Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only game with a good gambit system is Tales of Hearts R because you just use it for the other party members and control yours directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tales of Woe posted:

Persona is a spinoff of SMT that uses SMT's demon collecting/fusing systems but calls them personas instead and adds the high school life sim / VN stuff

EO is completely separate, though the Persona Q games are Persona spinoffs with EO gameplay

Oh OK, thanks. Every time someone talks about how EO is "a dungeon crawler, but also anime" I keep thinking that I should pick one up, but I gotta look into them more. I guess I have enough stuff to play on my 3DS at this point...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Hello friends!

I have been moved into my new place for the last twoish weeks, got internet hooked up yesterday and am back and ready to game/chat about games/moderate Games about games. :D

I can now game every day of the week if I wish and I got super nice fibre internet. I am feeling exceptionally powerful right now. :twisted:

Welcome back! Hopefully the move itself wasn't too stressful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oh OK, thanks. Every time someone talks about how EO is "a dungeon crawler, but also anime" I keep thinking that I should pick one up, but I gotta look into them more. I guess I have enough stuff to play on my 3DS at this point...

EO is very good so I recommend it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Welcome back! Hopefully the move itself wasn't too stressful.

It was not as bad as I suspected it would be. I thought the cats might be the most stressed but one of them is exceptionally chill and has been enjoying having stairs to lie on. :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

EO is very good so I recommend it

Which one? Just jump right in with EO5?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

The series goes on sale fairly often, I suggest starting with Etrian Odyssey Untold since that's a remake of the first game but with an added story mode that contains some extra stuff you wouldn't get playing through the game normally as well as giving you a specific party that is tailored to the game itself so that you can more easily get accustomed to the game's mechanics for if/when you decide to play classic mode where you're in charge of making your own characters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

C-Euro posted:

any of the 3ds ones are fine tbh, there's no continuity or anything so you can jump in where ever. 4 and 5 are both real good, haven't played Nexus yet but I'm sure it's fine. if you feel like you'd rather have a more directed game to ease yourself in then check out the EO Untold games which are more structured like traditional jrpgs, but otherwise you can skip those two

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wouldn't start with Nexus but you can't go wrong with any of the other 3DS ones.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is etrian oddessey the one that had homestuck troll names

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

is etrian oddessey the one that had homestuck troll names

Etrian Odyssey 3 had a preview video where the employee playing had named his characters after Homestuck trolls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Are my eyes broken or do cutscenes in 60fps sometimes look kind of cheap or something

Its bc it's a closer framerate to daytime soap operas

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

60fps in games = good, tasteful
60fps in tv/movies = cheap looking

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Regy Rusty posted:

Etrian Odyssey 3 had a preview video where the employee playing had named his characters after Homestuck trolls

that’s sick

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

Its bc it's a closer framerate to daytime soap operas

Its a real strange phenomenon because like I've probably watched a combined 5 minutes of daytime soaps in my whole life yet anything at that framerate instantly looks like poo poo to me. Although if I didn't know that about soap operas I would have probably described it as looking like home movies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Its a real strange phenomenon because like I've probably watched a combined 5 minutes of daytime soaps in my whole life yet anything at that framerate instantly looks like poo poo to me. Although if I didn't know that about soap operas I would have probably described it as looking like home movies

Daytime soaps is just an easy shorthand, it just doesn't look like a movie. And as we all know, movies are the dark souls of television,

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Take-two: Red Dead Redemption 2 is selling so well, we are raising our revenue forecast for the year to $2.89 billion.

Investors: $2.98 billion or gently caress you!

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1093167757254946818

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Daytime soaps is just an easy shorthand, it just doesn't look like a movie. And as we all know, movies are the dark souls of television,

24 FPS video game doesn't look like a movie either

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Take-two: Red Dead Redemption 2 is selling so well, we are raising our revenue forecast for the year to $2.89 billion.

Investors: $2.98 billion or gently caress you!

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1093167757254946818

Unless you are literally a day trader, there is zero reason to pay even the slightest bit of attention to daily stock price changes. It doesn't mean anything.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I used to play action quake 2 on ~24fps back when my only pc was my dad's pentium 75 with no 3d gpu.

24fps in games is loving terrible is what I'm saying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I used to get a solid 18FPS in Red Faction and I still love that game.

I do not like 18 FPS

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Back in the day low FPS didn't automatically equal bad performance, sometimes it meant "the sheer awesomeness of what is happening onscreen is too much for your PS2 to handle." Nowadays I'm a huge elitist baby though and will refund anything on Steam that can't hit 60fps locked on my system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like intentional slowdown, it's a really cool effect when you do something so screen bustingly awesome that the whole fabric of the system buckles under the weight of it. I wish more games than shmups ever designed with intentional slowdown in mind

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Back in the day low FPS didn't automatically equal bad performance, sometimes it meant "the sheer awesomeness of what is happening onscreen is too much for your PS2 to handle."

Yeah that's pretty accurate, lmao. Also, many of the competently games made back then had the input work correctly, so moving your mouse by 5cm on your desk produced the exact same input every time independant of the FPS.

Many modern games today literally can't do that, so dropping fps doesn't just cause stutter, it often also makes input higly irregular which turns just about any game into trying to fight in molasses.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, the knife's damage in RE2 is tied to framerate, so people on PC were upping it to ridiculous levels to kill bosses in seconds.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Bless your poor performance, EDF games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I know a few games have the display option for "film grain", I never got why someone would want that, since, you know, there's no 24 fps opton

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i only eat gluten-free film these days myself

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does anyone here besides me call motion pictures “photoplays”?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in your daily nioh update news i wish it did a better job at communicating which combat skills are universal because i picked up the grapple and ki pulse on stance changing ones off the bat since i knew that they'd apply everywhere but i held off on getting the "boost your attack" and "ki pulse while dodging" ones because i thought i'd have to pick and choose them for the specific weapon i want to use. you could've just made a tab for "general skills" guys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I know a few games have the display option for "film grain", I never got why someone would want that, since, you know, there's no 24 fps opton

It's more than a few, almost every game I've played in the last 2 years ish has had film grain that I had to turn off. Video games have Film grain more often than movies lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also is there something about the odachi that makes it automatically ki pulse? i was using one the other night and it seemed to be setting them off automatically when i was using certain attacks (specifically the hilt bash one).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

It's more than a few, almost every game I've played in the last 2 years ish has had film grain that I had to turn off. Video games have Film grain more often than movies lol

you can't put film grain in movies anymore cause it'll look like garbage in streaming lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

people tend to prefer things with some texture on it, even if it's completely bullshit artificial visual noise. it seems kinda counterintuitive but it gives your eyes something to focus on and makes it easier to pick out details. you saw it a lot in last gen games where we got hd resolutions and high poly models but rear end quality textures, putting grain over a game like mass effect 1 for example just makes it more interesting to look at

most of the time it's not even really anything like film grain, it's just a perlin noise overlay. doesn't really have anything to do with film specifically though, it's just a shorthand

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The film grain texture in Mass Effect 1 was so bad, it was always the first thing I turned off.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

me1 looks like a HD N64 game with it off though, everything is nearly flat textured

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No way it is AT LEAST Dreamcast quality.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, when I first started me1 i was like "oooh film grain it's like i'm watching some old lovely SF flick from a bad master" and then 2 cutscenes later "welp, that's enough of that bullshit".

flat is better than bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

me1 looks like a HD N64 game with it off though, everything is nearly flat textured

i love big polys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The option to have film grain when they rarely replicate any of the other optical qualities of film (low depth of field, dynamic range, etc) baffled me as some kind of cargo cult thing