Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yep. He even keeps his character voices consistent across all of the books.

Not like Gideon Emery in the Laundry Files books. That guy can't seem to decide how Pinky and Brains should sound (sound one way in the first book, inexplicably swap their voices in the second, swap back the next time they show up, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
His range and skill is truly impressive. Probably the best I've yet heard, and his ability to manage and deliver so many different voices with such brilliance really sells the book as having a wide ranging cast. His is the standard for what an audiobook performance should be.

You could play unattributed clips of dialogue and instantly know exactly which character is speaking.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

gerg_861 posted:

Not sure if it counts as Urban Fantasy or just Fantasy, but The Magicians trilogy was very enjoyable. It starts like a Harry Potter knock off, but becomes something more in short order.

I liked the magicians a lot but drat the characters were unlikeable douches almost without fail.

Of course this is important because a big part of the universe is that only fundamentally unhappy people seem to be drawn to magic.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

His range and skill is truly impressive. Probably the best I've yet heard, and his ability to manage and deliver so many different voices with such brilliance really sells the book as having a wide ranging cast. His is the standard for what an audiobook performance should be.

You could play unattributed clips of dialogue and instantly know exactly which character is speaking.

Now that I see he had small roles in Doctor Strange and the Justice League, I'm going to have to go back to hear him on film.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Saros posted:

I liked the magicians a lot but drat the characters were unlikeable douches almost without fail.

Of course this is important because a big part of the universe is that only fundamentally unhappy people seem to be drawn to magic.

I thought that was a clever observation that wasn't fun to read about as well.

The Magicians world building makes a better thing to joke about than a reading experience.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Didn't expect the Mercy Thompson books to start such a back and forth. Kinda have to try them now.

Criticism aside it handles urban fantasy in a much different way from Dresden by framing fae/vampires/etc as marginalized people in a world ruled by humans, and that results in some pretty interesting stories and interactions. As long as the stuff discussed doesn't bother you, definitely check them out.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Has anyone read The Hum and The Shiver by Alex Bledsoe? Wondering how different it is from his other pieces of work.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Also has anyone tried Brotherhood of the Wheel by R. S. Belcher? I picked it up because the synopsis sounded weird enough to be either really cool or awful. I'm only two chapters in and it's still setting things up, but I'd appreciate a warning if there are any big red flags for it.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Darksaber posted:

Also has anyone tried Brotherhood of the Wheel by R. S. Belcher? I picked it up because the synopsis sounded weird enough to be either really cool or awful. I'm only two chapters in and it's still setting things up, but I'd appreciate a warning if there are any big red flags for it.

I found it to be a decent time passer while listening to the audiobook on my commute. It was a much better offering than his Nightwise book which, if I recall correctly, had the protagonist throwing some serious male gaze on a victim and going on about how his girlfrield is into BDSM. That was around the first chapter...

Belcher also has a weird west series, Golgotha, which I found to be a much better book than Nightwise and is the only reason I picked up Brotherhood. And I just found out he has a sequel to this which features a plot around killer clowns in a Pennsylvania trailer park so I know what I'll be picking up next.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Saros posted:

I will say that the character of Penny is a master-class of a character, both in terms of what he is and in terms of how he serves the larger story.

He is Peak Goon.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Exmond posted:

Has anyone read The Hum and The Shiver by Alex Bledsoe? Wondering how different it is from his other pieces of work.

I thought they (the Tufa books) were neat. Not urban fantasy, though - maybe rural? hick? boondocks? Being situated in West Tennessee and all.

The premise is a spoiler but they're about a group of people who have lived isolated lives in the backcountry for a suspiciously long time, are perhaps not quite what they seem, and about their interactions with the world/people at large. Lots of music and moonshine. Also an occasional ostrich.

Compared to Bledsoe's previous work these are weirder and I think a fair bit more original.

One caveat: the books are shortish and expensive.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I just finished The Revanche Cycle and have no clue how in the hell these tie back to the main Faust plot. Even the way magic is used is wildly different.

The only thing I picked up on was the cycle of death and rebirth, but everything from BSG to The Wheel of Time has abused that trope, and nobody in this series had the formal titles like they do in Faust.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OptimusWang posted:

So I just finished The Revanche Cycle and have no clue how in the hell these tie back to the main Faust plot. Even the way magic is used is wildly different.

The only thing I picked up on was the cycle of death and rebirth, but everything from BSG to The Wheel of Time has abused that trope, and nobody in this series had the formal titles like they do in Faust.

I completely lost interest after the first Revanche Cycle book but the Wisdom's Grave trilogy will beat you over the head with its connections to Faust

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OptimusWang posted:

Nessa is literally The Witch.

Mari is literally The Knight.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nessa is literally The Witch.

Mari is literally The Knight.

Are those mentioned yet in the Faust books? I’m reading them in order and only remember him being faked into the role of The Thief.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

OptimusWang posted:

Are those mentioned yet in the Faust books? I’m reading them in order and only remember him being faked into the role of The Thief.

The whole Wisdom's Grave trilogy, a spin off (more like a crossover event really) is based around them. And it's great.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Junkenstein posted:

The whole Wisdom's Grave trilogy, a spin off (more like a crossover event really) is based around them. And it's great.

I really enjoyed that trilogy. It goes completely off the rails. Nessa is a pure wrecking ball once she gets going. It's not a perfect analogy, but there are some parallels to Darth Vader's arc in Empire and RotJ.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Nice! I’ll keep reading then for the Vader-esque payoff :unsmith:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OptimusWang posted:

The Thief, The Paladin, The Oracle, The Knight, The Enemy, The Witch, and several others.

I can't recall all of the Titles, but somebody lists them off in a rant somewhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did the Enemy get written out of the series? He was conspicuously absent in Wisdom’s Grave and I don’t see how he could be brought back in a meaningful way given the events that occurred.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I just finished up Wisdom's Grave and with all the characters from The Story showing up I was real surprised there was not a single mention of The Enemy or even an explanation from God about how he came up with a character called The Salesman presumably somewhere back in the stone ages. I'm also up to date on Faust and just starting the Revanche Cycle and was really hoping we would get an actual retelling of The Story and how it plays out. The Faust series is obviously not done yet though so I guess there's still hope for that.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Winter's Reach and not really digging it so far. Might just be the new (old) setting though, hopefully it will start clicking once I get over that.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Fallom posted:

Did the Enemy get written out of the series? He was conspicuously absent in Wisdom’s Grave and I don’t see how he could be brought back in a meaningful way given the events that occurred.

I thought the last we saw of the man with the Cheshire smile he was getting recruited by the Network in the Faust books. Its not like it is necessary for him to be present in the Story until time comes for him to clash with the Paladin, which may never end up being necessary on Earth since it seems unlikely that Nessa and Marie may not meet their fate.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 4, 2019

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I wouldn't say "recruited" so much as "press ganged into service."

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Latest Michelle Sagara Kaylin book - Cast In Oblivion came out yesterday. It's a Baranni book, and at the end of it large meta-plot progress has been made, but it was still a long on politics short on police-procedural book.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Victorkm posted:

I thought the last we saw of the man with the Cheshire smile he was getting recruited by the Network in the Faust books. Its not like it is necessary for him to be present in the Story until time comes for him to clash with the Paladin, which may never end up being necessary on Earth since it seems unlikely that Nessa and Marie may not meet their fate.

You goofed your spoiler tag.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
checking in on the insanely prolific crazy person

https://twitter.com/Richard_Kadrey/status/1090654313007833088

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Bhodi posted:

checking in on the insanely prolific crazy person

https://twitter.com/Richard_Kadrey/status/1090654313007833088

As someone that wants to write more, I'm always curious about the process of people like this. I'm glad he writes like a mad fiend because I want more Sandman.

How are his other works? I haven't checked them out yet.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

As someone that wants to write more, I'm always curious about the process of people like this. I'm glad he writes like a mad fiend because I want more Sandman.

How are his other works? I haven't checked them out yet.

The one about some kind of box was fun, but it was basically a Sandman story without Sandman Slim.

I took it as a good thing, but others may not like it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The one about some kind of box was fun, but it was basically a Sandman story without Sandman Slim.

I took it as a good thing, but others may not like it.

The Everthing Box? Yeah, that was a pretty fun read. The follow up, The Wrong Dead Guy was pretty good too.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Big thank you to everyone who suggested Rivers of London, I'm loving this series.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Presumably The Enemy is absent from the wisdoms grave books because he's Faust's antagonist, not Nessa and Marie's. If you were just reading Faust without touching wisdoms grave or harmony black it would be super anticlimactic to go between books and oops my nemesis died on his way to his home planet.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The Skeep posted:

Presumably The Enemy is absent from the wisdoms grave books because he's Faust's antagonist, not Nessa and Marie's. If you were just reading Faust without touching wisdoms grave or harmony black it would be super anticlimactic to go between books and oops my nemesis died on his way to his home planet.

Yeah, The Enemy doesn't really have to have anything to do with Nessa and Marie, since he isn't the one who is supposed to kill them. I'm guessing that The Enemy will be much more actively directly antagonistic to Faust in the future since it seems like Nessa and Marie have broken the First Story, which I am guessing may have inadvertently accomplished one of his goals? Doesn't the Enemy want to destroy everything along with ending the cycle of rebirth, which is why he was monkeying with the story by subbing Faust in as the Thief?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I finished The Killing Floor and started on Glass Predator gently caress yeah Mari! :dance:.

Does Harmony’s stomach cramps ever get explained beyond the “family curse” line in her first book?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No. Also Glass Predator is the weakest in the series.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

OptimusWang posted:

So I finished The Killing Floor and started on Glass Predator gently caress yeah Mari! :dance:.

Does Harmony’s stomach cramps ever get explained beyond the “family curse” line in her first book?

I don't really see any reason to explain it beyond it being the price her witch magic extracts in exchange for using it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you want some UF that's slightly different, check out My House of Horrors. I'll copy-paste myself from a different thread, if you don't mind:

quote:

It reminds me a little of the Blackwell adventure game series, if there was a litrpg System involved and the ghosts were more j-horror. So this young guy is running a failing haunted house attraction in an about-to-be-closed theme park, right? His parents used to be the ones in charge, but they disappeared a while back, after not returning from what, our hero realizes in retrospect, must have been a paranormal investigation, one of many that they must have embarked upon and the only clues they left behind were a strange doll and a smartphone that he's never seen before.

Well, the smartphone has a weird app installed on it and the app starts giving him missions related to local hauntings and major-league creepypasta poo poo and he realizes, holy crap, ghosts and monsters are real, this poo poo is probably why his parents disappeared and he seems to be the only one around even remotely equipped to deal with it. Oh and as he deals with the hauntings the app rewards him by magically expanding and upgrading his haunted house and even binding some of the ghosts he's helped into his service in the house. So financially, things start to turn around, especially after he streams a couple of his investigations online, but his life gets a lot more complicated.

The novel is pretty good. The hero's a nice dude whose main flaws are him being, cough, a little too competitive when people impugn his haunted house's scariness and, perhaps, a certain lack of introspection in regards to the implications of the mess that he got into. The story is written fairly well and the translation seems decent as well. It can be pretty creeptastic at times, but our hero is somewhat empowered and proactive and this is a serial, so we know he's probably going to survive poo poo, so I'd classify this more as a story on the scarier end of the urban fantasy rather than horror. I am a big scaredy cat myself and reading this is within my fairly low tolerance limits.

It's a free-ish read and the stuff you get for logging in every day to their site should be enough to read the paywalled chapters.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Victorkm posted:

I don't really see any reason to explain it beyond it being the price her witch magic extracts in exchange for using it.

In the Revanche Cycle everything is fueled by blood - it’s consistent. In Faust-land people just sort of do magic, and no other magic users I’ve seen there so far have this issue. It’s not a complaint, I was just wondering if that difference meant anything in the bigger picture.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

OptimusWang posted:

In the Revanche Cycle everything is fueled by blood - it’s consistent. In Faust-land people just sort of do magic, and no other magic users I’ve seen there so far have this issue. It’s not a complaint, I was just wondering if that difference meant anything in the bigger picture.

Wisdom's Grave actually explores why things are different in Faust-land. Don't think the Harmony thing is mentioned though.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Gotcha, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm rereading cold days for the first time since it came out, and I haven't read ant Dresden since skin game released probably.

Anyway there's a line in it where he mentioned Maeve sending her handmaiden to gently caress up his friends in their wedding day and I was trying to remember who that would be and what book?

Edit wait is this the book where he fights Santa

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 7, 2019