Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

GM run by a bunch of bean counters? You sir are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Did plugs and wires on Toplitzin's new to him beater 98 Civic.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Gave it a newer, faster, uglier stablemate. It actually cleaned up pretty well, considering. Now I’ll have to see if I want to keep it or strip it for a swap Into another shell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Going through the S2000 today in prep for the 16th / 17th. I pull the front pads to check them over pretty often, but I haven't experienced big chunks of material going missing before, I usually run them almost to the backing plate. Guess it is front big brake kit time after I finish off the new set I just put in. :negative:

These are Hawk DTC60 with 8hr on them

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2019

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

pulled the engine out the other day at work

started tearing it apart at my dad's house

then I towed my dad's to work so I could weld up an exhaust for it

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BlackMK4 posted:

Going through the S2000 today in prep for the 16th / 17th. I pull the front pads to check them over pretty often, but I haven't experienced big chunks of material going missing before, I usually run them almost to the backing plate. Guess it is front big brake kit time after I finish off the new set I just put in. :negative:

These are Hawk DTC60 with 8hr on them

My limited s2k experience is that the stock brakes don't cut it on track. Have seen a lot of cracked rotors, even a case where a bbk exploded a rotor, so ducting is probably a good idea regardless. What are you thinking about getting?

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 4, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

My limited s2k experience is that the stock brakes don't cut it on track. Have seen a lot of cracked rotors, even a case where a bbk exploded a rotor, so ducting is probably a good idea regardless. What are you thinking about getting?
I had good luck with my setup until I added aero. I had ducts and vented rear rotors and this seemed to prevent the usual rear rotor overheat and subsequent overloading of the front. It appears to be a different story now. :(

Fortunately, I am now on a set of 17x10 SA72Rs that clear pretty much everything, so I was kind of thinking the SBG Wilwood kit (https://www.sakebombgarage.com/wilwood-track-day-brake-system-s2000/) and stuffing Raybestos ST43s in them, maybe. Do you have access to the basic Stoptech ST40 kit?

e: and access to Hardrace stuff? I need a set of https://www.buyhardrace.com/product/hardrace-rear-upper-arm-bushings-harden-rubber-s2000-ap1-only-_204.html or https://www.buyhardrace.com/product/hardrace-rear-upper-arm-bushings-pillow-ball-honda-s2000-ap1_234.html this week, if I can get them :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 4, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The brake kit I saw explode a rotor was wilwood using fixed rotor rings, which increases the stresses in the rotor compared to one with float. To get larger floating rotors with that wilwood kit you're spending the same as the stoptech 328x28 kit, so I'd suggest that instead. And yes I sell those and think I have pretty decent pricing. I've also been meaning to try to get set up with essex because I like their AP kits and they carry CL pads.

No on the hardrace stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Balls on the Wilwood thing, I think the Stoptech rings are cheaper too. I'm guessing the 328x28 is the ST40. Send me over a price for whatever color caliper is cheapest, please :) No rush, these pads should last me about two months.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I mounted and balanced four new tires at a friend's shop, only breaking one tire pressure sensor at $50/ea. Then I did the front brakes with the Tahoe cop compound pads and new rotors because his thing feels pretty underbraked with the factory brake pads. I flushed the brake fluid and changed the oil while I had it in there, whichever oil had a deal at Advance--synthetic Castrol 5W-30 something something. Next week I'm doing rear brakes and a transmission service, and a diff service if I have the time.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in the stock size of 265/65 R18. I got stuck in my backyard a while back, now I can dig holes even faster. Each tire took less than 1.75 oz. total weight to balance, and one only took 1/2 ounce. I was seriously impressed. I've mounted BFG All-Terrains of the same size that took 5-6 ounces to balance.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

wallaka posted:

I mounted and balanced four new tires at a friend's shop, only breaking one tire pressure sensor at $50/ea. Then I did the front brakes with the Tahoe cop compound pads and new rotors because his thing feels pretty underbraked with the factory brake pads. I flushed the brake fluid and changed the oil while I had it in there, whichever oil had a deal at Advance--synthetic Castrol 5W-30 something something. Next week I'm doing rear brakes and a transmission service, and a diff service if I have the time.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in the stock size of 265/65 R18. I got stuck in my backyard a while back, now I can dig holes even faster. Each tire took less than 1.75 oz. total weight to balance, and one only took 1/2 ounce. I was seriously impressed. I've mounted BFG All-Terrains of the same size that took 5-6 ounces to balance.

Falken Wildpeaks are very underrated for the price. I put 30" WPs on my Toyota last fall and they are great.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

pulled the engine out the other day at work

started tearing it apart at my dad's house

then I towed my dad's to work so I could weld up an exhaust for it

Hang on. I feel like you skipped a few steps, there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

wallaka posted:

I'm putting new tires on my 4runner and was tossing between wild peaks and nitto terra grappler g2s

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Darchangel posted:

Two different cars. I originally owned the blue one, and my dad did a bunch of work on it for some reason (fixing all the rust, repainting it, making it run, etc) and decided that he liked it and he wanted it. I agreed as long as he bought me another one that was in similar condition to how the blue one used to be, which is the rusty silver one I have now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Because I'm an immature manchild.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

STR posted:

:rock:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean... I really should have done the pic with the speedo at 66 MPH (and the tach at 6k), but I was so close when I stopped in that parking lot that it only took a minute of circling Walmart to hit that. Couldn't have hit the highway in time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

STR posted:

That's actually impressive, you should have bought a lottery ticket.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was planned, sorry. I reset the trip odometer as soon as it hit 160000, and when it got within a mile last night, I just drove around a parking lot until it hit all 6's.

The last major milestone I did though (on my old car), was unplanned.

I caught

The 80005 was planned. The 113.5 was not. That's the day I needed a lotto ticket.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

No CEL the picture is obviously fake

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

opengl128 posted:

No CEL the picture is obviously fake

Bulb burned out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bulb yanked out.

Let's be real here.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Let's be real here.

Makes more sense. We should chase him out with torches and pitchforks.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why are the 6's different?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i washed the salt off my car last night and now the weather is perfect and the first time in 2019 people are going out with t-shirts so :discourse:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

i washed the salt off my car last night and now the weather is perfect and the first time in 2019 people are going out with t-shirts so :discourse:

It was 60 degrees here Monday, in the 30s again today. I wish it would make its mind up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Let's be real here.

It's a soldered LED. :sigh: It comes and goes through the day. Always with the same MAP out of range error. I'm on junkyard MAP #4, MAF #2 (this one being brand new OEM, #1 being the original), and a lot of other poo poo that could POSSIBLY cause that code. It persists.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why are the 6's different?

You know, I never noticed until you mentioned that. THANKS, now I can't unsee it. :colbert:

I have no clue. The odometer itself can display some text, the trip odometer is strictly numbers. But that doesn't explain it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

EvilBeard posted:

It was 60 degrees here Monday, in the 30s again today. I wish it would make its mind up.

Are you in Texas? Because same, but today (Thursday), and it was in the 70s earlier. Amazing. Oh, and rain along with the cold.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Are you in Texas? Because same, but today (Thursday), and it was in the 70s earlier. Amazing. Oh, and rain along with the cold.

No, Indiana. It went from below zero last week to days in the 60s this week. Today the high is in the 60s, tomorrow's high is 22.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EvilBeard posted:

No, Indiana. It went from below zero last week to days in the 60s this week. Today the high is in the 60s, tomorrow's high is 22.

Heh, same. -15 to 60 within a few days.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This is fine and not alarming weather

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wasabi the J posted:

This is fine and not alarming weather

It's cold where I am LOL libtards.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

This is a scam to cost taxpayers money!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Your FB posts lately have been triggering me hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Your FB posts lately have been triggering me hard.

Betcha got that fancy edjacashun in college

You a college boy?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Serviced...half of my rear control arms on the M3. The LR tube threads decided to set themselves free.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Rolled over my first 5k. The oil looks suspiciously clean and fresh coming from a conventional life before this. First change is supposed to be at 7k but I'm wary about it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Finished up the work from last week on the Escalade. Turns out the rear calipers on these are notorious for failures, so I replaced them both. I turned the rotors because they were pretty bad, ended up just above the thickness threshold. I had to cut 20 thousandths from one side and 28 from the other. It turns out that pulling a 5,000 lb. trailer works the rear brakes pretty hard. The transmission flush was a pain because there was a leaking external cooler line. It took about 40 minutes to loosen the grille and headlights, wedge the core support, pick the clips out, and snake the four-foot long hard line free through a 2 square inch hole. gently caress those engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Had a big weekend pulling out the factory drum brakes differential out of the XC and putting in my nice "restored" XG ute diff with discs and a diff ratio to suit a turbo barra and 4 speed auto. Two friends that live an hour away (gold coast-ians) came up to lend a hand. One I help out with his Evo 7 a bit, the other had never worked on a car in his life (but wants a rotary) - he was amazingly poo poo at fetching tools even though my ratchet set has a legend with different colours on metric and imperial, he did enjoy himself though.

I started out Saturday morning really well by finding a tiny pin hole in the bottom of my fuel tank, looking up EFI fuel tanks after that discovery came up with no appealing results :(

It all went pretty smoothly, no stripped bolts or stuck anything. Pretty good for 40 year old parts. I did take a video of the slop in the diff which I'll post later if I remember to upload it.

This was the result of a few hours work.

I have no shame after being so lazy that I cut the handbrake cable instead of taking out all the clips. Won't be useful to me for the discs.

Today went a little less smoothly since it was way hotter than yesterday, I wasn't thinking very well in the heat. Getting the diff and springs back up together was a pain in the rear end because as we found out at the end of the day, the U bolts I bought were just poo poo for the application, thanks Whiteline! Ended up getting the old u bolts and putting them in until I get a good set.

The main thing I was wondering with all of this was if the '94 XG ute diff, '01 AU sedan 4 speed auto tailshaft, and a 70s C4 auto would really fit together underneath my XC. As I was lead to believe, it all fits perfectly. Amazing that Ford Australia kept everything the same length between different motors and gearboxes. The diff combo suits the motor and trans combo I have right now and it'll fit behind the barra and 4 speed auto, makes things easy.

Still gotta sort out the U bolts, flare and fit my new brake hard lines (have to do one side metric, one side imperial to get it to all fit), fit the swaybar with a U bolt kit, then drive the thing for a few days before pulling the motor for some barra turbo goodness. I will make a new thread soon.