Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yo what the hell is this

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs_gLX9FVPU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1wss8ye0au6l7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
It's a bad idea but it is hilarious. Having two crates in that spot basically means you literally should never drop anywhere else.

e: also it isn't on live, there's no cave system there.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's an easter egg. And a very good one.

(at least I hope that's what it is, that would be one dumb as hell feature to put in the actual live game)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 23, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's an easter egg. And a very good one.

(at least I hope that's what it is, that would be one dumb as hell feature to put in the actual live game)

The red zone still exists, so I have no doubt they'll push this dumb place onto live.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hellsau posted:

It's a bad idea but it is hilarious. Having two crates in that spot basically means you literally should never drop anywhere else.

e: also it isn't on live, there's no cave system there.

I can't wait to just flood that area with Molotovs. :unsmigghh:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit: So, canted sights, new SMG, NIGHT MODE ON VIKENDI!

https://www.pubg.com/2019/01/23/test-server-update-25-patch-notes/

Also they added the most important feature from CS:GO.

Night mode and canted sights are going to be pretty nice

Anyone figure out where he rammed that Uaz into????

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 24, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

I can't wait to just flood that area with Molotovs. :unsmigghh:

Night mode and canted sights are going to be pretty nice

Anyone figure out where he rammed that Uaz into????

Northeast of the last "O" in "Pochenko"

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Half the server floods to that area now, it's comical

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

That new AKM skin has a 1/625 drop chance on a crate you'll need to pay 2 or 3 dollars to open. :yikes:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Half the server floods to that area now, it's comical

It is an incorrect play to do anything else. Even if you whiff on vehicles and can't get in, you can loot up and fight the winners, or get plenty of easy kills on others who failed. If you do get lucky on your vehicle spawn, you get kitted and stocked full of attachments and meds and also get to murder like 10 people for free.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hellsau posted:

It is an incorrect play to do anything else. Even if you whiff on vehicles and can't get in, you can loot up and fight the winners, or get plenty of easy kills on others who failed. If you do get lucky on your vehicle spawn, you get kitted and stocked full of attachments and meds and also get to murder like 10 people for free.

The right thing to do is wait for plane to have a super bad angle and jump for the nearest vehicle and make a beeline. Otherwise all the other cities will be safer to drop at with more loot

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jiro posted:

The right thing to do is wait for plane to have a super bad angle and jump for the nearest vehicle and make a beeline. Otherwise all the other cities will be safer to drop at with more loot

Sounds like a recipe to get a whole lotta loot, shoot at nothing, and maybe win a 2 kill game if you don't get owned by the player who ended up with M249 + AWM + level 3 gear.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Sounds like a recipe to get a whole lotta loot, shoot at nothing, and maybe win a 2 kill game if you don't get owned by the player who ended up with M249 + AWM + level 3 gear.

Just watched Taco lose two games after working into the cave and getting all of the loot. Being late to that fight might make a ton of sense.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

Nah the correct play is getting half the map to yourself and setting up for all those losers who shot most their armor off to come on in a later circle and get MULCHED

You also def never wanna be the first one in that gigantic clusterfuck anyways, you're never making it out alive, or at least most your squad isn't

Hellsau posted:

If you get owned after having the full capability of taking a massive swath of loot (L3 vest+helm, SLR's, etc) and probably crates due to half the server dumping their lives in one small area, you definitely played that fight wrong.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 24, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I really wish I could play the occasional miramar or erangel match in NA fpp solo. Queuing specifically for those maps never finds a game (except erangel during primetime), and doing quick join just drops you into whatever everyone else is already queuing for, so you'll only ever see sanhok and vikendi. It's a really loving dumb system and it seems like it'd be so easy to fix. Have the devs mentioned this at all? At this point, I literally have no way of playing miramar, ever

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hooplah posted:

I really wish I could play the occasional miramar or erangel match in NA fpp solo. Queuing specifically for those maps never finds a game (except erangel during primetime), and doing quick join just drops you into whatever everyone else is already queuing for, so you'll only ever see sanhok and vikendi. It's a really loving dumb system and it seems like it'd be so easy to fix. Have the devs mentioned this at all? At this point, I literally have no way of playing miramar, ever

It's an insanely stupid system. I was doing solo squads to get into Miramar, with a 2 or 3 minute queue time.

The current system is both inefficient and ineffectual. You'd think people with Quick Play want to play all the maps, otherwise they'd have chosen their preferred map. If they're gonna do it that way, they shouldn't have removed map selection, since what's the difference to the matchmaker between choosing Quick Play and only getting Sahnok or Vikendi, and having actual map selection and choosing Erangel, Sahnok, and Vikendi, and still only getting Sahnok or Vikendi?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
What they really need to do is add a rotating daily BP bonus for playing on a specific map. Not enough to make a serious difference but enough to give each map a bit of exposure and playtime. Whichever map is newest at the time will always get plenty of play either way.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Mash posted:

What they really need to do is add a rotating daily BP bonus for playing on a specific map. Not enough to make a serious difference but enough to give each map a bit of exposure and playtime. Whichever map is newest at the time will always get plenty of play either way.

They could just make the daily challenges map specific and cycle it that way...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

There's some super small download for the live server that pretty much has been making my games crash five seconds into a match. Guess it's test server for me tonight.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Hey Yuge, was that you dumpster diving on Choco's stream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXi53BeWvFw&t=341s

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 25, 2019

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

There's some super small download for the live server that pretty much has been making my games crash five seconds into a match. Guess it's test server for me tonight.

I was having awful performance consistently. 20 fps, or sometimes straight up crashes. Maxxed out ram and cpu all the time.

Updated my display drivers and its been 61 frames or better ever since, just something to try that made a dramatic difference for me

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We’ve all noticed huge frame performance on test server. It’s so dang smooth now. Love the canted sights and night mode. It’s cool to see competition driving some nice changes.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How are you guys binding canted sights? Hold for RDS, tap for scope?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I just set it to alt. You're not free-looking if you're ADS'd so it's a free key.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Canuckistan posted:

Hey Yuge, was that you dumpster diving on Choco's stream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXi53BeWvFw&t=341s

Sure was. I have yet to acquire a life. Windows update broke my soundboard though pepehands.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So, thoughts on Apex Legends?
Chocotaco did a sponsored (presumably) stream and it didn't really look like it brought anything that CoD BR didn't already bring plenty of, unless I'm mistaken. Well, it brought F2P I guess...

It's funny that none of the latecomer BR games seem to be even trying to take a bite out of PUBG. It's all arcadey "run 15 MPH, leap buildings" stuff. At least this one has a new gimmick (heroes).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It's because nobody is going to beat PUBG's gunplay so they should try to make a fun game that isn't so serious/real (minus the bugs :D)

Apex seems to run really well and looks fun. Not my type of shooter because it's a bit arcadey, but I'm not going to bash it. Also, fortnite is f2p so it didn't really bring that either.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Better prospective game:

Arma 4 BR mod

PUBG 2

?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Pubg 2 developed by Valve please.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Apex Legends is a nice alternative when I'm not up for the PUBG grind. It's definitely closer to Blackout, but free is good and I enjoyed Titanfall 2 a lot so I'm liking the gameplay. The context pinging and voice call outs are really nice, but I'm not sure if they would work in PUBG.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I strongly prefer the cold war mil-sim weapons and realistic locations that create the aesthetic of PUBG, but the polish (UI, pacing, load times, performance) of AL makes a powerful argument. I like and will play both, but its going to be a lot easier to find time for AL.

Also what I love most about the "hero genre" isnt the abilities, it's the one-liner "contextual callouts" that tf2 made popular and overwatch continued. AL has that and, if they can write good material, it'll be a big influencer for me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I like AL so far, it feels a little like Quake Arena in the setup eventual large roster of characters with different abilities that you can choose to pony up for or not. Hopefully they can keep it balanced. I do like when you're dropping into an area it can tell you the range of loot you're going to find, that's really helpful in getting a hang of what you want to find and where depending on plane drop.

Tandem 3 person rocket flight is neat especially the different color trails makes it so easy to track who goes where. I'm hoping they stick a duos mode into it soon. Solos I can see being really broken depending on the character choice, so maybe a solo mode that disables your abilities and ults.

It really is a novel idea of the respawning mechanic, high risk to bring back someone completely.

Gripes would be mag size are super loving low even with an extended. Overall it's a fun casual experience. Hopefully it has staying power. And new maps are free to play on, cause gently caress Blackout's model of paying for new maps.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I can't watch Apex Legends for very long. There's just something about the game, I think it's the sound, that just becomes way too much to take after a while. Also the gun balance seems atrocious but that's from a limited amount of viewing and no play, but from that limited perspective it seems like some guns shouldn't be in the game because they simply do nothing to enemy players and instead are newbie traps.

I think 3 player squads is way more palatable for spectating than 4 player squads, for similar reasons that 3 person podcasts are easier to digest than 4+ person ones, so that's neat.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like if I want to play Overwatch, then I can just play Overwatch.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Star Man posted:

I feel like if I want to play Overwatch, then I can just play Overwatch.

Apex plays absolutely nothing like Overwatch. It's closest to CoD if anything.

Hellsau posted:

Also the gun balance seems atrocious but that's from a limited amount of viewing and no play, but from that limited perspective it seems like some guns shouldn't be in the game because they simply do nothing to enemy players and instead are newbie traps.

From my experience so far most of the guns actually are totally viable and fill different niches. The only two guns in the game that actually seem bad are a couple of the pistols, but most every other gun seems functional. It compares quite favorably to PUBG on those terms, which has entire categories of gun that are useless past the first 60 seconds of a game.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's a lot of fun

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

It's good only because it has OC servers that actually fire, unlike pubg. I'll still play pubg though, but AL will steal some of my time for sure.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I've cooled some on AL as I play it more but every battle royale needs to steal their pinging system, especially for stuff like items

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Verdict - fun! I don't know if it scratches the same tactilol itch as PUBG, but I like it better than fortnite.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It’s fun. I still prefer the milsim style of PUBG. Why do devs always feel the need to poo poo up the screen with effects and eye candy? Hit markers, excessively cartoonish scopes, etc.

Either way, Apex already feels more polished than blurps. Plus there’s no extremely annoying camera sway when you run. I could take or leave the special powers. I’ll probably spend more time with it.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Pubg 2 developed by Valve please.

I would pay all the money for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

valve doesn't develop games anymore