Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

This came up in 2012, too. Taking the test prior to getting into a public pissing match with the president would've been a smarter move than basically acting on a front-page dare.

Or don't take the test, period, which is a better move. You take the test and it says you're lots of American Indian? POTUS won't give a poo poo. And you've still alienated tribes that call bullshit on DNA tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

warren apologized for it at least.

if you want a candidate with nothing to apologize for, you better lower the age you can run for president to like... late-term abortion age.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And the recent card "story" was such a non-story.

Candidate, publicly, for decades: I have American Indian heritage.

Candidate later: Maybe I don't really and my family overstated it to me when I was younger. Oops, sorry.

News: OMG decades ago she said she had American Indian heritage!!!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Warren taking the test is mostly a matter of an establishment/decorum politician failing to realize that the game has changed. Very few dems have realized it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Man, if Warren's heritage becomes analogous to Hillary's Email coverage in the quantity of press when the current president bragged about sexual assault and has been involved in numerous, documented, court-adjudicated charity/education/employment/discrimination cases, I don't know... I'm going to begin to suspect that the US has a real problem with latent bigotry against women or something!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Or don't take the test, period, which is a better move. You take the test and it says you're lots of American Indian? POTUS won't give a poo poo. And you've still alienated tribes that call bullshit on DNA tests.

Also true.

colachute posted:

warren apologized for it at least.

if you want a candidate with nothing to apologize for, you better lower the age you can run for president to like... late-term abortion age.

It felt like an apology for being caught. Which is par for the course, and I agree with the last bit too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Isn't the Warren thing literally an ad campaign that one of those DNA ancestry companies uses?

"Family lore says we're German, but we're actually Italian!"

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In her defense, Donald Trump did say that he would give a million dollars to charity if she took the DNA test. She took the DNA test, he failed to pay and basically said it wasn't a real test and that he had to administer the test himself in order for the deal to count, and failed to pay. I'm guessing her and her team were hoping the media would put his feet to the fire for failing to follow through on giving a million dollars to charity. Instead they focused on her doing the test, and people treated her like poo poo for it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasudus posted:

Warren taking the test is mostly a matter of an establishment/decorum politician failing to realize that the game has changed. Very few dems have realized it.

Honestly the sooner more Dems realize it's ok and good to just tell the gop to gently caress off with their bullshit the better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Man, if Warren's heritage becomes analogous to Hillary's Email coverage in the quantity of press when the current president bragged about sexual assault and has been involved in numerous, documented, court-adjudicated charity/education/employment/discrimination cases, I don't know... I'm going to begin to suspect that the US has a real problem with latent bigotry against women or something!

:airquote: suspect :airquote:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Exactly.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

Honestly the sooner more Dems realize it's ok and good to just tell the gop to gently caress off with their bullshit the better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

In her defense, Donald Trump did say that he would give a million dollars to charity if she took the DNA test. She took the DNA test, he failed to pay and basically said it wasn't a real test and that he had to administer the test himself in order for the deal to count, and failed to pay. I'm guessing her and her team were hoping the media would put his feet to the fire for failing to follow through on giving a million dollars to charity. Instead they focused on her doing the test, and people treated her like poo poo for it.

I forgot about the charity thing...that does reframe it a bit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FAUXTON posted:

theyre waiting to hear back from their focus groups and donors

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

facialimpediment posted:

This is like seeing a beloved family member get dementia, but worse.

https://twitter.com/bafeldman/status/1093310681384919040

https://goatse.cx/

I don't know what any of that means, but I know that I hate it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Warren definitely screwed up with the dna test- there was just no winning no matter what she did. Hell, my tribal claim is pretty weak and not much better than hers (everyone in the south says they have a Cherokee grandma, I just turned out to be telling the truth). She shouldn't have engaged and just pointed out that once again the republicans are focusing on racism for their arguments against the democrat front runner rather than fighting her on her merits. As for whether or not she counts, my friends in Cherokee said it best- "I'm not that interested in who her ancestors were, I want to know what she'll do for native issues."

Hell the second Eastern Band chief was a white dude that bought as much land as he could so they could stay in NC.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The winning choice would be to loving apologize for her racist bullshit, not continuously double down but now she's stuck with this albatross entirely of her own creation

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Assuming my parents/grandparent's heritage doesn't have any unexpected results, and assuming that the limited pictures I have of my paternal great-grandfather are actually him, I should be 12.5% Cherokee. I've never bothered to take a DNA test, not that I really care about the results or would do anything with it other than know my *likely* ethnic background.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
It doesn't help that dna tests don't really do well with eastern tribes because of racial mixing for the last ~300 years so it's hard to get a "clean" sample to test against. I think 23andme recently changed their test so it only looks at western tribes and central/south american tribes.

There's also the weird outlier cases like the Cherokee Freedmen descendants who were considered part of the Cherokee Nation till someone decided they weren't anymore, and the federal government had to step in and say "yes they are." Tribal identity and recognition are a loving mess.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I don't know. Supposedly my paternal great grandfather was some random schmuck on the reservation in Oklahoma (unlike most people that claim their grandmothers were princesses or some poo poo, I know my heritage was just some randos) and then he hosed off to Chicago to work as a welder for skyscrapers. Or so the story goes, the gently caress if I know how accurate it is considering that the family tradition on my dad's side was to be a bunch of drunks that hate their fathers.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
More or less the same here (esp. the alcoholic part) but mine went to Pennsylvania instead.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How would Trump administer the test himself?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Imagine that clip of him pretending to shovel coal only he's holding test tube. Most likely he'd try to obtain the DNA from her pussy while joking about Custer's Revenge.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

LingcodKilla posted:

The Kashoggi method

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: nah, bad joke.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/

quote:

A little after 1:30 a.m. on June 17, 2017, Alexander Vaughan tumbled from his bunk onto the floor of his sleeping quarters on board the Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald. The shock of cold, salty water snapped him awake. He struggled to his feet and felt a torrent rushing past his thighs.

Around him, sailors were screaming. “Water on deck. Water on deck!” Vaughan fumbled for his black plastic glasses and strained to see through the darkness of the windowless compartment.

Underneath the surface of the Pacific Ocean, 12 miles off the coast of Japan, the tidy world of Berthing 2 had come undone. Cramped bunk beds that sailors called coffin racks tilted at crazy angles. Beige metal footlockers bobbed through the water. Shoes, clothes, mattresses, even an exercise bicycle careered in the murk, blocking the narrow passageways of the sleeping compartment.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

holy goddamn:

quote:

The radar was supposed to automatically follow the hooked tracks on the screen. But Fitzgerald sailors had been unable to make the feature work.

To follow the hooked tracks, Stawecki had to repeatedly press a button that refreshed the display on his screen. The workaround made Stawecki look like he was sending a frantic message in Morse code. He would hit the button more than 1,000 times in an hour to keep the images of nearby ships updated. Just before the collision, Stawecki’s screen showed five ships around the Fitzgerald, none of them close by, none of them threats and none of them requiring reporting to the captain.

&

quote:

The SPS-67 had another problem: radars must be tuned to obtain the clearest images. On the Fitzgerald, technicians had covered a button to tune the radar with masking tape because it was broken. From his post, Stawecki could not tune the radar. So the only other thing he saw were false returns — so-called clutter that could result from the radar hitting waves, flocks of birds or any other obstacle at sea. Stawecki would later testify that he saw no ships threatening the Fitzgerald in the crucial half-hour before the collision.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Amazing. I bet there are safety regulations for civilian seafaring that the Fitzgerald would have failed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I bet there are USN regs they'd have failed if C7F gave a poo poo about his people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ded posted:

The president telling the senate and house to set abortion laws is pretty loving disturbing. Especially since he was given a standing applause for it.

What are the odds if they do that they'll come after other contraceptives afterwords

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

100%

It all falls under the umbrella of controlling women.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i mean it was more a rhetorical question but yeah.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I gotta admit I’m pro life, but I don’t have a vagina so my thoughts on the matter aren’t worth poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I gotta admit I’m pro life, but I don’t have a vagina so my thoughts on the matter aren’t worth poo poo.

isn't this exactly what it means to be pro-choice? it doesn't matter what I think because its not my body so my opinion is worthless.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

oH HELLO NIGHTMARES

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

I bet there are USN regs they'd have failed if C7F gave a poo poo about his people.

Regs about the most basic elements of seaworthiness and mission capability, for sure.

quote:

The warship’s state of readiness was in question. The Navy required destroyers to pass 22 certification tests to prove themselves seaworthy and battle-ready before sailing. The Fitzgerald had passed just seven of these tests. It was not even qualified to conduct its chief mission, anti-ballistic missile defense.

Regs about manning, probably.

quote:

The Fitzgerald had around 270 people total — short of the 303 sailors called for by the Navy.

Key positions were vacant, despite repeated requests from the Fitzgerald to Navy higher-ups. The senior enlisted quartermaster position — charged with training inexperienced sailors to steer the ship — had gone unfilled for more than two years. The technician in charge of the ship’s radar was on medical leave, with no replacement. The personnel shortages made it difficult to post watches on both the starboard and port sides of the ship, a once-common Navy practice.

Regs about standing watch, probably.

quote:

A video taken just minutes before the accident, for example, clearly shows the Maersk Evora illuminated from 10,000 yards away. The Crystal also had navigation lights running, and it was less than a few thousands yards away at the same time.

But nobody, it turned out, was standing watch on the starboard side of the ship.

In years past, commanders traditionally posted lookouts on the port and starboard sides of the bridge. The lookouts had one job: search the sea for hazards. But Navy cutbacks in personnel prompted Benson and other captains to combine the duties into a single job. “We just don’t have enough bodies, qualified bodies, to have a port and starboard lookout,” said Samuel Williams, a boatswain’s mate first class.

Parker, Coppock’s No. 2 that night, was supposed to walk back and forth between the two sides during the watch, with the rest of the bridge team helping her keep an eye out.

But Parker had walked out onto a small metal deck located off the bridge on the port side of the Fitzgerald just after 1 a.m. She was there with Womack, trying to fit in some training by helping him develop his seaman’s eye, the ability to estimate distance and bearing by sight. Parker had not received a promotion on a previous ship, after its commanding officer thought she had trouble assessing the risk posed by ships in the surrounding ocean.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arc Light posted:

Regs about the most basic elements of seaworthiness and mission capability, for sure.

Regs about manning, probably.

Regs about standing watch, probably.

Jesus, there are age of sail maritime customs this ship would fail.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
She’d still be overmanned by civilian standards (a ship the Fritz’s size on the civilian side can probably sail with a crew of 12-15 people) but there’s no way she wouldn’t get detained for the radar issues.

I was on a cargo ship with only one working radar once, there was a lot of paperwork involved in getting us a conditional class certificate to allow us to get to our next port where we would fix the radar. (Then the other radar failed and we went through an ice field with binoculars and prayers but heh).

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Jesus, there are age of sail maritime customs this ship would fail.

"The investigation found that the ship's grog ration was incorrectly prepared and in insufficient quantities".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

isn't this exactly what it means to be pro-choice? it doesn't matter what I think because its not my body so my opinion is worthless.

Yes, but the pro-life side intentionally conflates pro-choice with pro-abortion even though pretty much no one falls into the latter category.