passes-away/.143168

Kinryuu Arimoto passed away :rip:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I believe it is good to highlight both the generalised systemic issues that lead to abuse as well as examining the specific failings of the anime community/dubbing companies in allowing this to go on for years.

It is perfectly appropriate in this instance to wonder if there are more abusers in the English language dub community, and about the dubbing community itself.

Also, burn all dubs on general principles.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:cry:

Gonna miss the old guy. :sadwave:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My god, Domestic Girlfriend is both hot garbage and kinda charming.

I cannot decide on this anime.

Enjoy today's episode wherein our hero
Gives his new step sister a sponge bath and and suppository, then refuses to sleep with a depressed and lonely girl who cuts herself, and instead cooks her a meal and sits down for something resembling a family meal that she never gets to enjoy due to her parents hating eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A suppository?