Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Leal posted:

[egg-hucking]

A drag in Homefront Revolution was that you could pick up a hefty housebrick to throw as a distraction but even scoring a headshot on an enemy troop with a good overhand burl would only annoy them, I was hoping it would knock them down or at least stagger them while you ran away and hid in a dumpster. Little things you hope to make some extracurricular game fun for ten minutes and are denied :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Len posted:

I went into the final boss fight with something like 30 rifle bullets and no spare handgun ammo. Yes I'm using the rifle a lot but that's because you won't give me bullets you bastard

Yeah, even if you don't use it much the default amount of rifle ammo you find in pre-ordained spots is more than enough for anyone with a healthy respect for the tactical disadvantages of staring down a scope in room full of angry ganados.

It really is the perfect game, though, or closer to it than any other game I've played.

It even has a reactive difficulty curve that basically no one noticed until years later, and I don't think any other game has done difficulty better.

Um... okay, so, I guess the TMP being the only weapon of its type, having it's own exclusive ammo and a lackluster exclusive upgrade was kind of lame.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
the TMP is the "I want to suplex everyone" weapon. One knee shot and they open their guard.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Suplex only" runs not being feasible is another thing dragging that game down.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ghost Recon: Wildlands I just remembered that this terrible piece of poo poo no good absolutely garbage putrid pile of game exists. Never ever playing it again but I will mention my favorite glitch that iirc still has not been patched is that if you're flying passenger in a helicopter, you can deploy a drone (intentional), except the drone will immediately blow up the helicopter because of some kind of collision fuckery (unintentional)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KH3

I don't like formchanges more than dual wielding. I miss the Drive form from 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So is the consensus that RDR2 is one big little thing in games dragging a game down?

I liked the first one well enough and 2 looks cool but most of the complaints I hear about it are the precise things I hate about these types of open world games and I don't have the time to waste figuring out how to dress up my cowboy or worry about bumping into someone in a saloon and starting a brawl. The menu system and the controls sound weird to me to and I never cared for Rockstar's button assignments in the first place, going all the way back to GTA3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

So is the consensus that RDR2 is one big little thing in games dragging a game down?

I liked the first one well enough and 2 looks cool but most of the complaints I hear about it are the precise things I hate about these types of open world games and I don't have the time to waste figuring out how to dress up my cowboy or worry about bumping into someone in a saloon and starting a brawl. The menu system and the controls sound weird to me to and I never cared for Rockstar's button assignments in the first place, going all the way back to GTA3.

Yeah, if that kind of stuff sounds like it will bother you RDR2 is not the game for you. I hated that game so much. And I say that as someone who likes rough edges in games- RDR2 had the time and budget that this wasn’t their reach exceeding their grasp, that weird bullshit was intentional.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a loving incredible game with a ridiculous amount of content. Some minor parts can be annoying, but I've rarely enjoyed an open world game more.

e: and the "weird bullshit" really is there for a reason, the game is almost always trying to get players to slow down as much as possible and soak up the atmosphere.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I feel like RDR2 is one of those games you will know going in if its your thing or not. I personally am of a broke brained mind that i still like the old school rockstar formula and RDR2 does it so well. I loved it and ate up every second.

If you don't well naw, I'm not even gonna try to convince you.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, tbh if you're the kind of gamer who likes a-b efficiency and very structured play RDR2 will drive you up the wall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RDR2 has been described as a Cowboy simulator and that's what I'm going with because I wasn't interested. You have to bathe your cowboy, you have to feed him a good meal, make sure he shaves and gets a haircut, get your clothes cleaned. If you decide to commit crimes don't use the same horse and clothes that you were wearing when you weren't doing crimes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like RDR2 is one of those games you will know going in if its your thing or not. I personally am of a broke brained mind that i still like the old school rockstar formula and RDR2 does it so well. I loved it and ate up every second.

If you don't well naw, I'm not even gonna try to convince you.

Same here. For me the thing dragging down RDR2 was how there were a million complaints online about how the design is "outdated'. They made a game, they made their design decisions, since when the hell is every game obligated to follow industry trends. :psyduck:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Same here. For me the thing dragging down RDR2 was how there were a million complaints online about how the design is "outdated'. They made a game, they made their design decisions, since when the hell is every game obligated to follow industry trends. :psyduck:

Dunno, I thought people didn't like mashing a button to run but it still persists to this day.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, tbh if you're the kind of gamer who likes a-b efficiency and very structured play RDR2 will drive you up the wall.

If you're an intellectual of high IQ like me, however

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

If you're an intellectual of high IQ like me, however

I didn't mean it in a bad way, honest! I love rhythm and fighting games and you don't really get more structured than them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Necrothatcher posted:

It's a loving incredible game with a ridiculous amount of content. Some minor parts can be annoying, but I've rarely enjoyed an open world game more.

e: and the "weird bullshit" really is there for a reason, the game is almost always trying to get players to slow down as much as possible and soak up the atmosphere.

Well you there you go then. I don't have a ton of free time these days so slowing down to make some in game coffee or a mini game of grooming my horse is not in my schedule.

RareAcumen posted:

RDR2 has been described as a Cowboy simulator and that's what I'm going with because I wasn't interested. You have to bathe your cowboy, you have to feed him a good meal, make sure he shaves and gets a haircut, get your clothes cleaned. If you decide to commit crimes don't use the same horse and clothes that you were wearing when you weren't doing crimes.

Yeah, gently caress, I can't even manage these things in real life.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Well you there you go then. I don't have a ton of free time these days so slowing down to make some in game coffee or a mini game of grooming my horse is not in my schedule.

I'd skip it then.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RareAcumen posted:

And yet, regardless of how you play, he dies of tuberculosis at the end of the game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And yet, regardless of how you play, he dies of tuberculosis at the end of the game.

Not necessarily. He might get shot in the head, instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started playing Just Cause 4 and it's kind of weird how the marketing talked up the whole weather control thing and the opening talks up the whole weather control thing but then you don't actually get to see it anywhere in the beginning of the game. You're assaulting the weather machine and instead of having a playable section where that happens it's just a cutscene where nothing happens and Rico just kind of crashes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

you might want opinions from both the horribly-overly-whiny threads like this one and the horrible-overly-circlejerky threads like the RDR2 thread

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Please don't take purchasing advice from threads made exclusively for complaining.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Please don't take purchasing advice from threads made exclusively for complaining.

It's a good way to save money though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

The only thing I did from this list was shaving and getting a haircut

Don't need to wash your clothes when you find a new cool set in another town.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

With full knowledge this is not the "Defend RDR2 Power Hour", you don't have to do those things. I believe if you go for a long time without bathing you might get some context dialog and response. Dudes at a poker table might say "SOMEONE SMELLS LIKE PIG poo poo" but I've heard them say that when I sit down at the table fresh out of happy fun (in game) bath time. You do need to eat if you want to regenerate some of those cores, but only if you don't have the time/opportunity to set camp and sleep. The shaving and haircut stuff is straight up Cowboy Dress Up and absolutely NOT necessary. You DO have to go to some extra lengths if you plan on doing some serious mischief, but that's to be expected. Also, that's only if you're trying to avoid serious warrants or possee's. The game seems to gently nudge you into playing white hat style based on some of the dialog, so of course it's going to be some extra steps if you plan on shooting everyone you meet in the face for a measly .23.

Thing ACTIVELY dragging down RDR2 for me.

Chase Missions STILL suck. Specifically, the one in Chapter 4 on foot through the large city. To make matters worse, the game then tells me I could have caught the guy way before the scripted event has it happen. I like the controls for the most part, but that bit SUCKED.

Also, not so much of a complaint as it is my old man memory but I cannot remember how to get your dude to "match speed" with NPC's. There's a text pop up near the beginning that details this and is NEVER mentioned again. Whereas I get told how to fish constantly.

Also, I wish there was a way to show items needed for the crafting stuff in-game.

hatelull has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Feb 6, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hatelull posted:

Also, not so much of a complaint as it is my old man memory but I cannot remember how to get your dude to "match speed" with NPC's.

Hold down X (or A).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

The only thing I did from this list was shaving and getting a haircut

Don't need to wash your clothes when you find a new cool set in another town.

hatelull posted:

With full knowledge this is not the "Defend RDR2 Power Hour", you don't have to do those things. I believe if you go for a long time without bathing you might get some context dialog and response. Dudes at a poker table might say "SOMEONE SMELLS LIKE PIG poo poo" but I've heard them say that when I sit down at the table fresh out of happy fun (in game) bath time. You do need to eat if you want to regenerate some of those cores, but only if you don't have the time/opportunity to set camp and sleep. The shaving and haircut stuff is straight up Cowboy Dress Up and absolutely NOT necessary. You DO have to go to some extra lengths if you plan on doing some serious mischief, but that's to be expected. Also, that's only if you're trying to avoid serious warrants or possee's. The game seems to gently nudge you into playing white hat style based on some of the dialog, so of course it's going to be some extra steps if you plan on shooting everyone you meet in the face for a measly .23.

Fair enough, like I said I don't know for sure because I wasn't interested and I only heard those things as what the game is like to play from other people when it came out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

StandardVC10 posted:

It's a good way to save money though.

It's true. I exclusively read negative reviews of games when deciding whether or not to purchase them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Find one trustworthy person and go with them and their opinions. I am available for reviews if anyone has questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Find one trustworthy person and go with them and their opinions. I am available for reviews if anyone has questions.

I've been wondering about RDR2 for a while now but am not sure whether I can trust the rest of this thread

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Unironically a good way of figuring out if you'd like something is watching for what people don't like about a game. If the criticism is weird and nitpicky to you, it's probably a good game.

I should've listened when everybody said that Octopath Traveller is for SNES rpg fans.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been wondering about RDR2 for a while now but am not sure whether I can trust the rest of this thread

Did you like the first one?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Did you like the first one?

Twist: I haven't played it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I think it’s a good game. I bought it brand new for sixty and have no regrets. I advise you to buy it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I think it’s a good game. I bought it brand new for sixty and have no regrets. I advise you to buy it.

More like oldthanksless

Edit: until now

Edit 2: because this post is thanking you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anyway sorry for the double post, but I'm also so enraged by the RE2 remake's insistence that I switch to another character with no abilities for a pre-scripted stealth sequence with instafails at every point if you don't figure out where the developers want you to hide anywhere along the way. I couldn't stand the original RE2's camera angles long enough to know whether it's in the original, but regardless, HOW IS IT SO GODDAMN HARD FOR DEVELOPERS TO UNDERSTAND THAT NOBODY LIKES THESE PARTS :kingsley:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Feb 7, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It wasn't a stealth section in the original, but Sherry did have a section where she had no weapons and had to avoid monsters, so here we are.

You can only really fail that sequence after the door is locked, and only if you let the flashlight fall fully on you. Just crouch behind cover until he moves the barrier, then when he goes back towards the door, run around the cover to the opening on the left near the bathroom, and just stay there until he goes to the bathroom. Then grab the key and book it. So long as you don't stand still or anything like that, he can't catch you.

edit: It occurs to me you probably figured all that out and more just complaining you have to do it at all, but if I may add to the complaint: While I don't mind that it's a short stealth section per se, especially since its so short, I am trying to get an S+ on Hardcore, and that requires beating the whole game in less than 2 1/2 hours, and there is no way to speed up Sherry's part, which is definitely a drag.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Feb 7, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

edit: It occurs to me you probably figured all that out and more just complaining you have to do it at all

Basically yeah, I beat it, but it followed the same annoying sequence as every time games do this: I generally know what I need to do, but I start dying because I'm a little bit slow to get to the right cover, or I guess wrong about where to hide. Then I start dying because I know what to do but I'm so bored I get lazy about what I'm doing. And each of those requires time for reloading and waiting for the scripted sequence to play out, in the end it's maybe 30 minutes of getting angry to do something like 3 minutes of gameplay. It's aggravating because it happens in so many games, and I've never heard anyone praise them as anything stronger than "doable" so I don't know why it's such a common type of setpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

In Life is Strange: before the storm: episode one (1), The voices can vary wildly on subjects. Talking about a poster can sound one way and then looking at the next poster has a noticeable echo or the characters voice has a totally different emotional twang. Other than that, it reminds me exactly of being a teenage girl.