Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I couldn't find a general horror thread so I figured I'd ask here. If we have one feel free to point at it.

I'm looking for horror recommendations. I don't have any requirements really, except I prefer if there is some outlandishness to it, like unreal (though not necessarily supernatural) situations or events. Someone being bullied or tortured can make good horror, but I'd like to avoid it as the main premise. Oh and I'd really rather not read something with explicit sexual violence or abuse, which I know can be part of the exploitation genre. Gore and death is no issue though.

I've recently read Jinmen and Hakaijuu which I both thought were good, and I've probably read everything or close to everything that Junji Ito has produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
how about You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead, and Mononoke Soushi

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Foxhound posted:

I couldn't find a general horror thread so I figured I'd ask here. If we have one feel free to point at it.

I'm looking for horror recommendations. I don't have any requirements really, except I prefer if there is some outlandishness to it, like unreal (though not necessarily supernatural) situations or events. Someone being bullied or tortured can make good horror, but I'd like to avoid it as the main premise. Oh and I'd really rather not read something with explicit sexual violence or abuse, which I know can be part of the exploitation genre. Gore and death is no issue though.

I've recently read Jinmen and Hakaijuu which I both thought were good, and I've probably read everything or close to everything that Junji Ito has produced.

Top underappreciated recommendation: Soil

quote:

In the idyllic, suburban Soil New Town, everyone's lives are picturesque, down to the mandatory perfectly-manicured flower bed in front of every house. But this peaceful façade is shattered when the well-known Suzushiro family disappears during a power outage, leaving behind nothing but a pillar of salt...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Syritta posted:

how about You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead, and Mononoke Soushi

Seconding You will Hear the Voice of the Dead.

And if you liked Hakaiju I would recommend Biomeat: Nectar as it's a similar brand of schlock horror.
Souboutei Must Be Destroyed is also a good horror series however the translations stalled out a couple weeks ago and it's continuation is uncertain.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Biomeat is quite the title.

Anyway I'll check all these recommendations out, thanks!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Brought To You By posted:

Seconding You will Hear the Voice of the Dead.

And if you liked Hakaiju I would recommend Biomeat: Nectar as it's a similar brand of schlock horror.
Souboutei Must Be Destroyed is also a good horror series however the translations stalled out a couple weeks ago and it's continuation is uncertain.

Oh man it's been years since I thought about Biomeat. It was one of the first manga I got into back when I found scanlation websites like 10 years ago. I may have to check it out again because I remember liking it a whole lot and I definitely recommend it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Checked out those recommended horror titles; I couldn't get into Mononoke but Voice of the Dead is great. It's like a slightly tamer Junji Ito, but I'm doing the opposite of damning with faint praise here since Junji Ito is for the most part freakishly terrifying. My only complaint is that the art of the main character seems to fluctuate between depicting him as a kid and as a teen, and I'm pretty sure only about 10% of that is intentional.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good Seinen manga and edgier zootopia Beastars is getting an anime. But it’s cg, which I would normally be wh about, but it’s being done by Studio Orange who knocked Houseki no Kuni out of the park. So... hopefully good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6H1qskbEIg&feature=youtu.be

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Beastars is in a shounen magazine iirc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Steven Universe:Land of the Lustrous::Zootopia:Beastars

:rolleyes:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dang cause of the subject matter I always though Beastars was Seinen. It reads much more like the other Seinen manga I’ve read. Anyway it’s good, glad to see it getting an adaption.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm worried furries won't shut up about how Beastars is the Citizen Kane of anime like how they never shut up about how great Zootopia is. (I'm not making any comment about the actual quality of the manga. I even thought Zootopia was an ok film, just not a masterpiece of film.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just don't have it in me to get worked up about furries in 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's probably good practice to not let yourself get worked up over things that haven't happened yet, or that you may never encounter

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
As a furry... I thought Zootopia was a decent movie but no better than that. Stop worrying about us. It's 2019.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I liked zootopia, also the old u2 album zooropa

dogsicle posted:

it's probably good practice to not let yourself get worked up over things that haven't happened yet, or that you may never encounter

This is good advice.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
beastars came really really close to becoming wolfguy (literally) and I'm glad the author was able to get the hell out of that. All the Yakuza side story was dumb as hell and added absolutely nothing to the plot, so she did well to just scrap all of it

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

nerdz posted:

beastars came really really close to becoming wolfguy (literally) and I'm glad the author was able to get the hell out of that. All the Yakuza side story was dumb as hell and added absolutely nothing to the plot, so she did well to just scrap all of it

Woah that's, like, reeeaaalllly bad. I remember very briefly enjoying the heck out of Wolf Guy.

Is there a point where Beastars really grabs you? Granted I only read maybe 10 chapters when it was first getting translated but it didn't grab me all that much

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of character development and the carnivore/herbivore social Dynamics get a lot more complex. right now he's out of school so it's covering more stuff about the adult society, which is kinda boomerish and less PC than school

the author is a woman so I feel like touchier stuff is handled a bit better than usual.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So I finished Biomeat, since it looked like the one that would be easiest to digest of the horror mangas recommended earlier.

I liked the overarching storyline and the time jumps made it a pretty interesting read. The B-M's themselves were kind of whatever, but they worked as an antagonist (how people still didn't know how they worked 4 years after they destroyed the country was strange, though). The art itself was good, even if the art style was very early aughts. The characters really sucked however. I get that it's a shounen but everyone had exactly one dimension and it was the stereotypical shounen cast of characters with no deviation whatsoever. And while the story was good, the storytelling and pacing was kinda weird, and there was way too many "time to tell people about my conviction" moments.

Anyway it was a decent read. It has definitely aged though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Someone picked up the sequel to one of my favorite Mahjong Manga series: The legend of Koizumi with a follow up Princess of Zipang. This time our protagonist is a schoolgirl descendant from emperor Hirohito. For a series that had the Prime Minister fighting Nazi's and the Pope, we are off to a good start with the first challenger, Donald J. Trump.

Foxhound posted:

So I finished Biomeat, since it looked like the one that would be easiest to digest of the horror mangas recommended earlier.

I liked the overarching storyline and the time jumps made it a pretty interesting read. The B-M's themselves were kind of whatever, but they worked as an antagonist (how people still didn't know how they worked 4 years after they destroyed the country was strange, though). The art itself was good, even if the art style was very early aughts. The characters really sucked however. I get that it's a shounen but everyone had exactly one dimension and it was the stereotypical shounen cast of characters with no deviation whatsoever. And while the story was good, the storytelling and pacing was kinda weird, and there was way too many "time to tell people about my conviction" moments.

Anyway it was a decent read. It has definitely aged though.
I actually enjoyed the cast of the series despite them being paper thin. It's rare that everyone gets to live by the end of a horror series and they had a great group dynamic even if it was cliche as all hell. That being said the cast is filled with a lot of really dumb people who fail to understand how the B-M's work which really doesn't make sense.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 13, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know nothing of mahjong so I hope Trump's moves are all nonsense and terrible because he doesn't know how to play and bullshit through everything

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

I know nothing of mahjong so I hope Trump's moves are all nonsense and terrible because he doesn't know how to play and bullshit through everything

No such luck. The author is a hardcore Japanese nationalist. Trump's portrayed as a buffoon, but a talented mahjong player, which is the most important thing for a world leader to be in this manga.

So far, he's won against Enrique Pena Nieto by using the Great loving Wall (Suu Ankou, usually a game-winning hand).

This one's not quite as good, but it's still a monster of a hand.

He'll probably be some sort of ally against whatever ridiculous boogieman the author conjures up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is the kind of series you have to read with your tongue firmly in your cheek as it's essentially the Dragon Ball of tile based games. And you don't necessarily have to know how to play mahjong to enjoy it, but knowing the Yakuman (hands) lets you get a better idea of how good a hand really is. But regardless of how you feel about various politicians nobody is off limits for showing up or sticking around. But if there is one mistake the President made this time, it was challenging the main character who hasn't yet awakened to their true potential. That's never a good idea.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

No such luck. The author is a hardcore Japanese nationalist. Trump's portrayed as a buffoon, but a talented mahjong player, which is the most important thing for a world leader to be in this manga.

So far, he's won against Enrique Pena Nieto by using the Great loving Wall (Suu Ankou, usually a game-winning hand).
Posted the wrong picture

But in general between glorifying Japanese politicians, and assembling a super team of international leaders this series is just plain fun.

edit: And I just noticed that's an Attack on Titan reference as well.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 13, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it started as parody, but now all the depictions of world leaders as demigods who play mahjong seem uncomfortably sincere.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The sequel so far reads like more stupid fun with a dash of "justified war crimes", which was pretty much the original series really. Still think the stuff after the Moon Nazis in the first series was pretty unnecessary and I don't mind much that scanlation has stopped on that.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah I mean, it sure was a lot funnier a few years ago, now these are just sad. After you find out dudes like Putin go a long way to establish their strongman image with terrifying consequences (when he's a short old man with a squeaky voice), dumb manga like ride on King just throw salt on the wound as we get closer to a real world cataclysm.

I guess what I'm saying is we need a new akumetsu, but the world tour version of it. hopefully with a different writer/artist

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The new Kine-san chapter is out.

Kine-san is everything I've ever wanted in a manga that didn't involve, like, ninjas. And she probably loves ninja movies so it's fine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did she ever watch a Ghibli movie

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dawgstar posted:

Kine-san is everything I've ever wanted in a manga that didn't involve, like, ninjas. And she probably loves ninja movies so it's fine.

Thank you for bestowing Kine-san unto me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nerdz posted:

yeah I mean, it sure was a lot funnier a few years ago, now these are just sad. After you find out dudes like Putin go a long way to establish their strongman image with terrifying consequences (when he's a short old man with a squeaky voice), dumb manga like ride on King just throw salt on the wound as we get closer to a real world cataclysm.

I guess what I'm saying is we need a new akumetsu, but the world tour version of it. hopefully with a different writer/artist

God, Akumetsu was loving amazing. I'm surprised it's never been licensed or adapted.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Read it yesterday. LOVED that chapter better than most anything I've read this month since I 100% get where Kine is coming from.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

God, Akumetsu was loving amazing. I'm surprised it's never been licensed or adapted.

No joke, I was thinking about how great it would be if he existed in real life.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I had to drop it partway through because the fan translations got too poo poo, and it broke my heart. :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
People talk up Akumetsu a lot, but I'll be honest, 'vigilante fantasy by the people who did Wolf Guy' is not a hugely compelling pitch.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

People talk up Akumetsu a lot, but I'll be honest, 'vigilante fantasy by the people who did Wolf Guy' is not a hugely compelling pitch.
It's better in that it doesn't have an entire volume dedicated to a woman being raped repeatedly.

Akumetsu is mostly wild in that it's about guys mass murdering politicians designed to look like real politicians. Like imagine if an American comic had a vigilante throw literally Mitch McConnell out a ten story window and it looked exactly like him but he was named Matt Markcarnal or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a miracle that the wolf guy duo could produce anything good, but akumetsu is exactly that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's better in that it doesn't have an entire volume dedicated to a woman being raped repeatedly.

Akumetsu is mostly wild in that it's about guys mass murdering politicians designed to look like real politicians. Like imagine if an American comic had a vigilante throw literally Mitch McConnell out a ten story window and it looked exactly like him but he was named Matt Markcarnal or something.

Yeah, I'm just not entirely sure I trust the Wolf Guy author on who in Japanese society deserves to be murdered.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Wolf Guy was an adaption of an exploitation manga from the 70s. Kind of like how Mazinger Zero has a bunch Go Nagai manga type content.

Not that that hand waves the rape-a-thon but I find it funny when people get whip lash going from Akumetsu to their other manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Guyver posted:

Wolf Guy was an adaption of an exploitation manga from the 70s. Kind of like how Mazinger Zero has a bunch Go Nagai manga type content.

Not that that hand waves the rape-a-thon but I find it funny when people get whip lash going from Akumetsu to their other manga.

that excuse doesn't really work. it's not like someone forced them to remake the 70's rape-a-thon manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Akumetsu was a "You had to be there" moment. People were scanlating it here on the forums, and it was amazing up to the end. Wolf guy did not exist by then. Then when wolf guy started it was kind of cool at the beginning and then, welp