Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm not sure it's valid to say the Hobbit "isn't" part of the world of the Silmarillion when there's such clear markers of continuity. You have to start really heavily privileging extremely disputable markers of authorial "intent" over clear reader perceptions to get to that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure it's valid to say the Hobbit "isn't" part of the world of the Silmarillion when there's such clear markers of continuity. You have to start really heavily privileging extremely disputable markers of authorial "intent" over clear reader perceptions to get to that place.

You could make a decent case that it isn't part of the world described in the eventually-published Silmarillion. I wouldn't, but it it could be done.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh it’s def part of the published Silmarillion

I was using the term as shorthand for his World he had been working on for years with his epic poems and the like before he wrote the Hobbit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
LOTR literally positions the text of The Hobbit as a set-to-writing version of the semi-fanciful tales that Bilbo told his weird little circle of proteges about his expedition to Wilderland. Bilbo is therefore retroactively supposed to have been an untrustworthy narrator in The Hobbit. Frodo sees through Bilbo's ruse about the birthday present and gets the truth out of him. The Hobbit is presented in LOTR as a fictionalized memoir written within the real world of Silm/LOTR Middle-earth.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

skasion posted:

LOTR literally positions the text of The Hobbit as a set-to-writing version of the semi-fanciful tales that Bilbo told his weird little circle of proteges about his expedition to Wilderland. Bilbo is therefore retroactively supposed to have been an untrustworthy narrator in The Hobbit. Frodo sees through Bilbo's ruse about the birthday present and gets the truth out of him. The Hobbit is presented in LOTR as a fictionalized memoir written within the real world of Silm/LOTR Middle-earth.

None of this does answer the present issue of Sting's nature and origin though. Either Bilbo is wrong and is unreliably relating the story, or he is right and they did indeed find swords from Gondolin in a troll hoard.

I know this was discussed before, but how while how unique would those swords have actually been, ignoring more elaborate history and just as "first age" elven swords. A whole bunch of elves lived through the first age, and would have had arms and armor from that period. Presumably as the war of wrath proceeded, even more were being made and lost, since the elves would not be staying at the front anymore and likely were based out of what would become the Noldorian holdings in Eregion. Once things finally ended its not like everything just disappeared, presumably a bunch of that same stuff got used in the Second Age and the Third. Given the propensity for Providence in LOTR, I could see an argument for those swords popping up from some long forgotten dragon or troll horde shortly before The Hobbit for them to find.

I guess what I'm trying to discuss is if Elrond would be particularly moved to claim those swords as his own. Yeah they are from his place of birth but the Dwarves found them fair and square, and he has all kinds of old swords made by elven smiths in Rivendell.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 7, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean it can’t possibly be Turgon’s. Glamdring.

The real Turgon not the reused name Turgon from the Hobbit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was retconned back into the larger world and myths yes. But when written the Hobbit “merely” heavily borrowed from them. Murkwood is Doriath and Thranduil is Thingol and the Heart of the Mountain is a Silmaril and so on. Throw away references to Gondolin and so on. Gondolin is a nice word. It sounds cool.

He started writing the LOTR as set apart from his myths as well but in an early draft of what Became the fellowship (specifically the scene on Weathertop) decided to make the universe of LOTR concretely part of the larger world of the stories he wrote (which weren’t always all that consistent themselves)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

None of this does answer the present issue of Sting's nature and origin though. Either Bilbo is wrong and is unreliably relating the story, or he is right and they did indeed find swords from Gondolin in a troll hoard.

I know this was discussed before, but how while how unique would those swords have actually been, ignoring more elaborate history and just as "first age" elven swords. A whole bunch of elves lived through the first age, and would have had arms and armor from that period. Presumably as the war of wrath proceeded, even more were being made and lost, since the elves would not be staying at the front anymore and likely were based out of what would become the Noldorian holdings in Eregion. Once things finally ended its not like everything just disappeared, presumably a bunch of that same stuff got used in the Second Age and the Third. Given the propensity for Providence in LOTR, I could see an argument for those swords popping up from some long forgotten dragon or troll horde shortly before The Hobbit for them to find.

I guess what I'm trying to discuss is if Elrond would be particularly moved to claim those swords as his own. Yeah they are from his place of birth but the Dwarves found them fair and square, and he has all kinds of old swords made by elven smiths in Rivendell.
My impression is that Sting was of old manufacture but it was essentially a side-arm for some long dead elf and had no particular moral valence or great deeds attached to it. It was unique, if anything, because Bilbo named it Sting and it eventually slew Shelob. That's a more worthy piece of lore than "oh and BTW it was the property of Elberel-Jackof of the North Anduin Jackofs two ages and one continent ago."

Gondolin was a pretty big place.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A big place with, I presume, a big armory.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Razed and sacked by fire breathing mechanical dragons and (wingless) Balrogs .

Which reminds me Glorfindal in LOTR started out as not being Glorfindal from Gondolin. I don’t know why exactly he left the name the same as it really strange. I guess it somewhat makes sense.

Didn’t he write a letter about retconning Glorfindal ?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I prefer Tolkien's artisanal, handcrafted retconning and continuity issues over that mass-produced hollywood stuff.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I thought so, I think its explicit that Glorfindel got out of the Halls of Mandos and is chilling with Elrond. Of course he ends up not doing much given the events of LOTR.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I prefer Tolkien's artisanal, handcrafted retconning and continuity issues over that mass-produced hollywood stuff.

He’s really good at retconning

Reading the hobbit, LOTR and the published Sil from 2019 or whenever and it’s pretty seamless.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Razed and sacked by fire breathing mechanical dragons and (wingless) Balrogs .

Which reminds me Glorfindal in LOTR started out as not being Glorfindal from Gondolin. I don’t know why exactly he left the name the same as it really strange. I guess it somewhat makes sense.

Didn’t he write a letter about retconning Glorfindal ?

What this is is just Tolkien reusing some elf characters he had envisioned for something that he didn't think he could ever publish. Glorfindel and Legolas are both re-imaginings of the characters of those names in Fall of Gondolin. Later (much later, actually not long before he died) he wrote the essay "Glorfindel" which basically says "look, this could be just two guys with the same name, but elves don't reuse names so actually it's the same guy".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I kind of like the idea of Sting and Glamdring and Orcrist being chunks of steel several thousand years old.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

My impression is that Sting was of old manufacture but it was essentially a side-arm for some long dead elf and had no particular moral valence or great deeds attached to it. It was unique, if anything, because Bilbo named it Sting and it eventually slew Shelob. That's a more worthy piece of lore than "oh and BTW it was the property of Elberel-Jackof of the North Anduin Jackofs two ages and one continent ago."

Gondolin was a pretty big place.

Tolkien actually leaves it unclear whether Sam killed Shelob or not. He wounds her and blinds her with Galadriel's phial and then she runs away.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Elrond just strictly follows the precedent set in the case of Finders v Keepers

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

webmeister posted:

Elrond just strictly follows the precedent set in the case of Finders v Keepers

I don't know what the Sindarin for "losers weepers" is, but I bet it's hauntingly beautiful and redolent of starlight upon the sea glimpsed through, I don't know, oaks or something.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get what the problem with Gandalf just having the Glamdring is? Like, people have pointed out that Elrond has the kind of humility that would lead him to not reclaim it, and he came off as wise enough to know that it would be well used in Gandalf's hands.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Did people who lived on Eressea and the Teleri ever actually go into Valinor proper? From the text it kind of seems like they stick to the places they live and don't really go past Tirion and hang out with Manwe like the Vanyar seem to do

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

What this is is just Tolkien reusing some elf characters he had envisioned for something that he didn't think he could ever publish. Glorfindel and Legolas are both re-imaginings of the characters of those names in Fall of Gondolin. Later (much later, actually not long before he died) he wrote the essay "Glorfindel" which basically says "look, this could be just two guys with the same name, but elves don't reuse names so actually it's the same guy".

The way I understand it is at first it was just “accidentally” two different elves with the same name but then he liked them being the same guy and retconned it. So glorfindal is both different and the same.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The problem with it being Turgons sword beyond Elrond not claiming it, is that Turgon died in a collapsing tower beset by weird machine dragons and balrog and was then buried under rubble (and probably burnt and melted) in a area that eventually sank to the bottom of an ocean.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

The problem with it being Turgons sword beyond Elrond not claiming it, is that Turgon died in a collapsing tower beset by weird machine dragons and balrog and was then buried under rubble (and probably burnt and melted) in a area that eventually sank to the bottom of an ocean.

The text specifies "that the King of Gondolin (Turgon) once wore." Maybe it was, like, his Sunday go to meeting sword. Or his work casual sword. Or a sword that he literally wore once then gave to a retainer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The text specifies "that the King of Gondolin (Turgon) once wore." Maybe it was, like, his Sunday go to meeting sword. Or his work casual sword. Or a sword that he literally wore once then gave to a retainer.
He left Biter and Beater at his winter house and was using rear end-Kicker and Dragon-Fucker to fight the dragons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I suppose but likely all retainers died in Gondolin and were burned and sank to the bottom of the sea too. Or died in the Havens soon after.

You can construct a theory that the sword is literally Turgons but I say the evidence weighs heavily against it to the point where it isn’t probable.

I think the best evidence in this regards is Lord of the Rings makes no mention of this Gondolin provenance regardless of argued Valaran providence.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Did people who lived on Eressea and the Teleri ever actually go into Valinor proper? From the text it kind of seems like they stick to the places they live and don't really go past Tirion and hang out with Manwe like the Vanyar seem to do

I think the Teleri at least could. They took up the invitation to Valinor after all. Interesting question whether the exiles on Eressea were allowed to enter back into Tirion.

euphronius posted:

It was a sacked city, I'm sure the rubble got very thoroughly looted.

Nessus posted:

He left Biter and Beater at his winter house and was using rear end-Kicker and Dragon-Fucker to fight the dragons.

Now this is pro theory.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looted by whom? The few survivors left and went to the havens. It was a hidden city and presumably occupied by Morgoths forced until the war of wrath.

But even if you say looted you are inventing things never talked about. It’s possible it was looted but I think he evidence more heavily points to it just being old elven sword.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
On the other hand, the universe also features a sentient ring and a talking sword. Sounds like Glamdring was making its way to Elrond the same way the Ring is making its way to Sauron

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Looted by whom? The few survivors left and went to the havens. It was a hidden city and presumably occupied by Morgoths forced until the war of wrath.

But even if you say looted you are inventing things never talked about. It’s possible it was looted but I think he evidence more heavily points to it just being old elven sword.

By orcs? traditionally the wealth of a sacked city is seized by the conquering army. This is obviously what Tolkien was envisioning:

quote:

”Whence did the trolls get them, I wonder?” said Thorin looking at his sword with new interest.
“I could not say,” said Elrond, “but one may guess that your trolls had plundered other plunderers, or come on the remnants of old robberies in some hold in the mountains. I have heard that there are still forgotten treasures of old to be found in the deserted caverns of the mines of Moria, since the dwarf and goblin war.”

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

euphronius posted:

I mean it can’t possibly be Turgon’s. Glamdring.

The real Turgon not the reused name Turgon from the Hobbit.

Probably one of loads of replicas sold to edgy Elf teens by the tourist-tatsmiths of the First Age.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The orcs you need to do the looting were destroyed by the valar and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

If they could even touch the swords which I doubt.

It would more probably be “evil” men aligned with Morgoth who migrated back east after the sack of Gondolin and before the war of wrath. But again, no evidence of this.

I suppose it could have been dwarves too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

The orcs you need to do the looting were destroyed by the valar and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

If they could even touch the swords which I doubt.

It would more probably be “evil” men aligned with Morgoth who migrated back east after the sack of Gondolin and before the war of wrath. But again, no evidence of this.

I suppose it could have been dwarves too.

The end of the first age is such an enormous and little-discussed process that I have no difficulty believing stuff got plundered right out of Beleriand. The War of Wrath is longer than the Vietnam War and the War on Terror combined. And we know that the gods’ victory was far from total genocide of the forces of Angband.

I don’t think Glamdring and Orcrist are inimical to orcs in the sense you’re suggesting. They’re inimical to orcs if you stab the orcs with them. They’re not silmarils that toast you for the least impropriety.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

The end of the first age is such an enormous and little-discussed process that I have no difficulty believing stuff got plundered right out of Beleriand. The War of Wrath is longer than the Vietnam War and the War on Terror combined. And we know that the gods’ victory was far from total genocide of the forces of Angband.

I don’t think Glamdring and Orcrist are inimical to orcs in the sense you’re suggesting. They’re inimical to orcs if you stab the orcs with them. They’re not silmarils that toast you for the least impropriety.

Orcs might even think it's cool to have a perma-glowing weapon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fine but again we are now inventing things to make it work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

There is a pretty significant time delay between the fall of Gondolin and the Valar blowing up that part of the world.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who's the better Sting, the musician, the wrestler or the sword

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

double posting like it's 2007

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Fine but again we are now inventing things to make it work.

While you seem determined to ignore actual words in the texts to make your "nuh uh" theory fit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not ? I’m explicitly referencing them as my primary support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Orcs stomp on Lembas in Lotr and Gollum chokes on it and hates it when he tries to eat it.

It's not a far leap from there for me to imagine that Orcs handling Elvish weapons would feel physically repulsed by them. In fact that happens in the Hobbit. The Great Goblin freaks out when he sees the Elvish swords and that's when he tries to kill the Dwarves. Granted I don't think it's said then that is a physical reaction. It's more like the type of reaction someone might have to seeing a hate symbol or something like that.

But a lot of the ideas in the Hobbit weren't fully fleshed out so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tolkien would have written that differently after scoping out his world rules. Also don't the Uruk Hai not even take Merry and Pippins swords? They just chuck them, right? Why, if the swords are valuable? Clearly they're repulsed by them.

And then there's the whole thing about Aragorn threatening the door guard that anyone else who handles his blade will die. I'm sure that's partially Aragorn just being a dick and saying hey don't touch my ride man but given the type of power material items have in Lotr it might even be true.