Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

St. Dogbert posted:

The worst part is that Northam becoming Governor gave the Dems power in Virginia during the redistributing in 2020, allowing them the chance to undo a lot of the gerrymandering that the GOP did there. If all three resign - and they probably should - it will hand control back over to the GOP, who will maintain the status quo (or make it even worse).

Well you're assuming that the GOP successor doesn't also have an old photo of him in blackface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hi!

I'm an American who works in the French high school system. I've decided to teach a sequence on current events within the Anglophone world, focusing on the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia, to my French students whose level of English is what you'd expect a French high school's students level to be at (not good).

Now I keep fairly up to date on what's what, in particular regarding my own country, but aside from the recent thing with the Saudi Arabian asylum seeker (I realize this is pretty dated) and major things that Trudeau does, there's very little Canadian current events I'm super-aware of. I was planning on using the CBC as my source for articles and videos to have the kids work with, seeing as that's the main state media, but I'd like to give them a course with a bit of background, so they're not completely lost.

It's only a basic English high school course so I'm not doing a deep dive on the minutia of Canadian politics, but if there's anything major worth knowing aside from the going-ons of any current Trudeau ministry scandal, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hi!

I'm an American who works in the French high school system. I've decided to teach a sequence on current events within the Anglophone world, focusing on the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia, to my French students whose level of English is what you'd expect a French high school's students level to be at (not good).

Now I keep fairly up to date on what's what, in particular regarding my own country, but aside from the recent thing with the Saudi Arabian asylum seeker (I realize this is pretty dated) and major things that Trudeau does, there's very little Canadian current events I'm super-aware of. I was planning on using the CBC as my source for articles and videos to have the kids work with, seeing as that's the main state media, but I'd like to give them a course with a bit of background, so they're not completely lost.

It's only a basic English high school course so I'm not doing a deep dive on the minutia of Canadian politics, but if there's anything major worth knowing aside from the going-ons of any current Trudeau ministry scandal, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Canada is so unimportant on the world stage that you would be better served teaching the kids about us being phenomenally racist, genocidal monsters rather than whatever the hell we have going on right now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eox posted:

Canada is so unimportant on the world stage that you would be better served teaching the kids about us being phenomenally racist, genocidal monsters rather than whatever the hell we have going on right now.

More than happy to do that. It'll at least take off some heat from the US (HAHA no it won't/we're the worst).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Teach them about England giving France the choice between Canada and Guadaloupe, and France choosing Guadaloupe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eox posted:

Canada is so unimportant on the world stage

Tell that to China and Saudi Arabia :smugbert:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hi!

Start with the October Crisis

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

And be sure to mention that Charles de Gaulle ignited the modern era of Quebecois separatism because he was still pissed at us for not recognizing the post-war French government fast enough, because that's still funny as gently caress. Other than that, play the hits: Residential schools, the Indian Act, Alberta's longstanding eugenics department, Omar Khadr. Anything you can do to dispel the notion that we're polite and reasonable is a net good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

Teach them about England giving France the choice between Canada and Guadaloupe, and France choosing Guadaloupe.

Haha seriously? That's rich, and not surprising.

xtal posted:

That's a bit far back. I was thinking more 21st century or even quite recent current events. Unless it's fundamental to how things play out today then sure.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well you're assuming that the GOP successor doesn't also have an old photo of him in blackface.

No, I’m sure of that too. Unfortunately, I’m also sure that it wouldn’t matter to the GOP or their supporters if he did.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Haha seriously? That's rich, and not surprising.

Yeah after the Seven Years War, France was given the choice between Canada or Guadeloupe and, well, the fur trade wasn't worth poo poo anymore so France chose the sugar islands.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hi!

As far as current events go:

National: Canada recently arrested the CFO of Huawei for extradition to the US under a treaty we have with you. She's currently on house arrest in her $2m Vancouver home while her $15m Vancouver home is being renovated.This made china lose their poo poo and start arresting random canadians. They also retried a man accused of attempting to smuggle drugs out of china, had a retrial with 5 days notice which lasted one day, changing his sentence from 15 years to the death penalty. Canada and China have been lobbing poo poo over eachother's fence since. We have a federal election happening in October, with Justin Trudeau's centrist Liberal Party, and Andrew Scheer's Right wing Progressive Conservative party basically neck and neck in the polls.

BC: Foreign money has been pouring in to Vancouver's real estate market for decades, driving single family homes well into the millions, and condos close to a million. That house of cards is currently collapsing threatening to take Canada's economy down with it. A natural gas pipeline is currently being rammed through unceeded indigenous land, with the RCMP physically removing Indigenous protesters. Imagine Standing Rock, except the natives haven't signed a treaty yet, and everybody is a little more polite.

Alberta: Decades of reliance on oil and low taxes have left the province in dire straits since the oil price collapse. To make matters worse, this landlocked province is struggling to get it's oil to market, with 5000km of country to the east with the Energy East pipeline under attack, The US to the south with the Keystone XL pipeline under attack, and a recently elected left leaning government in the province to the west with the Trans Mountain pipeline under attack. our center or center-left(depending on who you ask) federal government recently bought the Trans Mountain pipeline and are going to ram it through. Alberta has an election coming up within the next 3 months with a greasy slimeball corrupt religious fundamentalist conservative expected to take power in a landslide.

Saskatchewan: A bus crash last winter killed 16 people and seriously injured 13 others. They were all players or staff members on the Humboldt Broncos. The driver is in the middle of sentencing, with prosecutors recommending 10 years in prison, and a 10 year driving ban. The accident sparked a call nation wide for better driver training, and mandatory electronic drivers logs in trucks with some provinces already implementing the former, and the later possibly being in force this year.

Manitoba: The conservative provincial government, lead by a man who spends most of his time in Costa Rica, has sold, or is preparing to sell many crown corporations(government owned businesses) leading to an increased cost of living. This will do permanent damage to the province.

Ontario: Doug Ford, a conservative Goomba from the Super Mario Bros movie and brother of world famous crack smoking Toronto mayor Rob Ford(rip) recently gained a majority government after the center-left Liberal government self imploded out of sheer ineptitude. Almost immediately after taking office, he caused a constitutional crisis by using our charter of rights' "notwithstanding clause" to attack his former political enemies on the Toronto city council, reducing the number of seats on it from 47 to 25. He is currently taking a sledge hammer to social systems the way modern conservatives do. He is fighting the federal government on a carbon tax, centralizing all the provinces healthcare boards into one single board with a mandate to privatize services, and trying to raise class sizes in schools and kindergartens. He campaigned on a buck-a-beer, saying he would make a bottle of beer $1 again. So far he has not.

Quebec: A right wing government just won the election there, lead by François Legault. In Canada, we have a thing called "equalization payments", which is the federal government giving money to the provinces out of federal taxes collected country wide, and distributed to the provinces to fund social services based on their need. Quebec has always been a large recipient of these payments as they are one of the second largest province by population, and 4th lowest by GDP per capita. This man, François Legault, wants to "wean Quebec off" equalization payments, which has to mean increased taxes, decreased services, and privatization of crown corporations and infrastructure. There is no way this will not be a complete disaster.

The maritime provinces(New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI): Nothing happens here. It's all old people and they're all dying.

If you've never paid attention to canada, you probably missed this, and that's unfortunate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_tApV8fTrc

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2022

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has the day come to call for the NDP to drop the "new"?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 9, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

James Baud posted:

Has the day come to call for the NDP to drop the "new"?

The way things are going, they're more likely to drop the "party"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
RIP this guy

https://twitter.com/cfhorgan/status/1093305401779511297

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rest in power Paul

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
After the shenanigans at the last convention to short-circuit certain resolutions (Palestinians) and general disdain for the cannon fodder rank and file they should probably drop the "D" as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Newer Party of Canada.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Regina Police: We Videotape You When You Poop

I mean, it seems like it should be obvious not to videotape people while they poop, but apparently they've been doing it for years and never thought anything was off with it.

https://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skpc/doc/2019/2019skpc7/2019skpc7.html?resultIndex=1

quote:

[8] The circumstances surrounding the alleged ss. 7, 8 and 12 breaches of the Charter concern the fact that a videotape was made of the accused using a toilet in a cell in the police detention area. Csts. Robinson and Thull, both of whom are female, were present in the cell with Ms. Paterson when she used the toilet, and the accused did need their assistance due to her intoxicated condition.

[9] The video camera is positioned so that it faces the toilet. The video taken of the accused clearly shows her naked from the bottom of her shirt, around her navel, to about her knees where her pants were, when she rises from the toilet.

[10] The Crown did not tender any evidence concerning the purpose for the surveillance system or any policy directives regarding the surveillance system in place in the Regina Police station detention area. The only evidence concerning the surveillance system was provided by the investigating officer, Cst. Robinson, who said the system used in May of 2018 has been in place for many years ...

[34] ... What was apparent from Cst. Robinson’s evidence was that there was simply no thought given to the fact that it was being videotaped and therefore I must assume that this is the routine practice for the treatment of detained individuals in the police station, not an isolated incident

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Powershift posted:

As far as current events go:

Thanks for this and for all the responses. My big takeaway is that the size and diversity of the country is particularly worth a mention seeing the disconnect between the provinces and the national government. That the veneer of stability is at risk of rather pressing economic issues and that your treatment of indigenous issues is just marginally better than our own.

I imagine the autonomy the provinces have is similar to that of the states in the US?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks for this and for all the responses. My big takeaway is that the size and diversity of the country is particularly worth a mention seeing the disconnect between the provinces and the national government. That the veneer of stability is at risk of rather pressing economic issues and that your treatment of indigenous issues is just marginally better than our own.

I imagine the autonomy the provinces have is similar to that of the states in the US?

Provinces aren't quite as autonomous as in the states, legally, but the federal government gives them a lot of leeway.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Provincial governments are responsible for health care and education, so they do have a lot of autonomous decision making about very important aspects of government

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's one way of understanding confederation where it was fundamentally about creating two tiers of governance so the Ultramontanist Catholics in Quebec and the secular Protestants in Ontario could actually pass governing legislation instead of having every vote go to a 50-50 tie in the united parliament. Education is a provincial responsibility because it was one of the biggest points of contention. Health care is a provincial responsibility because at the time nobody thought it mattered (oops). The federal government still has quite a bit of power, as one of the main motivations for confederation was also to create a system with a strong central government because a lot of Canadians (or at least the politically-situated elites in the Family Compact and Chateau Clique) blamed the US civil war on insufficiently centralized power.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wait, so confederation was both to create a strong central government but somehow also to decentralize power to the provinces, how does that make any sense? Canada's a weird country.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Not sure if the dippers reluctance to make a hard (false) choice on Venezuela is really such a terrible thing. I don't know anything about either president, but just going by their backers it seems like they're both obviously crooks out to further foreign interests at the expense of the people :shrug:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
well, donald trump backing one guy and threatening a coup tells you something doesnt it

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Blood Boils posted:

Not sure if the dippers reluctance to make a hard (false) choice on Venezuela is really such a terrible thing. I don't know anything about either president, but just going by their backers it seems like they're both obviously crooks out to further foreign interests at the expense of the people :shrug:

Generally in politics adopting and enunciating a position is better then holding multiple positions at once. I'd have preferred we adopted the Mexico/Vatican position (a loving easy thing for the NDP to have done).

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Aww man, he seemed like a good egg

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

Generally in politics adopting and enunciating a position is better then holding multiple positions at once. I'd have preferred we adopted the Mexico/Vatican position (a loving easy thing for the NDP to have done).

I think as a country we should strive to do exactly nothing in common with the loving vatican.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

patonthebach posted:

I think as a country we should strive to do exactly nothing in common with the loving vatican.

Fine then you decide between lining up with Putin or Elliot Abrams.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Wait, so confederation was both to create a strong central government but somehow also to decentralize power to the provinces, how does that make any sense? Canada's a weird country.

The federal government, in my view, was designed to be fairly weak since the nascent Dominion of Canada didn't have control over its own foreign policy, no real army, and was merely a vehicle to arbitrate trade and political conflicts between provinces. The potential for a strong government was there, I think, but it didn't realize it until the First World War.

Anything that was not defined in the Act fell under the federal government's purview, which ended up accelerating the federal government's power over time as its role expanded both through constitutional reform (the Statute of Westminister in 1931, repatriating the constitution in 1982), and the expanding role of government in all aspect of people's lives. Still, provinces got control over their natural resources as well. Education, health care, and natural resources give the provinces a lot of power in Canada, which means there's a lot more negotiation between the federal government and its regional governments than there would be in most countries.

The federal government also quickly asserted its authority by 1885 during the North-West Rebellion with the creation of regular Canadian troops, police divisions, and the supremacy of Canadian federal law across Canada's new provinces and territories.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 7, 2019

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/1093502240474714116?s=19

:ms:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Blood Boils posted:

https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/01/29/the-making-of-juan-guaido-how-the-us-regime-change-laboratory-created-venezuelas-coup-leader/

A good primer on Juan Guaido

Like others said, the situation is not black and white. No one is happy with Maduro. Guaido might be worse.

Seriously, wtf Hélène Laverdière?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

ido might be worse.

Seriously, wtf Hélène Laverdière?

Hélène wasn't freelancing there, it was clearly a caucus position.

I guess she's decided not to run again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So one of the scheduled speakers at the Calgary Teachers Convention was a guy from an addiction treatment centre who was going to talk about the challenges of addiction. His “inspirational story” of how he hit rock bottom but survived glosses over the fact that he was convicted of murdering an indigenous sex worker. For some crazy reason people objected to this guy being paid to speak at the conference!

https://twitter.com/connie_walker/status/1093491621209923590?s=21

quote:

Andrew Evans was found guilty in 2009 of beating and strangling Nicole Parisien in an apartment after he flew into a “blind rage” over his inability to get an erection. He was sentenced to life without parole for 10 years, but he won day parole three years early, in 2014. Today, he works as a quality assurance co-ordinator at the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre.

The Calgary City Teachers’ Convention, scheduled for Feb. 14 and 15, had billed Evans as someone who’s familiar with the struggles of addiction, and says his “message is one of hope,” having “the lived experience of active addiction and active recovery.” He’s scheduled to speak at a session on adolescent addiction alongside Calgary police Const. Andrew Morton.
:yikes:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What in the gently caress.

Jesus loving christ.

7 years for strangling a sex worker to death.

And now he gives motivational speeches.

How did he even pass the background check to get that job? A loving group that serves at risk teens doesn't do background checks?

edit: Haha loving REDDIT of all places figured this out https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comments/amrw5h/is_this_true_ive_checked_out_what_i_can_but_i/

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's like toxic masculinity 101, with a heaping side helping of Canada being a racist country that doesn't value indigenous life, and us being willing to forgive anything in the past of a white man as long as he claims to have learned a lesson from it.